51.8 pounds of change

Not to burst your bubble but did you check with your bank before bringing all that loose change?? I work at a bank and it has to be wrapped or we can't accept it.

My guess is around $980.00!!

Ditto on this! Customers will often bring loads of change to our bank and becomes a service issue because our teller cannot accept loose coin in mass amounts. If it will equal a roll then it needs to be rolled. Some banks, but not many have coin counting machines. They will charge a fee and break down often. And what ever you do please arrive well before closing. We had a guy come in with a backpack full of rolled coin 10min before closing...the tellers were a little ticked because everyone had to stay an hour after close on a Saturday to verify it all.

I would guess you have between $750 and $850! (Last I had 2 huge coffee cans it amounted to around $250. That will hopefully pay for tix and some extra treats for your vacation!

I am always surprised to hear that a bank wants the change rolled. Seems to me it would be very easy for a dishonest person to short a roll of change a couple of coins.

There are machines at that bank that weigh each roll to prevent scammers.

I have a container that I bought jelly beans in at WDW. I call it the Disney Bucket and have gotten my dc to put a bit of change in it and dh put in maybe a dollar.:confused3

But, it adds up, doesn't it?

We were able to treat some friends to Chef Mickey's (mainly with Disney
Reward Dollars) and it was SO MUCH FUN! Our plan is to someday treat my brother's Pooh-fan kids to the Crystal Palace. We'll see.

Mine takes it loose or rolled. Businesses buy the rolled coins, so maybe they just resell immediately what is turned in. I don't know; it might have to be unrolled, sent in bags to the fed, rerolled, returned to the bank then sold to the business. No wonder they charge!

Our bank requires a business agreement with the bank to bring in bags of coins. I am not a teller so I don't quite remember the amounts, but they coins need to separated and counted. I recall something like $2000 for quarter bags,etc. It would take a long time for the average Joe to come up with this much change. Ours usually comes from car washes and laundry mats. They get sent out once a week and the fed sets the minimum amounts we can send in. Banks do not rebag coins to meet the minimum. If the fed tells us the bag was short, it gets charged back to your account. (the bags have serial numbers tracked back to your deposit.)

If you have a Commerce Bank nearby they are the best! They have a penny arcade and you just dump your change in and out pops a ticket to get your cash. You don't even have to have an account, and they do not charge anything. Grammy

That is a sweet and rare deal Commerce has going on!!!

The penny depot at commerce is great. We collect change for all our trips. It pays for our dining and tickets.
Don't trust the Coinstar machines in the grocery stores. One of the news channels did a story about these machines and none of them counted the change correctly!

Our savings & loan will not take any rolled coin. It had to be loose and they just put it thru their machine that divides it into bags. There was no charge because we are a customer with them.

My credit union takes them rolled, but with my acct# on the roll. That way if it's short, they debit my account. I won't do Coinstar because they charge you 8.5% per dollar.

Thank you OP for the inspiration! We booked our trip for next September at 400 days out and have decided to see how much change we can save. I am also saving $1 per day (and hiding it from DH)....That is $400 right there!!!

I can't wait to see how much change we can save in a year!!!

Trish

We don't have any Commerce Banks in our area (Cleveland, OH). Does anyone know of any banks in the area that you can take your loose change to?

In NJ (monmouth and oceany county) there is Manasquan Savings Banks and they have several branches with the same free penny arcade : ) Its great! The kids love it so it gives them a good incentive to save the change, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter