3?'s Cozumel, GC & Key West

mattmommy

Mouseketeer<br><font color=green>My DS loves rice.
I'm reaching the 90 days out point this weekend. I'll be making the ressies for Cozumel. If we are rerouted to Costa Maya will I receive an e-mail/call letting me know of the cancellation?

Grand Cayman--The Island Tour and Snorkeling w/stingrays. Do you get a chance to swim on 7 mile beach or just see it as you drive by? It seems to be a short tour to allow swimming for a bit.

Key West--the spot that reads "lowest point in the Continental U.S." (or something like that. Is it near the boat? None of the tours really grab us and that would be the only thing we'd be interested in. We're such tourists.

Happy Day!

I can't help you with the Cozumel/Costa Maya question. We'll be in the same situation in September unless the Magic starts to go back to Coz regularly.

Grand Cayman: On the Island Tour/Snorkeling with Stingrays excursion, you won't stop at 7-mile beach at all. You might drive past it en route to the other stops on the tour but we didn't go to 7-mile beach. The Stingray part of the tour is AWESOME, though. When we go back in September, I'm going to skip the Island Tour and just hang with the Stingrays.

Key West: The Southernmost Point of the U.S. is a pretty good hike from the dock. You can also book the Bone Shuttle independently when you get there. The Southernmost Point is one of the stops if I have my info right. That is our plan when we visit again.

Have fun!
Lisabell

With Cozumel it is just unknown what is going to happen and when they will be returning. If you select an excursion through DCL (if it even allows one to be selected) and they do not go that will be canceled automatically for you.
I know they are making the decisions on this every couple of weeks and the dock condition and the tendering issue are some of the biggest concerns right now.

I can't answer your question about Grand Cayman as I have not done that excursion.

I can answer your question about the Southernmost Point in the Continental US. You will need to either take a trolley to that or make a LONG (and I mean LONG) walk down Whitehead Street (I think that was the street) to get there. I suggest taking the Trolley. It is not near the boat and is on the other end of the island (and the island is fairly small.) You can also rent a cart or scooter.

Sue Ellen

They have not been making this decision at the 90 day mark for the cruises so far this year,as Sue Ellen says. It seems to come a week or so before a cruise when they announce the next 2 being switched to CM. I would recommend researching both ports & having an excursion picked out in each so that when DCL does allow bookings you will be able to make your selection quickly. :)

Sue Ellen -- have you ever rented one of the electric cars in Key West? We were thinking of doing this with our two sons (10 and 7) to go to the butterfly farm and aquarium.

We made the hike down to the Southernmost Point with our 8 and 9 yr old - it's a haul, but doable, although I would recommend if you're walking, go there first before doing other things. The Hemingway House is on the way back (maybe up a block?)... just if you have kids, don't let the hike be the last thing you do or you may end up with whining on your first port day!

We were a bit confused about transportation in Key West for something affordable so we ended up just walking. We did go to Ripley's Believe it or not (the kids enjoyed it but I thought it was too much money) and then to the Del Sol store (one of my favorites) and then to Sloppy Joe's where we met a friend who lives in Key West -- then we hiked to the Southernmost Point. Next time, I'd do it in reverse... although truthfully, I won't make that hike again :) BTDT - LOL!

We were there in December and the weather was fine - I wouldn't want to make the walk in the summer though.

Thanks for all the advice. We have a large group although we all agree to split up if we wanted to do different things.

That hike to the tip is not high on my list. We have a week at WDW after this--in July heat. :cool1: Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm insane. :lmao:

DH is back in school for his MBA so we can't pull him out during the year. I have no qualms about ds5.

Kinda sad about missing 7 mile beach. We all love the beaches so much, but dh wants to do the turtle farm. Is it good or a few tanks with turtles in it?

Thanks.

Regarding Cozumel/Costa Maya:

My friend who is on the Magic right now says they were not 'notified' about the change (personally, via e-mail or the like). They just knew because the information on the DCL web site changed So there were possibly non-internet types who got on the ship and didn't know about the change.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone on the earlier Westerns got some kind of direct notification of the change or of cancelled excursions.

marcij said:
Sue Ellen -- have you ever rented one of the electric cars in Key West? We were thinking of doing this with our two sons (10 and 7) to go to the butterfly farm and aquarium.

My friend used to live in Big Pine Key (about 30 min from Key West) so we had been to Key West a number of times prior to going with DCL.
I have not personally rented those electric cars, but a couple of my friends did and enjoyed them and the ability to get around the Island to see a lot more than you can on foot. When we were visiting my friend in the keys we would park our car (which is difficult to do sometimes in Key West--VERY limited parking) and walked around (did a LOT of walking) or took the Trolley. I liked the trolley.

What we did on one of our last cruises there was start walking to the Southernmost Point. Then we got a bit tired and opted to hop on the trolley at one of the stops on the way. The trolley takes you around to a few different locations (with the ability to get off and explore for a while if you wish.)

There is a lot you can see within walking distance, but I suggest if you want to go out to the SMPoint that you take alternate transportation so you are not so darn tired (especially with children.)
Sue Ellen

I've been to Grand Cayman twice(DCL & The Norway),Cozumel twice(same ships) and own a second home in Key West-here's my opinion,for what it's worth-Grand Cayman-If you have children,they'll like the turtle farm and swimming with the stingrays.
Cozumel-go to the national park for the day-I forget the name. We grabbed our own van & negotiated a price for a round trip. It still cost about $10 a person to get in & was cheaper than the shore" xcursion",but if you wanted to go thru DCL,that's okay too. Some people are just more comfortable using "official " trips and that's fine. The water is beautiful,there's a seal show, an open air restaurant(the fruit salad in the pineapple was very good),and a botanical walk where our son(10 at the time), was thrilled with all the different lizards he saw.DH & DS brought their own snorkel gear & we brought towels from the ship..It was a very nice day.
Key West-Take a Conch(pronounced Konk) train tour to get an overview of the island OR go to the aquarium first,as it is open air and gets VERY HOT as the day goes on. The butterfly conservatory is at the other end of Duval,which is almost a mile long-it's very nice and across the street from the chicken store,where there's a chicken who plays a toy piano. The most beautiful beach is Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. There's a civil war fort there also,which you can tour.You can rent chaises and get hot dogs & soda.Bring towels & lots of sunscreen.Remember,it's the sub-tropics and only takes about 15 minutes to get a very bad burn-but there are trees & picnic tables where you can stay in the shade.If you want more info,let me know-I love sharing my love of travel!! Lori the Lab Rat

Ibouncetoo - regarding your friend on the ship---did they go to cozumel?

lorilabrat or anyone - Between grand cayman and cozumel--we want to do a beach at one, and the submarine at the other. Which would you do where? We have a DD9 and DD6. I don't think they'll go for swimming with the stingrays.

lak said:

No, they were switched to Costa Maya....however, I'm waiting to see if there are any "Live from the Magic" reports from this group. Also, think I'll mosey over to the meets forum and see what's going on for the April 8th Western. I'll report back if I find out anything. (cruisecal.com has started showing the Magic back at Cozumel in April....last time I checked.)

SueEllen said:
My friend used to live in Big Pine Key (about 30 min from Key West) so we had been to Key West a number of times prior to going with DCL.
I have not personally rented those electric cars, but a couple of my friends did and enjoyed them and the ability to get around the Island to see a lot more than you can on foot. When we were visiting my friend in the keys we would park our car (which is difficult to do sometimes in Key West--VERY limited parking) and walked around (did a LOT of walking) or took the Trolley. I liked the trolley.

What we did on one of our last cruises there was start walking to the Southernmost Point. Then we got a bit tired and opted to hop on the trolley at one of the stops on the way. The trolley takes you around to a few different locations (with the ability to get off and explore for a while if you wish.)

There is a lot you can see within walking distance, but I suggest if you want to go out to the SMPoint that you take alternate transportation so you are not so darn tired (especially with children.)
Sue Ellen

Thank you so much for the info!

We're actually on the April 8th Western. Docs have indicated Cozumel. It was posted that we're the first ship to return to Cozumel. I guess we'll let you know how it goes!

lak said:

lorilabrat or anyone - Between grand cayman and cozumel--we want to do a beach at one, and the submarine at the other. Which would you do where? We have a DD9 and DD6. I don't think they'll go for swimming with the stingrays.

I've never done the submarine,but with Cozumel being on ,what I believe to be the second largest barrier reef(Australia#1 & Key West #3),I'm betting there might be more interesting things to look at there.

We're going to Cozumel on a different cruise line (gasp) in 3 weeks. My research on the cruise critc boards indicates that the National Park loribrat metioned, if she is talking about Chankanab (sp) is still not open. They had plans to open it in April, but I believe that opening has now been pushed back to June.

NCRedding said:
We're going to Cozumel on a different cruise line (gasp) in 3 weeks. My research on the cruise critc boards indicates that the National Park loribrat metioned, if she is talking about Chankanab (sp) is still not open. They had plans to open it in April, but I believe that opening has now been pushed back to June.

Yes,that's the name of the park. I had no idea it opens and closes. I just thought,what with it being a state park,it would always be open. I wonder if it closed due to any of the storms that blew by there? It's a shame it's closed. It really was all encompassing and a very perfect day. If I couldn't go there,I would opt for snorkeling,as ,I believe it's called Palancar,the second largest reef in the world,is right there. It's the kind of place you want to snorkel.

Yes, that park and many of the beaches had significant damage from hurricane Wilma!

UMTerp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter