A Luggage Question . . .

Wish Upon A Star

DIS Veteran
DH and I have never checked luggage, we always carry on our bags as we travel pretty lightand we don't like waiting around to get our luggage from the plane.

When getting to Port:

1. Can we just walk on with our carry-ons without checking them?
2. The night you put your luggage out, is that just for checked bags or do you have to put your carry-on's out of the cabin too?

Thanks in advance :goodvibes

You can keep your carry on bags with you. Keep in mind if you get on the boat for lunch before the rooms are ready you'll have to bring the bags to lunch with you.

Same applies to the night before. You can keep the bags with you and carry them off the ship yourself if you don't want to put them out the night before.

DH and I have never checked luggage, we always carry on our bags as we travel pretty lightand we don't like waiting around to get our luggage from the plane.

When getting to Port:

2. The night you put your luggage out, is that just for checked bags or do you have to put your carry-on's out of the cabin too?

Yes, you can walk on with our carry-on as long as it is no larger than 9"x14"x22" since it does need to fit through the security scanner (like at an airport). Just remember you will need to carry it with you (to lunch, etc.) until your stateroom is ready about 1:30pm.
You don't need to put out any carry-on luggage the night before you return. That is only for checked bags.

When getting to Port:

Are you talking about a 7 day cruise? I can't fathom a carry on for 7 days...

Are you talking about a 7 day cruise? I can't fathom a carry on for 7 days...

Nooo . .it's just a 4 day . . .:goodvibes then we are heading to the F&W Festival for 3 days . . .I plan on doing laundry on the ship.

I just hate checking luggage and having to wait for it to come off the plane. We've been traveling with just a carry-on now for years, it is soooo much easier! :thumbsup2

If your luggage was too large to be carried on (fit through the screener)...do you also have to put it in the hall the night before at the end of the cruise?:confused3 We were hoping to take it ourselves that morning. It is on wheels and shouldn't be an issue. Don't really like the idea of leaving luggage outside the door the night before.

If your luggage was too large to be carried on (fit through the screener)...do you also have to put it in the hall the night before at the end of the cruise?:confused3 We were hoping to take it ourselves that morning. It is on wheels and shouldn't be an issue. Don't really like the idea of leaving luggage outside the door the night before.
You can take your large luggage off the ship yourself, but remember you have to vacate your room and take all your luggage to breakfast with you.

We are going on our first Disney Cruise from NY to Canada. I'm wondering what happens with our luggage once we unpack it. Do they store your empty bags for you or do you have to keep them in the room? I'm trying to decide what kind of luggage to use, especially since there are 4 of us going. If we have to keep it in the room I'm worried that our hard sided suitcases will just be in the way the entire trip.

Thanks for your help!

Summary answer to all of above issues:

You can carry ON any bag that will fit thru the airport sized scanners, but YOU will carry or roll the bag until you have room access at 1:30.

Your bags will need to be stored in your room after unpacking (no, "they" won't take the bags somewhere for you.) On the Magic and Wonder, even big bags will fit under the bed if you LIFT THE BED FRAME and slide them under. The frame hangs down; if you just reach under it will seem like only a very small bag will fit. The beds on the Fantasy and Dream are higher; bags will slide under those beds without lifting the frame. You can also take the life vests off the top closet shelf and store smaller bags there (put life vests under bed).

When leaving the ship, you can opt to keep all your bags with you (not put them out the last night) or put them out--your choice. If you put them out, you will reclaim them in the terminal. If you keep them with you you need to take them along to breakfast (whatever time you are scheduled or go to the pool deck). When you vacate the room for breakfast, you are to be GONE so they can do the room. They can't start your room for the next guests if your luggage is still there--rules/security. SO, you take your luggage to breakfast and then off the ship Any size can go off with you--no limits.

Also, just because you carried the bag on the airplane, doesn't mean you have to carry it on the ship. You can leave small roll-a-board luggage with the porters and have it delivered to your room later. Same on the reverse. You can leave the small suitcase out in the morning for claim in the luggage room, rather than shlepping it around the ship to breakfast, etc.

Also, just because you carried the bag on the airplane, doesn't mean you have to carry it on the ship. You can leave small roll-a-board luggage with the porters and have it delivered to your room later. Same on the reverse. You can leave the small suitcase out in the morning for claim in the luggage room, rather than shlepping it around the ship to breakfast, etc.

That's good to know too.

You can leave the small suitcase out in the morning for claim in the luggage room, rather than shlepping it around the ship to breakfast, etc.

The last time they will pick up luggage to bring it into the terminal building for you is about 10:30pm on the last night -- not on the last morning. Anything you have that hasn't been picked up by the stateroom hosts by time they go off duty the night before, you have to carry off in the morning. So you do have to schlep it to breakfast. The stateroom hosts are too busy trying to turn over the ship to do another luggage pick up in the morning.

You are also able to lock your luggage if you are putting it out at night and claiming it in the morning at the port.

DCL makes it very easy to claim your bags in the terminal. They are placed into sections by character and then are placed in room order so you can easily find your luggage.

If you are using the service where they take your bags and you don't see them until you get home, you might not be able to lock them.

You are also able to lock your luggage if you are putting it out at night and claiming it in the morning at the port.

DCL makes it very easy to claim your bags in the terminal. They are placed into sections by character and then are placed in room order so you can easily find your luggage.

If you are using the service where they take your bags and you don't see them until you get home, you might not be able to lock them.

While we were able to find our luggage in the correct character location, it was not in room order. We had 6 pieces of luggage for two rooms and they were all over the section. In fact one of them was just being added to the area as we arrived there.

:cutie:

FWIW You don't have to go to breakfast at the crack of dawn in the preassigned MDR's. You don't have to eat breakfast in the buffet. Many folks don't eat breakfast. Those that don't of course can leave their stateroom by 8am and walk off with whatever luggage they are comfortable carrying, whether none, or all. I know posters are being thorough with the explanation, but not once have I seen this written. We will set out most luggage the night before, possibly hit the buffet in am, then move our way to the atrium to view the depressed folks leaving, then be dragged off the ship by security, kicking and screaming at 9 am. :lmao:
JMT

Regarding the port carry on xray scanner, is it really only 9 inches tall? From my experience the airport ones are well taller than 9 inches. I do see on DCL site that says it's 9 inches, and that fact is reiterated here, however, many roll on's are much taller when laid flat. Everyone says the DCL carry on scanners are similiar to the ones you would encounter at the airport. My concern is our old carry on roller bags, which we hope to use, are taller than 9 inches.

Jet Blue's web site actually breaks down the carry on bag dimensions depending on which of the two aircraft they use, and you end up on. Their A320 says 12 inches tall, the E190 says 10 inches tall. Point being if these carry on bag heights get through the airport scanners wouldn't they get through DCL/Port scanners too?

Any thoughts to my disbelief in 9 inches?

TIA

How do you get around the 3oz liquid restriction? Can't see 3 oz of shampoo toothpaste and cologne lasting a whole trip.

How do you get around the 3oz liquid restriction? Can't see 3 oz of shampoo toothpaste and cologne lasting a whole trip.

Don't fly.:lmao:

No seriously, just place those items in the checked bags for the airlines. Those rules are for carry on airline luggage only, not DCL. DCL has no liquid restrictions.
DCL will have shampoo and such. Never heard about toothpaste being supplied on DCL though ironically.

If your flying, place as much as possible in checked bags. Careful with all sorts of batteries. This is the new issue related to fire / combustibles. Pack batteries properly, or carry on.

I see know I may have misinterpreted your inquiry. DCL has no restriction on liquids. In fact you can carry on as much liquid of any sort, as long as it isn't explosive, and it is not checked with the porters.

You could fly down dry, stop by store, buy as many liquids as you want, and carry them on board, no ice, and you must keep them with you, carry on, not check them.

HTH

You're asking the OP, right? The one that doesn't routinely check luggage?

Remember, each person can bring a baggie. 3 oz of cologne is a HUGE amount of cologne. Toothpaste not quite as huge, but you don't have to just have *one* 3.4oz tube in your baggie. Shampoo is doable, even with my long thick hair, because I buy 3.4 oz containers at the store and fill them with my shampoo. It's actually quite a lot of shampoo, and I can put more than one in our baggies if I wish to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter