A Beachy, Boozy Birthday in Disney 9/4/2021 NEW TR Link/COMPLETE!!!

Jenny Sanders

DIS Veteran
Welcome and thank you so much for following along! If you have been here before, you know the drill. If this is your first time, grab a beer, glass of Sangria, or your favorite alcoholic beverage and join me on another, what's sure to be super fun trip report!!!

First order of business, let me introduce myself. I'm Jen and have been writing here at the DIS for a very long time. I am half of the YouTube channel Jen and Joe on the Go. https://www.youtube.com/c/JenandJoeontheGo.

My other half and better half is Joe. He loves Disney World as much as I do and I'm so grateful we have that in common. He never says no to a trip and he's always up for something new. And, believe me. There is ALWAYS something new going on in the Disney bubble.

Although we both enjoy the parks immensely, we also like taking it slow, sleeping in, enjoying a good meal or 2 or 3, and always have time for our alter egos, the Disney Drinkers. They are always invading our trips and are constantly finding new adult beverages to try...

Our trip dates were July 23-27. It was a trip to celebrate my birthday. We figured we had so much fun last year that we would do it again this year.
We stayed at the Beach Club Villas (a first for us).
And, believe it or not, we didn't have any park pass reservations. This was a resort only stay.

So, I hope you will continue on and I hope I keep going. Hint, I have never not finished a TR and may be going back to Disney in just 10 more days!!!!

Next up, travel day...

Hi everyone! So, today was travel day. Our flight boarded on time, but Midway in Chicago was short-staffed so we sat on the plane for an additional 30 minutes while our luggage was loaded up. Not a big deal. We would probably make up for it in the air. NOPE! Boy was I wrong! We ran into some bad weather in Florida and ended up circling the Gulf of Mexico for another hour. Then, our pilot came on to tell us MCO was a bit backed up so we had to wait a tad to land. This was also a very turbulent flight and if you know me, you know I hate flying, and this on top of the added time on the plane totally reeked havoc on my nerves. By the time we got off the plane, I was in need of a drink. But, not so fast. We had to wait for our luggage, which luckily was some of the first to come out. We then picked up our car. Thanks, National for making it so easy. Love how we can just pick a car and go, no waiting in line.

First stop (unfortunately, not our only stop of the night) was the Swan Resort. This was going to be a one-night stay and a first for us. Unfortunately, this was a VERY bad experience. To make a very loooooooong story short, the room didn't have air. So, we were moved to a second room. This room smelled like someone had been chain-smoking in it for the last 5 hours and it too did not have air. The thermostat wouldn't even turn on. 10 trips to the front desk and 5 hours later, we were moved to the Dolphin Resort because the Swan Resort was out of rooms. Sigh. Also, valet was out of room so we had to walk the length of what seemed like 2 football fields to reach the lobby, once we parked. But, we finally had some success. The room was clean and it was nice and cold!!! Unfortunately, this was the only good thing I could say about it. The layout was a bit odd. The bathroom (toilet and shower area) were so small that you had to stand behind the door to close it and the bathmat was too big for the space, so you had to leave the door open when showering. This would have been a problem had we been traveling with kids. Also, some guests thought it appropriate to let their kids run up and down the hall screaming at 11:30 pm. Needless to say, the Dolphin and Swan are a one and done for us. We have zero desire to ever go back.

This was just a really bad experience, but I guess we were due. It's been a long time since we were unhappy with a Disney hotel/room. Actually, I don't think we've ever been unhappy with a Disney room, lol.

Next up, we do find time to catch our dining reservation at Il Mulino between all this room nonsense...

Last edited:
Didn’t you have a bad flight to MCO on your last trip? I hate sitting on planes for longer than scheduled

Your experience at the Swan sounds awful. My sister will be staying at the Dolphin in October and I hope she has a better experience. Even with the occasional bad resort experience at a Disney resort, the problems at the Swan seem worse.

Didn’t you have a bad flight to MCO on your last trip? I hate sitting on planes for longer than scheduled
YES! Every single flight has had issues since Covid. I hate sitting on planes period, lol!

Your experience at the Swan sounds awful. My sister will be staying at the Dolphin in October and I hope she has a better experience. Even with the occasional bad resort experience at a Disney resort, the problems at the Swan seem worse.
We will never stay at either one again. Both are very nice properties, but they are showing their age and in need of room refurbs.

Dinner at IL Mulino was just as good as it was back in February for the bestie's birthday. The only difference was last time we sat in the beautiful courtyard surrounded by fairy lights and this time we were in the back dining room. I prefer the courtyard. There's just something magical about it. It felt like our own, private dining experience.

For drinks, Joe and I had the same cocktail. I can't remember what it was called but it had vodka and muddled strawberries in it. It was light and refreshing and I honestly should have ordered another. For apps, Joe and I shared the Polpette Al FornoItalian, meatballs with tomato basil sauce and parmesan cheese. Joe has had them before but I hadn't. These were amazing!!! For our entrees, I had a Margherita Pizza, tomato Sauce, basil and Buffalo Mozzarella. Joe had a veal dish. I can't remember which one...We both really liked our food and our server was very good too.

Next up, we check out of the Dolphin, and head to the Grand Floridian for a perfectly splendid breakfast with friends...

So sorry your flying experience was so stressful and then trying to get a decent room. I'm sure the rest of the trip went much better.

Oh no, my sister and I have one night at the Swan or the 50th, it is our Epcot day and it had availability hope it is better than your stay!
Your dinner looks lovely!

So sorry your flying experience was so stressful and then trying to get a decent room. I'm sure the rest of the trip went much better.
I just hate flying. That's half of it. But I refuse to let my fear take over. LOL!
Thank goodness the rest was fantastic!

Oh no, my sister and I have one night at the Swan or the 50th, it is our Epcot day and it had availability hope it is better than your stay!
Your dinner looks lovely!
Don't let my bad review scare you off.
It did suck but to be honest, I hadn't read any bad reviews. Hopefully, the resort was just having an off night.

Your flight reminds me of one we took back in 1995. We arrived after 9 hours on a plane to find MCO had been hit by a lightening storm and there was a backlog of planes waiting to land. We circled for an hour and a half. People were crying and upchucking :crazy2: It was horrendous and if we hadn't needed to fly home I may never had gotten my husband on a plane again :rotfl:Good for you for not letting your dislike of flying rule you.
Sounds like your meal at Il Mullino made up somewhat for the palaver of getting a room. We stayed at both in the early 2000s and found them to be decent but it was almost 2 decades and 2 kids ago. Can't beat the location though.
Looking forward to more :goodvibes

Subbing in Jenny. Sorry you had such a bad experience at the Swan AND Dolphin. Not a great way to start off a trip.
Nope. We will never stay at either one again.

Your flight reminds me of one we took back in 1995. We arrived after 9 hours on a plane to find MCO had been hit by a lightening storm and there was a backlog of planes waiting to land. We circled for an hour and a half. People were crying and upchucking :crazy2: It was horrendous and if we hadn't needed to fly home I may never had gotten my husband on a plane again :rotfl:Good for you for not letting your dislike of flying rule you.
Sounds like your meal at Il Mullino made up somewhat for the palaver of getting a room. We stayed at both in the early 2000s and found them to be decent but it was almost 2 decades and 2 kids ago. Can't beat the location though.
Looking forward to more :goodvibes
All our flights since Covid have been delayed, rerouted or changed. :mad:
The Swan and Dolphin rooms are also in desperate need of a refurb. The hallway carpets in both resorts were dirty and worn.

Both of these look really good. :)
They were!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter