7-day trip without checking a bag???

Absolutely do-able I think. Plus your personal item can be a backpack as long as it fits under the seat in front of you.

My son put all clothing in the carry-on bag. He put his liquids, electronics, chargers, etc in his backpack. That way only one bag might raise questions and he could pull the liquids out of the front pocket without ever opening his carry-on.

Personally, I wouldn't want to spend any of my vacation time doing laundry and, as a PP mentioned, we seem to go through more outfits in Florida due to being hot and sweaty. I'd pay the $25 to check one bag and bring carryons as well. Between the carryons and one suitcase, you should be able to bring enough stuff so that you won't need to do laundry at all.

I've now made 2 4-day trips to Disney/Universal with only a personal item. Being cheap and flying Spirit forces me to be creative. No doing laundry either!

I found this video on youtube that I used and was able to get a lot in my carryon.

DD (12) and I did 10 days in Europe in just carry-ons. One backpack each, with just a small purse each otherwise (our flight from Paris to Rome only allowed one in cabin bag, so the purse had to fit in the backpack). We did laundry on day 5.

You can easily do this for domestic travel. It becomes an issue if you are traveling internationally on an international carrier. Many have strict weight limits for carry on luggage and they enforce them.

of course! we never check bags anywhere now.... been to Alaska, Florida and places in between with camping/hiking/swimming/glaciers/disney parks....we've each packed what we need in a rolling carryon. trips range from 5-10 days each. Watch videos on packing,it's fun and you learn a lot- I bought cheapo packing cube type things off of ebay(7.00 per set) I love those things!

I couldn't do it. Even with packing cubes it is a struggle to fit everything into a carry on and one checked bag. But my skin is very fussy, so using the hotel provided soap and things is not an option at all. Neither would I want to spend time at a store re-buying more of what I already have at home.

I think it's doable. I used to be a complete over packer. One full size suitcase plus one carry on and one personal item per person for a week. It was too much stuff.
Nobody dies if we have to hang out in the pool while we do a few loads of laundry. In fact most of the time lately we are in a condo with a washer/dryer and just throw it in when we are hanging out. I actually don't mind a few loads of laundry on vacation.. what I can't stand is coming home with the post vacation blues and a ton of laundry to do.

Now for us I think just a carry on would be tight. We did 8 days in May with one checked bag and four carry ons for four people. We could have cut out the pool towels and floaties etc and got down to 4 carry ons though. If it was just me on that trip, I could have made one good carry on work.

My sister does it all the time. I remember thinking she was crazy until I was the one lugging a huge suitcase onto the public transportation system at the airport in Boston and walking it a few blocks to our hotel and she just had her little bag. Less is more on vacation for us these days.

Last edited:
I couldn't do it. Even with packing cubes it is a struggle to fit everything into a carry on and one checked bag. But my skin is very fussy, so using the hotel provided soap and things is not an option at all. Neither would I want to spend time at a store re-buying more of what I already have at home.
Dd's hair products are my concern. Need to see what Publix carries.

Dd's hair products are my concern. Need to see what Publix carries.

Can you buy empty travel bottles from dollar tree and fill it with the products she needs? Carry on only is so convienant. No lost luggage, no waiting at the carousel for baggage. We did it for three weeks in Italy. Next time we are just taking backpacks.

Can you buy empty travel bottles from dollar tree and fill it with the products she needs? Carry on only is so convienant. No lost luggage, no waiting at the carousel for baggage. We did it for three weeks in Italy. Next time we are just taking backpacks.
That probably will work--thanks for the idea!

My kids and I are headed to universal soon for a week (going to all three parks and hopefully hanging out at the pool) and we haven't been on a plane as a family in over a decade. Initially I thought I'd check one bag (flying jet blue) but now I'm thinking we can all take our wheeled carryons and I can do laundry once at the hotel to save a little money. Will be stopping at Publix on the way to our hotel so we can buy anything needed that isn't allowed in carry ons. Does this seem unrealistic?
Very doable. Nothing wrong with doing laundry halfway through trip. I travel a lot for work. Sometimes 2 weeks strait. I never check bags. Many hotels offer cleaning service which my company pays for. I make sure I book a hotel that offers that. Bathroom stuff is packed in the small bottles and I just use whatever the hotel offers. Tumi makes a really nice business carryon roller with courier bag

I'm trying to decide what to do about bags for our trip in 2 weeks. I'm leaning toward paying to check our one large suitcase since we'll be using Magical Express & can do resort check in on the way home. Then we'll use the kids two little suitcases & probably a backpack as our carryons.

DH and I went to WDW last month for 5 days with 1 carrier on for the both of us. We each had a backpack as well. We flew Frontier which charges for carrier on's so we were trying to get by with as little as possible. We did laundry one day while hanging by the pool.

I don't travel a lot (so maybe shouldn't be contributing? :laughing:) Don't you also get a personal item? So, technically you could bring a carry-on and a big backpack. We could definitely pack a week's worth of clothes/shoes between those two items.
Your personal item has to fit under the seat in front of you. You can't put two bags in the overhead bins.

Your personal item has to fit under the seat in front of you. You can't put two bags in the overhead bins.

Yes, I know that you can't put two bags in overhead bin, but I have been able to shove a backpack under the seat in front of me - especially a kids' size. :goodvibes

I just refill 3 oz. bottles with my own stuff from home..... easy and economical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter