A don't-miss-list needed!!

peter putnam

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I can't tell you all how helpful people have been (you know who you are). In fact, I've been saved a lot of money, cold, hard cash. Thanks again. So now I've almost got the trip part down, the flight ticket, the Disney resort, and Hopper pass, in addition, I've been informed about all sorts of good tips for maintaining the South Beach diet, and what to bring, etc... Now, I want to put together a list of must-see's - shows, rides, or whatnot that you folks think a solo 48 year old, still child-like guy would enjoy... I don't want to overplan (ugh), but I'll only have five days (Jan. 2nd to the 7th @ Pop), so I'd really appreciate some suggestions, Thanks soooo much antemano, a very excited Pete!! :jumping4:& :cheer2:

Hi Peter

The best advice I can give you is take advantage of Early Magic Hour. It gets resort guests an extra hour at a certain park each day. Here's the breakdown:
Sunday - Magic Kingdom
Monday - Animal Kingdom
Tuesday - Disney-MGM Studios
Wednesday - Epcot
Thursday - Magic Kingdom
Friday - Animal Kingdom
Saturday - Disney-MGM Studios
The way I usually do things is go to the EMH park for a few hours in the morning and do everything I want. Then I usually get some lunch, then head back to the room for a break or a swim. Then around 3ish I head to another park for the afternoon for rides/shows, then catch one of the night shows. It works well for me as I'm not doing everything commando, but still get alot accomplished. Also figure out what your "must dos" are for each park and get them done early in the trip. Then you have time to either go back to your favorites or try new stuff.

Hope this helps - have a great trip!!! :wave:

Wishes
Illuminations
Tower of Terror
Who Wants To Be a Millionaire
Festival of the Lion King
Mickey's Philharmagic
Test Track

MK:
Spectromagic (favorite parade)
PhilharMagic (just too cool!)
Buzz Lightyear & Peter Pan (to feel like a kid again)
Epcot:
Journey into Imagination & Universe of Energy (fun & interesting)
the food in WS (yummmm!)
Illuminations (wow!)
AK:
Festival of the Lion King (best show)
Kilamanjaro Safaris (different every time)
Dinosaur (scary!)
MGM:
Rock 'n Roller Coaster (be prepared!)
Great Movie Ride (nostalgic)
Muppetvision 3-D (I laugh every time!)
Voyage of the Little Mermaid (warm & fuzzy feel-good show)
Other:
shopping in DTD (this is the best!)
visit various resorts (to start planning your next trip!)

Enjoy yourself......................... :flower1:

well geeee, now I have some things to shoot for -can't wait. I finally got all my ducks (room, hopper pass, flight, etc. ) in a row, and I'm psyched. Yeah, with only 6 days i wanted to have a rough itinerary so as not to miss too many good things.... well again, thanks, pete :cheer2: :jumping4: :Pinkbounc

If you like "thrill" rides:

MK:

Splash Mountain
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

AK:

Dinosaur (although this isn't the name of the ride I don't think, I think it's called Countdown from Extinction)

Epcot:

Mission Space
Test Track

MGM:

Aerosmith's Rock'n'Roller Coaster
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Star Tours

Other non-thrill rides that are fun or "classic":

MK:

Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Carribbean
Buzz Lightyear (if you like video games!)
Peter Pan's Flight (classic kids ride)

AK:

The Safari thing (forget the real name)

Epcot:

Maelstrom (the ride in Norway)
Mission Earth (the golf ball ride)
Body Wars
Imagination (another kids ride)

MGM:

The Backlot Tour
Who Wants to be a Millionaire
Muppet 3D

One thing to keep in mind "Early Entry" is changing to early and late entry. I pulled the following off of allearsnet.com

AS OF JANUARY 2, 2005,
WDW WILL IMPLEMENT A NEW EXTRA MAGIC HOUR PROGRAM WITH BOTH MORNING AND EVENING EXTENDED HOURS. THIS COINCIDES WITH THE KICK-OFF OF THE NEW "MAGIC YOUR WAY" TICKET PROGRAM.
Extra Magic Hour, a program that allows you to visit a particular theme park on a designated day beyond regularly scheduled operating hours, is offered only to those staying in Walt Disney World-owned resorts, the Walt Disney World Dolphin & Swan Resorts, Shades of Green, and the Hilton Resort at Downtown Disney.

NEW MORNING SCHEDULE

Monday -- Epcot
Tuesday -- Disney-MGM Studios
Friday -- Magic Kingdom
Saturday -- Animal Kingdom

NEW EVENING SCHEDULE

Sunday -- Disney-MGM Studios
Tuesday -- Animal Kingdom
Wednesday -- Magic Kingdom
Thursday -- EPCOT

Hello and Welcome~

I do WDW solo too and it's a blast....here are my add ons.......:

* DTD for Ghirardelli's and Fulton's
* DQ
* EMH for all parks, that rocks
* POP (I just stayed there too) for the tye dye cheese cake! OMG YUM
* PI for the live bands at the Rock n Roll Beach Club
* PI for Comedy Warehouse
* Photo Pass
* And don't miss Philharmagic! It brings tears to my eyes it's so beautiful!

what's Photo Pass?

the only one (for now) that I would add is one of my favorites - not scary - not even fast - TTA (Tomorrowland Transit Authority) at Tomorrowland in the MK. ride it during the day and at night - very different.

I'm 47 and my husband is 38, and we don't have kids. We just got back a week ago (not our first trip). My "don't miss" selections are:

MK:
Splash Mountain
Wishes - nighttime fireworks

Epcot:
Illuminations - nighttime show
If you like Beatles music, see British Invasion (live band) in England, shows throughout the day.
In Canada, you must see Off Kilter (live band), shows throughout the day

MGM:
Fantasmic - nighttime show
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
Indiana Jones (best after dark)
Movie "One Man's Dream" about Walt Disney

For Illuminations, I recommend you pick up fish & chips at the outdoor window of Rose & Crown and take a table in the public seating area of R&C, to the left of the restaurant (when facing the lagoon) -- you walk in between the desk where dinner reservations are taken and the bar where they sell beer, right down to the lagoon. Great view.

Also recommend you take a stroll through Boardwalk in the evening. And visit the town of Celebration if you have a chance.

I wish I had read the tips about how to stay on South Beach diet while we were there. I did not do very well, but suprisingly still lost a kilo on the two-week trip, probably because of all the walking.

Have a great trip,
Susan

We are not solo, but just my DH and I (in our 30's).

Things that DH liked and would do again and again (with or with out me)

Buzz Lightyear
Space Mountain
Mickey's Philarmagic
Pirates of the Caribbean

Test Track
Mexico and Norway in World Showcase - likes the ride and the beers
Living Seas

La Nouba

Illuminations - he's very technical, we had to watch Illuminations several nights from different places so he could see the "big ball" and how it works - he means the earth.

Segway tour

It's a bugs life
Tree of Life

Enjoy your trip, I hope you have a great time.

Rachael

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter