3 adults and one toddler in one stateroom?

cheshir3kat

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

We were looking at taking advantage of the Disney+ offer and booking a 7 night eastern Caribbean out of Port Canaveral. It is myself, my DH, our DD (3), and we invited to take my husbands grandmother for this cruise (she’s had a rough year and we wanted to treat her to a nice vacation). We were planning on booking a Deluxe Family Oceanview stateroom with verandah because of the space, but I’m worried that we’ll still be on top of each other. Has anyone ever had a stateroom with 3 adults and a toddler, how did it go? I’m not opposed to booking another stateroom, but honestly the Disney + offer is too good to pass up. Thanks!

We travel with 5 adults in a veranda room. As long as the baby can do the upper bunk you should be good. I like having everyone close.

realistically how much time will you be in your room for?
If not much then don't stress.

We travel with 5 adults in a veranda room. As long as the baby can do the upper bunk you should be good. I like having everyone close.
The kid does not need to be in the upper bunk. As long as the room booked fits 5 guests, she can sleep in the sofa and grandma can use the Murphy bed. For this to work, OP must make sure to book a specific room that fits 5 and not a *GT rate.

Considering the age of the child, and as long as grandma is able to sleep in close quarters to her, OP should be fine. It all depends on the tolerance to promiscuity proximity with grandma. There is only one bathroom after all…

Last edited:

We have done three adults in one room. I love the 8A for the three adults in one room due to the extra space.

I don’t think I could do more than about 4 days with three adults.

Considering the age of the child, and as long as grandma is able to sleep in close quarters to her, OP should be fine. It all depends on the tolerance to promiscuity with grandma. There is only one bathroom after all…
Um. I think you meant proximity.

Indeed. It's what's call a "faux-ami". My main language is French. "Promiscuité" in French has no sexual undertone . It simply means "living in close quarters"....
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Although I took French in high school, I've only retained enough to say hello, goodbye, amd thank you. I thought you were the victim of autocorrect.

The kid does not need to be in the upper bunk. As long as the room booked fits 5 guests, she can sleep in the sofa and grandma can use the Murphy bed. For this to work, OP must make sure to book a specific room that fits 5 and not a *GT rate.

Considering the age of the child, and as long as grandma is able to sleep in close quarters to her, OP should be fine. It all depends on the tolerance to promiscuity proximity with grandma. There is only one bathroom after all…
I have slept in both the sofa bed 4X and Murphy bed 1X. The Murphy bed has been my least favorite. I have never slept on top bunk. I’m 58 year old plus size women with back problems.

I agree Murphy would be a better choice for a 3 year old. I only wrote according to a lowest acceptable accommodation level perspective. Any family 5 person unit would be perfect really.

Maybe go to a furniture store and see if the child has fear of an upper bunk concept. Then show utube of a few kids in an upper bunk to see if they still have interest. Especially if you want to go with a GT rate. It’s nice if you have both and she chooses the upper bunk still because of the extra space. Or maybe if Grandma is tiny and thinks the Murphy is comfortable enough and the couch can say available for 24 hour seating.

I would also look online and promise a stuffed animal from the ships gift shop that only sleeps in the top bunk because he/she demands the best bed on the ship! I see that is incentive and not bribery.

We were looking at taking advantage of the Disney+ offer ...
We were planning on booking a Deluxe Family Oceanview stateroom with verandah
So if it's a Disney+ offer it won't be a VGT. However, you do need to be aware that not all Deluxe Family Oceanview w/Verandah will have the 5th bed. Some only sleep 4; it will have an extra arm chair in the space where the murphy bed would be. Still the extra floor space in the length of the room, but the little one would be expected to use the upper berth.

Cruise ship staterooms in general are not large spaces. So I'd think about what you plan to do while on the cruise. Will everyone spend most of their time out and about, either on the ship or getting off in port? If so you should be fine. If you would plan to spend considerable time relaxing in the stateroom, it could get tight. I do think it mostly comes down to how comfortable is everyone staying in close quarters - is grandma really up for a week of pretty much no privacy?

Was just about to ask this question...we are 4 adults sailing 5 days in an OGT in February. The shortest of us is 5"4 and 150 lbs, the will the pull down bed work for her? I am afraid we'll be in way too close of quarters, but it's the only we could afford to go. Any suggestions for keeping the room organized or feeling too cramped? I was thinking about having us getting ready for bed/dressed at staggered times.

OP, did you book a room? The best way to do this is to book a specific room so you know you will have the five beds. It is not safe to have a three year old sleep in a bunk bed on the top bunk. If you do end up with just four beds then have the mom or dad sleep in the top bunk and put the three year old in the queen bed with the other parent.

Was just about to ask this question...we are 4 adults sailing 5 days in an OGT in February. The shortest of us is 5"4 and 150 lbs, the will the pull down bed work for her? I am afraid we'll be in way too close of quarters, but it's the only we could afford to go. Any suggestions for keeping the room organized or feeling too cramped? I was thinking about having us getting ready for bed/dressed at staggered times.
Pull down will be fine for her. There’s a curtain that closes between the queen bed and rest of bedding area. So if someone uses the bathroom you have 3 changing areas. It’s tight, but not worse than a public pool or health club. And you can have some privacy which you don’t get from the fore-mentioned areas.
It’s what I can afford also. And how I see it, I’m not paying all this money to enjoy the room. It’s just a place to sleep. But, there are so many places that a person can just sit down and people watch if they wanted to relax for example, Cove café, outside lower deck and upper decks with the lounge chairs, any one of the bars where you can sit and just watch, and of course the near the pool. I look at the room as a place to change my clothes and get some sleep. The vacation is outside of the room not in it. I travel like you with 2-80’s, 2-20’s and one 60 year old.

With an OGT rate it is not likely you would get the murphy pull down—the more common configuration is one queen bed, a sofa bed, and a top bunk. I was able to climb the ladder and go on the top bunk—not comfortable and at my current stage in my life I am too old to put up with that now but in my younger college/young adult years I have slept in tighter spots on harder beds and been fine. One tip I have seen on these boards is having some folks go shower and change in the fitness center locker rooms so more people can get ready at the same time.

With an OGT rate it is not likely you would get the murphy pull down—the more common configuration is one queen bed, a sofa bed, and a top bunk. I was able to climb the ladder and go on the top bunk—not comfortable and at my current stage in my life I am too old to put up with that now but in my younger college/young adult years I have slept in tighter spots on harder beds and been fine. One tip I have seen on these boards is having some folks go shower and change in the fitness center locker rooms so more people can get ready at the same time.
Also, when you get to port, ask about the availability of room upgrades—they often sell them at steeply discounted rates on embarkation day. Might be an option to get a room with a murphy bed for not too much more money.

I would do connecting rooms but that's me. Some people are fine being packed in. Some couples are fine having no privacy from their kids or their guests on a trip.

Next time look at Royal. Way cheaper and lots of amazing ships.

DCL is nice but it's really a luxury line where the luxury is the theme, characters, and shows.
Actually we tried to save money once in 2020 just before Covid. I was disappointed in the shows more so because it seems that smutty comedy was all they could muster for a laugh. Personal sex experiences and menstrual stuff wasn’t funny to the 21 year old or the 75 year olds. The boyfriend of 21 year old thought food was good but the seasoned DCL members noticed a difference.

The activity’s were great for the boyfriend we watched him on the rock wall and wave rider. They did have dance lessons though that was amazing!

Might try it again, but on a bigger ship than the Adventure. We normally we like the Magic class but hopefully a larger ship will offer more for us.

We've done 4 adults in a room, most recently with our kids being 19 and 22 and managed with no problem. The verandah definitely helps, but even without one, the amount of time we are all in the room together, not sleeping is minimal. The split bath is definitely a life saver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter