• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Haunting, A Run, & Some Food & Wine: 3 Fall 2013 Trips - Complete

Fall Trip #3 - Dining Plans

Outside of the Food & Wine Events I have booked for F&W, I only have 1 breakfast booked.

AxGXDGk.png

I did add another Wine Seminar for the 2nd. I know on Saturday, its going to be super busy at the actual booths so staying away from the World Showcase seems to be a better choice during the day.

Fall Trip #1: Updates & Plans

Our Rush of Fear tickets arrived!
P6ytPb5.jpg

We picked these tickets as they were cheaper than individual night tickets. $72.99, if you are a Florida Resident, will get you admission to every night for the first 3 weekends of events. So if we end up really enjoying HHN - we have the option to return on October 5th during Fall Trip #2.

Now that I have tickets, we finally can have some plans!

September 20th, 2013

4:00PM - Leave Naples & head to Orlando
7:30PM - Arrive at Portofino Bay Hotel, check into room, grab something quick to eat
9:00PM - Arrive at Halloween Horror Nights - yes, I know we are heading in 2.5 hours after this night opens. The event lasts until midnight but we might not be able to get more than 1 or 2 houses done before close. I'm hoping to get the Cabin in the Woods house done at least this night & possibly Evil Dead.

September 21st, 2013
12:00AM - Slowly wander out of the park after close back to Portofino
1:00AM - Bed!
9:00AM - Knowing us - we won't sleep in much more than this. We'll have a relaxing morning with breakfast at the hotel. I will then head to the spa for a facial and body polish. My husband will probably head to the Fitness Center for his daily work out. We'll eventually meet back up to get ready for our second night of HHN.

4:00PM - Early Dinner @ The Kitchen at Hard Rock Hotel. We obviously want to be fed before we enjoy the drinking and scares.

5:30PM - Night #2 of Halloween Horror Nights. We will try to get as many houses done as possible. Enjoy some rides, etc.

September 22nd, 2013
12:00AM - Slowly wander out of the park after close back to Portofino
1:00AM - Bed!
?:??AM - Whenever we decide to wake up, grab a quick breakfast, drive back to Naples.

Fall Trip #2: Detailed Plans

Now that the only reservation I'm missing in California Grill (which luckily I can reserve tomorrow) - we finally have our trip plans detailed!

October 4th
12:00PM - Leave Naples and head to Disney
3:30PM - Check In at Bay Lake Towers
4:00PM - Head to Wide World of Sports for Race Packet Pick Up & explore the Expo
8:00PM - Dinner @ the Wave

October 5th
6:30AM - Head over to Polynesian to take WWoS bus to the race
8:00AM - Haunted Trails 5K
11:00AM - Be back at BLT to clean up, change, etc.
12:00PM - Head over to EPCOT
1:00PM - Lunch @ Tokyo Dining - We are going to need some carbs for recovery & to not get completely drunk at our next event & sushi sounds like a great way to do that
2:30PM - Taste, Shake & Indulge @ Monsieur Paul
4:30PM - Head back to Bay Lake Towers, Clean Up
7:40PM - Dinner @ Jiko - I moved this reservation back as I figured our 6:00PM reservation would have been too rushed with our earlier plans. At least if we show up early, we usually can get seated without too much of a wait.

October 6th
7:30AM - Breakfast @ Contempo Cafe
9:00AM - Animal Kingdom Opens! We haven't been to Animal Kingdom in 2 years so we may spend more time here than we usually do
11:00AM - Lunch @ Yak & Yeti
Afternoon: Either more Animal Kingdom time or spend time in Magic Kingdom
6:00PM (hopefully) - Dinner @ California Grill

October 7th
7:30AM - Breakfast @ Contempo Cafe
9:00AM - Magic Kingdom Opens
Lunch will be at whichever counter service is closest to us when we are hungry
Afternoon break at hotel
6:00PM - Dinner @ Yachtsman
Possibly, extra magic hours at Magic Kingdom after dinner

October 8th
7:00AM - Breakfast in Room
8:00AM - EPCOT Opens! Play in Future World
11:30AM - Signature Lunch @ Le Cellier
?:??PM - Head back to Resort after Lunch - go swimming
6:00PM - Wine Dinner @ Citricos

October 9th
7:00AM - Breakfast in Room
9:00AM - Hollywood Studios Opens
11:00AM - Head to Downtown Disney for some shopping, etc
12:30PM - Lunch & Bowl @ Splitsville!
6:00PM - Dinner @ Artist Point

October 10th
9:00AM - Hollywood Studios Morning #2
10:30AM - Head over to EPCOT
11:00AM - Graze more F&W Booths
3:30PM - Head back to Hotel
6:00PM - Signature Dinner @ Flying Fish

October 11th
Dis_Yoda's Morning:
9:00AM - EPCOT Opens!
10:00AM - Kitchen Memories

Mr. Dis_Yoda's Morning:
TBD - Visit whatever park he wants to

Together Again!
12:30PM: Graze more F&W Booths
4:00PM - Back to hotel
6:05PM - Dinner @ Narcoossee's

October 12th
?:??PM - Whenever we wake up, head back to Naples.

I'm sure at night after dinner, we will head up to Top of the World at our hotel at least a few times.

You really have a few fun times planned this fall!

We are booked at the Wave the same night as you at 6PM since we're doing the Wishes cruise, but we're hopefully changing to CA Grill tomorrow.

We are both booked into the Grand Mariner event Saturday so we'll have to say "hi" :wave2:

I'm in! :cheer2:
Your plans sound like so much fun!
I was tempted when I saw the parisian breakfast too, but being so close to real France and having spent some time living in Paris, I thought that it could be a little disappointing... I'm not sure, maybe I'm wrong and it's amazing and should try to book :lmao: Can't decide!

Your plans are looking good!!! I have never been to Universal and especially not HHN. I think both sound fabulous...BUT...I'm just not sure that I can cheat on Mickey. I think one day it will happen...I won't be able to ignore the urges...but until then I will live vicariously through those of you visiting Universal! :rolleyes:

Your October Disney plans are looking good also. You have so much packed into your days, but it is well balanced. I hope you will do reviews of all the Food & Wine special events that you do. We aren't doing any events...just sampling at the booths.

You really have a few fun times planned this fall!

We are booked at the Wave the same night as you at 6PM since we're doing the Wishes cruise, but we're hopefully changing to CA Grill tomorrow.

We are both booked into the Grand Mariner event Saturday so we'll have to say "hi" :wave2:

We are going so late since if I get dragged into something at work or we're dropping our dogs off at a new boarding facility, it may take some time, we may not get to leave at the time I originally planned on us leaving. Since we have to get our race packet pick up - I want enough time to not feel rushed. Plus we figured we shouldn't go far from the room that night. At least The Wave isn't super busy usually and we can walk in early if we are ready. I hope you were able to get your California Grill Reservation today!

I'm in! :cheer2:
Your plans sound like so much fun!
I was tempted when I saw the parisian breakfast too, but being so close to real France and having spent some time living in Paris, I thought that it could be a little disappointing... I'm not sure, maybe I'm wrong and it's amazing and should try to book :lmao: Can't decide!

Thanks for enjoying our plans. I could see being close to France & probably being disappointed in their version of a French Breakfast. I just couldn't get over what the cost would be for pretty much a breakfast buffet. (Yes I know that sounds totally against my normal mode as I spent an entire bonus check on special events) I would go to the normal $10 to $15 demos first or something like a Food & Wine pairing if you wanted to do a special event but not dive too deep into the pockets.

Your plans are looking good!!! I have never been to Universal and especially not HHN. I think both sound fabulous...BUT...I'm just not sure that I can cheat on Mickey. I think one day it will happen...I won't be able to ignore the urges...but until then I will live vicariously through those of you visiting Universal! :rolleyes:

Your October Disney plans are looking good also. You have so much packed into your days, but it is well balanced. I hope you will do reviews of all the Food & Wine special events that you do. We aren't doing any events...just sampling at the booths.

I don't see it as cheating on Mickey. Then again, I'm now within 3 hours of Orlando. Its a lot easier for me to separate out these trips and still feel like I'm not missing out on my Disney time. Granted we aren't doing the parks just the special event. We'll probably do a long weekend after the new parts of Harry Potter open up as we last did a long weekend in 2009 so we've missed a few big updates since then.

We have to see if we actually stick to the plans I have. This past July - we spent more time at the hotel than I originally thought we were.

I don't see it as cheating on Mickey. Then again, I'm now within 3 hours of Orlando. Its a lot easier for me to separate out these trips and still feel like I'm not missing out on my Disney time. Granted we aren't doing the parks just the special event. We'll probably do a long weekend after the new parts of Harry Potter open up as we last did a long weekend in 2009 so we've missed a few big updates since then.

We have to see if we actually stick to the plans I have. This past July - we spent more time at the hotel than I originally thought we were.

Since I love in KY...right now we can only afford a trip about every other year. I am such a HUGE Disney fan that once I arrived in Orlando it would be hard to pull myself away from Disney and go to Universal.

I have managed to squeeze in a short girls weekend at Disney this coming February, but I know our next trip after that won;t be until Fall 2015. That is...unless I hit the lottery...then all bets are off! ::yes::

Since I love in KY...right now we can only afford a trip about every other year. I am such a HUGE Disney fan that once I arrived in Orlando it would be hard to pull myself away from Disney and go to Universal.

I have managed to squeeze in a short girls weekend at Disney this coming February, but I know our next trip after that won;t be until Fall 2015. That is...unless I hit the lottery...then all bets are off! ::yes::

I 100% understand that. We are really lucky that we are able to travel as much as we do (but we're DINKs) but it wasn't always travels for us.

Which weekend in February? My husband & I are down there Feb 5th to 9th at Animal Kingdom Lodge. (Super excited too as we have Be Our Guest, the special Safari Dinner, and California Grill for our anniversary) Hopefully BoG gives us the gray stuff! I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing a trip report or a dining report for that trip. I typically only do dining reports except for cruises but for these fall trips - a trip report made more sense.

I 100% understand that. We are really lucky that we are able to travel as much as we do (but we're DINKs) but it wasn't always travels for us.

Which weekend in February? My husband & I are down there Feb 5th to 9th at Animal Kingdom Lodge. (Super excited too as we have Be Our Guest, the special Safari Dinner, and California Grill for our anniversary) Hopefully BoG gives us the gray stuff! I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing a trip report or a dining report for that trip. I typically only do dining reports except for cruises but for these fall trips - a trip report made more sense.

The boyfriend and I are slowly becoming better savers and have both managed to pay off/eliminate most of our debt. This is allowing us to travel a little more and do some fun things, but it's still a work in progress.

I will be in Disney with 3 girlfriends on President's Day Weekend. Feb 13-17. I know it will be crazy crowded, but we are all off work on Friday, Feb 14 and Monday, Feb 17, so we only had to take 1 personal day. :thumbsup2 I won't be doing a PTR for that trip, but I MIGHT do a TR when I get back. I guess it really depends on how long it takes me to write the October TR. :lmao: Your dining choices for Feb sound great! I can't wait to hear about all of them.

Fall Trip #3: Detail Plans​

November 1st

11:30AM - Leave Work & Drive to Disney!
......Taking a half day so I can not worry about traffic and missing my event that evening

3:00PM - Arrive at Wilderness Lodge & Check In
......Hopefully my room is ready. At least if I get the studio w/o the balcony, I won't care as I'll barely be in my room. Notes: I still have a waitlist for BWV & BCV for this weekend. I truly doubt they will come through at this point though.

4:30PM - Catch a light dinner @ Territory Lounge
......I'm not entirely sure how much food is going to be offered at Spirits Confidential, if any, and there are 2 items in the lounge I've been really wanting to try since I first read about them, Cheddar-Beer Fondue & Drunken Doughnuts. Since I'm staying at VWL in a studio - I have no excuse to not go and enjoy food here as it isn't out of my way. Obviously this will change if by some miracle my waitlist comes through.

5:30PM(ish) - Head to EPCOT
.....Enjoy living with the land, walking off my small dinner, take night time photography

7:45PM - Spirits Confidential @ World Showcase
.....Eat, Drink, Be Merry!

10:00PM - I have 1 of 2 options here - either rush out at the end of my event to beat the illuminations crowd to the buses or take the really slow route and wait until after the end of the rush. I haven't decided nor will I until the day of. Either way, its bed after this!

November 2nd

8:00AM - Hollywood Studios Opens!
.....Enjoy TSM, Tower of Terror, RnRC, Star Tours, Muppets Store Shopping
10:30AM - Take a leisurely boat ride over to EPCOT
.....Enjoy a handful of booths
12:00PM - Beverage Seminar - Ice Wine
1:00PM - Either enjoy a booth or two or spend time relaxing in the Festival Center Shopping
2:00PM - Beverage Seminar - The Great Whiskey Debate
3:00PM - Culinary Demo - Some guy from Atlanta, Making Tuna Dishes
4:00PM - I'm also debating here between 3 options.

Option 1: Head back to Wilderness Lodge for clean up/relaxation/etc for about an hour

Option 2: Relax in the Chase Visa Member Lounge @ American Adventure

Option 3: 50 Minute Spa Appointment @ Swan/Dolphin for like 4:45pm/5:00pm (This also gives me an option of having a shower before PotS, like Option 1)

Option 4: Cross my fingers & toes that my waitlist will come through within the next month.

Afterwards:
7:15PM - Party of the Senses Reserved Seating
.....Nom nom noms

10:00PM - Same as the night before ;) I have 1 of 2 options here - either rush out at the end of my event to beat the illuminations crowd to the buses or take the really slow route and wait until after the end of the rush. I haven't decided nor will I until the day of. Either way, its bed after this!

November 3rd

I'm currently debating between two options for this morning:

Option 1:
8:05AM - Breakfast at Captain's Grille
.....Enjoy yummy chocolate waffles
9:00AM - EPCOT Opens
.....Rides in the morning!

Option 2:
8:00AM - Animal Kingdom Opens!
.....Safari, Everest, Dinosaur
10:30AM - Head to EPCOT

Option 1 is less stressful. I'll probably go with that one.

Afterwards:
12:00PM - White Truffle Lunch
.....I can't enjoy too much of the wine sadly as I have to be able to drive home but at least I get to enjoy the food

3:30PM - Begin my 3 hour journey home :(

The only bad thing about your trip is the consideration on the drive home. That's one of the reasons we bought at VGC, so that we could do nighttime events and not have to drive home, but you have an afternoon event and have to drive home. That's the only downside. otherwise plans sound great!

When we go to dinners and stuff, Fran stops drinking when the serve the red wines because that's about the halfway point. I get the rest of her wines and then she is sober enough to drive home. We're only 1/2 an hour away, so it's a little easier, or harder, depending on how you look at it!

The only bad thing about your trip is the consideration on the drive home. That's one of the reasons we bought at VGC, so that we could do nighttime events and not have to drive home, but you have an afternoon event and have to drive home. That's the only downside. otherwise plans sound great!

When we go to dinners and stuff, Fran stops drinking when the serve the red wines because that's about the halfway point. I get the rest of her wines and then she is sober enough to drive home. We're only 1/2 an hour away, so it's a little easier, or harder, depending on how you look at it!

Yeah it is the consideration of driving home. If I stayed Sunday night though, I would have to wake up at 3:30AM in order to get to work in time & that also doesn't sound like a pleasant solution as I drive the backroads to and from Disney & hitting a panther/deer/etc just doesn't sound fun to me. But the lunch is 3 hours long so that means I can get to enjoy about 3 to 4 glasses of wine without too much worry. It is a 3 hour drive so I don't want to get too sleepy for it. At least its only 1 event out of the many I am attending that I have to worry about how much I drink at. Everything else, Disney (or a taxi) can drive me.

Most wine dinners I end up with my husband's wines. He doesn't enjoy them as much and is the sober one when driving home. My monthly tequila dinners have toned down the amount of alcohol given so that driving home isn't unsafe anymore. (Its still a very good amount of alcohol though) This is a good thing as the first 3 I went to - if I wasn't with someone else, I couldn't have driven home.

Fall Trip #2: Running Update​

The past 3 weeks, both my husband & I have been bad about working out. Our shoes were badly needing to be replaced & we've been lazy about getting replacements.

We finally went shopping tonight for them.

What's with the current trend of shoes for running being so bright? I don't like it!

w0VOQRF.jpg

There were about the least bright I could get without risking support for running.

My husband however, loves orange. He had no problems finding something he liked.

O9Th8qk.jpg

We were going to go to the gym to try them out tonight but that didn't happen.

~~~

The Disney Parks Blog posted about a new purse being released this fall.
1236258_10151905723783274_1495766855_n.jpg

Its only $330 but I'm already plotting on how to buy it & not feel guilty along with all the other money we spent on events.

I feel you on the running shoes. Why is it so hard to find ones that aren't 15 different neon colors meshed together? Don't understand the ugly sneaker trend.

I am plotting on the HM purse as well! I already know I am picking up a Disney Vera Bradley hipster this trip, but I am trying to justify a second purse purchase.

I feel you on the running shoes. Why is it so hard to find ones that aren't 15 different neon colors meshed together? Don't understand the ugly sneaker trend.

I am plotting on the HM purse as well! I already know I am picking up a Disney Vera Bradley hipster this trip, but I am trying to justify a second purse purchase.

I have no idea why its gotten so bad with the shoes. I also have no idea when it started either but its been years since I've bought new running shoes. I tend to not buy a lot of shoes outside of what I need to buy & only replace as needed. I seriously only own 10 pairs of shoes - 3 pairs of flip flops, 1 pair of work flats, 1 pair of coach tennis shoes, 1 pair of formal black flats, 1 pair of steel toe boots, (now) 2 pairs of running/work out shoes, 1 black heels, 1 tan heels, 1 brown heeled boots.

Well the hipster is a lot different than the HM purse - totally justifiable! One is subtle Disney & the other isn't. I'm bad about spending money on myself on physical object until my husband tells me that so I'll probably splurge.

General Trip Rambles​

10 days until Trip #1

&
24 days until Trip #2
&
51 days until Trip #3

Waivers came out today for our Run Disney race. I got our Bib Numbers :cool1: 1829 & 1830.

Apparently they don't corral for the 5k though? Or at least, nothing that I can find. :confused3

There is also a free 5k on Saturday here in Naples for the YMCA that burnt down earlier this month due to lightening. We may do that to see where exactly we are at with our training.

~

I've also been debating on express passes for HHN. Some of the guys at work are saying you really need them - but part of me thinks that we do have 2 nights with the potential for some more if we really wanted during fall trip #2.

~

Other foodie rambles...

I may attend a champagne & chocolate event on the 18th of September at Shula's Naples.

I have my September Tequila Dinner on the 25th of September.

There is also a local craft brew festival on October 19th.

Shula's is also having another Wine Dinner on October 30th that I'm still debating on as well.

I'm going to have to keep running to keep up with all this good food & booze!

Three fall trips! :love: I've never done any of the extra demonstrations or events at F&W, so it was fun reading about all your plans. And the closest I'll ever get to HHN is reading about it, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience there too. :)

I think the trick to buying good running shoes is completely giving up on looking nice in them. The ones that feel the best on my feet are NEVER the ones I actually want to be seen in. :scared1:

Three fall trips! :love: I've never done any of the extra demonstrations or events at F&W, so it was fun reading about all your plans. And the closest I'll ever get to HHN is reading about it, so I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience there too. :)

I think the trick to buying good running shoes is completely giving up on looking nice in them. The ones that feel the best on my feet are NEVER the ones I actually want to be seen in. :scared1:

Thanks for joining in!

The extra demos and events are what keeps me coming back year after year.

I know I have to give up looking nice in them but I'm weird. I hate neon colors on me so having to deal with it is no fun. At least the ones I ended up with weren't too bright even with the lime and orange.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter