7 days at Universal

hulk51382

Mouseketeer
My family and I are thinking about trying Universal in May instead of our usual Disney vacation. When we go to Disney we usually go for 7 days. 5 days in the parks and 2 days for pool/Disney Springs. My questions is will there be enough for us to do at Universal for 7 days like there is in Disney? Thanks for any help!

You should have no trouble at all filling 7 days. You might want to adjust your thinking regarding 5 park days and 2 pool days - or at least know that you have the option to change that if you wish.

We spend 10 days and we hit the pool every day. We also hit the parks every day - sometimes twice. Typical day will be breakfast at the hotel, park(s), lunch, back to hotel for pool, go out for dinner then park(s) again - or park(s) then later dinner. Where you eat and when - and where you swim - can be decided on the fly at the last minute. The only change in that standard format is we typically sleep in and get room service breakfast one morning then head right to pool when it opens. Then we head to parks for a later lunch.

It's tough adjusting your thinking, but look at it as a vacation resort where you can have a relaxing vacation doing whatever you want including popping over to ride rides whenever you feel like it. And you can decide what you want to do or eat at the last minute depending on your mood at the time, not 6 months in advance.

You should have no trouble at all filling 7 days. You might want to adjust your thinking regarding 5 park days and 2 pool days - or at least know that you have the option to change that if you wish.

We spend 10 days and we hit the pool every day. We also hit the parks every day - sometimes twice. Typical day will be breakfast at the hotel, park(s), lunch, back to hotel for pool, go out for dinner then park(s) again - or park(s) then later dinner. Where you eat and when - and where you swim - can be decided on the fly at the last minute. The only change in that standard format is we typically sleep in and get room service breakfast one morning then head right to pool when it opens. Then we head to parks for a later lunch.

It's tough adjusting your thinking, but look at it as a vacation resort where you can have a relaxing vacation doing whatever you want including popping over to ride rides whenever you feel like it. And you can decide what you want to do or eat at the last minute depending on your mood at the time, not 6 months in advance.

Couldn't have said it better! :)

Awesome...thanks for your help! This is so weird since we are so used to prepping for Disney. Even though we love Disney, it will be nice not having to plan everyday.

"Enough for us to do" is a very tough question to answer for someone else. I know there are some here that can do 10-14 days at least once a year. For us (me, wife, 11 and 13 year old daughters), it is a bit too long. However, we go in to the park early and ride most of the day. We do eat at lots of different restaurants in City Walk, but we don't spend much time doing things like pool hopping to other resorts. 3-4 days in the park works out well for us.

It might help if you give some details about your party (ages, Harry Potter fans, enjoy thrill rides, etc) and what time of year you are looking to go.

"Enough for us to do" is a very tough question to answer for someone else. I know there are some here that can do 10-14 days at least once a year. For us (me, wife, 11 and 13 year old daughters), it is a bit too long. However, we go in to the park early and ride most of the day. We do eat at lots of different restaurants in City Walk, but we don't spend much time doing things like pool hopping to other resorts. 3-4 days in the park works out well for us.

It might help if you give some details about your party (ages, Harry Potter fans, enjoy thrill rides, etc) and what time of year you are looking to go.
There are 4 of us. My wife, and two sons ages 12 and 10. We love all types of rides and have season passes to our local theme park (Kings Island). We aren't huge Harry Potter fans, but have seen the movies, very big on Jurassic World though. We are looking to go at the end of May next year when the kids get out of school.

Do you like water parks? Volcano Bay is fun and I usually go more than once per trip. Seven days would be a bit long for me, but I know families who go that long. There are also movies at Citywalk and bowling at Cabana Bay.

There are 4 of us. My wife, and two sons ages 12 and 10. We love all types of rides and have season passes to our local theme park (Kings Island). We aren't huge Harry Potter fans, but have seen the movies, very big on Jurassic World though. We are looking to go at the end of May next year when the kids get out of school.
Any of the 3 premier hotels would be a great choice for you/family.
All have the perk of the free ep for the parks.

All the onsite hotel guests can use the early entry to the park

Take an afternoon break from the parks and have a late lunch at City Walk.

I have been thinking about this and 7 days is a bit long.

But, since you will be at royal pacific which is really just out of sight of the parks, and it will be hot during that time, you could do a few hours in the parks, break and do something else, pool time, volcano bay, take a drive around the area, have a nice lunch. then go back to the park for a few hours when it gets cooler. See the night stuff.

I would not even think about spending a whole day in the parks. You would not need to with express passes.

Cabana Bay has a lazy river and you are allowed to pool hop. They also have bowling.

There is a movie place in City Walk, sometimes a band and sometimes dancing.

Take your sweet time and look around all the nooks in Universal. Many interesting things to just look at or watch without the burden of having to look at your watch every two min.

I would designate one day as water ride day. Our last trip my group rode those at least 10 times each. They were all soaked to the skin but laughing. Nobody went home wishing they had rode anything one more time.

My group are seriel riders. Hulk 10 times, Kong 5 times, spiderman 5=6 times. My mom loves animal theather and MIB so we probably did those several times a day.

With 7 days, you should have a full and enjoyable time with nobody being disappointed they only got to do something once.

If you miss something one day, check it out the next.

You will have a lot of time to just sit back and relax. No need to get there at rope drop. We sometimes get lunch before we go in and with the express passes, still get to do everything we want.

If anyone gets tired, the hotel is so close by. We take gma back to the hotel for a nap in the afternoon.

I have been thinking about this and 7 days is a bit long.

But, since you will be at royal pacific which is really just out of sight of the parks, and it will be hot during that time, you could do a few hours in the parks, break and do something else, pool time, volcano bay, take a drive around the area, have a nice lunch. then go back to the park for a few hours when it gets cooler. See the night stuff.

I would not even think about spending a whole day in the parks. You would not need to with express passes.

Cabana Bay has a lazy river and you are allowed to pool hop. They also have bowling.

There is a movie place in City Walk, sometimes a band and sometimes dancing.

Take your sweet time and look around all the nooks in Universal. Many interesting things to just look at or watch without the burden of having to look at your watch every two min.

I would designate one day as water ride day. Our last trip my group rode those at least 10 times each. They were all soaked to the skin but laughing. Nobody went home wishing they had rode anything one more time.

My group are seriel riders. Hulk 10 times, Kong 5 times, spiderman 5=6 times. My mom loves animal theather and MIB so we probably did those several times a day.

With 7 days, you should have a full and enjoyable time with nobody being disappointed they only got to do something once.

If you miss something one day, check it out the next.

You will have a lot of time to just sit back and relax. No need to get there at rope drop. We sometimes get lunch before we go in and with the express passes, still get to do everything we want.

If anyone gets tired, the hotel is so close by. We take gma back to the hotel for a nap in the afternoon.

Thank you for all the info. I don't think we would do parks all day like you said. When we go to Disney we either usually sleep in and go to the parks late or we go early and come back to the hotel in the afternoon.

If I stay longer at Universal, I usually plan to take advantage of the free shuttle to Sea World and Busch Gardens and visit at least one of these parks for the coasters.

Good to know about the shuttles. I wasn't aware they had these for SW and BG. Since we love coasters BG might be a good option.

Good to know about the shuttles. I wasn't aware they had these for SW and BG. Since we love coasters BG might be a good option.
Both leave from the City Walk, and you have to make a reservation prior, but do it the night before and you are good. If I remember it correctly you can also get a direct shuttle from the premium resorts at Universal to Seaworld. At least last time as I stayed at Royal Pacific I took a direct bus from Seaworld on my way back.
I am also a big coaster-fan but I have to say despite Sheikra and Montu, I slightly prefer Sea World to Busch Gardens.

I love Universal, but honestly 7 days would be too many for DH and me. We do everything we want to do in the parks over 3 days, and we also sleep in and take mid-day breaks. We always have express pass as well. City Walk is great, but we experience what we want in one evening. Much smaller than Disney Springs.

Your ticker says 5 months until your next vacation, so are you traveling in January? I would normally say that you could spend the rest of your time enjoying Universal's great pools and the pool hopping privileges, as well as Volcano Bay. But in January, it may be too cold for those to be options.

Have you considered a split stay with WDW? That's what we usually do - 4-5 days at WDW, followed by 3 or so days at Universal.

We have only gone for extended weekends and I always feel like it's not long enough, 7 days would be perfect. Royal Pacific is where we always stay and being able to walk to both parks (or take the ferry) makes it really easy to go back and forth to your room throughout the day. We also really enjoyed the miniature golf at City Walk (we have a 15yo). Our most recent stay we did Uber over to Magic Kingdom for the MNSSHP so if you feel like you still want a little bit of Disney consider attending an after hours event one of your days.

Thank you for all the info. I don't think we would do parks all day like you said. When we go to Disney we either usually sleep in and go to the parks late or we go early and come back to the hotel in the afternoon.

Don't skip anything including the kiddie type rides. Esp cat in the hat and the sky high trolley. You will have plenty of time to check everything out.

7 days is nowhere near too long for a trip to Universal.

Like others, it`s not long enough for us.....but it is a perfect amount of time for what you want to do.

You will have EP, you can re ride all the stuff you want to till your hearts content......you have the freedom to sleep late and wander over whenever you feel like it. It doesn't take long to walk to the parks from RP or you have the boats.

Spend some time enjoying the resort itself.....it is beautiful and very relaxing.

You have so many options.…...Citywalk has mini golf which has two fun courses if your kids would enjoy that too. Plus all the restaurants you could ever want to choose from. There is plenty for kids to do and at night they have kids entertainment on some nights.....always looks like lots of fun.

May is a beautiful time to visit, and with your ideas of going to BG for a day...…. 7 days sounds about perfect......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter