A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

Thank you for this, great write up!

We are thinking of going for the first time 9/23-10/1

What are the chances that we will miss SM and HM ? I understand they take them both down possibly for Halloween overlays, but am hoping we're going late enough in September where it will be back up and running.

That is prime HalloweenTime season. Unless DLR does something dramatically different, those dates will be perfect to see HMH and SMGG.

:wizard:

That is prime HalloweenTime season. Unless DLR does something dramatically different, those dates will be perfect to see HMH and SMGG.

Woohoo!!!! Long time WDW veteran, we are so excited to experience DLR for the first time. Looking at all the good neighbor hotels, can it be concluded that most of them are all equally great? Or should we do our research on the best ones?

Woohoo!!!! Long time WDW veteran, we are so excited to experience DLR for the first time. Looking at all the good neighbor hotels, can it be concluded that most of them are all equally great? Or should we do our research on the best ones?

Definitely not all equally great. Or equally close to DLR if you are walking.

You will get lots of advice around here and you should consider all of it and weigh it against your priorities. Here are some places to start:

"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862

"Walking Distance Hotel List w/ discussion & details of hotels" by OnTheRoadAgain http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796786

Just found this. Thanks so much for writing this.
I am planning my 1st trip to Disneyland and this is perfect. Another poster was kind
enough to post this link.
Love this place
Kerri

Thank you for this, great write up!

We are thinking of going for the first time 9/23-10/1

What are the chances that we will miss SM and HM ? I understand they take them both down possibly for Halloween overlays, but am hoping we're going late enough in September where it will be back up and running.
Typically Halloween starts second Friday of September and hm overlay is done by then. Sm typically gets done closer to Christmas set up. So I would say you should be good to have both open.

Thanks so much for all the information, must have taken a while! I'm a wdw veteran of 16 trips & have booked my first trip to DL this year. I'm more excited than I have ever been for this trip, especially my first visit button! I didn't even know they existed on my first wdw trip! I seem to have booked a good time to go, 2nd to 6th October Monday to Friday so hopefully will get everything done, also staying at GCV so will have full Disney magic!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this valuable information. Have been to WDW on at least 30 on site trips, it has always been my dream to visit DL in California. My husband is taking me for my birthday present from August 1-5. I'm trying to get a good feel for how to best enjoy and take full advantage of our time. This was the perfect thread to read!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this valuable information. Have been to WDW on at least 30 on site trips, it has always been my dream to visit DL in California. My husband is taking me for my birthday present from August 1-5. I'm trying to get a good feel for how to best enjoy and take full advantage of our time. This was the perfect thread to read!
Thanks. I have it high on my priority list to update this thread.

The problem (which many of you may be unaware) is that the DIS changed the forum tool a few years ago, and long posts like this are no longer allowed. So I do not believe I can edit the OP. Otherwise I would have updated it by now like I used to every year or so.

That means creating a whole new thread, and that has just been something I have not had time to do. Further, I wrote the original OP after one visit to WDW. I just finished by 8th. So I have growing appreciation and fondness for WDW to work into the OP when I update it.

Glad my thread helped you! Keep an open mind and try to treat the differences from WDW as interesting and fun and not as negatives. :)

Thanks. I have it high on my priority list to update this thread.

The problem (which many of you may be unaware) is that the DIS changed the forum tool a few years ago, and long posts like this are no longer allowed. So I do not believe I can edit the OP. Otherwise I would have updated it by now like I used to every year or so.

That means creating a whole new thread, and that has just been something I have not had time to do. Further, I wrote the original OP after one visit to WDW. I just finished by 8th. So I have growing appreciation and fondness for WDW to work into the OP when I update it.

Glad my thread helped you! Keep an open mind and try to treat the differences from WDW as interesting and fun and not as negatives. :)

Our last trip to DL was three years ago, and your thread was a huge help as many have echoed on here. And while the information may not be as up to date as you'd like, I believe a lot of it is still applicable. I especially wanted to re-emphasize the last sentence above: while DL is quite different in some substantial ways, that isn't a pejorative statement. The differences make DL uniquely appealing. . .and better in some ways. The classic feel, the intimacy you get there can't be reproduced at WDW. Though WDW is our first love, we are planning to go back to DL at some time in the not too distant future. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Hydroguy, you may not remember me, but you and I met in line on one of your first trip to Disneyland in many years, back around 2004. Your family all had the same shirts on and we were both asking about the same type of question on this board before we arrived. I was also there with my family. Like you, my kids have now grown and we are going back DS (17) DD (15). It is great you have given so much back to this board.

Quick question, the last time I was there, 2010, there was a posting that listed all the rides and the order to ride them in order to maximize your time in the park, it worked to perfection. I remember starting in Fanastyland and then moving on from there. Well, we skipped all the big rides back then, but now we will ride them. Any insight how to navigate the park again? We only have one day in DL and one in DCA, before we head to Universal Studio for one. Thank you in advance for the input. Also what rides have single rider in both parks as we have NO problem riding separate to save time.

Hydroguy, you may not remember me, but you and I met in line on one of your first trip to Disneyland in many years, back around 2004. Your family all had the same shirts on and we were both asking about the same type of question on this board before we arrived. I was also there with my family. Like you, my kids have now grown and we are going back DS (17) DD (15). It is great you have given so much back to this board.

Quick question, the last time I was there, 2010, there was a posting that listed all the rides and the order to ride them in order to maximize your time in the park, it worked to perfection. I remember starting in Fanastyland and then moving on from there. Well, we skipped all the big rides back then, but now we will ride them. Any insight how to navigate the park again? We only have one day in DL and one in DCA, before we head to Universal Studio for one. Thank you in advance for the input. Also what rides have single rider in both parks as we have NO problem riding separate to save time.
Mr. Chicago, right? ;)

I think what you are referring to are Magic Mornings at DL. The best resource for that is probably here: "Early Admission (MM/EMH/APEE) Super Thread" by DLR29 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1675403

I do not recall a general list of ride order for DL (or DCA). And of course a lot has changed at DCA since 2010 and a bit has changed since at DL. You may want to look into RideMax or Touringplans for creating a default ride order for you. Other than that, my general advice is:

1. Learn to use FASTPASS, and dig a little because it started changing a week or so ago in ways never seen before - and will likely change more in coming weeks when they introduce MaxPass.

2. Make sure you understand which rides are slow loaders, which are fast loaders (high capacity) and which are "afternoon fillers" which means you can ride them any time of day with a short line. Do slow loaders early morning and late at night if possible. Do afternoon fillers in, well, the afternoon, or any time of day it starts to feel crowded.

3. Use FASTPASS to the maximum for the big rides.

Mr Chicago is right :worship:, wow am I impressed. We will be in the park, 7/6 and 7/7. The advice above was what I was kind of looking for. My wife laughed at me, for following a plan, but it worked to perfection the last time. I think I remember most of it, but this time we will use single rider whenever possible. I'll let you know how it goes.

Further, I wrote the original OP after one visit to WDW. I just finished by 8th. So I have growing appreciation and fondness for WDW to work into the OP when I update it.

I find that each trip to either coast, I think of all the things I prefer about one park over the other, i don't feel either park is better, just each has its pros and cons

I completely forgot to post on here after my first trip to DLR, but it is so different in such a good way. It's dramatically easier to get around, everything is walkable if you stay on property (at least in my experience at the DLH). The food was incredible and I think my favorite part was that I wasn't completely drenched in sweat after 1 hour.. the California weather is beautiful. Walking around a Disney Park not dying of heat really makes it better. The ride differences were subtle, but fun! Some parts of DLP get really packed, but if you're on the fence about going since you love WDW... you have to go see Walt's Park at least once.

OK everyone, at long last I have updated the OP for this much referenced thread. I have reconnected all the photos that stupid Photobucket blocked a couple months ago. I do need to add some new, fresher photos, but this update took long enough so I will stop for now and get back to that sometime soon.

Enjoy!

HydroGuy, I want to say thank you and let you know how amazing and informative this thread is. Your passion for Disney really shows through and your writing is super concise and clear. Part of the magic of Disney is meeting and talking with others who share your enthusiasm and love. You certainly have added to the Disney magic for all of us WDW vets looking to enjoy DL!

@HydroGuy ...I've been to WDW 20+ times and am getting ready for my first trip to Disneyland in 22 years. The background you have provided is perfect. We will only be spending two days at DLR, but your information gives us exactly what we need to plan our trip and enjoy it fully. Thank you. :thanks:

Thanks HydroGuy for your great post. Planning our first trip to DL after 20 years and got a lot of helpful Infos. Great work!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter