7 Night Western Fantasy With Two Young Kids: Just Keep Swimming COMPLETED. Navigators included

It's Magical Blog

Earning My Ears
Meet the Galvani Family
When my husband Darren and I started planning a vacation to celebrate our ten year anniversary we decided to bring our two kids along, Jack age 6 and Ben age 3. We both work full time (plus) and wanted to have the opportunity to spend more times with the boys. I knew I wanted to find something that incorporated child care that would be intriguing and engaging for the boys. Many vacations include some sort of babysitting or child care but I wanted something that the boys wouldn't be able to refuse, thus ensuring we would have the right mix of couple time and family time. It came down to a cruise or a Beaches Resort. I have been on two cruises - one was on the Big Red Boat (this use to be affiliated with Disney before they had their own line of fleet) back when I was about 13 and one was a last minute fill-in trip with a friend and her grandmother when I was around 19. My husband had never cruised before and was interested in trying out something different, so cruise it was. I later came to find out that my husband choose a cruise because he thought it would alleviate flying and we would sail right out of New York. He hates to fly. Whoops.

Now I love Disney and think they offer the best family vacations but I promised I would be open-minded here and explore different lines and different ships. I ended up coming down to Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore Maryland, the Norwegian Breakaway out of NYC, the Celebrity Summit out of NJ, or the Disney Fantasy out of FL. After doing tons of research (because that's just me) I went with DCL, not only because it's Disney and it had the most amazing reviews, but mostly because it was the only one of the cruise lines where Jack and Ben would get to be in the same kids club. I knew this would be important to make sure we would get to spend that adults only time. Oh yeah and it's Disney.

So in late September I booked the trip and a few weeks after the airfare. I always know once I book the airfare it is official! I broke the new to my husband that we were still flying to Florida. I don't think he was really surprised I picked Disney. It was really happening. We were going on a Disney Cruise. Not it was off to planning and waiting 228 days.

Disney Fantasy 2016: Sunshine State Here We Come
I had decided to fly in the night prior to our cruise. Since our cruise all aboard time was 3:30 I didn't want to take any chances or have any crazy airport meltdowns. So we booked a flight leaving New York's JFK for 6:00pm on Friday that arrived in Orlando's MCO just before 9:00pm. I had taken the day off work figuring I'd have a lot of last minute packaging and preparing to do. Also since I work in NYC I would have had to have taken half a day regardless. I sent the kids off in the morning to their normal Friday routines (Kindergarten for my older guy and Grandmas for my youngest) and took care of some business and finished some last minute packing. I actually had mostly everything done. I had the kids all packed and zipped out the weekend prior. I had my stuff and carry on items laid out and had packed most of it the night before. I just added some last minute items. I then went to take care of routine doctors appointment I hadn't found time to fit in and went to get a pedicure. Of course, the toes needed to look good. I came home, did some last minute tidying up around the house, and actually sat and relaxed for a little bit. At around 2 I picked up my youngest from Grandmas and then my oldest early from school. We came back home just has my husband Darren got home from work, loaded up the car, and we were off to the airport.

Now I had used points to book 2 of our flights through Jet Blue but I had to wait and book my husbands a week or so after the rest of our since I was waiting for more points to accumulate. I ended up with three separate confirmations - one for me and Ben, one for Jack, and one for Darren. Unfortunately this meant I couldn't check us all in online. Since Jack was a minor and was on a reservation with no one over the age of 18 he had to check in at the desk itself. I had received a few emails and had been hearing a lot about TSA delays and since traffic wasn't great I started to get a little concerned about the time. We finally got the airport just about 4:15, less than 2 hours before our flight. We had to trek our luggage through the jet blue terminal to find the actual check-in counter and wait on a fairly long line. I started to get pretty anxious. After about 30 minutes or so we had our tickets and our luggage was checked in. Feeling quite lighter (happy to get rid of the four suitcases) we made our way over to security. Thankfully security wasn't bad at all. It actually took less time to get through security then it did to check-in. We made our way to the terminal with about 20 minutes to kill before boarding. It gave us enough time to get some snacks for the flight and all use the restroom.

The flight itself was fine. We were on one of the newer Jet Blue planes which is really nice. The interior is sleek and has a nice modern feel. Also the seats were comfy, the TVs were much larger and included lots more stations. We found Disney Jr. and the kids were pretty set for the rest of the flight. I sat next to Ben and Darren and Jack sat behind us. Both kids were really good but Ben pretty much didn't stop talking during the whole flight. He must have been excited too.

When deciding where to stay the night before the cruise I researched two different options. Either renting a limo to take us to an hotel near the port or staying right in the airport at the Hyatt MCO. Since we weren't getting into until pretty late and I figured getting a good night's sleep would be good, I decided to book the Hyatt for convenience and knowing that even though we didn't land till nearly 9 we could be in our beds shortly after.

I booked the Hyatt back in November but in April I happened to be checking out the reservation and trying to remind myself of the room rate when I realized the rate had dropped nearly $150. I cancelled the original reservation and rebooked at the new rate and even upgraded to a runway view. After quickly retrieving our luggage from the carousel we followed signs to the Hyatt. Check-in was easy and the gentleman quickly explained how their luggage program with DCL (disney cruise line) worked. See next post for more details... We got up to the room, took a few minutes to check out the balcony and view of the runway. We actually had more of a view of the roof top pool which the kids starting begging to go in. I told them it was closed already for the night. Not sure if that was true or not but there was no way we were going swimming at that point. We put on the TV, pretty limited choices and pretty quickly all dosed off and got our beauty sleep for tomorrow's big day.

Following along! I've done the Magic before but love reading about TRs on the Fantasy as that is what we are going to experience in Sept this year!

I'm excited to read your report. My son is about the same age as your youngest, so I'm looking forward to seeing how your kids enjoyed everything. (Your boys are adorable, by the way).

I'm excited to read your report. My son is about the same age as your youngest, so I'm looking forward to seeing how your kids enjoyed everything. (Your boys are adorable, by the way).

Thanks! We had an amazing time. Hope you enjoy following along. Posting next day in a few moments.

HEADING TO PORT CANAVERAL
We woke up around 7am at the Hyatt and I was super excited to start the day! The boys on the other hand wanted nothing more but to go swimming in the cool looking roof top pool. So I agreed to go off plan already and I took the kids to the pool for a quick swim while hubby relaxed a bit. The kids were so excited that they ran ahead of me and proceed to jump right in the pool. Unfortunately Ben couldn't stand and while he is actually becoming pretty good at being able to swim on his own I think he got a little nervous and couldn't get back to the edge. I threw off my sandals and jumped into the pool, clothes and all. Ok maybe I exaggerate a little. It wasn't too bad but I did get the bottom half of my sweat pants wet. I hung on a lounge chair, dried off and watched the kids splash around in a shallower part of the pool. After about 20 minutes I told them it was time to go and get ready to leave for the Cruise. They did NOT want to stop swimming. I quickly learned this would become a theme for our entire trip. After giving them 5 more minutes and then another 5 and then promising we could swim once we got on the ship (off plan again). We were on our way back up to the room.

We got back in to the room took off our wet swimsuits and mom's wet pants. I found a bag to carry that stuff in for the rest of the day and everyone proceeded to take a quick shower. I got a day bag ready to bring with us on the ship and we put our magical express luggage tags onto our four suitcases, left them in the room to be picked up and went to grab some breakfast.

One of the reasons I selected the Hyatt in addition to it being convenient being right in the airport and all is because they have an arrangement with Disney that if you have a room booked at the MCO Hyatt the night before your cruise and you are taking the DCL transfer bus to Port Canaveral the morning of your cruise you can leave your bags right in your hotel room and they will magically appear in your cruise stateroom later that day. Here is a great blog post from the Disney Cruise Mom Blog on how exactly the process works: http://www.disneycruisemomblog.com/hyatt-mco-and-disney-cruise-line-transfers/.

Since we still had some time to kill before I wanted to be down at Disney's Magical Express we went to the hotel restaurant to have breakfast. Surprisingly our waitress told us that kids 5 and under were free and all other kids were just $6 for the buffet. Since my kids don't eat much that was perfect. I took the kids up to the buffet where they each selected some cereal, pancakes, and fresh fruit. They actually both ate a pretty decent breakfast especially for the price. Darren and I both decided to order from the menu. I ordered the eggs Benedict which were just okay. For some reason my stomach was feeling a little queasy (nerves? excitement?) so I ate about half and felt full.

We finished up breakfast and headed down to the lower level of the airport to the Disney Magical Express area to catch our ride to Port Canaveral. When we got to the area just after 10:00am there were plenty of cast members directing Disney World guests versus Cruise guests. They also told you what documents to have prepared and ready when you got to the front. I'm not sure why, but I was really surprised by the huge line. It actually didn't take too long. Maybe 15 minutes or so and we were the first people seated on a new bus. We got our selection of seats right up front (first ones off) and waited a fairly short amount of time for the buss to fill up.

A cast member came on and told us to expect about a 50 minute ride to Port Canaveral and then we were off and watching a video of Mickey and his friends getting ready to take their first Disney Cruise. The ride was quick and painless and we got to the port in no time. However, we did see an accident happen just a few cars ahead of us and I saw on the Facebook group later that day that some buses got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic because of that accident. Hope everyone was okay.

We arrived at Port just about 11:30am (I had a 11:45 Port Arrival Time) and got to see the ship. It really was BIG and BEAUTIFUL! We quickly breezed through security (nothing like the airport) and made our way up the escalator into the cruise terminal itself. Can't really explain what I had imagined but I can say it was very different. Not worse or better just totally different. There were a lot of crowds and my initial reaction was this is going to take a while but to my delight we were walking through the mickey ears in no time. We first were directed to check-in. There were plenty of cast members around directing people where to go to keep things organized. I didn't even have enough time to pull out all the paper work and we were up. We quickly were checked by a really friendly gentleman who gave us our key to the world cards and explained all their uses during the cruise. I quickly checked and was relieved to see the dining rotation (ERAERRA) I had requested in advance had been granted. We finished check-in. The cast member gave us our boarding number and suggested we go get the kids signed up for kids club.

We decided to first get in line for a photo with Goofy. The line was surprisingly really short. After a few people's photos Pluto came out and took over for Goofy but we didn't mind. There was a DCL photographer at Pluto. I had pre-purchased the package that included all the digital images so I wanted to make sure all photos we took arrived on our account. Every time I kept checking the photo with Pluto wasn't included. I finally asked for help around day 3 and was told for some reason the photos from the cruise terminal usually don't show up until day 3 or 4. Funny enough later that day it was there. Just thought it was a tip worth sharing. We got our photo with Pluto after waiting only about 5 minutes and were going to head over to sign up the kids for the club when we realized our board number was up. Here we go...

BOARDING THE FANTASY & SAILING AWAY
We quickly scanned our Key To The World Cards (first of many times) and headed under the infamous mickey ears. We waited on a relatively short line to take our welcome photo. Then as we headed into the lobby we were asked our family name and were announced "welcome to the ship the Galvani family." I know a lot of people love this part but I thought it was a bit unnecessary and it got a little monotonous has I heard many more families being announced while waiting in line. Stepping on to the ship was fine, but not one of those magical moments I was expecting. I think it was a little too much going on to feel the magic of it that moment.

We went up one flight of stairs to port adventures to get our Disney Jr Character breakfast tickets and Frozen meet and greet tickets. The boys had opted out of the Princess Gathering. Unfortunately for me they are not hug fans of princesses - they think they are too GIRLY. However, Anna and Elsa were favorites in our house for a while so I decided to get tickets for the that and see what would happen.The line for the event tickets was LONG. Like wrapped all the way around long and it wasn't moving fast. We waited about 30 minutes but it felt like an hour. The kids at this point were getting anxious. They kept reminding me of my promise to swim as soon as got onto the ship and I know I was getting a little hungry. After what seemed like forever we got to the front of the line. We received a ticket for the Disney Jr Character Breakfast for the first sea day at 9:00am and Frozen Meet and Greet for the second sea at 8:00am. Important to note that since our cruise, actually less than a few weeks later, DCL started offering guests the opportunity to book the ticketed events (meet and greats and breakfasts) in advance. I think this move was REALLY smart. No one wants to start off their cruise waiting in a long line. I also asked about any cabana availability at Castaway Cay, figuring you never know but as expected they were all book

We made our way up to deck 11 (this would become our favorite deck of the ship) and let the kids change into their bathing suits for some long awaited swimming. The rode on the Mickey Slide a few times. They both loved this slide and found it even more exciting when Hubby told them they would go faster if they laid down on their back. They also spent some time in the Mickey Pool and in Nemos Reef. At this point my hubby and I were starved. We took turns getting some food from cabanas and sat outside near the pools to enjoy. It was my first moment that I felt like I was on vacation. A plate full of yummy shrimp and crabs sitting outside near the pool watching the kids have a blast. Now we're on vacation!

After lunch I decided to go check out the self serve ice cream and couldn't help but treat myself to a banana ice cream cone. Yum!!! They always had chocolate, vanilla, choc/vanilla twist, strawberry, banana, and straw/banana twist.

After swimming we were all getting a little tired and cranky and were ready to check out the stateroom but I figured it would be best to get the Kids club registration and open house done. Jack, my older son had been saying that he didn't want to go to the Kids club and he only agreed cause we told him Mom and Dad were coming in with them. We checked out both the Oceaners Club and the Oceaners Lab. What an amazing space. It really is so uniquely designed and offers everything a kid could imagine. We checked out each of the spaces and then finally headed off to our stateroom.

I had booked a family oceanview room with verandah. We were mid-ship on deck 7, stateroom 7068. I loved the location of this room. It was right off the midship elevators. The room had 2 bathrooms, one with a toilet and sink and one with shower and sink. I didn’t think this feature would come in as handy as it actually did but it was great to have the two separate bathrooms. We had a queen bed and the couch which would later be converted into bunk beds, what seemed like plenty of storage, and of course access to the balcony. The balcony was great. While I didn’t sit on it and relax as much as I would have thought it was still great to check out outside and to dry clothes when we were in Port. I will say that I was really impressed with how safe it was with younger kids. The door was hard to open, even for myself. There was a very high lock that no kids could access and then you had to turn the handle and pull hard. Definitely a pretty impossible task for a six and three year old. And once on the balcony the railing was high enough that I wasn’t concerned with the kids being out there with us.

There was a bucket with a six pack of Corona, a bucket with a six pack of Heineken, and a dozen water bottles – all which I had pre-ordered through gifts and amenities before we left. I put the beer in the fridge along with some waters and quickly found a place to store the leftover water bottles above the desk. We all hung out on the balcony for a while and checked out the Carnival Magic that was docked right besides us. The kids were obviously tired so I put on Monster’s University and in just a few minutes Darren and the two boys were all zonked out for a mid-day nap. I on the other hand was way to amped up to nap. Instead I grabbed a corona (or two) and hung out on the balcony soaking up some sun and starting looking through the navigator.

The Carnival Magic​

From our Balcony​

Ben's out​

Both boys are out​

When it came time to wake everyone up for the safety drill I realized it wouldn’t be such an easy task. I had a really hard time getting everyone up including hubs. I finally got him up and moving and we pretty much had to carry the kids to the drill. Our drill was held in the Buena Vista theater so it was comfortable and fairly quick. After the drill we headed up to deck 11 for the sail away party. The elevator bank was already packed and my husband was very kind enough to let others head of us until I spoke up and said we need to be more aggressive or well never get a spot. I don't think he liked that but I had wanted to watch the party from deck 12 so we could see the show below and also see the ship pull away but when we got up to deck 12 there wasn’t any spots available near the railings and I knew if we stayed up their the kids would not be able to see the show. We headed back down to deck 11 and actually got a spot that wasn’t horrible. I grabbed my and Darren some drinks. He had a corona and tried the drink of the day – a Bahama mama. How could I not? The kids who were also still a bit cranky and could have used a longer nap where hot and wanted something to drink. I splurged and bought them specialty drinks in a big frozen cup. Now it was time to get this party started.

In all honestly, I didn’t love the sail away party. It was cute but there was more dancing by cast members who were melting in their costumes than the characters themselves and there was minimal audience interaction. I thought it was supposed to be a party? Oh well. The deck quickly cleared when it was over and we headed back up the stairs to deck 12 to watch the ship sail after to sea. We went back to the room to happily find all our luggage had arrived. I did a quick unpack and got everyone changed for dinner. I also hung up our door magnets. Door magnets were something I had planned on doing but in the end figured why not. I ordered them from a company on ETSY called Mickeydesignsbybeth. I am SO glad I did them. It made the door really fun and WAY easier to find. I know I would have walked past it a dozen or so times if it weren’t for the magnets. It also helped the kids identify the door. Now they are a great keepsake and are currently hanging on our freezer door. I keep hoping the freezer will somehow magically lead back to the Fantasy… maybe…hoping..wishing.. :)

IMG_7702.jpg

Our first night’s dinner was in Enchanted Garden. It actually ended up being my favorite themed restaurant. It had the great mix of elegant restaurant and Disney magic combined. We were seated at a table for eight and quickly met our servers who would be with us throughout our entire sailing. Steve and Bien were fantastic and they made our time on the ship even more special. Steve explained that we would be sharing our table with another couple who also had two boys ages 6 and 3. My husband gave me a look and I could see he wasn’t too happy about this and I explained that we could request to switch but I thought it would be nice to meet some people. In the end we actually ending up getting along fantastically with the family we were seated with. My boys became quick friends with their boys and constantly asked for them throughout the trip. We spent a few times together outside of the dining room including an excursion and some time on Castaway Cay. I also got to spend some time with the other mom at the disco one night but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself.

Now on to the food. I have to apologize in advance for the lack of food photos. I was always too caught up in the moment to think of taking photos at dinner. Bien presented us with the wine packages and we decided upon a three bottle premium wine package. We knew were were having PALO and REMI two nights and weren’t sure if we would drink wine on all the other nights so figured 3 bottles should suffice. Darren and I picked a bottle of the Kim Crawford Savignon Blanc for the first night that was really good and crisp. For dinner I had (rating included) the applewood smoked bacon mushroom tart (8/10), spinach raspberry salad (5/10), caramelized sea scallops (7/10), warm sticky data pudding (7/10). I really enjoyed my first meal on the Disney Fantasy. The tart was my favorite part of the meal but the scallops were also really good. The salad was kind of blah and I remember not eating much of it. And while the sticky date pudding wasn’t the bread pudding from Ohana it was tasty and gooey and I wasn’t complaining. Jack had chicken fingers and fries and Ben picked pasta with butter. It wasn’t the first they’d be eating these meals this cruise. For dessert the boys had Mickey Bars. The looked so good and I promised myself I would make it a point to have one before the cruised ended.

ONE LAST SPLASH
After dinner we decided to skip the show and head back up to the pool. We went back to the room and got our swim suits on and Darren took the boys upstairs. I finished unpacking and quickly joined them. Darren and I each took turns taking Jack on the Aqua Duck. There was not line. Literary we just walked right on three times in a row. I quickly learned night time was the best time to maximize the pools and aqua duck. They kids also splashed around the Mickey Pool. They were playing The Descendents on the Funnel Vision and while I had never seen it before it gave us something to watch while the kids swam. The wind that night was a bit chilly so I grabbed a cup of hot tea from the self serve station while sitting and watching the movie. They have a pretty extensive selection of Twinings tea available 24/7. Around 9:30pm we headed back to the room to find chocolates and tomorrow’s navigator. However, no towel animal. I wondered if we would have any on subsequent nights. Every quickly got on their PJs, hoped into bed and quickly dossed off. I updated my vacation journal and quickly joined them as well.

Next up: our first sea day, zoo topic, mixology, and formal night. Oh yeah, and where did Jack go?

Last edited:
Great start so I hope you won't keep us waiting too long for the next installment. You have a very handsome family.

MORE PHOTOS THAN A WORKOUT
I woke up at 5:45. I tried to roll back over but when it was 6:00am and I will still awake I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. I quietly put on my workout clothes, grabbed my phone for pictures, and headed out. I decided to check out the jogging track on deck 4. Deck 4 has a jogging track that you’ll see people using in the mornings. I believe a mile was 2.5 laps around the ship. Deck 4 also also shuffle board courts around the deck and some loungers for relaxing. It was really nice to check out the sea from the quietness of deck 4. There was hardly anyone out so I started jogging but couldn’t help stopping every so often to admire the sunrise and take pictures. After a short jog I decided to check out some of the other areas of the ship. I stopped by the lobby and finally got to enjoy the beauty and grandness of it without all the crowds. I checked out Enchanted Garden and Royal Court. I also saw were we could check out our photos that were taken by DCL photographers on the digital screens and went by the adult area of the ship. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the bars were open so that I could pop my head in and take a few pictures. I also checked out the D Lounge, the family entertainment area, and headed up to deck 12 to check out the Cove Café and deck 13 to check out Satellite Falls.I headed back to the room just before 8 to find everyone still sleeping. I grabbed a quick shower and started waking everyone so that we could get ready for our Disney Jr. Character breakfast.

Loved deck 4

Perfectly peacefull

Here comes the sun

I could get use to this view every morning

The chandelier in the lobby was amazing

As was the lobby itself

Royal Court

Enchanted Garden

The bathroom in Europa (the adult district)

Skyline bar and lounge

La Piazza

Oh La La

D Lounge (family friendly lounge)​

MEESKA MOOSKA
The Disney Jr. Character Breakfast was held in Animator’s Palate. I love the décor of Animator’s Palate. It’s a lot of fun and definitely has a lot of extra special Disney touches. During the Disney Jr. Breakfast, Disney Jr. Shows were playing on the TVs and some of the favorite Disney Junior Tunes were filling the room. We were sited at a table for four and given menus. Shortly after they came over and took our orders. I went with the Doc's Fix Em Up Breakfast which consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, ham and a hash brown. Before being served our orders they came over with a selection of pastries. I selected a chocolate croissant. It was good. Definitely not the best I have had but it was still a chocolate croissant. My breakfast was also fine. It was nothing special and I much favored the breakfast in Cabanas. Hubby had the Hot Diggity Hash and also said it was okay. The boys each ordered the Meeska Mooska Mickey Waffles but they didn’t eat much. However, I had a taste and they were YUMMY! I think the boys were too busy with the excitement that was coming. First up came Sophia, followed by Doc, Jake and then the best for last, Mickey. Each of the characters spent times with the boys to sign their autograph books, take photos, and joke around a little. There is no DCLphotographer during the breakfast so make sure to bring your camera. I also should anote that this was the first time we felt the vibration of the ship. Animator's Palate is in the AFT (back) part of the ship of Deck 3 so just above the motors. You could visibly notice the glasses shaking on the table.

Meeska Mooska MickeyWaffles

Animator's Palate

Here they come

Princess Sophia

Doc McStuffins

IMG_7727.jpg

Jake

Mickey Mouse!!!

After breakfast before heading back up to the room to get our swim suits on we stop by the shops for the first time. I picked up a photo frame (I always buy a different photo frame every Disney trip), some magnets for the grandparents, a cute mickey hand sanitizer holder and we let the kids each pick out one small thing. Of course they both wanted the largest items in the store but since I was worried about how we were going to repack the suitcases and get everything home, I once again stressed something small. They both ended up picking a mystery blind box. This time around (yes another recurring theme) they each picked a Zootopia box. I also quickly checked out the Pandora charms as I was planning to buy one of the DCL exclusives while onboard.We also took some time to take some photos in the portholes.

Yoda Ben

Jack strikes a pose

Benny​

A ZOO OF A DAY
After changing into our suits we headed up to Deck 11. I would say it was around 10:30 at this point and the deck was packed. There were really no seats to be found. We also noticed the Donald pool was closed. It actually seemed quite often throughout the trip one of the two pools would be closed. We decided to head up to deck 12 and see if we could find a spot on the railing so we could at least see the kids below but no such luck. We did find a smaller pool. I heard about this pool before. It's actually called the Funnel Puddle. I would almost call it a baby pool and say it's perfect for those 2 and 3 year old that are potty trained. I did see one of two kids during the week that appeared to by wearing swim diapers but there were signs all around saying that kids must be potty trained. There wereplenty of seats near this pool so we hung out there for a while. My three year old Ben loved it and could have stayed there all day but my six year old Jack got bored fairly quickly. My husband took Jack down to the Mickey pool and I stayed up with Ben and relaxed while he splashed around.

The Funnel Puddle pool​

After about 30 minutes we went downstairs to find Darren and Jack. We found them through the thick crowds and I sent Darren upstairs to relax while I hung my feet in the Mickey pool while the kids swam. At one point Jack needed to use the restroom and since he knew where it was he wanted to go by himself. He's at that age that he wants to have independence. I decided to let him go by himself instead of having to drag Ben out of the pool and all march over to the bathrooms. After about 10 minutes I started getting nervous that he wasn't back. I walked over to the bathrooms and had someone check and he wasn't in there. Now I was panicked and started looking all over the deck. I franticallywaved Darren down to take Ben while I continued looking. After about 10 minute of searching I found him. He was frantically wondering around looking for me. He was visibly upset himself and said he came back and couldn't find me and kept searching. Even though I knew he couldn't really go anywhere and I knew he was probably just lost in the crowds it was a little scary there for a bit. I will say that later in the cruise in much less crowded situations when we were more familiar with the boat he went to the bathroom by himself with no problems at all.

Around 12:00 noon we decided to leave the pool area and head down to see Zootopia. We went back to the room and changed into dry clothes. Darren took the kids downstairs toget some seats. I went back up to deck 11 to grab some chicken, fries, pizza and other snacks. When I got back down to deck 4 the movie had just started and the theater was packed. I mean not an empty seat in the whole house. I found Darren and the kids and we all watched the movie and had some lunch. This was the second time we had seen Zootopia. We saw it a few weeks ago when it had come out but it is one of the kidsfavorite and they kept saying how they wanted to see it again on the cruise. I have to say it was just as cute and funny the second time around.

However, I did seem to forget how long the movie was. We had a mixology scheduled for 2:00 and when 1:45 hit and we still had a ways to go with the movie I started to stress a bit. I knew the kids would have a melt down if I made them leave and besides we were in a middle of a row full of people and I already had shuffled by with all the food when I came in. So I decided to stick it out and see what happened. The movie ended about 1:20 and we quickly checked the kids into Oceaner's Club and headed to the adults area. Wefound our group in the Skyline lounge and were happy to learn they were only on drink #2. The mixology group was organized on our particular cruise's Facebook page. You try 5 different cocktails. They show you how they are made and members of the group take turns mixing the drinks for the entire group. We were quickly brought over drink #1 and #2 and caught up with the rest of the group. Mixology was a great way to meet some other people on the cruise and sample different drinks for $20 each.

After mixology hubby and I went out onto the deck on level 4 and watched the ship sail. We saw a city far off in the distance which we later learned was Cuba. That was pretty cool. We decided it was time to pick up the boys so we could relax a bit before getting ready for Formal night.

DINNER & SHOW
We got back to the room and while everyone relaxed I took a shower and got dressed.Darren and Ben were asleep so I got Jack dressed and we decided to go meet some characters while Darren and Ben got ready. We got in line to meet Mickey. It was about a15 minute wait but we got some great photos of me and Jack with the Captain. Also it was the Captain's Gala and they came around with drink trays quite often. The drinks included wine (red and white), beer, and some kind of mixed drink or two. I realized later that one of the drinks were non-alcoholic but they didn't make that very clear when they came around. Afterwards we went downstairs and hoped into line for the formal staircase photo shot. The line was long and we ended up with about a 30 minute wait but I got to enjoy another glass of complimentary wine. Darren and Ben met us about halfway through and we got our staircase photos. I should note that during these waits I did let the kids use my phone to play games and look through pictures we had taken already. It helped kill the time for them and made it a less stressful situation.

Dinner tonight was in Royal Court. We were a little late due to waiting to take the photos but it wasn't a problem at all. We chose a bottle of red this night to compliment dinner. In all honesty I can't remember which bottle it was. I just know that it was red and it was a good wine. Royal Court was elegant and beautiful and a perfect setting for formal night. However, while I loved the restaurant, the decor was actually my least favorite of the three. It was stunning I just preferred the others. For dinner tonight I had the following (ratings included): Gaston's Escargot Gratinee (8/10), hubby and I also shared the breaded and deep fried brie (7/10), french onion soup (8/10), chateau briand roasted filet (6/10), and finally the Grand Marnier Souffle (9/10). I really liked the escargot, however I should note that Hubby thought they were bland. The brie was just okay. It was kind of cold so it lost its meltiness but it's brie so it was still good. The french onion soup was also really good. Not the best I had but it definitely was a good french onion. I had wanted the pasta but when I asked my server if it was good he said he would recommend the filet. I wasn't really feeling it. I'm not sure if it wasn't good or I just wasn't in the mood but I had just a few bites and pushed it aside. However, our server definitely made up for it when here commend the Grand Marnier Souffle. I was the only one who took his advice and I think the rest of the table was feeling jealous. It was delicious! The kids had the same meal as the night prior: Jack had chicken fingers and fries and Ben had pasta with butter.Ben had a Mickey bar again but Jack requested plain vanilla ice cream.

At this point I have to admit I was feeling pretty tipsy. I had the two glasses of wine in the lobby followed by another two at dinner. Leaving the restaurant my server convinced me (wasn't to hard to twist my arm) to take the remaining glass of wine left in the bottle to go. Walking out of the restaurant a spilled a bit of that wine. Thankfully not the full glass but unfortunately what I did spill ended up on my older son. So, we quickly went back to the room where he changed his shirt and hubby got into something a little more comfortable. Then we went down to the theater and got spots for Aladdin. We actually got a pretty decent spot. It was on the right hand side of the theater in the front. I will say that it was right in front of the two individuals who acted out the play in sign language. I think it's awesome that Disney does this and that everyone gets to experience DCL's awesome stage shows but I have to admit I did find it a little distracting. Hubby got some popcorn and two really awesome BB8 cups with drinks for the boys. The show was really good and the special effects were quite impressive for being on a ship. The genie though definitely made the show. He used humor that both the kids and the adults could relate to.

I'm not sure why or how the kids convinced us. Actually since I was still feeling a little tipsy I guess I could understand how they convinced me but not sure about Darren, but after the show we got our swimsuits on and went up to deck 11. However the pools werejust closing as we got up there. It was 10:00 already. We grabbed some milk for the kids and they drank it as we watched some of Avengers: Age of Ultron on Funnel Vision.Then headed back to the room for bed.

During the night I woke up not feeling well and ended up getting sick. Now, while I did have a few drinks and was feeling good I definitely was not at the drunk level of getting sick. I think it was just a combination of the mix of drinks I had during the day (remember mixology, captain's gala and dinner) and all the food I ate (definitely didn't need to have some of that popcorn during the show) along with the movement of the ship. Thankfully I quickly feel back asleep and was thankful that we turned the clocks back one hour tonight, meaning I would have an extra hour of sleep.

Up Next: When can we actually swim with the dolphins?

Following along! We had 7068 and 7070 on our last cruise! (An eastern though)
Enjoying your report!

Loving your report so far. We will be celebrating our 40th birthdays on the Fantasy in December. Just like you, I had wanted something that would allow for family time as well as adult alone time. We also went back and forth between this and Beaches, and we decided on the cruise....Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Loving your report so far. We will be celebrating our 40th birthdays on the Fantasy in December. Just like you, I had wanted something that would allow for family time as well as adult alone time. We also went back and forth between this and Beaches, and we decided on the cruise....Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

It definitely was a perfect family vacation. The first few days I wondered if Beaches would have been better simply because all the kids really wanted to do was swim and the pools at beaches would have been a lot bigger and less crowded but we found our grove and I think we were all very happy with the decision. The kids keep asking when we will go on another one.

BREAKFAST IN BED
I woke up on Monday after getting sick during the night still not feeling so great. I felt queasy and had the weird feeling in your throat you get after getting sick. Thankfully we didn’t have to meet for our excursion until 9:50 so we didn’t have to rush out. I tried falling back to sleep but that wasn’t happening. I actually was feeling pretty hungry so I decided to head up to cabanas and make myself a plate of food to bring back to the room.
I was really impressed by the spread at Cabanas. There was way more choices than what I had imagined and there was more than just your usually. For example, instead of having just one kind of sausage choice there were patties, thicker links, and thin links. I even saw Turkey bacon which I appreciated but hey I was on vacation.

Actually with my stomach not feeling so great I tried to stick with more basic lighter foods. I selected an English muffin and some scrambled eggs. Next to the eggs they offered nice thick slices of grilled tomatoes and some sauteed spinach. A traditional French breakfast, scrambled eggs, tomato slices, and spinach are one of my favorite breakfast meals. So even though spinach wasn’t exactly the light plain breakfast I was thinking of I went for it. I also decided to grab some cereal and milk for the kids and a huge plate of delicious fresh fruit for us all to share. The selection of fruits were really impressive. They had a large selection of cut up and whole fruit every day.

By the time I got back to the room Hubby and the kids were up. Hubby decided to go grab breakfast up at cabanas and wonder around the ship for a little. The kids and I ate breakfast in bed while watching Frozen (Ben's choice and i had been a while). The food was definitely helping me feel better and the spinach was delicious!! It definitely wouldn’t be the only time I enjoyed that for breakfast.

Ben enjoying his cereal and milk
After breakfast we took showers and all got ready to head to the D Lounge, our meeting spot for our Dolphin Interaction Excursion. Since the Shutters area is right outside of the D Lounge I took a few minutes and checked out our digital pictures. They looked great so far and I was really happy with the way the shots from Formal night came out. It looked like everything was there with the exception of our Pluto shot from Port Carneveral.

I tied to get door photos as much as I could remember
SWIMMING (ACTUALLY NOT SWIMMING) WITH THE DOLPHINS
We checked in for our excursion and all got matching stickers to identify what group we would be part of. We were part of the Timon group (from Lion King). The also reminded you at check-in that you needed your Key To The World Cards for each member of your party and identification for each adult. We got our towels and waited for others to arrive. I realized that I hadn’t grabbed cash for any tips or souvenirs. At the same time I realized this it was announced that we were going to start heading down to the deck 1 gangway. I decided to run up the few flights of stairs to our room and meet the group downstairs. It worked out fine and I actually met them as they were walking down the steps.

Walking through the port in Cozumel was kind of a pain. I’m not sure if it was partially because we were trying to stay with a large group but it seemed to be a lot of walking and a lot of going up and down. Meaning we had to go up a escalator to go down an escalator to go up and down another one, at least I think. We finally made it through the Port, which seemed to consist of nothing more than gift shops and we all gathered to learn more about how the excursion would work. Our group leader told us about the place we were going, Dolphinaris and what was included. He told us that it included all the food and drinks but that it was some kind of special election day and therefore no alcohol was going to be served. You heard a pretty unanimous unhappy sigh throughout the crowd until our leader told us he was just kidding there would be plenty of alcohol. Funny guy :) Our leader then help us all load into separate taxis which took us for about a five minute drive to the location.

When we arrived the kids were each given a Dolphinaris plastic bag with a little dolphin inside. They were excited to get a gift and the Dolphins were pretty cute. We were asked to wait in one of the little restaurant areas of the place. You could see all the different lagoons and we even saw some Dolphins doing different tricks and swimming around. I took a short video:

At Dolphinaris waiting to be called
While we waited we could help ourselves to free soft drinks from a soda machine. Thank goodness. I think I have failed to mention so far how HOT it was. I mean HOT. Now we are coming from the East coast and to be honest we haven’t had much of a spring so far. The weather has been chilly still, in the 60s for the most part. So maybe we just weren’t used to it but it was definitely hot. So the soft drinks were welcome. I actually let my kids have some Sprite. They had never had soda before but they were red and seemed to be drained and I figured a little bubbly sugar might perk them up.

After waiting about 15 minutes we were gathered together and explained that we should store all items and leave on nothing but our swim suits and head down to the bar area to be given life jackets, etc. I decided to buy a locker. I think it was $10 but it included a little draw string bag. However, the line for the lockers wasn’t short. I think I waited on line about 10 minutes before paying for my key. I found the rest of the family and we put everything in a locker and went down to the bar area as instructed.

We ran into some showers on the way down to the bar and I couldn’t help but jump under and cool myself off. It felt great and I was a much happier camper being wet and temporarily cooled off. When we got to the bar area we realized there would be more waiting so my husband went to get himself a margarita. The next think I know Jack came over to me drinking a strawberry daiquiri looking drink. I questioned him on where he got it and he said Dad ordered it for me. I kept saying are you sure? I tasted it and I didn’t taste like alcohol but I wasn’t totally convinced until hubby got back and confirmed. The wait at the bar area seemed to take a while. I would say about 20 minutes but the kids enjoyed their virgin strawberry daiquiris while they waited. They finally called our group number and we went over to get our life preservers. I had purchased two interaction tickets for the kids and two observer tickets for me and Darren. This was based off other recommendations I read that said parents would still be allowed in the water with their kids even though they were just “observers” and it saved a significant amount of money. Observers had different colored bracelets then everyone else and I started getting a little nervous because I noticed most people had the interaction colored bracelet. But I was relieved when they suited us all up and told us to start heading towards the water.

However, before climbing down the stairs to the lagoon we did some more waiting. Actually enough waiting for my husband to order and drink a second margarita. Finally after about another 15 minute wait we were heading down. There were about 10 kids in the lagoon each with an adult and we lined up as the dolphins were called over. They dolphins did a few tricks for us including battling the group in a water fight which was cute and then they started down the line doing their interactions. We were the last on line and it felt like it took forever to get to us. Perhaps it was the heat – the water where we were standing in wasn’t more than a foot deep, and the kids were very anxious – they wanted to be swimming and splashing around not just standing there having behaving and to be honest I couldn’t blame them, or maybe it was the fact that the whole interaction was centered around the photos that were being taken by a Dolphinaris photographer. Anyways finally they got to us and each of the boys got to shake hands, high five, pet, and kiss a dolphin – all with the direction to look at the camera and smile.

Hi Dolphin

They were really cute

Water fight with the Dolphin

It felt so good getting splashed
DSC_0126.jpg

Jack meets the Dolphin

Jack shakes his hands

High Five with the dolphin

Kisses XOXO

Kiss on the cheek

Jack pets the Dolphin

Dad, Jack and Mr. Dolphon

Ben shakes hands

High five for Ben

almost there Benny

Petting the dolphin

Ben and Mom with the dolphin

Ben went in for the real thing :)

When the interaction was over we were brought back up stairs to view our photos that were taken during the experience. We were told it would be a few minutes until our pictures were loaded but a few minutes turned into another 15/20 minute wait until we were told they were having technical difficulties and that we should go enjoy lunch and come back. It sounded good to me. We decided to go the second dining which seemed less chaotic. They had a small buffet set up with authentic tacos and nachos. The food was actually really good. They also had someone coming around to take your drink orders. I enjoyed a diet coke, the boys had another round of virgin strawberry daiquiris, and I believe Darren had a beer. We enjoyed the relaxing environment and yummy food until we were stuffed and headed back up to view the photos.

The photos were finally working and I took a look through them. They were OK. Honestly there was nothing great but I wanted a least one of each boy for a keepsake. The smallest package they offered was three photos for $60. WOW! That was a lot of money. I picked the three photos out and when the employee came over he tried to sell me a package that included all the digital images for $300. No thank you!! That was more than I paid for all the digital images of the whole entire cruise. I politely declined and said I would just like these three photos, please. She then said oh I see you have two kids and proceed to tell me they had a family special for $110 that included all the images on a disk and 2 printouts. I went for it. For $50 more it just seemed like a much better deal. I did get about 30 images on the disk which was nice. She printed me out a slip and told me it would be about a 15 minute wait until my photos were ready. What? Another 15 minute wait, are you kidding? I was nearly ready to just walk away but couldn’t give up without any keepsake or photo of the experience. We waited our 15 minutes, picked up and paid for our photos and got a taxi back to Port.

It had been my plan to stop at the Mega mart which is just outside the Port to get the kids Kinder eggs. They are obsessed with watching the opening of Kinder Eggs on YouTube and they are illegal in the Untied States. I knew they would be thrilled to have some that they could enjoy during the Cruise. I also wanted to get some Mexican vanilla for myself. However, after a long day of waiting I couldn’t imagine doing that walk in the heat and was anxious to just get back to boat. On the way through the port we stopped and got he kids a souvenir. They each selected some NFL themed mask. It was definitely an odd choice, but I had no muster to argue at that point. I negotiated with the shop a bit and got a deal I could live with and we headed back onto the boat. I loved that they had flavored waters available and ice cold hand towels at each port when reentering the boat. It felt great and I was happy to be back on the ship. The security process getting back on was super easy and quick.

My goofballs on the gangway

I felt welcomed home​

PARADISE ON THE SHIP

Once we got on the boat my plan was to let the kids relax and perhaps take a nap but I could see they were hyped up. They actually hadn’t done much activity for the day and they were ready to run. So off to the kids club they went. I left to drop them off and told Darren, who I could see was starting to doze off, to meet me up by the adults only pool. The pool area was pretty quiet and I found a perfect lounger that was up against the glass looking outside. Also there was a singer that was playing up on Deck 13 right above us but you could hear it perfect. I love live music so the vibe was great. I took a quick dip in the pool and relaxed on the lounger and read some of my book and dozed off for a bit. I was really feeling relaxed and like I was on vacation. I decided to top it off by grabbing a banana ice cream cone. YUM! It was perfect and totally hit the spot. That afternoon by myself was actually one of my top moments of the cruise.

Pure Bliss

View of the gangway from Deck 11

Bathroom near the pool. Loved the mirror
It had been about two hours, btw – no sign of hubby still, so I decided to go back and pick up the boys. When I got there the kids were playing with Lilo and Stich and they wanted nothing to do with leaving. So I decided to let them stay and go shower up and get ready for Dinner in peace. Funny story – when I got back to the room my husband jumped out of bed and said I was just about to leave and come meet you. I said you do realize it’s two hours later right? He didn’t believe me. He thought it was only about ten minutes. Ha! Oh well, glad he got a good nap in.

About 45 minutes later I went back to get the kids and brought them back up to the room. I had planned on going down to Dinner early to get some more photos and meet some more characters but they boys now seemed a little wiped. They had such a great time at the kids club. They not only met Lilo and Stich but Sarge from Toy Story had also dropped by to teach them how to be real cadets. They also did some arts and crafts and made super hero capes, which they later would beg me to wear to dinner. I gave in! I decided to let the kids have some downtime while Darren got ready for dinner. I updated my trip journal which I hadn’t done the night before and caught up on some work emails.

I had logged on and received the free small Internet package on embarkation day when we were online waiting to get our character tickets. I not only purchased the package but also used it up while online. My mistake for not logging off. Whoops. So I purchased an Internet package that included 300 megabytes for $39. I had brought my laptop specifically to check emails so I didn’t have to worry about using the phone and sucking up all the data. I also decided to log on, collect all the emails into my inboxes, log off, go through sort them and respond as drafts, log back on and send. This seemed to work well and I was able to make the package last throughout the entire cruise.

Last edited:
DINNER, ACORNS, & MORE SWIMMING
One of the character meet and greets I had hoped to accomplish this evening was Chip and Dale and since they were the ones right before dinner, I decided to get the kids dressed and head downstairs with the kids and have Darren meet us. When we got down to the lobby Peter Pan and Captain Hook were there playing a game of duck duck goose with a bunch of kids. It was really cool and really spontaneous. I saw several things like this throughout the cruise and to me those are the best moments. The kids hung back and watched as they finished up. Peter Pan had all the kids chasing him around the lobby which was really fun. He eventually vanished somewhere and Captain Hook hung back to sign a few autographs. The boys got their autograph books signed so we will call it a successful surprise encounter.

Hook signing the autograph books

Door picture for the evening​

We then headed over to get in line for Chip and Dale. The line wasn't too long but it was getting close to dinner. We waited about 15 minutes. Darren had joined us during that time. Chip and Dale were great with the kids. They had a lot of fun playing with their super hero capes. They were holding on to the back of them and flying around the area. It was really cute. Jack and Ben were hysterical. I only wished I had gotten more video but just has I thought to take some they were wrapping up. Oh well it was a really cute memory.

Chip and Dale being superheros

The short video I did take​

After Chip and Dale we headed over to Animator's Palate for our night #3 dinner. It was the Turtle Talk With Crush show. If you have every been to Disney World or Disney Land you might be familiar with the Turtle Talk With Crush Show. They use the same technology where Crush swims to all the different screens across the restaurant and interacts with the guests. Unfortunately our table wasn't near a screen so not only where we not chosen to interact but we could really hear or even see what was going on. But the show definitely added some excitement and fun to the restaurant and the kids seemed to enjoy watching all the Nemo stuff going on up on the screens. The meal was my favorite meal of the main dining rooms. I started with the Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes (8/10), Creamy Butternut Squash Soup (8/10), Herb Crusted Pork Chop (9/10), and a Cookies ‘n Cream Sundae (8/10). The food this night was really delicious. The pasta purseittes that I read so much about prior to the cruise were definitely no disappointment. I never had squash soup before but since I wasn't too impressed with the salad on night one I decided to try it out. It was fantastic. Really good flavor and perfectly creamy. I actually wanted to lick the bowl. For dinner I went with the pork chop and I was by no way disappointed. It was delicious. It was cooked perfect and perfectly seasoned. I really enjoyed the entire meal and the sundae was a perfect way to end it. We didn't have wine tonight. My husband had a beer or two and I stuck to diet coke. During dinner, hubby surprised me with the cruise ship Pandora charm I had been wanting. I was very excited. Also, during dinner they had a DCL photographer taking table photos of your family.

After dinner the kids and Darren went ahead. I don't remember exactly why. I think maybe I had to use the restroom or maybe I wanted to check out something in the gift shops. But I met them in the lobby to find them dancing. It was really cute.

After a quick dance, we headed back up to the room to get on our bathing suits and headed to deck 11. The aquaduck was closed due to high winds but we spent time in the Mickey Pool and in the hot tub. WALL-E was playing on funnel fusion so hubby and I relaxed by the pool as the kids continued swimming. At one point I decided to go down to the gift shop. I still wanted to get something for my assistant at work who was holding down the fort for me and Darren suggested I look at the Pandora charms to make sure that was the one I wanted. They had a few that were exclusive to DCL including an anchor, the ship, and a heart that said DCL. I definitely liked the ship the best. I picked up a Christmas ornament and couldn't pass up buying two Captain Mickey plushes for the boys. On the way back up I stopped by the room and put the Mickeys on their beds. It was cute and I was excited for them to come back and see them. I got back up and let the kids swim for about 20 more minutes and then we headed down to the room but not without a quick stop at the self serve ice cream machine. I passed on it since I had already had ice cream that evening, instead I decided I would order some milk and cookies when I got back to the room. However, the kids and hubby indulged and we went back to the room. When we got in our room the kids were excited to meet the towel animal for the evening, a turtle. They also saw the Captain Mickey's and were so excited. When they asked where they came from I couldn't think of anything more appropriate then that Mickey must have brought them by. At that moment they totally believed it to be true and were super happy. They went to bed with big smiles that night saying that it was the best day.

I on the other hand was looking forward to my milk and cookies. I ordered them from room service, which was a really simple process and they came fairly quickly. I would say it was 15-20 minutes. Unfortunately during that time my stomach started really bothering me and I started feeling like I was going to get sick again and I did not want to do that. So I forced myself to fall asleep. I vaguely remember Husband getting the door as the room service arrived, but I was already off and dreaming of that comfy lounger and banana ice cream.

Last edited:
TIME TO STRETCH, SHAKE & SPLASH
I woke up early this morning and was feeling great. I decided to go take a jog and then do a sunrise stretch class at 7:30. The jog was nice. There were definitely a few more people out jogging then on my first day but it definitely wasn't crowded. After the jog I headed up on Deck 11 and after grabbing water from the drink station and a mat from the gym I was ready to stretch. The class was nice. The stretching felt great and it felt even better being outside. Out the windows of the deck I could see the Grand Caymans quickly approaching.

After stretching I headed back to the room and woke up the kids. There was a Disney Jr. Dance Party down in the D Lounge at 8:30 that I thought they would enjoy. They hesitantly got up, with the promise of swimming afterwards, and we headed down to the D Lounge. I don't think I mentioned it before but the D Lounge is a really cool space. They have a lot of the family activities in there throughout the cruise. I don't remember which night but one of the nights after swimming we stopped by to try out some family karaoke but it was pretty much empty so we skipped it. The Disney Jr. Dance Party was cute. I did think it would involve the Disney Jr. characters but it didn't. They play some Disney Jr. hits and had some crew member lead dances. We did have a special guest stop by, Goofy and that was cute. It's definitely more for the younger set. I would say 4 and under. My 6 year old Jack was hesitant for a while and sat next to me watching but he was signing and dancing from his chair and he ended up joining in on the fun. They even asked the parents to get up and join in on the fun for one of the dances.

After getting our groove on, we headed back up to Deck 11 (miss that deck so much) and after some complaining from the kids went into Cabanas for breakfast before hitting the pools. I was excited to get the same breakfast from yesterday with a much better stomach but unfortunately they didn't have spinach today. They had the big grilled tomatoes but no spinach, so I decided to add some bacon :). The kids had their normal - cereal and fresh fruit. I think I also got them a plate of mickey waffles and pancakes to share. They had drink stations in Cabanas and in addition to the normal soda, lemonade, and ice tea they also had juice available. Some of the stations offered some specialty juices. I personally enjoyed the Fuze ice tea at the drink stations. It was available in Cabanas and at the stations near the pools. It was unsweetened but there was always sweetener available to add right next to each station. I personal like to add one Splenda to mine. We sat in Cabanas and enjoyed some air conditioning and yummy food.

After a fairly quick breakfast. we went over to the pools. The Aquaduck was still closed so the boys took turns swimming in the Mickey Pool, going down the Mickey slide, and playing in Nemos Reef. Lion King was playing on Funnel Vision so hubby and I relaxed and watched some of that. Around 10:30 we headed back to the room to quickly get changed since we needed to be in the Buena Vista Theater for our excursion. Today we were doing the Nautilus Undersea Tour. It was a a semi-submarine boat where we would get to see underwater life. I picked this excursion since the kids were too young for snorkeling. It turned out our table mates from the main dining were doing the same excursion so the boys were really excited to spend time with their new friends. Off to Grand Caymans we went.

THE LONG AWAITED SUBMARINE
We met in Buena Vista theater and the crew members told jokes as we waited. They were pretty corny jokes and I happen to love corny jokes so me and the boys were cracking up. My husband thought we were nuts. After a relatively short wait we were lead down to the deck 1 gangway. The ship doesn't dock at a Pier in Grand Cayman so you take a tender boat over to the Island. There was no wait to get on the Tender and the ride was quick and painless. We sat on the lower level of the tender boat with our friends/table mates and watched out the window as we pulled into dock. The port itself was cute. It was much like what I had expected. A big square with shops and different stands. We were gathered with our group and told the buses were running a few minutes late. This is when the waiting began again. A few minutes late turned more into like 30/40 minutes late. Again it was hot, like really hot, so we got some Gatorades for the boys and I grabbed a coconut. My coconut would have been really good if it was cold but it wasn't, even thought the sign said fresh cold coconuts. Oh well, it was still fresh coconut which I love. Finally, just as I was about to give up and head back on the boat a bus showed up. We all gathered in the tight bus and finally took off. Less then 2 minutes later we pulled over. I thought to myself now what - only to learn that we had arrived. Seriously? We waited nearly an hour to get buses to take us less than half a mile down the road. UGH! What a pain. The rest of the excursion was fine. The submarine itself was cute and nicely decorated. I found the tour guide who was from Jamaica (not the Caymans) a little too much personally. However, we did see some really pretty coral, neat fish, a sting ray, barracuda, and some sunken pirate ships. While the air condition on the submarine didn't seem to be properly working, they did have a water cooler with nice cold drinking water. The tour itself lasted about an hour and then we got back on the buses and headed back to Port. At port the kids all used the bathroom (which was decent and kept clean) before getting back on the Tender. This time we sat upstairs and I made sure to take some pictures including one of the Fantasy.

We got back to the boat later than expected, due to the bus issue and we didn't have much time before we had to drop the kids of at the Kids club. Darren and I had a special afternoon/evening planned to celebrate our ten year anniversary. We went right up to deck 11 and grabbed some food from Flos. Jack had chicken fingers and fries. Ben had pepperoni pizza and fries. Both ate their food so it must have been good. Darren had a burger and he said it was ok. I had a spicy chicken sandwich and it was actually really good. It hit the spot. After eating we stopped and got some ice cream. Why not, right? I decided to change it up and instead of the banana I had gotten so far I tried a vanilla/chocolate twist. Then we headed down to deck 5 to drop the kids off at Oceaner's Club and then up to the room to get everything we need for our adults only time.

PURE BLISS AT SENSES
To start our anniversary celebration we treated ourselves to a couples choice spa treatment at Senses Spa in one of the couples villas. Senses Spa is located on deck 11 next to the adult only area. Upon checking in we were each directed to the individual locker areas and told to put our stuff in a locker and put on a robe. We had gotten a card in our stateroom upon arrival that reminded us of the appointment and told us to bring our bathing suits. I wasn't sure when we needed the bathing suit so I didn't put it on but carried it out with me. I saw Darren in the hall and suggested he get his as well. Once he returned we were directed to the waiting area and given forms to be completed. The forms asked typically questions about your previous spa experience and any current pain you may be experiencing. I had read that they therapists try and sell products after the treatments and to avoid those people would write a note on these forms that they weren't interested in purchasing products, just relaxing. I wrote a little note on mine and was just about to advise Darren to do the same, when our two therapists came in. Our therapists were two women. Unfortunately I don't remember there names but they were extremely nice and did an outstanding job. We were brought to the spa villa which was really nice. There was a nice treatment room with two massage beds and a veranda that had a hot tub and two very comfy lounge chairs. We were sat in the treatment room and each of our therapists talked to us about what we were looking to accomplish and had us pick which treatment we wanted. Their was a hot stone massage, bamboo massage, a scrub, and some other choices I couldn't really make out. To be honest it was hard to make out the therapists due to their strong accents and another conversation (Darren and his therapist) taking place just inches away. But it wasn't really a problem for me, I quickly picked the hot stone massage as I was really just looking to relax. We then went into the bathroom to put on our bathing suits and the ladies brought us outside for a foot ritual, which is a washing, exfoliation, and massage of your feet. It was similar to a pedicure, my husband who has never gotten a pedicure thought it was Amazing. We were then told that we should go into the hot tub and they would be out for us in about 15 minutes. Since it was quite hot that day and the sun was strong the hot tub got a little too hot so we got out, dried off, and spent some time relaxing on the comfy loungers. The therapists came out to get us and we headed into the treatment room to enjoy the next 70 minutes of pure bliss. My hot stone massage was absolutely wonderful. I have been fortunate enough to enjoy many spa treatments at many spas across the country, however this was one of the best treatments I have ever received. They did a really good job of incorporating all the senses including touch, smell, and even hearing. My husband also enjoyed his treatment and actually started snoring a few minutes in. It was actually pretty funny. After the treatments we were told to relax and when ready head back out onto the balcony to relax on the loungers. We were given a cup of tea, we each selected a choice of Twining tea and a platter of fresh fruits including chocolate dripped strawberries. It was very nice but at this point the sun was starting to set and was right at our level and shining super strong. Not only was it super hot but without sunglasses you had to squint or close your eyes. After a few minutes we decided to head back inside. We each sat down with our individual therapists and were given personal recommendations. My therapists recommend that I get massages at least once a week. I wish!!!! Then came the product pitching. Despite my request I was still pitched a slew of products and I was actually suckered into selecting one. I decided I would buy the oil. I do get dry spots in certain areas like my elbows, legs, feet, etc. that I figured it could be good to have but when she gave me the $80 bill to sign for it I quickly changed my mine. I did not need to spend an extra $80 on something I really didn't need or even want for that matter. So instead we gave additional gratuity above the included 15% and headed back to the locker rooms to get changed.

I had actually decided to get ready for the rest of our special evening in the spa instead of going back to the stateroom. It was a great decision. The showers were nice and large and the locker room was equipped with all the necessary supplies including shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion, qtips, cotton swabs, combs, hair ties, hairdryers, etc. I actually had forgotten my razor and was worried I have to end up getting ready back in the stateroom but they actually had disposal razors for use as well. I took a nice relaxing shower, did my make-up, and dried my hair before heading back to the stateroom to get dressed.

A DELIZIOSO 10 YEARS
To continue our anniversary celebration we had a reservation booked at Palo. One of Disney Fantasy's adult only specialties restaurants, Palo is Italian inspired and compares to some of the finer Italian restaurants we have in NYC. Before heading to Palo we decided to stop by the kids club and check on the kids. At the desk they scanned my key to the world card and I was informed that Jack was in the submarine room and Ben was eating dinner. I first found Jack and without even saying anything he begged me to stay longer. Well that was easier - 1 down 1 to go. I found Ben in the dining area. He was eating chicken fingers and some veggies. We'll he had veggies, not sure he was eating them. He was excited to see me and quick to abandon his spot and run over to me to leave. However, I told him Mom and Dad were going to have dinner but we just wanted to make sure he was okay and wanted to continue playing and that we would be back a little later. He said ok and I quickly left before he changed his mind. I decided it would be a good opportunity to take a professional shot of me and Darren and he reluctantly came with me into the lobby and took a picture in front of the very real looking (ha) backdrops. After a quick photo session, we headed up to deck 11, past the adult pool, and into the area that houses Palo and Remy. We checked in and were told we had some time until the restaurant opened. I guess at 6:00 we were one of the first reservations. We headed into Meridian, the cigar bar right in between the two restaurants and decided to have a drink. I selected a glass of champagne and Darren had a Sapphire and tonic. When we went to pay for the drinks I realized I didn't have my key to the world card. I must have scanned one of the kids when entering the kids club and taking the photos. We used Darren's card to charge the drinks and even though I was slightly concerned I tried not to worry about it and figured I would check a lost and found later on.

After about a 5-10 minute wait we were escorted into Palo and sat at a table right near the large windows. Our waitress, Alexa, came over, introduced herself, welcomed us to Palo, and told us a little bit about the restaurant and what to expect. Alexa was fantastic throughout the whole night and extremely attentive. We actually questioned a few times if she had any other tables she was serving. After giving us some freshly baked breads including a pizza bread, Alexa reviewed the menu with us and made some recommendations and asked us about drinks. I told her we were interested in a bottle of wine and she said she would send over the restaurant's sommelier. She helped us pick a bottle that would be a balanced compliment to Darren's fish and my red meat. It was a bottle of X and it was a perfect choice. First up was Palo's famous antipasti cart. Alexa rolled it over and said "now let me properly welcome you to Palo." The appetizer cart consisted of prosciutto, bresalo, parmesan reggiano, marinated olives and sun dried tomatoes. We told Alexa we would like to try everything and tableside she prepared us a very nice plate of all the yummy goodness to share. The plate was drizzled with an aged balsamic vinegar and then we had the choice to add one of several infused oils. I don't remember all the choices but we went with the rosemary infused oil. The whole plate was delicious and hubby and I quickly devoured it. For appetizer I had the tomato mozzarella capreses and Darren had the soft potato gnocchi. Both were delicious. We get some really good fresh mozerella here in NY and Palo’s was just as good. In between the appetizer and dinner we had a lemon sorbet with a blueberry. It was refreshing and an enjoyable way to cleanse the palate. Now for dinner I had a hard time deciding between the grilled prime beef tenderloin, aka as the Palo filet or the pappardelle con argosta (homemade pasta tossed in lobster tarragon sauce with leeks, white truffle oil, and grilled lobster. Alexa said I should go with the filet and she would bring an order of the pappardelle for us to share. Sure, why not ;). Darren order the Piquent Dover Sole which was filleted table side. I’m not sure if it is not order very often but Alexa had a really hard time filleting it table side. Now my husband’s family is in the fish market business and he used to work with them for many years so he know about filleting fish. He said Alexa wasn’t doing anything wrong but it was just a stubborn fish and she couldn’t seem to remove it from the bones. It was a little awkward and you could tell she was embarrassed about the situation. We kept trying to tell her not to worry and lighten the mood with some light jokes but it would have been a much better situation if it had just been prepared back in the kitchen. Also my food sat now on the table and I couldn’t help but thinking it was getting cold while we were waiting. Anyways, once it was done and we could dive in cold or not everything was delicious!!! Darren said he enjoyed his fish and even though it was a little butchered from the massacred filleting it was very tasty and he was surprised how much he enjoyed the sauce with the capers. My filet was top notch. It was perfectly cooked and served with two different sauces – a wine sauce and a blue cheese sauce. Both were good but I definitely preferred the blue cheese sauce – yummy. The filet was served with pancetta potatoes and sautéed spinach and both were also very enjoyable. Now on to the lobster pappardelle. It was amazing. I am so glad we got a side of it. I’m not 100 percent if I had to order one again which I would choice, but I’d probably lean towards the pappardelle. The flavors were to die for and the huge chunks of lobster were terrific. Before we had been served dinner Alexa asked us if we liked chocolate and if so suggested we try their famous chocolate souffle which the chef would start preparing now if we were interested. Of course, I had read and heard all about the souffle so I answered for the both of us and said yes we will each have one. Alexa asked if we also liked amaretto and since we did she said she would bring something special for us as well. The chocolate souffle was served with vanilla ice cream and Alexa also brought us an amaretto souffle which they were currently testing to perhaps add to the menu. The chocolate souffle was heavenly and just has good as it had been described. It came with both a vanilla and chocolate sauce and you could pour as much or little as you wanted into the souffle. It was also served with a scoop of vanilla gelato which accompanied it perfectly. It really was outstanding, but about half way through I decided to try the amaretto and that was it I pushed the chocolate aside and finished that amazing ramekin of deliciousness. The amaretto souffle was so good. While I loved the chocolate I definitely preferred the amaretto. So so so good. At the end of the meal we were given a complimentary limoncello shot, which I believe consists of lemon sorbet, Prosecco, apply brandy and limoncello. It was a refreshing way to end an absolutely delightful meal. We left Alexa a generous tip and thank her very much for a wonderful evening. Here are my food ratings: antipasta plate (9/10), tomato mozzarella capresse (8/10), Palo filet (10/10), lobster pappardelle (10/10), chocolate souffle (10/10), amaretto souffle (12/10).

We left PALO and went to pick up the kids from the kids club. We also wondered past the Shutterfly photo area and decided to check out our prints. After we figured out how the system works we found our binder located in the Minnie section and saw our pictures that had been taken. They were awesome. It was really fun how they add all the appropriate cute little borders. I knew then that I really wanted to prints and decided to find out how much more it would cost me to add them at some point before the last night. We headed back to the room to find a cute little bunny and our navigator for tomorrow. Oh and course four more little chocolates. I don’t remember which movie we watched before dozing off but I did give the kids some cookies and milk and I do remember that I was one happy girl as a I closed my eyes and went to slept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter