2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

So I completed my first ever 5k on Friday. I had no idea what to expect really. I was in the C Corral because I run slowly (15 minutes mile). However, I was thinking that I would have been better off in A Or B, because it seemed that the majority of the people in C were walking. I found it frustrating to constantly have to modify my pace to either get around or pretty much jog in place behind the groups of walkers. By the time we got out of World Showcase, it was impossible to run because the crowd bottle necked, and it felt like no one was moving.
I was also bummed that the lines for the characters were so long. I’m thinking that if you weren’t in A or B, you’d have no shot of taking pics and also finishing the race on time, but Idk.

If I were to do another runDisney race in the future, what would you suggest? Should I place myself in the higher corrals?

Unfortunately it’s an “on your honor” system for the 5K. There are many people that lie about their estimated pace just so they can be in corral A. The Disney 5Ks have so many walkers and really long lines that I just don’t enjoy them. I was in the middle of corral A in January and still ran into walls of walkers.

Now that you know you can run a 5K try something locally that offers a neat medal and has some fun festivities after the race. You will find the experience much different!

We stayed at POFQ and it took us an hour to get from the resort to the drop off area. We had just enough time to drop off our bags, potty and head to start line. Two miles to start line??? The traffic was a mess. Saw two ladies who must have abandoned being dropped off walking. Then running along the road to get to Epcot. The resort bus ahead of us picked them up.

I attempted the challenge but couldn't finish the half. I know have my goal for next year. My daughter went on and finished but said the course was just brutal with so much empty road. Loved allI the costumes and seeing everyone with their medals after the race. I recommend staying on site for race weekends as transportation was so easy.

Congratulations to all the runners!!

Unfortunately it’s an “on your honor” system for the 5K. There are many people that lie about their estimated pace just so they can be in corral A. The Disney 5Ks have so many walkers and really long lines that I just don’t enjoy them. I was in the middle of corral A in January and still ran into walls of walkers.

Now that you know you can run a 5K try something locally that offers a neat medal and has some fun festivities after the race. You will find the experience much different!
I think that with the challenges it's not even all people that have mis-coralled themselves. I think there are a lot of people that may have submitted faster POT's but that are running challenges and are taking the first couple of races slow to save for the marathon or half.

I think that with the challenges it's not even all people that have mis-coralled themselves. I think there are a lot of people that may have submitted faster POT's but that are running challenges and are taking the first couple of races slow to save for the marathon or half.
I agree. Injuries could play a part in that as well.

Personally, I worked to get a POT for this race. This was my second runDisney weekend, and I decided I wanted to run these races for fun instead of time. I enjoyed the atmosphere and took photos I was interested in. Even with the crowds I still had a great time!

I agree. Injuries could play a part in that as well.

Personally, I worked to get a POT for this race. This was my second runDisney weekend, and I decided I wanted to run these races for fun instead of time. I enjoyed the atmosphere and took photos I was interested in. Even with the crowds I still had a great time!

I always have a great time, even with crowds and long stretches of road.

I really like the 5k and 10k because of the park time/road time ratio. I think both the half and the Full have pretty decent stretches of road. I'm probably in the minority but even though I don't like the canted surface I like the on ramps because they visually break up the road running during those races.

I think the Wine and Dine/ Star Wars half course has more interesting stuff on it, but you don't get to run through the Castle.

Congratulations to everyone that ran this weekend! I had a great time during my first runDisney Challenge weekend. I honestly don't know how you guys do more than two early mornings in a row though- I'm such a baby about sleep lol! It was certainly very hot and humid. I kinda wish the gorgeous weather we had on Monday was the weather during the half marathon. I had a moment of stress when my 10K medal got stolen at Disney Springs on Saturday (entirely my fault. I left it on the table at the AMC Dine-In theater for a few minutes and then it was gone). I was so happy that runDisney gave me a replacement after the half! I think the 3 medals are gorgeous and I was so excited to hang them up this morning!
IMG_7724.JPG IMG_7725.JPG

Yeah some of them, but I belong to a number of facebook groups (and other places on the web) where it's suggested to fudge your estimated pace for the 5K & 10K to give more cushion in being able to finish. Trust me, I don't go all out in the 5K during a challenge weekend. The 5K is very walker friendly for a wide range of age groups which I think is great. It gets people off the couch and moving.

Yeah some of them, but I belong to a number of facebook groups (and other places on the web) where it's suggested to fudge your estimated pace for the 5K & 10K to give more cushion in being able to finish. Trust me, I don't go all out in the 5K during a challenge weekend. The 5K is very walker friendly for a wide range of age groups which I think is great. It gets people off the couch and moving.

Yeah I understand people's desire to do that. Because there isn't a POT it's hard for me to say who's just fudged and who's taking it easy. It would frustrate me to get bumped down to a lower corral because a bunch of people had fudged faster times.

We stayed at POFQ and it took us an hour to get from the resort to the drop off area. We had just enough time to drop off our bags, potty and head to start line. Two miles to start line??? The traffic was a mess. Saw two ladies who must have abandoned being dropped off walking. Then running along the road to get to Epcot. The resort bus ahead of us picked them up.

I attempted the challenge but couldn't finish the half. I know have my goal for next year. My daughter went on and finished but said the course was just brutal with so much empty road. Loved allI the costumes and seeing everyone with their medals after the race. I recommend staying on site for race weekends as transportation was so easy.

Congratulations to all the runners!!

You and I were on the same bus!!!. We were talking about them too. Was wondering why the bus in front wasn't moving until we saw them turn left and get on the bus.

I have to resize pics to get them to post. I was in the pink dress and daughter was in King Stefan outfit

We were!! I remember you saying here that you were going to be Aurora then I saw you on the bus, then the big screen. I also saw you after the race back at the resort. It was a killer day and agree with poster above who said Monday's weather would have been perfect!!

Thanks! I think I may try another race locally before I give up on running.
I went from not being able to run for a minute straight to being able to run a 5k. This race was my motivation, but the day of it just sort felt meh because I was forced to walk so much.
I get the most people think it’s fun because they’re experience runners, but I just felt frustrated and dejected the day of. When I crossed the finish line, I wasn’t proud or anything. I sort of felt like I cheated maybe? Idk.
I just expected this feeling of exhilaration that just wasn’t there.

Maybe I’ll try a local one I can actually run.

If not, maybe I’ll move onto swimming or something :confused3 :rotfl:

This was another fantastic father/daughter weekend. This is our 4th year running Princess weekend. The Princess weekend is also my birthday celebration weekend. I can tell we took our time walking a good portion since our costumes were not very breatheable. I train in this type of heat but not dressed like this.

We even made the events big screen TV. :woohoo:

image000000_02.jpg image000000.jpg image000000_01.jpg image000000_01.jpg image000000.jpg

We were!! I remember you saying here that you were going to be Aurora then I saw you on the bus, then the big screen. I also saw you after the race back at the resort. It was a killer day and agree with poster above who said Monday's weather would have been perfect!!

You should have said hi!

I wanted to but I am a little shy and it seemed weird to me. Sorry. But you both looked great. I am in awe of those of you who finished. I have my goal for the year and that is to conquer the Challenge next Feb. I know I can do this if only my body will cooperate.

I was in the front of F but does anyone know why so many runners were coming in super late? There were people jumping over the barrier at the last minute to get in and pushing past the volunteers. Maybe that's normal but I've never seen that in a 10k.

I was in E and saw at least four people with H bibs jump the barricades into our corral. The volunteers did nothing to stop them. It was super disappointing, especially for my RBF who worked super super hard to get her POT so that she could legitimately start in an earlier corral. I had always heard that Disney was strict about policing people in the corrals.

I'm way late to the party here, and honestly, I'm just showing up for the after party. lol But... I graduated from high school with Jackie!! Can't say I knew her well, but I'm almost sure we had a class or two together. I had heard a blurb on the news, but didn't hear her name. Wasn't until I saw a friend post something that I made the connection. Way to go Jackie!! FHN (our high school) is so proud of you!

I'm just a 5k runner - I trained and was totally on track to be ready for my 11-12min pace... and then broncitis/asthma struck at the beginning of the month. I ran/walked as much as I could & and we finished in about 40 minutes. Hopefully next year will be better!

You don't need the word "just" in that first sentence. It's about your journey. I remember reading an article about a woman who was on a flight back from australia where she had just competed in the track world championships in the 5k. I believe she placed too. On the flight back someone noticed her running shoes and asked if she was a runner. She responded that she did run and, that she mainly ran 5ks. The gentleman not realizing who he was talking too "encouraged her", one day if she worked hard enough she might be able to run longer distances....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter