A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick update. We are here and the Grand is the Grand. Who cares about the construction. Our room looks directly on the pool construction and the bad news is that I don't believe that they have done anything. DVCi is shaping up. I know not everyone is a fan of this but we are members so we can't wait. We are having an amazing time. Staying Sugarloaf. CMs have been awesome. Gave us "fast passes" for Be Our Guest Lunch today so we didn't have to stand in that line. Just went to the kiosk ordered and went right in. Amazing experience. THe new Alice themed water play area looks GREAT. Wish it was warm enough to play there. Don't hesitate booking (in my opinion). I think the staff is working very hard to make the experience amazing despite the construction. Will have more soon but we are late for Citricos (after a manicure for DD14 and a massage for me) then to Epcot (hopefully) for EMH later.

thanks for the update! it sounds like your stay is off to an amazing start! :goodvibes

thanks for the update! it sounds like your stay is off to an amazing start! :goodvibes

So far so good. Hit so many things at MK today and then with the manicure/massage and citrico's dinner - decided late to skip EMH at Epcot in the hopes we can get up early enough to be at Epcot tomorrow to avoid the lines since times were still a bit daunting to go out late tonight.

Is this resort as overrated and disappointing as everyone says? We are deciding between this and the boardwalk inn. Thought it would be a tough call but everyone says boardwalk inn hands down is better. What's the deal with that?

Is this resort as overrated and disappointing as everyone says? We are deciding between this and the boardwalk inn. Thought it would be a tough call but everyone says boardwalk inn hands down is better. What's the deal with that?

i don't think the people that routinely post on this thread really think of the GF as overrated and disappointing. :confused3 so i'm not really sure how to answer that.

My dh just staid at the boardwalk. He definitely liked it more than the Poly (gasp! from the Poly-lovers). He did like the evenings on the boardwalk and the choices for eating.

His first choice would still be GF. It has never disappointed us. We have found the staff to be the best and enjoyed our stays there.

Sorry if this has been asked......

We're planning on bringing my parents and in-laws to Disney in July. Their 1st time there and wanted to really plan a great vacation for them. It's also my parent's 50th Anniversary and my 50th birthday this year that we're celebrating. Just wondering with the construction going on if it will affect their enjoyment of the pool areas etc. I am positive they will love the GF but I know they wouldn't want to see much construction either. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks!

We are headed to GF in October. So excited! We will be staying in Sugar Loaf Concierge and I am just wondering if someone know what types of food are offed throughout the day. My 2 year old son will be with us and I am trying to figure out if/what I need to order from Garden Grocer.

It's all subjective and a matter of opinion. We've stayed a few times at GF and after one stay at BWI, we bought a resale DVC contract with BWV as our home. Regardless of how much we love the BW (and we do, a lot) there is still a certain beauty and granduer of the Grand Floridian that can't be found anywhere else. If anything, I would say the BW is more "homey" and the GF is more "classy". You can't step into the lobby of the GF in the evening and not get blown away.

Not to all the people that post on this thread :) We made the "mistake" of staying at GF once and can't imagine staying anywhere else. We also enjoy the monorail and all the great dining options that this gives us along with the beautiful resort and grounds. We loved the pool & spent every afternoon there. I can't imagine being disappointed! But your idea of a great resort & mine might be different. I believe the rooms at GF are larger than Boardwalk as well and that was important for my family.

It's all subjective and a matter of opinion. We've stayed a few times at GF and after one stay at BWI, we bought a resale DVC contract with BWV as our home. Regardless of how much we love the BW (and we do, a lot) there is still a certain beauty and granduer of the Grand Floridian that can't be found anywhere else. If anything, I would say the BW is more "homey" and the GF is more "classy". You can't step into the lobby of the GF in the evening and not get blown away.

Agree with you here. We own DVC at BCV and BLT (and Aulani) and love those but we really like staying at the GF once a year or so and we ALWAYS go to dinnr somewhere at GF on every trip.

Another quick update. We head home tomorrow night so I thought I'd pop in and let folks know a few things.

1. Overall the staff has been great. Melissa in Sugarloaf concierge - the best. Just so helpful. The food service folks in concierge also amazing. I haven't seen them say "no" to anyone - even the guy who asked for bacon and waffles this morning (really???). and keep a smile.

2. One bad apple we have dealt with - Janice. Grumpy and unhelpful. Asked her - and this is an exact quote: "on the off chance we can get a late checkout tomorrow, it would be really helpful since I am here with a teenaged daughter." If not until 1, any additional time- even a few minutes - would be really helpful. Then the inquisition: What are you plans tomorrow? Because if you are going to a park and don't get back in time, security will come to your room and remove everything. Whaaaaaaat?????? Needless to say she got us no extra time. Not a HUGE deal but the attitude was.

3. I have blogged in the past about "concierge pigs" and they are out in full force again. I've seen some epic eating episodes and beer gathering as well. Haven't even been in the lounge that much, but when we have, wow. DD was so taken by it she took a picture at the evening cocktail hour.

4. Food in lounge has been okay. Not great. Not as good as I remember from last time here and definitely not better than our Yacht Club concierge stay a year or so ago. Again, that being said it's no biggie because we don't depend on the lounge for our evening meal but those who do......

Not meaning to complain here but my post yesterday had all the positives so I thought i'd balance it out to show that we aren't brainwashed completely (yet). Still a GREAT daddy-daughter trip - really have had so much fun and bonded even better. Just a few things "off" IMO.

we will have a theme park view main building during our upcoming stay. can anyone describe for me where they are located and what the view is? i mean, i know it is a view of the mk, lol. ;) but what else am i looking at?

looking on the map they appear to be at the very end of the hallway, overlooking the marina, but was curious if there are other possibilities, as well.

thank you!!

we will have a theme park view main building during our upcoming stay. can anyone describe for me where they are located and what the view is? i mean, i know it is a view of the mk, lol. ;) but what else am i looking at?

looking on the map they appear to be at the very end of the hallway, overlooking the marina, but was curious if there are other possibilities, as well.

thank you!!

That's exactly where they are at, on the 3rd and 4th floors. There are a total of 18 rooms (9 each floor). Your immediate view is the marina with the castle in the background. Sago Cay to your left, Sugar Loaf and Conch Key to your right. You can also see the monorail in the distance. And, of course, the fireworks (Wishes) at the MK.

Another quick update. We head home tomorrow night so I thought I'd pop in and let folks know a few things.

1. Overall the staff has been great. Melissa in Sugarloaf concierge - the best. Just so helpful. The food service folks in concierge also amazing. I haven't seen them say "no" to anyone - even the guy who asked for bacon and waffles this morning (really???). and keep a smile.

Did they get him his bacon and waffles??? :) thanks for sharing your thoughts! Enjoy your last day.

Sitting on the auto train after checking out of our Grand vacation this morning. Sad to leave, but we couldn't have had a better stay if we tried! We were in Boca Chica, TPV.

At the conclusion of my stay I found the same atmosphere as I did at the start - it was the same old place. Disclaimer: we adore this place, and we're total addicts. We stayed at BLT in October and disliked it very much, so coming back to the GF was like coming home. Even with the construction it would have been hard for us not to have a 'better' stay than we did during our last trip!

A few observations about:

Gasperilla's
-Finally - a new ice cream machine! No more struggles! Ha.
-The smoothie machine had a 'service after 30 days' message flashing, and then said it had been like 193 days since service. Oops :P
-The expanded drink area was very nice. If you're a tea drinker though like me and get a refillable mug try to go with someone else who has a cup, and have them wait till you get your tea so you can use it too - the hot water spigot is too short for the refillable mugs!
-Maybe it was that some rooms are (rumored to be) taken out of inventory because of the construction, or the time of year but the resort was pleasantly uncrowded, and so was GG. In the past we've had to wait/search/hope for a table, even during the slow times. But with the increased seating we never had an issue. And oooh la la is it beautiful in there!
-The menu has changed, and to us not for the better. While it was still above average when compared to other CS/Resort options and everything we got was good, some of the new items just didn't compare to the old. We miss the lobster mac and cheese especially.

Resort
-We were there 9D/8N and only one day were we like "whoa that was loud". We saw measurable progress on the DVC (pre-fab room shells being loaded/some already in place, most of roof is on and wood starting to line the outside of the building) and saw/heard people working on the pool most days. We even spent a half day at the pool in a Cabana and didn't find ourselves bothered one bit.
-That being said, the blue walls are unavoidable. By the pool, the water feature, walking to every building. Meh.
-The movies at night still go on, and they were as fun as ever. If a little cold until a CM gives you a blanket. The recreational staff there is really top notch.
-Speaking of the staff - again, maybe it was colored by our experiences at BLT, but it was so nice to be around a smiling, genuine (seeming at least) staff that was pleasant and welcoming.

I saw a bounceback offer in the room but I don't recall what it was. We're at the end of our annual passes, so we won't be back for a while. Sad. I'm so, so glad we decided to stay here instead of trying something new. Because while that might have been just as awesome, it wouldn't have felt like home! :D Here's the pictures I took of the resort - I meant to take more, but I got distracted by my vacation, ha!

Untitled by carinkal, on Flickr

electricsoup i loved your "review" of sorts! thank you! i can't see the pics, if there is any different way to post them i would love to see!

They are awesome views!! Do you mind me asking if that was an upgrade and what they charged if it was? We are going March 14th for a week and i requested Boca Chica lagoon view. Thanks and glad you enjoyed your stay!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter