• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

7-day trip without checking a bag???

havaneselover

Dreaming about a Disney cruise
My kids and I are headed to universal soon for a week (going to all three parks and hopefully hanging out at the pool) and we haven't been on a plane as a family in over a decade. Initially I thought I'd check one bag (flying jet blue) but now I'm thinking we can all take our wheeled carryons and I can do laundry once at the hotel to save a little money. Will be stopping at Publix on the way to our hotel so we can buy anything needed that isn't allowed in carry ons. Does this seem unrealistic?

Cant help it but in the US with all those check baggage fees, it forces people to do carry ons. Although not 7 days, my family and I did do a 4 day trip. we brought as much clothes as we can since we were going to Alaska... :P

We just spent three weeks in Asia using carry on. Did laundry once. I bet you can get by without laundry. 2 bathing suits, 2-3 shorts, 7 shirts per person. Keep an eye on the extras (accessories, bags, etc) and you'll be fine. Remember you can each also bring a personal item (backpack/purse).

With Jet Blue you get one free checked bag per person so how is doing laundry on vacation saving you money?

Pack at least 1 outfit each in your backpacks. That way if anything spills in one bag you'll have clothes for a day without having to do laundry the first night.

The past 3 years we have flown to my sisters in FL for 10 days and take our 2 carryons, we do laundry daily or just about. We buy our toiletries there.

We've done a 15 day trip with carry-on only, doing laundry about every 5 days.

I'm sure you can do it, especially if you are willing to do laundry. One thing I just learned after a week in Florida is that we needed two outfits per day thanks to the heat/humidity. So even with packing light you might go through clothes at a quicker rate than at home.
Have fun!

My son went to Australia for 3 weeks with a carry on and a backpack. They did laundry a couple times. A couple suggestions: 1) roll your clothes. You would be surprised at how much you can fit in a 21 inch carry on bag this way. 2) use 2.5 gallon ziplock bags for your socks/underwear. This helps avoid them being tossed around if your bag gets opened for inspection.

My kids and I are headed to universal soon for a week (going to all three parks and hopefully hanging out at the pool) and we haven't been on a plane as a family in over a decade. Initially I thought I'd check one bag (flying jet blue) but now I'm thinking we can all take our wheeled carryons and I can do laundry once at the hotel to save a little money. Will be stopping at Publix on the way to our hotel so we can buy anything needed that isn't allowed in carry ons. Does this seem unrealistic?
Very doable I've been able to pack 10 outfits plus undergarments in a carry on. Good luck

We do this each trip. There are four of us - me, DH, and 2 kids (5&7). We each have a carry-on, since I refuse to pay baggage fees. :) Works perfectly fine for us!

We can easily do a week with one carry-on each, and I hardly ever do laundry. My only problem is shoes. For park-intensive trips I prefer two pair of tennis shoes per person, plus one pair of water sandals during rainy season.

I don't travel a lot (so maybe shouldn't be contributing? :laughing:) Don't you also get a personal item? So, technically you could bring a carry-on and a big backpack. We could definitely pack a week's worth of clothes/shoes between those two items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter