2021 Vacations?

I also really wanted to go to Poland but I’m waiting because Covid cases are through the roof and everything I want to do is closed. I just checked out of curiosity and I couldn’t go if I wanted to anyway because of their travel restrictions for foreigners.
You're welcome to join us when things are better and safe. The more the merrier!

I've been learning a lot of Polish history before we go... so you may roll your eyes at me a lot, and perhaps even ditch me temporarily, like my daughter did when I was discussing British history with her in Westminster Abbey. lol

Cruise to the eastern Caribbean in December '21 into January '22. A trip to New Orleans via Biloxi in the fall depending on various factors.

We are currently still booked on a British Isles cruise for June 2021. It's now a game of chicken to see if the cruise line cancels before final payment. If they don't then I will take the small financial hit and move it to 2022. This was DS's HS graduation trip so I will make it happen at some point.

We have now booked a house in Kissimmee for 2 weeks. We plan to go to WDW with 10 day tickets. This way we don't have to jam pack it all in and if we feel uncomfortable can leave and know that we will have another day at least at each park. We will drive our own car and eat at the house or outdoor locations while at the parks. I am hoping that my mom and I will be vaccinated by summer. The teens will probably still be waiting their turn.

See, I think SO MANY Americans are going to want to go to National Parks this year that it will be anything but safe social distancing! Trust me, we want to go too, but my idea of a good time is not miles of cars backed up to get into the park as well as having to make reservations, etc. I just did a quick search for hotels near Yellowstone in June, holy smokes, can stay in a beautiful, beach front all-inclusive in Mexico or the Caribbean for that price! Part of my frustration is the unknown, just as it was in all of 2020, I LOVE to research and plan travel, but the not knowing when/if we can go is a struggle. I need something to look forward to!
FWIW, COVID or not, Yellowstone has always been crazy busy and expensive in the summer. It’s a much nicer trip in September.

So my employer just changed the vacation policy, no more carry over so I have 4 weeks plus 2 days to use up this year and don’t know if I can go anywhere! And after being without a job for 6 months out of 2020, I don’t want to take time off to stay at home again!

I’m sorry. I wonder if other employers will do this given that so many employees likely will have vacation they are looking to roll forward.

This reminded me to check with DH. He started a new job March 2020 and has taken 0 vacation days. Between only working one day on site before working from home for 2 months, trying to get up to speed on a new job, and then the fact that the job is college administration so he had every Friday off from mid May to August and then two weeks at the holidays he felt no need to use vacation days with no travel plans. He needs to double check the rollover rules.

We cancelled 2 visits to WDW in '20 until November when we went for a week. We enjoyed the visit and, while wearing a mask wasn't optimal, it didn't cause us to enjoy our vacation less. So for '21 we'll go in March, either April (tentative because it's a cruise and we thinking it will get cancelled) or July and then September for the F&W.

:hyper: I received an e-mail this morning offering a premium/bonus on some of my banked travel credits. I'm not sure what came over me but I went ahead and booked a package tour to Costa Rica for September. I'm actually shaking a little from the adrenaline rush! Everything is refundable and I may wake up tomorrow morning back in my right mind and cancel because we promised ourselves we wouldn't book anything until we knew for sure we were in the clear to travel. We shall see. (It is a fantastic deal though.)

:hyper: I received an e-mail this morning offering a premium/bonus on some of my banked travel credits. I'm not sure what came over me but I went ahead and booked a package tour to Costa Rica for September. I'm actually shaking a little from the adrenaline rush! Everything is refundable and I may wake up tomorrow morning back in my right mind and cancel because we promised ourselves we wouldn't book anything until we knew for sure we were in the clear to travel. We shall see. (It is a fantastic deal though.)

Awesome!

OK, I’ll bite... I’m in the UK so my perspective is perhaps a little different from the majority hereabouts...

DW and I have 2 vacations staying in the UK this year - one in June, down to Dorset (12 months after our cancelled 2020 vacation at the same place), and one in September in Cornwall. Both self-catering apartments (our preference as we‘ve never really liked the constraints of a hotel). Those will hopefully go ahead with no major issues.

And then we have our Florida trip - 23 days just after Thanksgiving (which we booked back in January 2020 when the first rumors of a new flu were just creeping out of China) to celebrate the 50th. At present I think that the odds on that one happening are perhaps 1 in 5 as so much will need to change:

No requirement for face masks in airports and on planes. Not acceptable for a 10 hour trip. I can tolerate a mask for 20 minutes in the grocery store because it’s both sensible and necessary, but any longer than that and I get anxious, irritable and downright hostile

No face masks at WDW. There’s no way we would even attempt Florida wearing face coverings of any sort (think how many we would have to carry, changing them every hour or so as they get soaked by sweat and humidity). We like the Florida weather in November and December - but not with anything wrapped round our faces

Resumption of the full WDW experience (shows, parades, all hotels and restaurants open, fireworks, ‘proper’ park-hopping, ‘proper’ night-time hours, full World Showcase entertainers at Epcot etc). The whole experience is so cut-down at present that it’s simply not worth it to us

Resumption of normal park admission. I’m not prepared to pay for park tickets 11 months in advance in order to guarantee admission, nor book specific days in specific parks so far in advance (rain and thunderstorms on a scheduled park day?) and if we wait until we arrive we could in theory find no availability at all.

And finally - full vaccinations, properly taken up by enough people to create community immunity. DW and I will be first in line when the UK roll-out reaches us; we’ve scrupulously avoided cinemas, bars, restaurants, shops etc (except for essential food shopping) for the last 9 months and we won’t risk our health if we don’t believe it’s safe, on planes or anywhere else.

<sigh> Even if Disney is offering free rebooking of tickets by this coming August, when the balances fall due for our flights (providing also that Virgin Atlantic is still around by then), villa and car, at least we will only lose the (very small) deposits involved if cancellation becomes the only sensible option. We’re not getting any younger (both in our 60s) and deferring until Fall 2022 may not be possible for any number of reasons including our own medical prospects. We’re seriously beginning to believe that our December 2019 trip will prove to have been our last trip to the USA... 🙁.

I am in the USA but I agree with all of your requirements to return to WDW. I cancelled a mother son March trip for DS’s 21st birthday due to all of the limited experiences. I’m hoping we can go in June 2022 for my sons college graduation.

I also forgot we have a trip to the Poconos booked for end of February for both of my kids bdays. They turn 15 and 21. It’s within driving distance with all outdoor activities.

I am in the USA but I agree with all of your requirements to return to WDW. I cancelled a mother son March trip for DS’s 21st birthday due to all of the limited experiences. I’m hoping we can go in June 2022 for my sons college graduation.

I also forgot we have a trip to the Poconos booked for end of February for both of my kids bdays. They turn 15 and 21. It’s within driving distance with all outdoor activities.
Fair warning if you’re planning to hit the ski slopes, it’s been busy and they are using a reservation system for tickets this year. You need to buy them in advance and the farther in advance you get them, the cheaper they are.

Of course what an American considers to be ‘within driving distance’ would scare most of us in the UK... 😊
True. We're driving 4 hours to take DD back to college tomorrow and then 4 hours back home on Sunday. And it's nothing to us.

I finally gave in to the insanely cheap airfares. Going for a long weekend to WDW in February! I've already had Covid and I think I might be up soon for the vaccination. My employer asked me today if I would take it if offered. I said YES - and booked our trip!
We were thinking of Banff this summer, and if that doesn't pan out, Pacific Northwest - Mt. Ranier, Olympia and Cannon Beach. But I have to read up how things are going out there as far as accessibility due to Covid. I think they are more restricted than we are where I live.

Booked an August vacation to Weirs beach Inn New Hampshire, Channel cottage is one of my favorite places.

Just re-booked our 2021 cruise to 2022

IDK.... I'm waiting to see how things are going...hoping to visit some family by spring or summer.... possibly camp/drive out there to do so.... I'm avoiding theme park type things for quite a while, :sad: but maybe if things ease up somewhat I can visit a national park or something tis year,love outdoor park visits.

Was booked to go to Universal and Disney in May 2021 with my adult daughter. My job cancelled all 2021 vacations through July 4th due to a core conversion. (Financial institution). Maybe I can try again in two years - AFTER I RETIRE.

My job cancelled all 2021 vacations through July 4th

I a curious as to how this works??? What if you already had invested money into your trip...air, non refundable whatever, and put your time in to HR or whatever you need to do at your place of employment?

We’ve had instances occur once or twice where a employee was really needed for a meeting that was time sensitive and came up last minute,but we compensated them by paying any change fees or tacking on extra day or whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter