5 in our family ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought into DVC at WDW the first week in Feb 2002. We are a family of 5. When trying to decide the size of the accomodations we would need, our DVC rep told us that while the studio and 1 bdrm sleep 4, you are allowed to have 5 in either of them as long as the 5th person is a child, and you will need to bring an air mattress or sleeping bag because they don't have cots. Now, I have no desire to put the 5 of us in a studio (wow-cramped), but we will be fine in a 1 bdrm.

:pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc

This March will probably be our last 1-bedroom trip with 5. Our children are 9, 5, & 3. Even though the 9 year old does not mind sleeping with the others now, I doubt it will last. We just added on for the reason of expanding to a 2-bedroom.

It seems I have spoiled my DW and she likes the idea of putting the kids to bed in their own room and having the use of the living room. And to think we started at HH in a studio when the smallest was just a baby and we said to ourselfs "wow, look at all this room, and it even has a microwave!":)

Originally posted by dkfogt
our DVC rep told us that while the studio and 1 bdrm sleep 4, you are allowed to have 5 in either of them as long as the 5th person is a child, and you will need to bring an air mattress or sleeping bag because they don't have cots.
I don't have strong feelings on this subject for "reasonable" excursions off the rules path. Ignoring enforcement, the official line is 4 plus a crib child under 3. I really am not sure the main reasons for the occupancy limit. Whether it's resort experience, fire issues, bedding, wear and tear, more money, parking; I don't really know or frankly care. The issue is that's what the limits are, at least for someone about to buy in. I realize that DVC is slack about enforcement at this time and that the guides and at times resorts and MS have given a lot of flexibility. Those issues are irrelevant as well, fancy a timeshare salesperson stretching the truth a little. Do not count on using the line "but the DVC guide said", it will have NO meaning after you sign the paper.

Most timeshare are very firm on occupancy limits and will ask you to get to the limit or leave. Others will charge you extra, usually around $10 per person per day. I have a friend that stayed at Port o Call on HH in a 3 BR and they had to sign a paper that said if they were over the limit (I think it was 12) they would be asked to leave. If they did not within a certain amount of time (I think it was 2 hours) they would have to pay $200 and so on. This issue also applies to exchanges in that if one exchanges, count on the occupancy limits being strictly enforced. Some units, esp studios, may sleep 4 but only say 2 on the exchange. Once again a place to do your homework, especially when exchanges are concerned.

It is amazing that you can put five in a studio+ at BWV, but only four in a one bedroom. I agree with the original poster, it doesn't make sense.

I started this topic almost two years ago. It's one that will always be split and both sides are very passionate about their opinions. Do what you know is right and enjoy you membership in DVC. We joined in October of 2000 and have been home five times since, with two trips planned later this year. We love it!

Have a Disney day!

:D :D :D

Originally posted by kid@heart
It is amazing that you can put five in a studio+ at BWV, but only four in a one bedroom.

Wow! I just keep learning more and more each day by reading these boards. What is a Studio +? I saw the term before but paid no attention to it. We bought in at VWL and perhaps there is no Studio + there because our guide never mentioned a Studio +. So, again, what is a Studio + and which resorts have these Studio + rooms?

Thanks.

Jeanette,

Only BWV has a studio plus. They have an extra day bed (small, for a child). Like any other room request, they are NOT guaranteed.

BWV has a studio+ room which is a regular studio with a day bed. You can sleep two in the bed, two in the fold out sofa, and one on the day bed. The day bed probably wouldn't work for kids over say ten. We have three kids (15, 8, 5) and it works great. We don't mind the smaller accomodations because we are rarely in the room except to sleep. When we're on vacation we don't cook so a kitchen isn't needed. We might make sandwiches or microwave something. So you can have five in the room without breaking the rules and making other members mad. We have 500 points, we just prefer to go more often instead of blowing it on larger rooms. Have fun!

We are a family of 4 and alway did the 1 bedroom but after we tried the 2 bedroom, we're completely spoiled, it was great having the living room to relax in and watch TV and not have to worry about waking the kids. Plus the 2 bathrooms is well worth the extra points alone ( heck they should have even made the 1 bedrooms with a half bath in the first place, the one bedroom suite we stayed in at Hotel New york in Disneyland Paris has one and a half baths .

I understand the problem families of 5 have, if you feel so strongly about the need for a unit that has 2 queens in the bedroom, then go to an annual meeting and force a question, but that then brings the unit up to 6 people sleeping capability.

"And many more are comfortable living responsibly and actually follow the rules that they agreed to.

I just always winder about how the parent justifies cheating the room limits to their children."

And once again Rich I will point out that if DVC allows it then your gripe should be with DVC. Calling people cheats for doing what DVC and MS allows is wrong IMHO.

As for the sleeping on the floor comment that is uncalled for as well. If we were to use a 1 BR for a trip, my son would probably sleep on the floor since he hates being in a bed with his sister. I'm sure that there are many people with 4 in a 1 BR that have one of the occupants sleeping on the floor for this exact reason.

And once again Rich I will point out that if DVC allows it then your gripe should be with DVC. Calling people cheats for doing what DVC and MS allows is wrong IMHO.

Just because something that is wrong cannot be totally enforced does not then make it OK. If someone breaks into my house, and the police can't catch them, should my gripe then be with the police? Or does it belong toward the perpertrator?

Should I not call someone driving 65 mph in a 55mph zone a speeder just because the police didn't stop him/her?

If someone lies on their income tax and claims something they shouldn't (such as excess charitable contributions...the number one fudged item per the IRS), should I not call them a cheater because the IRS doesn't go after them?

If someone receives the incorrect change at a retail establishment, knows it, and takes the money anyway, are they not a thief?

Breaking the rules, any rules, is still wrong. If you don't like the rule, try to get it changed. But to simply condone it as alright is wrong. Unfortunately this sends a message to all our children everyday, that you can ignore the rules as long as you don't get caught.

Cheating is cheating, like it or not. I don't understand why so many people think cheating is OK as long as you don't get caught.

And now you're saying it's even improper to call them cheaters?

Just how many people would have to be in the room before you would call them cheating? 6? 8? 10? If someone put a dozen people in a studio, and DVC didn't kick them out, then does that mean they're not cheating and it's OK for everyone else to do that because DVC allowed it?

The solution is simple. Either follow the rules, or petition to get them changed. To call someone else wrong for pointing out that cheating is cheating, is to me totally backwards. IMHO

Bill, I am not talking about people who sneak in 5 I am talking about someone who calls MS and tells them that there will be 5 in a room and they are allowed to do it. MS accepts the reservation. In that case why are these people cheats?

This does happen a lot. Do a poll, on the whole I think that you'll find that MS accepts these reservations with little or no problem. If that is the case then why call someone a cheater for doing what they have been given permission to do?

As always, this topic has drifted to it's usual debate and thus will have to be continued in one of the threads already ongoing there.

Here is a link to a similar <a href="http://198.65.131.237/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53589&perpage=15&highlight=occupancy&pagenumber=7">DIScussion</a> of the last few months.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter