A nice sit down dinner close to Aulani....

IandGsmom

Just another crazy Disney lady
I've seen recommendations for Roy's and for Minas Fish House. I only want to do on and have not tried either. Which would YOU recommend and why?

Mina’s just has a great vibe. Great fun drinks and location. The food is very good - but take a look at the menu first to make sure it has things that would appeal to you. Downsides are it’s somewhat expensive and not a perfect sunset view. We held our daughter’s birthday dinner last year in the Hale and it was so nicely executed.

My experience with Roy’s is limited. I would say the location is not what we were looking for — it has a beautiful outdoor porch, but it’s on a golf course. We had a nice meal on the porch and the food was solid. It’s just not special IMO. Other people have raved about another Roy’s location that I want to try.

Noe at the four seasons is nice too - the food is excellent - but not necessarily looking for Italian food in Hawaii — and you are sacrificing the view. We did a private dinner on their little island area and it was nicely done.

People give rave reviews for the restaurant at the Marriott as well. Have not tried!

We ate at Mina's Fish House this past June. We made our reservation on OpenTable when we arrived at Aulani. The restaurant was booked during the early evening times so I would recommend making a reservation early on. It was a very quick walk from the Aulani lagoon entrance to Mina's.

My family (3 adults, 3 teens) enjoyed our dinner out on the large table facing the lagoon. It was a beautiful and cozy atmosphere with the string lights, fire torches and fire pits around the table.

The food was very good. Everything on the menu sounded delicious. We ordered a couple of drinks, several appetizers, a salad and soup, several fish entrees and a surf & turf. Plus my daughter ordered from the kid's menu since she didn't see anything she liked from the main menu. Our dinner was a little over $550.

On a side note, I've heard wonderful things about the La Hiki's Sunday buffet brunch at the Four Seasons. We were leaving for home on Sunday late morning, so we couldn't go. We're definitely going to try it out the next time we go to Aulani.

Mina’s is way better than Roy’s. The food at Roy’s doesn’t justify its price, and since the golf course is unlit, at night it seems like you’re sitting on the edge of an enormous, featureless black void.

I would 100% recommend Mina’s. We’ve always had amazing food and service. We love the easy stroll there from Aulani and of course the ambiance. My youngest ordered the lobster pot pie last time on our 20th anniversary, and the plating in front of us was an experience in itself.

0A2860A3-C94C-4539-B380-460F983E5F21.jpeg

2A9B3045-E0D3-47CC-A283-831E78C22D92.jpeg
And my hubby’s seared Ahi I think?​

I would 100% recommend Mina’s. We’ve always had amazing food and service. We love the easy stroll there from Aulani and of course the ambiance. My youngest ordered the lobster pot pie last time on our 20th anniversary, and the plating in front of us was an experience in itself.

View attachment 691356

View attachment 691357
And my hubby’s seared Ahi I think?​
We like Mina’s as well! But I would add a little more additional info, a little bit on the negative side. Last time we were there in May, it was monumentally crowded, the service was just ok, and our fish arrived lukewarm. We sent it back and when it returned it was fine. Also, we didn’t find it particularly filling, though that lobster pot pie definitely looks like a decent meal! I don’t think the fish comes with alot on the side. There might have been a vegetable, but not much of it. We don’t eat dessert, so both my wife and I left hungry. We each had an appetizer, which was pretty small, and a piece of fish, and the bill plus tip was about $250.

That said, the place serves very good fish, and so long as they sit you on their patio, as opposed to the overflow area by the pool which isn’t part of the restaurant (where they sat us, alas), it’s definitely worth trying.

Just an FYI, the Four Seasons has been limiting their restaurant reservations to resort guests at busy times. Several have said that they were not able to get in the past month because of that. It might not be the case when you go, just something to be aware of. Aulani does the same thing with Makahiki.

Just an FYI, the Four Seasons has been limiting their restaurant reservations to resort guests at busy times. Several have said that they were not able to get in the past month because of that. It might not be the case when you go, just something to be aware of. Aulani does the same thing with Makahiki.
Around Memorial Day, the Four Seasons did that to us, but not for either Noe or Mina’s, They have a great seating area right near the beach that serves delicious appetizers that can be a fun dinner. It had plenty of seating but when they asked for our room number and we said we were from Aulani, they wouldn’t give us a table.

I vote for Mina's. I had a wonderful birthday dinner there last week. Both food and service were excellent.

I've seen recommendations for Roy's and for Minas Fish House. I only want to do on and have not tried either. Which would YOU recommend and why?
We have done both. I'd look at the menu and decide based on what sounds good. Otherwise, Minas is closer so you could go with that.

I have not been to Mina's yet, but plan to go on an upcoming trip. I cannot offer a comparison, but my daughter and I have enjoyed Roy's very much, both times that we were there before (several years ago now). I usually got the fish recommended by the waiter. That meant that I was trying some new types of fish, and I enjoyed them a lot. Also, we ordered the chocolate souffle for dessert at the same time that we ordered the entrees. I thought it was excellent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter