4/7 upgrading ticket

normmo

DIS Veteran
Hi - not sure if this is the right forum but since this falls under the four for seven deal I thought I'd try. We are currently booked for the 4/7 deal with one day base tickets. I am the only one out of four who needs to upgrade my ticket (the others bought their's prior to ticket prices going up). Here is my question - is the price to upgrade to a seven day park hopper with fun options the actual cost of that ticket minus the cost of a one day base ticket? Or because of the 4/7 deal would it cost me the price of a four day ticket minus the base?
Thanks!
Mo

In order to upgrade, you’d take whatever ticket you have, use it (just a good habit; it brings it up to full gate value of that ticket) walk over to guest relations and tell them you’d like to upgrade to whatever ticket you want. They will deduct from the cost of the ticket you are getting, the full gate value of the ticket you are holding in your hand—regardless of what you paid for it. You are never required to upgrade to any certain ticket, even under the 4/3 deal.

Thanks for the answer however I still have a few questions - although I may not be required to, I do need to upgrade since I don't have any other ticket. Since it is only a one day ticket, should I upgrade before using it? With the 4/7 deal will it cost me the difference between a four or seven day ticket to upgrade to seven. I love getting deals but I must admit that it does make my head hurt!

Since it is only a one day ticket, should I upgrade before using it?

I was wondering this myself as we are booked under the 4/3 deal with one day base tickets and are thinking of upgrading to APs once we're there.....but I've read conflicting things as to whether or not to use the one day base ticket before upgrading :confused3.

The 4/3 deal is "pay for 4 get 7", not "pay for 1 get 4". There's a difference of only $9.50 between the cost of a 4-day pass and a 7-day pass. The difference between a 1-day and a 4-day is closer to $153!

Since you are only paying for a 1-day pass as a part of your package, I think that you'll have to pay the difference between a 1-day pass and the ticket that you want to upgrade to.

I always tell people to use their ticket before upgrading it. It does not matter what ticket it is. Irrelevant. A ticket can be fully used and still be upgradeable, provided it is within 14 days of first use, so being a one-day ticket doesn't matter.

Using a ticket brings it up to full gate value. An unused ticket will only be worth what Disney sold it for. Many people buy tickets from discount brokers, so if they don't use the ticket first, they'll get less than what they paid for it credited to the upgrade. They get what the broker paid for it. If you buy a ticket before a price increase (or just book the package before a ticket price increases), you are getting less than gate value if you don't use the ticket first. Under the 4/3 deal, anyone who buy a 5+ day ticket is also getting a discount. Just use the ticket; make it a habit so you never get less than full gate value.

As for cost, aka-mad4themouse has answered it perfectly so I won't repeat.

I always tell people to use their ticket before upgrading it. It does not matter what ticket it is. Irrelevant. A ticket can be fully used and still be upgradeable, provided it is within 14 days of first use, so being a one-day ticket doesn't matter.

Using a ticket brings it up to full gate value. An unused ticket will only be worth what Disney sold it for. Many people buy tickets from discount brokers, so if they don't use the ticket first, they'll get less than what they paid for it credited to the upgrade. They get what the broker paid for it. If you buy a ticket before a price increase (or just book the package before a ticket price increases), you are getting less than gate value if you don't use the ticket first. Under the 4/3 deal, anyone who buy a 5+ day ticket is also getting a discount. Just use the ticket; make it a habit so you never get less than full gate value.

As for cost, aka-mad4themouse has answered it perfectly so I won't repeat.

So if I have a one day base ticket from a Sept '07 free dining trip (we had tickets from previous trips that we used).....I enter a park with it.......then go to upgrade it, I will get the current gate price toward my upgrade???? And if I don't use it first, I will get what I paid for it in Sept '07????? Since we are booked for the 4/3 deal in June with one day base tickets, does it make sense to use the one day base tickets we have from our previous trip or the ones booked with our June trip.....or does it matter :confused3? Either way I've still got a one day base ticket left over once our June trip is done.

So if I have a one day base ticket from a Sept '07 free dining trip (we had tickets from previous trips that we used).....I enter a park with it.......then go to upgrade it, I will get the current gate price toward my upgrade???? And if I don't use it first, I will get what I paid for it in Sept '07????? Since we are booked for the 4/3 deal in June with one day base tickets, does it make sense to use the one day base tickets we have from our previous trip or the ones booked with our June trip.....or does it matter :confused3? Either way I've still got a one day base ticket left over once our June trip is done.

Doesn't really matter because either way you'll get ~$75 towards whatever ticket you are upgrading to and will still have a ticket left over. Your June '07 ticket will be worth whatever gate value is when you upgrade it. If you wait and use your 4/3 ticket, it will be worth whatever gate value is when you upgrade. In the end, it works out the same.

However, if you need tickets, why aren't you booked with the ticket you need under the 4/3 deal? Just being nosey; none of my business. You said you were thinking of upgrading to APs. Have you read the Is there an AP discount for late June thread? It's way off topic and right on with how to get the best deal under the 4/3 plan to upgrade to APs.

Doesn't really matter because either way you'll get ~$75 towards whatever ticket you are upgrading to and will still have a ticket left over. Your June '07 ticket will be worth whatever gate value is when you upgrade it. If you wait and use your 4/3 ticket, it will be worth whatever gate value is when you upgrade. In the end, it works out the same.

However, if you need tickets, why aren't you booked with the ticket you need under the 4/3 deal? Just being nosey; none of my business. You said you were thinking of upgrading to APs. Have you read the Is there an AP discount for late June thread? It's way off topic and right on with how to get the best deal under the 4/3 plan to upgrade to APs.

That's what I figured....that it would all come out the same in the end....thanks :goodvibes. I just booked the deal with one day base tickets because we considered getting APs since we want to go back in December and then again in June 2010 ;). So I figured APs were the way to go :confused3. But there's always a chance we may not make it back in December........so we're trying to decide just how many days we'll spend at the parks in June. If only 2 or 3 days will be spent in the parks in June, the 7 day hopper/no expire is something I'm considering since I'd be saving money by paying the no expire on 4 days rather than 7....but still have days left for another trip :scratchin.

One more question I do have (if you don't mind).....does the 3 days free on the tickets go with ANY ticket you get...or just buying the 4 day and getting 7??? If I were to get the 10 day hopper, no expire.....would I pay for the 7 day and get 10 (therefore paying the no expire on 7 days rather than 10)???

One more question I do have (if you don't mind).....does the 3 days free on the tickets go with ANY ticket you get...or just buying the 4 day and getting 7??? If I were to get the 10 day hopper, no expire.....would I pay for the 7 day and get 10 (therefore paying the no expire on 7 days rather than 10)???
If you get any pass with 4 or more days on it, then you get 3 free days. I had 8-day base passes when I did the 4/3 earlier this month and I paid $3 more for each of them than if I'd just gotten the 7-day base pass. I basically paid for a 5-day pass and got 8 days.

If you get any pass with 4 or more days on it, then you get 3 free days. I had 8-day base passes when I did the 4/3 earlier this month and I paid $3 more for each of them than if I'd just gotten the 7-day base pass. I basically paid for a 5-day pass and got 8 days.

This is exactly what I wanted to know.....thanks :goodvibes.

I don't think that you can upgrade the one day base ticket to a 7 day ticket at the gate and only be charged for 4 days. Guest relations wouldn't necessarily know you were part of a 4/3 deal.

I think if you buy a 7 day ticket as part of your package, you pay the 4 day rate. Once you use that ticket, you would get credit for the price of the entire 7 day ticket toward an upgrade (ie: to an AP) but not the other way around. That is why they make everyone in a package get the same ticket.

Anyone know?

First, thought I'd start with my questions: we too have a 1 day MYW just to qualify as a package, but are buying the military promotion tickets. Can I apply the MYW ticket to the value of the purchase of the military promo ticket if I buy it at the gate? & if not, what the heck do I do with our 3 1 day MYW tickets? We have tickets already. Can I apply the adult ticket to a child's ticket for my son when he turns 3 if it's never been used & so locked to me, or is that against the rules?

If you bought the basic 1 day ticket, you likely paid full gate price for the ticket, so you shouldn't have to use it first. But, what if you didn't? Be superstitious, use it first, then upgrade during a break later in the day! :)

On the 4+3, I got a tad obsessed! Basically the "+3 free" promotion doesn't save you anything on tickets unless you add the "No Expire" option in the package. Whether you do 4+3=7 or 5+3=8... 7+3=10, you'll only save ~$10. However, the "3 free" also applies to the "No Expire" option when you book it in the package. That's where you can save $$$.

What you DON'T want to do is book "+3" tickets in the package & then add the "No Expire" at the gate.

Ex:
The current gate price for a 7 day MYW NE is: $367.58.
The current gate price for a 10 day MYW NE is: $479.25.
So through the package you'll pay $367.58 for 7 days, get 10, & save $111.

Once you use 10 day ticket once, you lock in the extra $111.67 in value.
An adult first time AP is $499.49, or $20 more than the ticket.
So you can (at least in theory) use the promo to upgrade to an AP for a total of $387.58, or 22% off the regular price. All while complying with the rules.

I don't think that you can upgrade the one day base ticket to a 7 day ticket at the gate and only be charged for 4 days. Guest relations wouldn't necessarily know you were part of a 4/3 deal.

I think if you buy a 7 day ticket as part of your package, you pay the 4 day rate. Once you use that ticket, you would get credit for the price of the entire 7 day ticket toward an upgrade (ie: to an AP) but not the other way around. That is why they make everyone in a package get the same ticket.

Anyone know?

This is correct.....the 7 day ticket for the 4 day price has to be purchased in your 4/3 package prior to arrival. If the one day base is bought with the 4/3 deal and was upgraded once there, the price charged would be the full gate price of the 7 day ticket. We were thinking of upgrading our one day base tickets to APs after we arrive........but now that I know I can buy a 10 day hopper/no expire for the 7 day hopper/no expire price in my package, that may be the way to go for us since we are planning to go back in June 2010, but are not 100% sure we will be able to make another trip this December to get 3 trips out of the APs.

Can I apply the MYW ticket to the value of the purchase of the military promo ticket if I buy it at the gate? & if not, what the heck do I do with our 3 1 day MYW tickets? We have tickets already. Can I apply the adult ticket to a child's ticket for my son when he turns 3 if it's never been used & so locked to me, or is that against the rules?
If the MYW ticket is less than the military promo ticket, I would *think* you should be able to apply it. There is a sticky on the theme park board on Everything you want to know about tickets (sorry no link right now, I’ll try to add it later) that addresses the military promo at the end.

No ticket is locked to you until used. Unused tickets are completely transferable. Again, I’m not 100% sure on applying an adult ticket to a child’s ticket, but under Disney’s rules it should be OK as long as the child’s ticket costs more than the ticket you are upgrading.

This thread is so informative but I do have a question. I am going to upgrade a 10 day MYW with no exp to an AP in June. Now I know after reading the previous information, that you should use your ticket first and then go to guest relations to make the upgrade to the AP. Here's my question, can I use my 10 day MYW no exp ticket for a few days than go to guest relations to upgrade? The reason I ask this is that I know that the AP is good for 1 year from the day of purchasing or in this case upgrading. The later I can upgrade it, the easier it is for me to book another vacation for next year and take advantage of the savings.

Thanks in advance!

This thread is so informative but I do have a question. I am going to upgrade a 10 day MYW with no exp to an AP in June. Now I know after reading the previous information, that you should use your ticket first and then go to guest relations to make the upgrade to the AP. Here's my question, can I use my 10 day MYW no exp ticket for a few days than go to guest relations to upgrade? The reason I ask this is that I know that the AP is good for 1 year from the day of purchasing or in this case upgrading. The later I can upgrade it, the easier it is for me to book another vacation for next year and take advantage of the savings.

Thanks in advance!

You may upgrade your ticket anytime within 14 days of first use. However, you will miss out on AP discounts at stores, restaurants (including, but not limited to the purchase of a Tables in Wonderland card), etc. But more importantly, your idea of waiting to upgrade to have a later anniversary date is null and void. Any ticket upgraded into an AP will have an Anniversary date equal to that of the day the original ticket was first used. For example: The first day you use the ticket is June 5, 2009. You upgrade to an AP on June 10, 2009. Your AP will expire on June 5, 2010. Well, June 6, 2010 since you get 366 days on your AP--365 if leap year.

There is a sticky on the theme park board on Everything you want to know about tickets (sorry no link right now, I’ll try to add it later) that addresses the military promo at the end.

Thanks! I know the sticky! Last time I checked military promo wasn't included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter