90-year-old forgoes chemo for trip of a lifetime

Good for her! I've known a couple people, a little younger in age, that have done similar. Quality of life over quantity is what they mentioned. The friends had also experienced cancer treatments previously in life, and had an idea of how harsh cancer treatments often could be on the body.

Having dealt with a 90 year old parent with cancer, I support her decision. Working as a Journalist I am a little disappointed that one fact that may have helped make that decision easier was left out. At age 90, even if you are in good health for your age, the odds are the chemo is going to kill you before the cancer.

More power to her! At 90 years old, I think it's definitely the right choice, and cool that they're sharing the travel log.

I agree my mother had chemo in her 70's and it would have been better for her not to. The cancer ended up in her kidney's and killed her but her mind went just before she died it was horrible to watch.

While I think this was absolutely the right decision for this particular person, I am very glad my mother-in-law has decided to go with chemo and radiation and all the other treatments, even as the cancer has spread from her lungs through her body.

Our children were teens when she was first diagnosed. Thanks to chemo slowing the progress of her cancer and extending her life, she's been with us as they've grown into young adults.

And her doctors have done a GREAT job of ensuring her comfort and maintaining her quality of life. She is not miserable, she's happy. Her mind is as sharp as ever. She still has her hair (though it lost a bit of it's curl, temporarily). Chemo's come a long way in the last decade!

And it's been a privilege having her in our lives these past few years.

So while each person's decision is individual, I'm glad my mother-in-law has decided to live longer.

Thank you for sharing OP! Can't wait to check out that FB page, I'm sure it's amazing! Brought a smile to my face this morning.

While I think this was absolutely the right decision for this particular person, I am very glad my mother-in-law has decided to go with chemo and radiation and all the other treatments, even as the cancer has spread from her lungs through her body.

Our children were teens when she was first diagnosed. Thanks to chemo slowing the progress of her cancer and extending her life, she's been with us as they've grown into young adults.

And her doctors have done a GREAT job of ensuring her comfort and maintaining her quality of life. She is not miserable, she's happy. Her mind is as sharp as ever. She still has her hair (though it lost a bit of it's curl, temporarily). Chemo's come a long way in the last decade!

And it's been a privilege having her in our lives these past few years.

So while each person's decision is individual, I'm glad my mother-in-law has decided to live longer.

I think it is awesome you & your family get more time, obviously the right decision for your family. I hope you get wonderful memories that last a lifetime.

I can see her decision & would probably do it her way.

Hey. We all gotta go someday! I know for a fact I'd rather be spending my last days traveling the country than hooked up to machines and filled with poisons (designed, at best, to eek a few more months out of my life). Good for her!

If I were 90 and recently diagnosed with cancer, but otherwise healthy and active, I would likely refuse chemo, too.

I think I would rather live out whatever time I had left in the state I was already in, and enjoy whatever activities I could. I don't think I'd want to spend my last months in hospitals and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter