A kid-oriented dining plan!

A word about ordering: there is no substituting allowed for those baked beans except for applesauce, so if you don’t feel like beans or applesauce you are out of luck with any of these meals, dining plan or not. Some people were ordering a side of fries or cole slaw on top of the meal and then giving away the unwanted beans or leaving the applesauce on the condiment bar for others

When we were there in May they let us substitute cole slaw for the baked beans. I'm so glad we got lucky! Didn't care for the beans at all, but enjoyed the cole slaw. :thumbsup2

Your review is going great! I'm not sure who is the pickyer eater in my house, my DS who is 4 or my DH who is 48!! You are definitely giving the pros and cons the way I need them spelled out! I've always gone to WDW with myself, or other adults, or with Middle School kids, so going with a preK will be a new experience! I am looking forward to more!

I'm really enjoying your dining report. We are going next year with ds6, dd4, and dd1 and I've been thinking about doing SiFi, Ohana, and trying to decide whether or not to do Akershus Princess Storybook or CRT for a Princess meal. I'm really looking forward to your review on Akershus and am now defintely going to do SiFi and Ohana. I can't wait, it sounds yummy!!!

Hi all, thanks for sticking with me!

Hi mamasha! No, I didn't have to ask for the children's meals, I actually didn't know they had any kids' choices! The waiter came by as we were finishing up our salad and said, "Oh, let me get something special for the kids". A few minutes later the kids' choices came out with our appetizers. Definitely ask if your server doesn't mention it! It was nice for the kids to have things they liked and we were not the only table that had it so it must be pretty common :)

bfila, I wonder if it was just the day we went or just our cashier? I love cole slaw and am not a big fan of baked beans on hot days! Oh well, it was just one thing of many.

Okay, up in a few... Akershus!

Akershus Princess Storybook (Epcot World Showcase: Norway)
Dinner (4:30pm)
Characters: Ariel, Jasmine, Aurora, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland

Food-

Kid Rating: * * * *
Parent Rating: * * * * *

Atmosphere-

Kid Rating: * * * * *

Would we come back?

Kids: (Tink says): YES! Can we right now please?!
(Peter says): Huh? There was a princess dinner?
Parents: Yes! But if I can get into Cinderella’s Royal Table we’ll give that a try first princess:

Only five minutes late this time, WHEW but did we ever hustle! Learn from our example and be early!! Luckily there was about a ten minute wait from when I signed us in until our name was called, so I was able to catch my breath and compose myself a bit before we went in to meet the princesses. Gracing us with their presence this evening were Ariel (at the entrance taking pictures, wearing a turquoise ball gown), Princess Aurora, Princess Jasmine, Snow White, and Alice in Wonderland (not a royal princess, but a royal friend!).

What we ate:
Tink: The shrimp from the appetizer bar (surprise surprise). Cheesy ravioli, chocolate milk, and half the chocolate mousse cake.

Peter: Some ham from the appetizer bar. His own plate of cheesy ravioli (ate about half, and it was a large serving!), chocolate milk, and the other half of the chocolate mousse cake.

Donald: A little of everything from the appetizer bar (shrimp, pasta, meats). Traditional Kjottkaker (this was a large meatball in a yummy gravy-like sauce, mashed potatoes with VERY tasty seasonings, and vegetables). He had an ice tea and most of the lingonberry cheesecake.

Me: A little of everything from the appetizer bar, pasta Akershus with salmon (should’ve gotten the kjottkaker), a Coke, and a few bites of each dessert!

Food Details

YUM! My favorite was the cold appetizer buffet, and I went up a few times during the meal since the pasta I ordered was not very impressive. At the buffet there was shrimp (the kind you peel) so Tink was in heaven, and there was also this wonderful shrimp salad with teeny tiny shrimp that Donald and I LOVED. I had so much of it, yum! I also tried the pasta salad, which was okay, the orange marmalade chicken salad (very good!) and some meats (salami, ham) and cheese (muenster) with these cracker things they had that were okay. As for our little Peter, being a bit more a fan of “comfort foods”, he stuck with the ham and had his fill, but refused to try anything else. Other than the ham I didn’t see much on the cold buffet that would appeal to a picky eater, so keep that in mind. They did have regular sliced bread if you want to make a ham sandwich. The main course came and I tried a few bites of Donald’s Kjottkaker and WISHED I had gotten that instead of my pasta (I almost did too, it was a last minute switch to the pasta). My pasta wasn’t bad at all, it was in a creamy green sauce that was okay, but it just didn’t have that much flavor and wasn’t as fantastic as Donald’s. I had bad luck with pasta in general at Disney… oh well. Anyway, Donald ADORED his meal and scraped his plate clean. We had spent the morning at Typhoon Lagoon, mainly snacking all day, so the kids were pretty hungry. Even though they had pizza as a kid’s option, I wanted them to have a heartier meal after all that swimming, so we ordered them the ravioli to share, which I knew they also liked. Our waitress let us know that Peter could have his own meal free of charge (nice!) so we ordered him the same so they wouldn’t argue. Tink almost finished her ravioli plate (on top of all the shrimp!), and Peter ate about half of his (which is a lot for him!), so I’m glad he had his own serving. When dessert came out Donald and I each had a taste of the chocolate mousse cake (absolutely heavenly, *sigh!!* ) and then dutifully relinquished it to the children (lucky little monkeys). They gobbled their halves up while Donald and I shared the lingonberry cheesecake, which was also INSANELY yummy. The rice pudding was good too, but no one’s favorite in our family so we only each had a few bites. As a parent I give the food five stars because there were a lot of nice options for different tastes, pizza, pasta, meatballs, chicken etc. From the kid’s side I give it four stars instead of five only because the appetizer bar might not appeal to every kid, although I’m sure if they at least tried it they would be happily surprised

Atmosphere Details
The restaurant looks like a small castle, so it worked really well for the princess-theme. After sign-in you need to stay nearby because they don’t give out a light up pager thing, they just call out names and the poor guy calling them that night wasn’t all that loud (you could tell he was trying!). Inside the place was cool and very royal-looking. Tink kept calling it Ariel’s castle, I think because Ariel was the greeter, and she remarked that Ariel must invite her friends for sleepovers and that the bedrooms were upstairs LOL! The restaurant was staffed with Norwegians, and our waitresses’ accent added to the fairy-tale atmosphere of the whole meal. She taught us how to say hello and thank you but I can’t remember how now! She also chit-chatted about Norway, and how the Kjottkaker here was almost as good as her mom’s. Very sweet, friendly CM and she was very helpful too. And now, the princesses… oh the princesses!!!! Forgive me while I sidetrack to Tink’s reaction to these idols of the Disney realm. Yes, my Tink was completely twinkly-eyed... star-struck... breathless with anticipation when she realized who exactly was at dinner (we hadn’t told her, hee hee!). Back at Crystal Palace we also hadn’t told her about Pooh Bear either, but her reaction to the princesses was completely different. She just couldn’t stop smiling, and instead of her chatty, outgoing self, she became tongue-tied whenever a princess was nearby, smiling even more but not answering the princess with more than the slightest nod. When she did talk her voice was oddly low and the princesses had to lean close to understand her, so it looked like they were sharing some special secret. It was all very magical and very worth it, like watching one of those Disney World commercials with your own little girl in the center of it all *sniffle* Okay, mushy sidetracking all over. The princesses were great, though at first Tink was so starstruck that it seemed they were going to pose for a picture and leave without much interaction at all! She hadn’t said a word to Ariel up front, or to Jasmine, so while we were waiting for Aurora (who was absolutely gorgeous) I noticed a lively family nearby asking Snow White all about the dwarves and living in a cottage, and she was just chatting up a storm with them, so when Aurora came by I struck up a conversation with her about the good fairies, and asked if she’d had much time for berry-picking since waking up. Aurora stayed for quite a while then, much to Tink’s starry-eyed delight. Tink finally “woke up” and told Aurora about her Sleeping Beauty birthday party, and Aurora said she remembered it, then gave her a bright red kiss on the cheek (Tink about melted and wore it all evening). Snow White came by next, and Tink LOVED her voice. Alice was next, and she was bubbly and adorable. Tink never fully snapped out of the princess trance, but she was able to form sentences with them by the end of the night. Despite staying for about an hour and forty minutes, we never felt rushed at all, quite the contrary! Our waitress kept refilling our glasses and chatting a bit with us before heading off again. For atmosphere as a kid (for a girl anyway) it’s five stars hands down. Tink talks about this as her favorite restaurant in the whole world. As a parent, five stars for sure, I feel very lucky to have seen this much happiness in my little girl.

Other Details

One thing we noticed at this character meal as opposed to Crystal Palace (and later at Chef Mickey’s), is that the princesses don’t keep circulating, so they come to your table only once. At the other meals the characters kept meandering through the restaurant, which gave the kids a chance to warm up to them (Peter actually willingly posed in a picture with Mickey the second time he came around!). Maybe others have had a different experience, but I just thought I’d let you know so in case your little one is too shy to interact the first time, there might not be another chance. We were there a long time enjoying the atmosphere, and even though the princesses didn’t come back Tink was in heaven just watching them float around the room from afar so it was okay. As for Peter, he entertained himself drawing in his autograph book, and rarely even glanced up at the princesses. Snow tried to engage him a bit but he only looked up at her for a moment and went back to his drawing. I wouldn’t say he was bored, but the princesses might as well have been more waitresses to him. Another thing, and I know this is probably a no-brainer to most of you, but I didn’t bring her a princess dress to wear and I really wish I would have!!! Tink normally doesn’t like wearing her princess clothes in public, so I didn’t realize the effect that the other little girls’ dresses were going to have on her. I could have stuffed the poofy thing into my backpack or stuck it in a bag and hung it on the stroller just in case, and at least she would have had the option, but I didn’t, and she mentioned it a few times. Lastly, I became very well acquainted with the bathrooms due to some issues with Peter, and they were clean, had enough stalls so I never had to wait, and weren’t cramped at all.

The Final Word

I couldn’t get into Cinderella’s Royal Table, so this was my second choice and I’m very pleased with how it all turned out. If we do CRT then we’ll skip this one next time, only because I don’t imagine we’ll do more than one princess meal per trip. Next time I’m going to do everything I can to get into CRT because ever since meeting the princesses Tink has been talking about wishing she could visit Cinderella in her castle someday. Akershus was wonderful, and I’m sure this won’t be our last visit, so if CRT is too hard to get into or too expensive for your family, feel confident that Akershus will be an absolutely magical experience for your little princess!

Finally!! dining reviews with young children in mind, I really enjoyed reading your reviews, I have 2 little ones myself and this has helped me a great deal
Thanks!!

:surfweb: :surfweb:

Thanks for the reply. I was really worried about our Ohana ADR.
Your review has been so helpful!

Thank you for this report! These are great dining reviews. I'll be taking my son for the 1st time this September. He'll be 13 1/2 months so I'm in "kid zone" while trying to plan my meals.

Fantastic reviews :cool1: Very helpful even for someone who has been there alot. Thank you for taking the time to post these :thumbsup2

Thank you for this report! These are great dining reviews. I'll be taking my son for the 1st time this September. He'll be 13 1/2 months so I'm in "kid zone" while trying to plan my meals.

OT but we are big Bills fans here on Long Island!

Thank you again for your wonderfull reviews they have been realy helpful. We're flying down to London tonight and out to Orlando tomorrow so the atmosphere is reaching fever pitch in our home!!

Your a star for helping out all us frazzled parents...Best regards from Kirsteen

Thanks for all the support guys, I'm trying!! I'll get the next review up later today... this past weekend was a busy one!

Have fun on your trip 2scottishprincesses!!!!! I know exactly what you mean by "fever pitch", you could cut the excitement in our house with a knife right before our trip (and the kids didn't even know!). I can't wait to hear how your trip goes and again, HAVE FUN!!!!

Chef Mickey’s (Contemporary Resort)
Breakfast (11:00am)
Characters: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto

Food-

Atmosphere-

Would we come back?
Kids: YES!!!!!
Parents: YES!!!!! If we had to choose only one repeat restaurant, this would be the one!

Late as usual, by about fifteen minutes :guilty: The CM didn’t say a word, just gave us a cheerful smile and handed us our light up pager. We had been at the Magic Kingdom that morning and took the monorail over, which wasn’t as fast as skipping over to Crystal Palace, but it was still very quick and easy (for future reference here was our timeframe: we left Tomorrowland at about 10:45, were out of the park by about 10:55 but hurrying, were at the monorail station about five minutes later in time to just miss one, caught the next one about 10 minutes later and were checking in at Chef Mickey’s at around 11:15). I should’ve called this the Late to Every ADR dining review!

What we ate:
Tink: Minnie’s breakfast pizza, Mickey waffles (2 of them), bacon, strawberries, hashed brown potato patties (like, 4 or 5)!, and a chocolate donut with gummy bears on top (Why? Because we’re in Disney World). And a chocolate milk!

Peter: A bite of Mickey waffles, pancakes, grapes, strawberries, blueberry yogurt and some gummy bears. Orange juice to drink.

Donald: Goofy’s vegetable breakfast lasagna, seasoned breakfast potatoes, buttermilk biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, Pluto’s corned beef hash, and sausage links.

Me: Three cheese omelet, challah French toast (four pieces! I’m such a pig), bacon and cheese potatoes, plain bacon, strawberries, hashed brown patties (these are at the kids area), and a rice crispy treat.

Food Details

Oh boy, we ate our hearts out at this one! Donald and I love breakfast foods, and with the time difference the last breakfast seating was just when we were getting really hungry. I really enjoyed Crystal Palace, but the buffet counter at Chef Mickey’s was about twice as long, with a lot of extra choices. Everything was hot, fresh, and so deliciously yummy I had to keep reminding myself to take it slow! As a bacon lover, Crystal Palace had yummier bacon (it was the perfect crisp-crunchiness), but Chef Mickey’s was also good, not chewy or anything. My absolute favorites were the French toast (soooo soft!), and the hashed brown patties from the kids’ side, gosh they were so crispy and tasty, I ended up loading up a plate for Tink and I to split since we both couldn’t get enough! I must’ve eaten at least four or five (or six!) Tink LOVED the Mickey waffles, I tried a bite and they were super yummy! If it wasn’t for the French toast I would’ve gotten those too! I also tried some of the Goofy vegetable breakfast lasagna, but I didn’t like it. Donald loved it and had seconds, but I thought the vegetables were too overpowering. He also loved the biscuits and gravy. The pancakes were always ready on the tray, which was nice since that’s Peter’s favorite. He ate fairly well, but Tink really surprised me by how much she packed away, especially considering all the character interaction. From both parents and kids, I couldn’t think of anything more I’d have wanted from a breakfast, and watching Tink gobble up her meal and ask for more was enough for me to give it five stars all the way around!

Atmosphere Details

The restaurant is very fun, and as usual, we settled in for a nice long meal, figuring it would be a good chance for a break and the kids would be entertained by Mickey and the gang. We weren’t disappointed, (except by our waiter, details below). The characters themselves were downright silly and so cute!!! We met Donald, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, and then, Oh Joy, Mickey himself! Peter was so excited when Mickey was across the room, he was bouncing up and down and pointing, but when the Big Cheese was finally at our table Peter lied down on the booth seat and refused to come near. We knew better than to push the issue, and told him to wave to bye-bye to Mickey, and that we’d see him later. Miraculously, with enough time and after seeing the other characters come by for the second time around, when Mickey appeared once more Peter waved hello to him, and then willingly smiled for a picture Hooray!!!! By the end of the meal he was giving any character who would come near a high-five! So if you have a younger child and you’re worried about the characters frightening him/her, I suggest planning a really long meal and only just waving at the characters the first time around. Don’t even attempt to engage him/her or take a picture until the second time and you may be happily surprised! As for Tink, she was skipping along to the napkin swinging parade and loved every second of it! She gave them all hugs and showed Minnie her Minnie Mouse shirt and just loved collecting autographs. It was great to just enjoy good food and watch our kids have so much fun. And we all laughed when Donald played a trick on Minnie (he tied her bow to a chair so she was stuck). I scolded him later, but he made an angel’s halo with his hands above his head and then laughed. There were a lot of these hijinks, I can’t remember them all but it was very cute to see Donald get jealous of the attention any other character got (especially if you mentioned Mickey! Donald is #1!). The restaurant was about half empty when we left, and we were rested and full and in great spirits. I can’t imagine giving such a wonderful place anything less than five stars!

Other Details
Our waiter. The poor guy. I’ve never seen a CM look so bored and disinterested before! And it was from the moment he rattled off about it being a buffet and told us that the characters would be out shortly. There wasn’t a smile to be had from the fellow, and that didn’t change throughout the meal. But we can’t fault Chef Mickey’s because of one waiter’s poor attitude, especially when everyone else from the hostess to the character “body guards” were cheerful and so much fun! Our bored waiter gave us the check while we were still on our first plate and I was barely cutting up Peter's pancakes (hahaha! He had no idea how long we planned on staying!) but we didn’t worry about him, let him heave another sigh, there were plenty of other diners and CMs having a wonderful time!

The Final Word
For our family, Chef Mickey’s was the perfect way to spend our last full day in the World. The characters were incredibly engaging, and being the classic “fab five” made it feel all the more magical and Disney. Mickey was sweet and humble when we complimented his restaurant, Minnie was adorably bashful when we joked about Peter having a crush on her, and even sat next to him on his booth. We spent a lot more time playing with Mickey and friends here than we ever dreamed we could have (especially waiting in autograph lines). It was an incredible experience!!

Great reviews! What is the vegetable lasagna like at Chef Mickey's? I've never seen it mentioned before. I can't wait to read more. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter