A note about special order cakes.

katyringo

DIS Veteran
I want to share this bit of info in case anyone else has ordered a cake to be delivered.

We ordered a cake for our brunch at Donald’s seaside, when they brought out the cake it wasn’t anywhere near what we had ordered.

I’m usually not one to complain but they brought us basically the ghost of Mickey.. lmao. Their names not on it, and not even the flavor we asked for.

The chef met with me and told me this: the bakery is discontinuing the other cakes, but not notifying people. This is the cake the restaurant threw together.

The comped our ticket and then the chef delivered personal gifts to my kids and got us some extra character time. So they deff made the magic happen. I then used the $ we would have paid for the cake to leave a nice tip for our amazing waitress.

But if you ordered a cake I would call..

Screen shot 4B64FCD5-3D9F-4E44-97F0-B98F4B3C04B8.jpeg to show the very generic ghost of Mickey cake.. still special for my kids! I also did not tell my kids it was the wrong cake.

I think I briefly heard about this a while back on my AP Facebook group. Glad they gave you guys some Disney Magic!

Thank you for posting this! While it's not unusual for Disney to make sudden changes to longstanding programs, it's very odd that they're not telling guests about this change, especially guests who've already placed their orders. Hmmm... I'm so glad that the CMs at Donald's were able to make some magic on the fly for you and your kids.

That's just wrong they didn't notify you of the change! We've ordered a cake sent to our hotel for my last 2 birthdays and they were much fancier than this! Won't be ordering this cake for my next birthday.

I ordered the Haunted Mansion cake last year. It was beautiful and tasty, but even then, the limited options were a bummer. The new cake is pretty pathetic. I would be ticked if this sad cake showed up without notice. I get hangry when it comes to food and desserts!

Just an aside about a special order cake: When I worked at Club 33 in the late '90s, someone had an awesome all black frosting Mickey cake ordered for the lunch buffet. They didn't show, so right before we opened the doors for dinner service, the manager said we could eat the cake. Everyone: servers, bussers, and Matre'D dug in and all enjoyed the cake. One problem, the black frosting stained all of our lips and teeth black!

With just a couple of minutes before opening, everyone was crammed into the two guest bathrooms off the main hall trying to scrub the frosting stain off. Came off the lips ok, but not the teeth. Not as many smiling cast members that night!

Those Mickey Celebration cakes are what they have been using at Disney World for a while now, maybe Dec. 2016. They are certainly more interesting than a podium cake, but not a custom cake. I'm glad they took the sting out by spreading a little pixie dust, but what a disappointment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter