A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
k&a&c'smom--
Thanks so much for the wonderful new thread!! It is amazing- I know it took a long time to put together and we all appreciate your hard work! :hug:

Thanks, everyone! I hope to have it finished by the end of the week.:goodvibes

So, with construction going on, should I book at the Polynesian or Contemporary instead? I know we want a monorail resort...

Well, it is up to you. The construction is noticeable, no way around it. I can honestly say, if I got a decent discount I would book at the Grand for the upcoming year. If not, I'd have to look elsewhere. The resort has a different feel in the outer courtyard, due to the pool games moved there from the beach pool. However, you may not notice anything if you haven't stayed at the GF in the past.

Inside, everything feels much the same as usual. The lobby is gorgeous and relaxing, with the music in the afternoon and evening. A beautiful retreat.

It is very hard to tell anyone NOT to book, but I can't urge people to stay while the construction is going on, as it will have some impact on your stay. How much it bothers you is a personal thing, many posters have recently been to the GF and said it wasn't enough to keep them from the resort they love so much.:cloud9:

HTH!:flower3:

CoachBagFanatic - I read your reply about the cabanas, very good plan!:thumbsup2 I should have thought about you having time to cancel after you saw it on your own, that is the same advice we all gave to several others.;)

Actually very interested to see the construction...

Might be the bait to drag us back into the DVC ring... :cool2:

Headed down for our first 4th of July at Gflo... :thumbsup2

If you need anything or pics... let me know.. We are Sugar Loaf bound.. :wizard:

CoachBagFanatic - I read your reply about the cabanas, very good plan!:thumbsup2 I should have thought about you having time to cancel after you saw it on your own, that is the same advice we all gave to several others.;)

I thought it was a good plan also. Hey if I can't pack yet, I have to keep myself occupied with something. :lmao::rotfl: I keep changing my dining ressies too.:laughing: Man I have a problem.:rotfl:

Speaking of packing, DH said that he wasn't going to bring the suitcases out until the day before we leave.:scared1::rotfl2:

As always, kacs, a beautiful and gorgeous thread! :thumbsup2
Love the new pictures you've added in!

THANK YOU for everthing you do for ALL of us GF junkies! :worship:

So excited for everyone going to the GF soon!:goodvibes

Good morning! The new thread is wonderful. Is it wrong I am going to miss the old one :confused3 k&a&c'smom, you did an amazing job and all the photos are wonderful. There is a reason the expression "a picture is worth a thousand words" came about. Descriptions are great but photos tell the story. One thing though...the picture of the view from the GF to the Poly pre-construction :sad2:

I wanted to post this link is anyone is interested. AllEars had a link to current GF DVC photos. It is well done and give you a scope of what is going on.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/compon...an/1964-may-2012-grand-floridian-photo-update

I have to echo what k&a&c'smom said about the construction and booking the GF. My family has been staying there for years, our first stay in 1991, when my kids were little (they are young adults now) and we have probably stayed there over 20 times since then. I gather k&a&c'smom and her family are in a similar situation. Having your kids grow up with the resort one way makes changes hard (I sound old :scared1:). As long as you know what the construction looks like then you can enjoy the resort in all it's glory :goodvibes I would never suggest that someone not book the GF, but I would always advise getting a good handle of the construction before making your decision.

Coachbagfanatic, I missed the post about what you are doing about the cabanas, but I gather from responses you can cancel when you get there if you chose to? Great plan.

CoachBagFanatic - :laughing: Whatever works.;)

HFC1969 - Good point!:thumbsup2 We'll be looking forward to any and all photos, if I think of something specific before your trip, I'll be sure to mention it. Thanks!

Just browsing through the new thread - awesome! Just an FYI though, these links didn't work for me?

OH, thank you for pointing that out - if anyone finds a broken link, speak up.

I forgot, I moved those photos to a new folder in my Photobucket account, I need to fix the link.:thumbsup2 Headed there right now.

k&a&c'smom

Wow...great updated thread!

Thank you so much for your efforts and your help!!!

I love this thread. Thank you so much for all your hard work. Can't wait for our upcoming trip in October.

Lulu'sMom - thanks!:hug: How is the pool exercise going? Good, I hope.:thumbsup2

brsirak - thanks for the compliment, and you're welcome.:goodvibes Everyone who posts here contributes to the knowledge base, I just compile it.:grouphug:

beckysko - I decided to add the menu rather than links, see how I like the look of it for a while.;) I have a 2011 menu, I think it is the same, but I need to find it to be sure. My scanner is out of commission at the moment, but I think I can get it to work if I need to - not sure why I left the 2010 menu when I got the new one!:confused:

As I said, I think it is mostly the same, although someone recently mentioned they do not have the lobster mac 'n cheese now. (WDWKOOK, was that you?)

Jungle Cruiser - I know, it's hard to see those photos of the view toward the Wedding Chapel and Poly, isn't it? I left them there for now, I just couldn't delete them yet.:sad1:

I did go in after your comment and add that these were prior to the DVC construction, but I may end up putting in something else in their place. They are still on the old thread, right?! (consoling myself, lol)

Thanks for that link, I hadn't looked at allears recently - I'm off to view their photos.:goodvibes

Does anyone have experiences with being Gluten Free and staying CL?

I've gone gluten free since our stay in SL last Sept, so this is new territory for me. Looking back at what we had as far as food choices- the options may be limited for me.

I received the email from IPO a few days ago to fill out so I'm guessing I just need to mention it to them?

Any first hand knowledge or experience would be awesome-

Thanks!:goodvibes

Does anyone have experiences with being Gluten Free and staying CL?

I've gone gluten free since our stay in SL last Sept, so this is new territory for me. Looking back at what we had as far as food choices- the options may be limited for me.

I received the email from IPO a few days ago to fill out so I'm guessing I just need to mention it to them?

Any first hand knowledge or experience would be awesome-

Thanks!:goodvibes

I know that the chef will help anyone out with dietary restrictions. You can mention it to IPO, but the more important thing is to talk to a concierge CM when you get there, and they will have you talk to someone from the kitchen. They will let you know what you can have and will also provide options.

JoBird - someone recently posted they had asked about gluten free options, and it was noted on their reservation. When they arrived, the Chef met with them and provided suggestions and maybe even special food items? I hope whoever it was reads this and posts. ETA: I see Jungle Cruiser is on top of it!:goodvibes

micknme - thanks, very sweet of you. October is a wonderful time in the World, one of our favorite months.:banana:

beckysko - I decided to add the menu rather than links, see how I like the look of it for a while.;) I have a 2011 menu, I think it is the same, but I need to find it to be sure. My scanner is out of commission at the moment, but I think I can get it to work if I need to - not sure why I left the 2010 menu when I got the new one!:confused:

As I said, I think it is mostly the same, although someone recently mentioned they do not have the lobster mac 'n cheese now.

Looks good - although you might add a link to somewhere that includes prices? (Oooooh so easy for me to say, sitting here on my couch watching you do all the work). :rolleyes1

JC-- thanks so much for that info! I will make sure to talk with a CM once we check in. I know it's a long time away yet, but it's best to be prepared. I didn't want to have to head to Publix or Whole Foods once we got on property.

k&a&c'smom-- y'all are both just so fast!:thumbsup2 Thank you!

Beautiful new FAQ, k&a&c'smom. Thanks for your work. :flower3:

Don't know if everyone has seen this link with photos of the construction:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Dis...s-grand-Floridian-DVC-Resort-construction.htm

We returned from a WDW trip last week. Wonderful time as always. Although we didn't stay at the GF, like k&a&c'smom, we couldn't stay away. :goodvibes Had a lovely lunch at the Cafe and another day we were at the GF for breakfast. Does anyone have simple :rotfl: directions on posting a photo from an iphone? I emailed it to myself and some friends but it appears upside down when I open it. :lmao: Anyway, they started work on the second level of one wing while we were having lunch last Monday.

While we were there, no pool games were going on so the courtyard was peaceful as ever. I actually thought the activity pool looked busier than usual. Maybe guests who never venture that far actually notice the pool now. I suppose for a couple hours in the afternoon when the games are going on, the noise would affect some guests. For guests who spend the afternoon in the parks, I doubt there is any difference.

The lobby was as peaceful as ever.

Hope everyone is well. CoachBagFanatic, I know you are getting close!

Looks good - although you might add a link to somewhere that includes prices? (Oooooh so easy for me to say, sitting here on my couch watching you do all the work). :rolleyes1

:rotfl: No worries! Good idea, it didn't even occur to me there were no prices on the menu. I'll add a link to the allears menu listing, it says it was updated March 2012.:thumbsup2

JoBird - :laughing: I'm trying to wait a bit and let others answer, I know everyone likes to be able to pay it forward.:grouphug:

BCV23 - Hello, my friend!:hug: Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen it yet.

Sorry, can't help with the iPhone - as previously discussed, I'm data challenged.;)

You may be right about the fencing drawing attention to the location of the beach pool. We, too, noticed quite a number of people in it while there, which is why I didn't feel comfortable snapping a pic of the entire pool area. I had to be content with the shots of the fencing along the pathway.:)

Jungle Cruiser - I finally made it to the link you provided, great shots on allears DVC news!

I love all the new photos, k&a&c'smom - great work!

Here is the link to the latest DVC update on the construction. It also links to past updates and includes this blueprint:

VGFWaterPoolpage2.jpg

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/compon...an/1964-may-2012-grand-floridian-photo-update

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter