2020 Canada or Bermuda from NY

emhnyc

Earning My Ears
Any preference for either of these 5 night cruises offered for next year? I am leaning towards Canada for the fall foliage and friendly Canadians but thought I would check for people's experiences. Also from the other thread it seems better to book in this opening week vs waiting for my first cruise end of Oct. with the discount. Any thoughts welcome. We are a couple with a baby who will be two on these sailings. Thank you!

It would be better to book asap then if the price doesn't jump before your first cruise, you can re-book on board.

The peak fall foliage season varies a little from year to year, and the leaves turn earlier in Canada than they do in New York. Hope you hit the peak somewhere along the way.

I'm torn as well. I'd likely prefer the nicer weather to Bermuda and back, and I don't typically care too much for the ports. But, the Canada stops might be interesting.

It would be better to book asap then if the price doesn't jump before your first cruise, you can re-book on board.

The peak fall foliage season varies a little from year to year, and the leaves turn earlier in Canada than they do in New York. Hope you hit the peak somewhere along the way.
Thank you! Good point about the changing dates. My main interest is being able to go on a vacation where families are treated well without the logistics of airports or driving. I do wonder if the ship will be a lot more crowded not being swimming weather. From what I read about Alaska and Norway though, it's fun to snuggle up and take in the views without the pools.

I'm torn as well. I'd likely prefer the nicer weather to Bermuda and back, and I don't typically care too much for the ports. But, the Canada stops might be interesting.
Sounds like the Bermuda could sway you but I'm more the type that shuns the sun so leaning a little more towards Canada. I read a little about the towns and it seems like there are some interesting options. But you would have the pools! I did read a book about cruises and it suggested to stay on the ship in port (they were talking about Nassau) but you could do that one day and have the place to yourself! Hmm maybe I'm talking myself into it.

lol

Born and raised in New England, so I have some understanding of what environment could be like for a Canada cruise in the fall and that IS appealing. Not entirely sure what the weather might be like on deck, though. Mid-October can still be plenty warm on land, but at sea... ??? And heading North?

When I cruise, I tend to be more interested in what's on the boat. If I want to do excursion type things, I'll fly there and spend time as opposed to feeling rushed to get through it and back on the ship. To me, the cruise is the vacation, NOT the time spent off of the boat.

lol

Born and raised in New England, so I have some understanding of what environment could be like for a Canada cruise in the fall and that IS appealing. Not entirely sure what the weather might be like on deck, though. Mid-October can still be plenty warm on land, but at sea... ??? And heading North?

When I cruise, I tend to be more interested in what's on the boat. If I want to do excursion type things, I'll fly there and spend time as opposed to feeling rushed to get through it and back on the ship. To me, the cruise is the vacation, NOT the time spent off of the boat.
That's great advice and outlook on cruising, thank you!

2017 we did 4 nights to Canada, just one stop at Saint John NB.

2018 we did 5 nights to Bermuda.

Bermuda was so much better. We were there for both cruises 3rd Week in October.

I love Bermuda. Beautiful water, beaches and the people are lovely. You are over night there. Seas to Bermuda were much calmer. To Canada it was rocky.

But that’s just my take. I live in NJ and we have beautiful fall foliage in my own backyard.

Wife and I had a similar discussion (Canada vs. Bermuda for Oct. 2020) last evening. Although we're booked on a Mexican Riviera cruise on another line in early 2020, we opted to book the Bermuda cruise (Disney Magic for Oct. 2020 and will likely book a longer (7- or 10-night) Canadian cruise for Fall 2021 on another line (likely the same line as our Mexican Riviera cruise). I guess we're "balancing" our cruise travel this way! Yes, we love DCL, but we also enjoy cruising on another line in addition to traveling to WDW once (or more) per year.

Regardless of which decision you make, just remember you'll on DCL, and it's certainly special!

Well, I'd go to Bermuda, but then I grew up in Nova Scotia and return frequently to visit family. Travelling to New York in order to ultimately get to Halifax for a single day wouldn't be very sensible for me. :-)

I think for most people this would come down to weather. If you're looking for heat and beaches, Bermuda is the obvious better choice. If you prefer scenery and probably a wider variety of activities to choose from in port, and don't mind the cooler fall temperatures, the Maritimes are a lovely place to visit!

The pools on the ship will be heated when the temps are cooler. So you can use them if you want. Even on our Alaskan cruise there were many people using them.

Just got off an Alaskan cruise and am in the process of booking the Bermuda NYC cruise. Our youngest is 3 and my eldest is 7 so ports that are primarily cultural would be lost on them, Bermuda seems to offer more active options. We didn't use the pool much on our Alaska cruise because the air really was too cold and the pools, while heated, are shallow so even if you are in there with your kids your top half is still frozen. My husband and eldest did use the basketball court once and I went to the hot tub in the Quiet Cove area once. You definitely won't be fighting off the crowds on the pool deck if you choose Canada! I'm also guessing the Bermuda cruise will have more kids to play with in the clubs than the Canadian ones that might be an older demographic, but I could be totally wrong on that.

2017 we did 4 nights to Canada, just one stop at Saint John NB.

2018 we did 5 nights to Bermuda.

Bermuda was so much better. We were there for both cruises 3rd Week in October.

I love Bermuda. Beautiful water, beaches and the people are lovely. You are over night there. Seas to Bermuda were much calmer. To Canada it was rocky.

But that’s just my take. I live in NJ and we have beautiful fall foliage in my own backyard.
Thank you for this input - I guess it would be weather dependent - in one guide I saw that there is a lot of rain in Bermuda that time of year but it sounds like you had a great time. It doesn't seem like there are that many itineraries out of NY to choose from, so there is always another time. We live in the city so it's hard to feel "in nature" most of the time. Very interesting what you're saying about the seas though. How did it work the overnight, was that a plus for you? The general booking window opens in the morning so I'm going to have to call it one way or the other.

Wife and I had a similar discussion (Canada vs. Bermuda for Oct. 2020) last evening. Although we're booked on a Mexican Riviera cruise on another line in early 2020, we opted to book the Bermuda cruise (Disney Magic for Oct. 2020 and will likely book a longer (7- or 10-night) Canadian cruise for Fall 2021 on another line (likely the same line as our Mexican Riviera cruise). I guess we're "balancing" our cruise travel this way! Yes, we love DCL, but we also enjoy cruising on another line in addition to traveling to WDW once (or more) per year.

Regardless of which decision you make, just remember you'll on DCL, and it's certainly special!
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I have interest in another line as well as the AbD river cruising when we are able to but I love the family friendly emphasis. With these replies I'm really going to take a closer look at the Bermuda dates. I know there were three available, was there a week that you thought was better than others?

The pools on the ship will be heated when the temps are cooler. So you can use them if you want. Even on our Alaskan cruise there were many people using them.
Oh that's great info - thank you. I didn't think about that. We will have our baby with us and they can't use the pools for a few years but we could each sneak off for a dip in the adults only area!

Just got off an Alaskan cruise and am in the process of booking the Bermuda NYC cruise. Our youngest is 3 and my eldest is 7 so ports that are primarily cultural would be lost on them, Bermuda seems to offer more active options. We didn't use the pool much on our Alaska cruise because the air really was too cold and the pools, while heated, are shallow so even if you are in there with your kids your top half is still frozen. My husband and eldest did use the basketball court once and I went to the hot tub in the Quiet Cove area once. You definitely won't be fighting off the crowds on the pool deck if you choose Canada! I'm also guessing the Bermuda cruise will have more kids to play with in the clubs than the Canadian ones that might be an older demographic, but I could be totally wrong on that.
Thank you for sharing your experience on the Alaska cruise! I would love to do that itinerary someday. Your insights are very helpful and appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter