9/08: Day 2: AK, Epcot, MGM, all in one day!

tc

<font color=blue>Miracles are amazing!<br><font co
Me: tc (Kelli) 41 and major Disney lover
Stephen: DH, puts up with my obsession

Saturday, September 8, 2002

We slept in today since we had been up late and long the day before. I have to take a nutritional supplement everyday, that tastes pretty bad, but can be eaten okay on oatmeal, so that's what I usually eat for breakfast. So, today we got up at 9:00, ate oatmeal (Stephen had pop tarts) and headed to Animal Kingdom.

We found the bus stop easily, and as we approached, the AK bus arrived. Perfect timing.

We got to AK at about 10:30. I'll just say at the beginning, that we had no wait, in any line, for any ride all day today. We walked on everything.

Rode the Safari first. Not many animals out. I really miss the African guides on this ride. Not really the same when your guide has a southern accent. Oh well, still love it.

Then we walked the Pangani trail. I could watch the Gorillas for days. There was a mother and baby right by the windows playing. Very cute.

From there we took the train to Conservation Station. We had never done this before, so I wanted to try it once. I really enjoyed it. I really liked the little room you go into with the headphones for the rainforest sound effects. It was cool. There were characters out, but I don't remember which ones. Different cm's had small animals to look at and touch. It was very interesting and informative. I also enjoyed the train ride. On the way back, it started to rain.

We headed to Pizzafari for lunch while it rained. I heard someone say you could get an AP discount on food here (I didn't know that) so I asked, and I got the discount. I had a fantastic sandwich and Stephen ordered the kids pizza. Usually a kids meal is more than enough, but not this one. It's a pizza made on an english muffin with a package of carrots on the side. Needless to say, he was very happy when I could only eat 1/2 of my Italian sandwich.

By the time we left, the rain had stopped and we headed over to Dinoland. We stopped at the McD's fry stand since Stephen was still a little hungry, and got some hot, fresh fries. Yum!!

We rode Dinosaur after that. This ride really scares me. I have never kept my eyes open through the whole ride. I open and close them the whole time.

From there we decided to try Primeval Whirl. I was a bit skeptical. It looked very childish, and hoaky. However, it was a blast. We loved this ride. We did it twice in a row.

I had decided I wanted a straw hat this trip, so we headed to a store (I don't remember the name, but it's the one with the 100 Years kiosks, which we played and enjoyed). I got a great hat with a black band, and it really helped keep the sun off my head and my hair out of my face. Stephen said I looked very cute.

Next on the list, It's Tough to be a Bug. There was a family in front of us with two small children. One about 3 and a baby under 1. The 3y/o started crying as soon as it started and it took the mom quite awhile to take her out. She kept reprimanding her the whole time. After she left, and things got loud, the baby started crying too. The dad never took the baby out, she just cried. It was hard to enjoy the show knowing that she was scared. She calmed down towards the end, but it was still sad. A funny part was at the end when Flik asks everyone to remain seated so the bugs can leave first. The lady sitting next to me jumped up, screamed and stood on her seat. It was so funny. She was laughing and crying all at the same time.

We left there happy and sad, and wandered to see the bird show. I love this show, and it didn't disappoint. That bald eagle is majectic. Then we walked to Maharahjah Jungle Trek.

We decided to grab some fresh ice and water for our water bottle and find a seat for the parade. We've never seen this parade, so I was looking forward to it. First we found a bench, which was in the sun, and waited. We watched some cm's playing jump robe and limbo with guests using a rope they use to cordon off for the parade. It was fun to watch them. Then I looked over at my husband. He was looking pretty miserable. He was sweating so bad, water was standing in droplets on his arms and legs. I was dry as a bone. That shows you the difference between us. I didn't even think it was hot. He didn't want to complain because I was having such a good time watching the kids play (isn't he sweet?), but I took pity on him. We walked a little towards Africa, found some pavement in the shade and waited there. Stephen was far more comfortable.

I liked this parade. The couple we saw on the Mears shuttle that just got married were the grand marshalls in the first float. They recognized us and waved. This is one time having low crowds was not good. I think the shows and parades are a lot more fun when you have a ton of people to interact with. We were the only people standing where we were, and there was not much excitement there.

We decided to head out of the park since Stephen was so overheated, by way of Primeval Whirl. That's a fun ride!!! It seemed like it was faster and spun more this time.

From here we headed to Epcot; it was about 5:30 or so. We headed to WS first for a little snack. I ate some jerky and cheese on the bus so I could enjoy a sweet snack w/o getting sick. I got a chocolate/maple beavertail from Canada and Stephen, of course, got a Kaki Gori, cherry. He also got to eat 1/2 of my beavertail. He's so lucky.

We walked back to our room from the International gateway, to pick up bug spray and then took the boat to MGM. It was about 7:00.

Our only goal at MGM was to eat dinner and watch Fantasmic. We went to the Backlot Express for dinner. We were the last customers served, and then it closed. I didn't realize it closed so much earlier than park closing. We got hotdogs, fries and shared a coke for $14.00. We took the food to Fantasmic and ate while we waited. I love this show! We got there about 7:45, sat one section to the right of the Mickey section. Great seats. We enjoyed our dinner and waited for the show to start. A cm selling light up toys at the front, tried in vane to get a wave started. It would go once, and then wouldn't come back. Finally, after about 10 tries, it started coming back, and lasted quite awhile.

We waited for the theater to empty and then went out. We walked back along the walking path. We love this walk at night. This is why we got the bug spray though. Last year, we walked this path at night, and the next morning I was covered in bug bites. I didn't want this to happen again. I applied the spray before we left Fantasmic, and didn't get one bite. Good thinking for me, huh? We wandered the Boardwalk for a little bit, watching the different performers. Stopped in the store to pick up a PibbXtra (only place I found it on property) and Stephen got a snack, and then slowly wandered to our room. We took a quick dip in the quiet pool, and then in bed by 10:30.

Tomorrow: Magic Kingdom, DTD, and Epcot.

Having fun is alot of work ......we came home a few days before you arrived and the heat was horrible......we walked literally dripping...we didn't know you could have a discount at the pizzafari either.but the rest area for the ap was not bad at all.....we went to the backlot express for a supper before fantasmic and found it was closing too.....so we went to Rosies right near the entrance....they have good fast food too......thanks again

What a nice day!

There is so much at AK that I have yet to try - including the parade, and Dinosaur!

Thanks for sharing your report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter