A decision! Finally!!!!!! We're going with VWL! Questions...

Dis2times

Mouseketeer
We have decided to rent points from a DVC member and we'll have a 2 bedroom villa at VWL for a great price.

I have a few questions.

1. Groceries- we won't have a car with us. What would be the best way to get the kitchen stocked?

2. Perks- will we still have resort priveleges like charging priveleges or having packages/park purchases delivered to our room?

3. Renting- The member we are renting from sounds wonderful. I'm sure it will work out fine, but I have some minor questions.

-What is to stop the member from cancelling my reservation once I pay? (Not that I think she would, she sounds great.)

-Will this trip be eligible for travel insurance since I am buying the points through an individual?

Thanks for any tips!

Lisa

I'm a DVC member, so I'll try to help!

1. Groceries- we won't have a car with us. What would be the best way to get the kitchen stocked?
How are you getting from the airport to the resort? You could book a towncar service which includes a free 30 minute grocery stop. You could also use one of the internet grocery services to buy all non-perishables and buy your perishables at the WL Merchantile. The last option because it's the most expensive is to get the DVC member to get you the DVC member grocery list. You can order your items in advance, and they'll be delivered to your room for you. It is VERY expensive, but very convenient.

2. Perks- will we still have resort priveleges like charging priveleges or having packages/park purchases delivered to our room?
You'll still have charging privlidges to your room, though as one room, you'll only be able to place one charge card down for the entire room. You can get a print-out daily to figure out who's are who's, but you can't have multiple cards down for one room. Packages are no longer delivered to any individual room, at VWL, they are delivered to the mercantile for pick-up. Usually they guarantee delivery around 3PM the next day.

3. Renting- The member we are renting from sounds wonderful. I'm sure it will work out fine, but I have some minor questions.

-What is to stop the member from cancelling my reservation once I pay? (Not that I think she would, she sounds great.)

-Will this trip be eligible for travel insurance since I am buying the points through an individual?
Unforunately, nothing. Renting directly from a DVC member requires a lot of trust on both sides of the transaction. The renter hopes the member doesn't cancel the reservation, the member hopes the renter makes timely payments and doesn't back out at the last minute. I've rented before (as an owner) and never had any problems. It is a trust thing. I'm not sure about travel insurance. DVC does offer travel insurance, you're cover for $5 per point if the reservation is cancelled. If you're interested, have the member send you this brochure. It is mailed with every DVC reservation. If you have a written contract, you might be able to obtain traditional travel insurance, but you'd have to look into that.

jel0511 said:
I'm a DVC member, so I'll try to help!

How are you getting from the airport to the resort? You could book a towncar service which includes a free 30 minute grocery stop. You could also use one of the internet grocery services to buy all non-perishables and buy your perishables at the WL Merchantile. The last option because it's the most expensive is to get the DVC member to get you the DVC member grocery list. You can order your items in advance, and they'll be delivered to your room for you. It is VERY expensive, but very convenient.

You'll still have charging privlidges to your room, though as one room, you'll only be able to place one charge card down for the entire room. You can get a print-out daily to figure out who's are who's, but you can't have multiple cards down for one room. Packages are no longer delivered to any individual room, at VWL, they are delivered to the mercantile for pick-up. Usually they guarantee delivery around 3PM the next day.

Unforunately, nothing. Renting directly from a DVC member requires a lot of trust on both sides of the transaction. The renter hopes the member doesn't cancel the reservation, the member hopes the renter makes timely payments and doesn't back out at the last minute. I've rented before (as an owner) and never had any problems. It is a trust thing. I'm not sure about travel insurance. DVC does offer travel insurance, you're cover for $5 per point if the reservation is cancelled. If you're interested, have the member send you this brochure. It is mailed with every DVC reservation. If you have a written contract, you might be able to obtain traditional travel insurance, but you'd have to look into that.

See, this is the only thing that has me wary. I mean, if the renter cancels the reservation and we're all paid up, we're totally screwed then? Again, I'm not suspicious of her at all and have no reason to be, but I'd feel terrible if my family's money was lost and we had no vacation to show for it. On the other hand, the room is great and the price is great. Decisions, decisions!!!

Lisa

most of the renters on this board have a good reputation.

however there was one person who had financially problems and DVC canceled his contract - so his renters lost.

if she has made your reservation (which can be a big problem) - then I think you will fine.

when you get the reservation confirmation - call the phone number on the bottom explain that you need to have the reservation number confirmation and MS has been know to help calm fears.

You can also call this phone a couple of days before you leave.

You can't change this reservation only the DVC member can - but MS can tell you that it is there and being honored.

pasmommy said:
See, this is the only thing that has me wary. I mean, if the renter cancels the reservation and we're all paid up, we're totally screwed then? Again, I'm not suspicious of her at all and have no reason to be, but I'd feel terrible if my family's money was lost and we had no vacation to show for it. On the other hand, the room is great and the price is great. Decisions, decisions!!!

Lisa
Unfornately, yes, though I doubt it will happen. There have been only a few (and I mean definately less than 5) reports here on the DIS of people being taken in this manner. Most of us renters (I say most because of those couple incidents, and those who try to scalp others) are nice people who want to share our DVC memberships with others. I only rent when I won't use my points, though there are a few who own DVC points as only a money making venture. If you're so concerned ask the DIS member you're renting from for references from previous renters. If he/she is a reputable person, they'd have no problems giving out the information. Truly, if you're renting through the DIS, I woudn't worry.

Thanks. This is reassuring.

I should note that this is a fairly new member, and I don't see any indication of prior transactions. So I should ask for references and a contract?

www.wegoshop.com looks just perfect. I'll have to see if they are in my area. There are times when that would be a godsend!!!

Lisa

pasmommy said:
Thanks. This is reassuring.

I should note that this is a fairly new member, and I don't see any indication of prior transactions. So I should ask for references and a contract?

www.wegoshop.com looks just perfect. I'll have to see if they are in my area. There are times when that would be a godsend!!!

Lisa
If this person has rented before (remember someone always needs their first renter) I'm sure they'd be happy to provide you with an e-mail address of a previous renter. I always provide renters with a contract. It provides some assurance for both the renter and member that things will go well, and also provides some legal avenue in case it doesn't. I wouldn't rent to someone who would have a problem with signing a contract, and I don't think I'd rent from someone (If I were in the renting game) who would be opposed to giving me one. It really is just a piece of paper that lays out all the things you've agreed to anyway.

jel0511 said:
If this person has rented before (remember someone always needs their first renter) I'm sure they'd be happy to provide you with an e-mail address of a previous renter. I always provide renters with a contract. It provides some assurance for both the renter and member that things will go well, and also provides some legal avenue in case it doesn't. I wouldn't rent to someone who would have a problem with signing a contract, and I don't think I'd rent from someone (If I were in the renting game) who would be opposed to giving me one. It really is just a piece of paper that lays out all the things you've agreed to anyway.

Thanks Lori, you've been very helpful!

One more VWL question...how long is the walk from the Villas to the boat to MK?

Lisa

There is a shortcut out of the villas. When you get off the elevators, you head through the atrium and then hang a left. There is a hallway leading out to a door, near Sturdy Branches. You'll now be outside right by the Villa's pool. Head past the villa's pool and make a right, to walk around the WL. You'll now be right by the WL pool, continue straight, and the walkway will take you directly to the boat dock. This walk is no more than 5 minutes, whereas if you head back into WL and back out, that way is no more than 10 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter