A Solo Trip: "The Heartbeat of Freedom!" July 2-9, 2018! *COMPLETED 10/14/18*

Joining in! Looking forward to hearing about your trip and your experience at SSR!
Thank you for joining in! I can't wait to tell everyone about this trip, as well as, experience staying at Saratoga Springs for the first time! :)

Hopping over from your other report. Interested to see if you like SSR and how it compares to your favorite ASMusic.
Thank you for joining in! I am keeping an open mind about SSR. It has never been my "first" choice of a DVC property stay at, but I'm excited to give it a try. Also, ASMusic is my favorite All-Star. It is not my favorite resort. My current favorite resort on property is the Polynesian.

Joining in for this report! I've read your last few but have always been too behind to comment. But I'm determined to get in on the beginning of this one and stay caught up. We'll see how that works out with my work schedule though. :rotfl:

I love reading about solo trips because I take them myself and always get ideas from others solo trips. I was so excited to read about the free backstage tour our at Rafiki's Planet Watch from your last trip. But of course they had to go and stop doing it now. :sad2:

Joining in for this report! I've read your last few but have always been too behind to comment. But I'm determined to get in on the beginning of this one and stay caught up. We'll see how that works out with my work schedule though. :rotfl:

I love reading about solo trips because I take them myself and always get ideas from others solo trips. I was so excited to read about the free backstage tour our at Rafiki's Planet Watch from your last trip. But of course they had to go and stop doing it now. :sad2:
Thank you for joining in! I am glad that you have gotten to read my previous trip reports, and I hope that you enjoy this one!

I always say solo trips are the best way to go...at least for me. Sometimes I can get lonely, but I quickly change that by going and enjoying different aspects of the Walt Disney World Resort that I know I enjoy.

That tour was really cool, and I hope they bring it back at some point!

Pre-Trip Planning!

Hi everyone and welcome to my new trip report! I’m starting things a little different this time by giving all of you a pre-trip update. I am mostly doing this to give all of you some behind-the-scenes insight into how I plan each of my trips.

I am now 6 days away from the start of my trip, and my planning stages will be coming to a close very soon.

I have experience planning Walt Disney World vacations from a year in advance to a week in advance. Recently, my Walt Disney World trip planning has been between a week in advance to a month in advance. This trip was a little different. I actually booked this trip about 5 and a half weeks before departure date. This offered some more flexibility in my planning stages. I didn’t feel rushed to get everything done. However, booking within 60 days limits things that can be done like fastpasses and certain dining reservations.

I knew I was going during a busy time of the year. Going over a major holiday brings the crowds, and booking things that I want can be a challenge.

The first major challenge of booking this trip was availability and price. I had a couple of minor issues with this.

1. My Annual Pass had expired by the time I booked so no AP discount.
  2. The renew date for my Annual Pass had passed so I couldn’t renew at a cheaper rate. I did however get an Annual Pass through the DVC discount since my Dad is a member.
As I was looking through availability, part of me didn’t want to stay at an All-Star Resort like I have on many of my past trips to Walt Disney World. I was really wanting a “different” experience instead of just going to the parks and sleeping on a bed. So, I looked at the Disney Vacation Club website, and to my surprise, there was still a week of availability at Saratoga Springs. I have never stayed at Saratoga Springs. It wasn’t on my list of resorts to stay at anytime soon. I would usually just use Saratoga Springs to walk to Disney Springs before 4 p.m. every time I wanted to go there for lunch or experience something there during the day.

So, I contacted my Dad and asked if he would want to use his membership sometime this year. He replied to me, “No” and said that I could use his membership for this stay, as well as, bank the rest of his points for the next “use year.”

So, my vacation was set 5 1/2 weeks before my trip by using my Dad’s DVC membership for a Preferred Deluxe Studio at Saratoga Springs Resort for a week. :)

I would then make my preference on a room. My preferences are:

1. Close to the Disney Springs walkway.
  2. Higher floor
I always like to be on a higher floor due to security reasons.

Picture from a previous trip.

So, after I plan my resort, do I book dining or do I book fastpasses? This is difficult, because I’m usually within the 60-day fastpass window and well within the 180-day dining reservation window. I usually end up booking dining first, and that was the case for this trip. The reason I always book dining first is…

1. Dining reservations can dictate your entire trip by what time you are eating to which park/resort you travel to that day.
  2. Most of the major fastpasses are most likely booked for my entire trip by the point I finally book a trip.
To my surprise, I was able to get all of the dining reservations that I wanted on my first try.

*Spoilers for my trip!*

Here is where I am currently eating on this trip:

• Be Our Guest lunch
  • Teppan Edo
  • California Grill (I have never eaten here, and I am really excited about this meal especially since it is on my final night of the trip.)
*More Dining Reservations might be added this week before my trip begins.*

So, the 3 places I was really wanting to eat at were available. I was mostly surprised about Be Our Guest and California Grill. Usually I have to go digging several times a day for Be Our Guest.

Next on my list of planning is usually which shows do I plan on seeing every night. That would then dictate where I might spend a whole day or maybe if I want to park-hop in the middle of the day.

So, after I book my resort, make dining reservations, and plan which shows to see each night, I can finally book my fastpasses.

I still needed to order my Annual Pass before I could make fastpasses so that was on my list to do next.

In regards to fastpass, there are a couple of things that is usually a “must-do” on every trip for me. My first day is usually always the same plus I knew exactly where I was spending July 3rd and 4th. So, my first 3 days were very easy for me to decide. It would be the rest of my trip that would be difficult to figure out.

I would get every fastpass that I wanted to for this trip besides the “big” attractions like those in Pandora and Toy Story Land. I was able to get a Na’vi River Journey fastpass for later in my trip, but it’s nothing like winning the lottery with a Flight of Passage fastpass. :D

After all of the “basic” planning procedures are over. Now it is time to have a little fun. By that I mean, can I add any “extras” to my vacation? So, I look at the Walt Disney World website to see if there is anything that I would actually like to do.

*Spoilers for my trip!*

So, I would book some “extras” and here is a list of the extras I will be doing on this trip:

• Disney After Hours
  • Marceline to Magic Kingdom Tour
  • Massage at the Senses Spa at Saratoga Springs (Definitely going to need this after a long week at Walt Disney World.)

The problem with booking “extras” is that sometimes it completely changes my schedule.

It is not uncommon for me to change my schedule several times before my trip actually begins. So, when I first booked the trip, I did make a schedule. Later on in my trip planning, I did make some adjustments. Now, I am currently adjusting my schedule for a 3rd time. I am almost done with my 3rd revision. It’s just really difficult because Walt Disney World is like making a puzzle. Trying to fit everything can be very difficult. That is where I am making changes on my 3rd revision. I am actually getting rid of a lot of plans outside of shows, entertainment, fastpasses, and dining. I am wanting to actually experience a Walt Disney World vacation where I actually “go with the flow.”

So, I hope you enjoyed this look into how my planning process is like. I can’t wait to get this trip started!

If you see me while at Walt Disney World, make sure you say hi! I would love to meet anyone that is following along on my trip! :)

Stay tuned for my live updates starting soon!

Sounds like it's going to be a great trip! I'm more of a go with the flow person myself. I know pretty much which park I'll be in each day and do book dining and FPs. But the in between times is up in the air. I usually have an idea of what I want to do during those times but I learned long ago that scheduling to much is frustrating if a ride is down or the wait is longer than expected.

My August trip was supposed to be a very cheap one with no add-ons but I just can't help myself. I ended up booking both Early Morning Magic and the Star Wars Dessert Party. I did think about doing Disney After Hours but it's on the night I have scheduled for AK. I haven't gotten to see Pandora at night so that's a priority for this upcoming trip.

Great post! Love to see the planning stages.
Thanks. Planning has always been stressful for me. However, I have been enough to usually know that I can do something at a certain time or not. So, normally I pack my schedule full of things with rides, shows, dining, fastpasses, entertainment, etc...Usually it works out, but this trip I am not putting as much as I normally do. I'm interested to see how this trip turns out.

Following along! I love planning a Disney vacation
Thank you for following along! Planning Disney vacations are always fun but stressful at the same time! :D

Sounds like it's going to be a great trip! I'm more of a go with the flow person myself. I know pretty much which park I'll be in each day and do book dining and FPs. But the in between times is up in the air. I usually have an idea of what I want to do during those times but I learned long ago that scheduling to much is frustrating if a ride is down or the wait is longer than expected.

My August trip was supposed to be a very cheap one with no add-ons but I just can't help myself. I ended up booking both Early Morning Magic and the Star Wars Dessert Party. I did think about doing Disney After Hours but it's on the night I have scheduled for AK. I haven't gotten to see Pandora at night so that's a priority for this upcoming trip.
I am more "go with the flow" when I go to Disneyland. That is probably because I was raised very close to the Disneyland Resort to the point that I have done everything so much that I don't need to do everything. Also, Disneyland is just very easy to "go with the flow." I don't know why, but I always pack my Walt Disney World vacations. This is definitely going to be a different trip than most of mine in the past.

When I go so much, it's very easy for me to want to add extras. It gives me something "new" to do. It also gives me a chance to do a repeat experience that I really liked or want to try again.

I think I would stick with your plan of Pandora at night. It is just so gorgeous! And really, if you aren't in the park and ready to go when DAH starts, it'd be a waste!

I think I would stick with your plan of Pandora at night. It is just so gorgeous! And really, if you aren't in the park and ready to go when DAH starts, it'd be a waste!

I agree with this.

That's exactly why I decided to skip DAH this time around. AK closes at 9 pm and DAH starts at 10 pm. I didn't want to be stressed trying to rush out of AK to make it to MK by 10 pm. Hopefully they will continue to offer DAH in the future so I can give it a try someday!

That's exactly why I decided to skip DAH this time around. AK closes at 9 pm and DAH starts at 10 pm. I didn't want to be stressed trying to rush out of AK to make it to MK by 10 pm. Hopefully they will continue to offer DAH in the future so I can give it a try someday!
I'm assuming DAH is becoming more of a year-round experience now that people can do. So, I'm assuming it will be around on another trip of yours.

Joining in!
Thank you for joining in! :)

Reader Poll!

Hello everyone! I would like to let all of you know that my planning stages are now COMPLETE! When I say complete, there is one thing that I have left in all of your hands. That is where I am planning to eat on one of my afternoons at Walt Disney World.

One of my days, I will be eating lunch at Disney Springs. I currently have Polite Pig listed on the schedule as a tentative location. There is one problem with that. That is I live in one of the BBQ capitals of America which is Kansas City. I do
really like barbecue though!

So, I am needing some help on where I should eat at Disney Springs on one of my afternoons.

Here are your options:

A. Polite Pig (location on my current schedule)!
B. Cookes of Dublin (I really like fish so this location actually interests me a little)!
C. Wolfgang Puck Express!
D. D-Luxe Burger AGAIN (I am eating here already on this trip at a separate point, and it is my favorite place at Disney Springs)!

I have never eaten at location A, B, and C.

The choice is yours!

To vote...Post the location of your choice in the comments and the location with the most amount of votes on Sunday at 3 p.m. Central Time will be the winner!

Last edited:
Reader Poll!

Hello everyone! I would like to let all of you know that my planning stages are now COMPLETE! When I say complete, there is one thing that I have left in all of your hands. That is where I am planning to eat on one of my afternoons at Walt Disney World.

One of my days, I will be eating lunch at Disney Springs. I currently have Polite Pig listed on the schedule as a tentative location. There is one problem with that. That is I live in one of the BBQ capitals of America which is Kansas City. I do

So, I am needing some help on where I should eat at Disney Springs on one of my afternoons.

Here are your options:

B. Cookes of Dublin (I really like fish so this location actually interests me a little)!
D. D-Luxe Burger AGAIN (I am eating here already on this trip at a separate point, and it is my favorite place at Disney Springs)!

The choice is yours!

To vote...Post the location of your choice in the comments and the location with the most amount of votes on Sunday at 3 p.m. Central Time will be the winner!

Hit reply before I replied.... I'm tired...
I haven't tried any but the one I want to try the most is cookes of Dublin. So that's my vote.

Last edited:
Reader Poll!

Here are your options:

The choice is yours!

If I was choosing one of those and had already eaten at D Luxe, I would go Polite Pig.

But I think in the end, it’ll be a day-of decision-do you feel like meat or fish? But I would go for someplace new; how else will you know if it would replace d Luxe as your favorite?!?

Reader Poll!

Here are your options:

The choice is yours!

My vote is for Polite Pig It is on my list to try in December so I would like your review.

Hit reply before I replied.... I'm tired...
I haven't tried any but the one I want to try the most is cookes of Dublin. So that's my vote.
Thank you for your vote. :) I actually never knew this place existed. I know Raglan Road existed, but I didn't think they had a QS. I don't know if it is owned by the same company or not.

If I was choosing one of those and had already eaten at D Luxe, I would go Polite Pig.

But I think in the end, it’ll be a day-of decision-do you feel like meat or fish? But I would go for someplace new; how else will you know if it would replace d Luxe as your favorite?!?
Well, considering I have planned out each food location and what I am already eating there, I don't think going between fish and meat will be much of a problem. I can usually have fish and meat on the same day of the week if I wanted. I might even try to get to all of these places. it just depends on how things end up. Thank you for your vote. :)

My vote is for Polite Pig It is on my list to try in December so I would like your review.
Hi Terry! Thank you for joining in and for your vote! We will see if Polite Pig wins. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter