2021 Availability for new owner

PrincessPauline

Earning My Ears
Hey Everyone! I just made an offer for AKL that has 200 banked points from 2019 with a December UY. I made an asking price offer due to these points being added and am now wondering if I will even have availability to use these points if everything goes smooth. Since I can't see the availability until I am an actual member, can anyone tell me where or if I will even be able to use these points before they expire? I'd like to go Labor Day weekend if everything goes through by then. Did I just make a HUGE mistake??

We do not allow people to post what is available because it changes too often that until you can book, it really doesn’t matter.

What is there now, could be gone tomorrow and nights showing booked can open up.

What I can say is that given that it is end of June, getting the contract passed, closed, account created, and points ready to book will be tight for that timeline. Figure 2 months best case scenario and 3 months at the worst.

Good luck!

Last edited:
We do not allow people to post what is available because it changes too often that until you can book, it really doesn’t matter.

What is there now, could be gone tomorrow and nights snowing booked can open up.

What I can say is that given that it is end of June, getting the contract passed, closed, account created, and points ready to book will be tight for that timeline. Figure 2 months best case scenario and 3 months at the worst.

Good luck!
Great. Pretty sure I just made a huge mistake 😔 but thanks for the info. Much appreciated

I'd like to go Labor Day weekend if everything goes through by then.

when you said you had just made an offer, what does that mean time wise? Ie a few weeks ago or a few days ago?

we just made an offer (6/18) and got sent to ROFR 6/19. Closing date is tentatively set at the end of August. I assume it will take another 2-3 weeks after that for points to load. We’re worried about making our 9/30/21 banking deadline to be honest.

I'm not optimistic for Labor Day but you may be able to piece together a last minute trip with waitlist and split stays later this fall.

Last edited:

Those banked points need to be used for a trip that ends no later than Nov 30, 2021. You will probably not be able to even go online to make a reservation until sometime in Aug. You can assume that getting Labor Day time, or even any time before end of Nov, will be extremely difficult. For WDW resorts, go here to see charts providing typical filling patterns of rooms for times throughout the year: https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/ Note, those charts are pre-covid. Due to resort shutdowns, members accumulating a lot of banked points, and many members now getting back to WDW for the first time in well over a year, the resort demand for any rooms for Sep time and after has actually been higher than that indicated by the charts.

Last edited:
Members continue to cancel trips just before the 31-day deadline, but these also get rebooked quickly.

The only thing you can do is check several times each day and hope for the best.

Even if you just put in an offer you can remove yourself from it. I don't think anyone can say you will or won't be able to use the points but most will lean to the won't.

Hey Everyone! I just made an offer for AKL that has 200 banked points from 2019 with a December UY. I made an asking price offer due to these points being added and am now wondering if I will even have availability to use these points if everything goes smooth. Since I can't see the availability until I am an actual member, can anyone tell me where or if I will even be able to use these points before they expire? I'd like to go Labor Day weekend if everything goes through by then. Did I just make a HUGE mistake??
It's highly doubtful that you will close and have your membership created and points loaded soon enough to book anything for Labor Day weekend. In fact, it could be difficult to use those banked points before they expire. If you made your offer with the expectation that those points held any value, it would probably be wise to rescind.

If you cannot rescind, then you should stipulate that any 2020 points get banked into 2021 before it goes to ROFR because those points must be banked by July 31, 2021 or else they will also expire on November 30, 2021.

I wouldn't worry about the Labor Day vacation not happening. Don't focus on that. Focus on all the vacations that you will have in the future.
If you are worried about the points, I would have the current owner bank them, so at least you can use them next year. But if not, I imagine that you would be able to piece something together before they expire (split stay). When I bought my first resale contract, it came with 78 points that were set to expire. That last-minute trip is still one of my favorites.

I think you could use those points,
( already banked ? and about to expire) ,
at some of the cash rooms on Disney property. The conversion is not usually suggested because it offers little value but would be better than losing those points.
Either way, availability is very narrow for 50 th Anniversary and return of fireworks, etc. Also flights are very expensive.

Does anybody know of terms to rescind…I know you have 10 days but what if it has actually passed ROFR , etc. and is the buyer or the seller still responsible for the commission?

when you said you had just made an offer, what does that mean time wise? Ie a few weeks ago or a few days ago?

we just made an offer (6/18) and got sent to ROFR 6/19. Closing date is tentatively set at the end of August. I assume it will take another 2-3 weeks after that for points to load. We’re worried about making our 9/30/21 banking deadline to be honest.

I'm not optimistic for Labor Day but you may be able to piece together a last minute trip with waitlist and split stays later this fall.
I just made the offer this morning and am waiting to hear from broker and financing re accepted or not. Maybe early November trip instead. I don’t know. I’m really second guessing myself. I had a plan to buy dvc, saw this listing and threw it all in the toilet LOL… hopefully it works out but I’m feeling a bit anxious about it since I made such a snap decision. I’m a planner personality so this is definitely against my character

at some of the cash rooms on Disney property. The conversion is not usually suggested because it offers little value but would be better than losing those points.
Either way, availability is very narrow for 50 th Anniversary and return of fireworks, etc. Also flights are very expensive.

Does anybody know of terms to rescind…I know you have 10 days but what if it has actually passed ROFR , etc. and is the buyer or the seller still responsible for the commission?
I didn’t even think about cash rooms. That’s a fantastic idea! Thank you so much. I’m getting pretty nervous and literally just made the offer this morning.

Resale points cannot be used for the Disney Collection (cash hotel rooms).

I didn’t even think about cash rooms. That’s a fantastic idea! Thank you so much. I’m getting pretty nervous and literally just made the offer this morning.
As far as regular DVC rooms right now, there’s not much beyond a day or two here and there left this year. SSR 1BR is usually one of the last morsels left when things are tight where at least a string of days can be found together.
Good to have the back up plans. I’d see what the owner can bank now. Along with whatever other choices you find, maybe consider nonWDW resort stay for yourself or rent since that’s easier to find availability. The 50th and glut of points has WDW heavily booked already.

Resale points cannot be used for the Disney Collection (cash hotel rooms).
Thanks for quick update… I totally forgot .
Honestly you should consider rescind until you have a chance to compare. Those points were considered a part of the pricing equation on the sellers side and you should know that might be a value that would be worthless. Unless you got a steal of a deal.
I have lived with a timeshare decision that I have regretted for 20 years and it still is a lasting memory that makes staying there something to avoid. I wanted Boardwalk and DVC direct convinced me to purchase at Villas Wilderness Lodge . I know seems silly but still makes me mad at myselfHaha … that’s what happens when you make a clueless purchase! I wish I could say my other mistakes in life still gave me a lifetime of happiness tho!

Last edited:

Actually, the points will not be usable for any non-DVC Disney hotels at WDW since resale points are excluded from that option.. Moreover, even a DVC owner not subject to the resale rule could not make a reservation after July 31, 2021. Though a member can reserve a hotel room to stay for times that occur in the last four months of the use year, any reservation to do so must be made before the last four months of the use year. For a Dec use year, such reservation would have to be made no later than July 31.

As to your rescission and commissions question, note that it likely really depends on what the contract for sale says. For example, that 10-day rescission rule may not apply. The timeshare statute in Florida sets out a long list of things a timeshare "seller" must include in a contract for sale, including that 10-day rescission period. Fl. Stats. sec 721.06. However, if you read the definitions applicable to the statute, the term "seller" excludes any timeshare owner who is selling his timeshare interest that he had purchased mainly for his own use, Fl. Stats, sec. 721.05(33). In other words, most DVC owners who are doing a resale are not subject to the statutory terms required to be in a contract for sale of a timeshare, including that 10-day rescission period, and thus you need to see the actual contract to determine the issue you mention.

Last edited:
I think the only surefire way to salvage the points would be to deposit them with RCI. It would have to happen at least 45 days prior to expiration but the OP would then have 2 years in which to use those points for an RCI villa. The Orlando area would be excluded but a nice vacation somewhere else would be possible.

However, if it were me, I would rescind the offer and take a step back. You don't want to throw your carefully considered plans out the window on a contract that really isn't what you thought it could be.

Actually, the points will not be usable for any non-DVC Disney hotels at WDW since resale points are excluded from that option.. Moreover, even a DVC owner not subject to the resale rule could not make a reservation after July 31, 2021. Though a member can reserve a hotel room to stay for times that occur in the last four months of the use year, any reservation to do so must be made before the last four months of the use year. For a Dec use year, such reservation would have to be made no later than July 31.

As to your rescission and commissions question, note that it likely really depends on what the contract for sale says. For example, that 10-day rescission rule may not apply. The timeshare statute in Florida sets out a long list of things a timeshare "seller" must include in a contract for sale, including that 10-day rescission period. Fl. Stats. sec 721.06. However, if you read the definitions applicable to the statute, the term "seller" excludes any timeshare owner who is selling his timeshare interest that he had purchased mainly for his own use, Fl. Stats, sec. 721.05(3). In other words, most DVC owners who are doing a resale are not subject to the statutory terms required to be in a contract for sale of a timeshare, including that 10-day rescission period, and thus you need to see the actual contract to determine the issue you mention.
Thank you for information.

Y’all are wonderful! Thank you so much for all of your advice and knowledge. The easy decision was “I’m buying DVC” the hard decision is How, When and Where. AKL is on my list of wanted home resorts. I’m just second guessing this contract since we already have a Christmas trip on the books for this year. I hate to pass this up but it might be best.

I would definitely be much more pleased if I may be able to amend my offer for a few dollars less per point. Has anyone heard of doing this? Is it an option? I don’t want to offend the seller, however the lost points are big factor for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter