6 Flags Kentucky(have free kids tickets) or Holiday World

I just read about it on MSNBC. How absolutely horrible. I've always hated that park. Apparently it happened on a "drop" ride that malfunctioned.

That poor girl. My heart goes out to her and her family.

I heard that at work tonite. I just keep thinking how many times my kids have gone on that ride. Gives me goose bumps.Wish that family the best.:guilty:

It's Holiday World for me also. I have been to Kentucky Kingdom once, and the only reason that I went then it was for a work picnic/ get together. I would never go back even if I got in free again. To many little "punks" walking around with their pants half off. I also say lot of women ( and yes I don't mind seeing them in bathing suits) walking around in them :scared1: riding rides and it wasn't a pretty site. You won't see that at Holiday World. When you leave the swimming area you have to have all your clothes on over your bathing suit.

Hey, I walked around KK in my swimsuit top (it was a tankini, nothing shocking) because someone stole our backpack. We paid an enormous price for a small locker, because they didn't have any big ones, ooo, I was steamed. Thugs stole my shirt and my BRA!! EWWWW. Anything really valuable was crammed in the small locker and we just left the backpack by the Lazy River. GRRRR.

Holiday World, OTOH, is awesome! Apparently, it is consistently voted cleanest park and the park with the friendliest employees. I believe it! And they had such good food. Seriously, we sat down, had lunch, threw away our trash and immediately an employee was washing our table. We didn't leave a mess, but they got rid of any crumbs that may have been there. My dd is wanting to go back and ride their new coaster. Hopefully, next summer!

It's a 6 hour drive for us, at least, but worth it!!

Also, we got the Pepsi can discount. AND, admission is based on height. DS was right at the cut-off (I think it was 54 inches) and they let him in at the lower price. He was still tall enough to ride all of the rides.

Definitely one of the nicer parks we've been to. Just don't expect it to be WDW and you'll love it too!

I just heard on the radio that a young girl had her feet severed while on a ride at Six Flags KK!:eek: I think they said it was the Superman (or maybe he said Spiderman) ride. It's been years since I've been there so I'm not familiar with it. Poor girl!:sad1:

State is inspecting ride that severed girl’s feet
The Courier-Journal

State inspectors from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture’s Office of Consumer and Environmental Protection are at the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom amusement park, trying to determine what caused the accident that amputated a 13-year-old girl’s feet above the ankles yesterday.

Carolyn McLean, a Six Flags spokeswoman, said state inspectors are working alongside the park’s own team of experts to try to figure out what happened. She said no specific information was available this morning.

No information on the girl’s condition or her name has been released. McLean said the park is respecting the family’s privacy and not releasing any details.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070622/ZONE06/70622013/

Prayers for the poor little girl and her family.

I have personal knowledge of the 95 accident, which was quite severe, but assumed that things had improved there since then in terms of safety. I shudder to think that I let my kids go to SFKK just last month. They may not know it, but that was their last trip there.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070622/ZONE06/70622013/

I have personal knowledge of the 95 accident, which was quite severe, but assumed that things had improved there since then in terms of safety. I shudder to think that I let my kids go to SFKK just last month. They may not know it, but that was their last trip there.

What was the accident in '95? Was it when the people were stuck in the roller coaster (the Vampire I think it was?)?

I keep putting off taking DD5 to KK. I always feel grimy after a day there. I think we'll work in a trip to Holiday World this summer.

Looking at this article, it looks like I had the date confused--it was '94. From the article (which discusses the accident in the context of defamation law):

On a July day in 1994, a roller coaster operator at Kentucky's largest amusement park was horrified to see that two cars filled with people were hurtling down the same stretch of track – something that should never happen. He hit the emergency brake. But it was too late. The second car slammed into the first, and a seven-year-old girl's liver was lacerated.

Like the park or don't, but many parks have had horrible incidents occur over the years. Kings Island in OH has had riders die on rides and I'm sure your familiar wiith incidents at Mission Space.

I feel terrible for the girl and I'm sure 24 hours she never expected to be where she is now, but accidents happen.

Like the park or don't, but many parks have had horrible incidents occur over the years. Kings Island in OH has had riders die on rides and I'm sure your familiar wiith incidents at Mission Space.

I feel terrible for the girl and I'm sure 24 hours she never expected to be where she is now, but accidents happen.

You are correct, accidents do happen. You never know where or when they are going to happen. But the mission space incident was not due to a ride defect.

Accidents do happen, but cables show wear before they break. It seems to me like maintenance might not have been a high enough priority...

The kids participated in the St. Judes mathathon and received free tickets to any 6 Flags park plus an additional coupon for $8 off adult tickets.

Problem is I haven't seen any good reviews for the park.

We are going to be heading to KY on vacation and will be spending 6 days in Louisville and I would like to take them to one theme park. I have a DD 10 who likes roller coasters but will probably not ride too many as dad is not able to come on this part of the trip and I don't do roller coasters. DS 9, does not like wild rides. Both like water parks.

As this is a budget board, should I take the cheaper option and go to 6 flags or splash out for a visit to Holiday World. Which is the nicer park? We have a WDW trip planned in Sept. so trying to budget our summer vacation.

We are also planning to visit: Slugger museum, downtown waterfront, science museum, flea market on Saturday, boat trip on the river and Churchill Downs. I wanted to see Lion King but cannot believe the cost of tickets.

Does anyone know where kids eat free in Louisville?

Is 6 days too long?:idea:

Should I plan on visiting other parts of Kentucky/Indiana/Ohio?

DH is joining us after the 1st week and we will be camping in COE parks near Bowling Green and Lake Cumberland.

Planning on pricelining the hotel. Hoping for the Hyatt Place or the Hyatt downtown.

Thanks for helping!:thumbsup2

Angie

Visit Holiday World. You will be amazed at how clean the park is and how family friendly it is. The water park is wonderful. You also get free drinks and sunscreen. There is no fee for parking. Children under 3 are free. Ther are lots of things for the whole family. Great coasters and family rides as well.

The food is also very reasonable with a great variety.

The kids will be fine at Kentucky Kingdom/Six Flags - we used to go there a lot since we are local but I must say the lines are long, there are lots of teenagers and keep an eye on the kids in hurricane bay - so many people it's easy to get tumped over and pushed under.

I have been to Holiday World and it is a better location for smaller children and cheaper on the drinks.

Check out this website for Free kids food:

louisville.parentzone.com and search for free kids meals in Louisville

I hate to be the stinker in the group, but my children enjoyed KK when we lived near there. We had season passes and went often. Everyone is right when they say the concessions are expensive. We were so close by that we would eat lunch before we went and then again after we left. If you have tickets that are free, you could go early, right whatever bigger rides you wanted, then get out before the lines get long and the crowds show up. We'd often be there when the gates opened, do what we really liked and then left before the heat got us. For a free activity, what the heck....
As far as other activities in the area....
There is the Patton Museum at Ft Knox---not far from Louisville if your kids are into that sort of thing.
The Corvett Museum in Bowling Green---where then make the vehicles.
Guntown Mountain in Cave City---it has a chair lift, and an "old western town" complete with gunfight and can-can girls. Kinda cheesy but cute.
Wigwam Village is there in Cave City near Mammoth Cave---it's hotels that look like teepees. I know you have other accommodations, but it might be worth checking into for a night if you have time free.
Newport Acquarium in Newport, KY (close to Cincinnati) is a wonderful choice.
The Kentucky Derby Museum--the Derby is one of KY's biggest claims to fame.
I'm originally from KY (Louisville then Elizabethtown). I miss it terribly. It's a lovely place, I hope you enjoy.

Count me as another vote for Holiday World. It's a 4 hour drive for us, and we've gone at least once a year for the last 6 years. Last year, we got season passes and went 3 times. I agree with everything others have said - super clean, super friendly, free soft drinks (if only it was Coke instead of Pepsi :) ), free sunscreen (in both the water park and the dry park this year), free parking and even a tram to bring you in from the parking lot.

Food is reasonably priced and good! We especially like the pizza, the corn on the cob (soaked in butter), the fries and the supreme nachos. (DH and I split the nachos and it's plenty for both of us.)

We've even had to visit the first aid center a couple of times (nothing serious) and they were very helpful.

I don't ride any of the rides on the dry side but there are plenty of benches where I can sit and read. There are also plenty of chairs in the water park. Sit near the kids play area and you walk through the misters on your way to get a (free) drink refill.

I've heard comments that some people think they are almost too safety conscious, as they won't let you bring any bags or even hats on the roller coasters but I say better safe than sorry.

We always have a wonderful time and our only hesitation in recommending it is that we don't want it get more crowded!

lots of us (Kentuckians) on the board, more than I realized. We ought to have a Dismeet sometime, maybe at Lynn's or in Glendale at the Whistle Stop. But not the second week of Sept. I'll be eatin' free at the World.

lots of us (Kentuckians) on the board, more than I realized. We ought to have a Dismeet sometime, maybe at Lynn's or in Glendale at the Whistle Stop. But not the second week of Sept. I'll be eatin' free at the World.

ooooh. The Whistle Stop. How I love their pie.... :love:

Madge, I've been in Spanish Fort, AL (just outside of Mobile) almost 3 yrs. My family is still in Elizabethtown, and my husbands family is in Leitchfield. So, we go home a few times each year. I cry every year when the Derby comes on. Alabama has it's advantages too, but there's no place like home! :)

I have a bit of a different perspective.
We recently moved here (Louisville) from Southern IN, where we were only 45 minutes or so from Holiday World. We made the trip to Louisville every year to go to Kentucky Kingdom, because, they have so many more rides and a GREAT water park.
Holiday World is ok IF; your children are small, and/or you want to spend most of your time in the water park. It's a bit hokey, but it is clean, and you do get free drinks, although if it's a hot day, you're probably going to be drinking water most of the day anyway...
I would at least go to KK one day if I had free tickets. If your kids are older than 8, they will probably prefer it.
But, if you do go to HW, make sure to get a blue ice cream cone. They're delicious!!
Have a wonderful time in Louisville!
And yes, I'd love to meet up with other DISers!
P.S. The zoo is lovely in Louisville. I'm thinking of going there today!

I know the season is just about over but I just happened upon this thread. Can I just add that if I had to choose ANY park in the USA to go to other then WDW, it would be HOLIDAY WORLD. I have experienced this park and LOVE IT!!!!

It is the cleaniest and friendliest park on the entire planet and can rival my beloved MOUSE any day. Yes I love my mouse and so much so I bought ownership of the Magic. But if Holiday World had a timeshare program, you can bet I would be the first in line to buy!!

Yep I love this park!!! And their wonderful owners. I don't see Iger greeting guests everyday, but the sight of Mrs. Koch on a Summer's morning smiling and saying Hi, that makes a day at Holiday World just that much more magical!!

KK no way!! Holiday World would be my choice hands down!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter