2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Question about the 5k- do they pipe music in throughout Epcot during the run? I’m making a running playlist but the music they play in the parks gets me super pumped a lot bc I’m a nerd :)

They play music around world showcase. During the marathon they had some very emotional ones playing on a loop.

9 days until I leave. 9 DAYS. It absolutely cannot come soon enough. We are getting clobbered by another snowstorm up here (the 4th in the last 3 and a half weeks, after getting barely a flake for all of December and half of January) and I, who typically likes winter, am so done. It’s hard to believe that on January 18th, I was running outside. There better not be another system next week Thursday or I will be livid!
I am really getting excited too. I keep checking these boards to see if anybody else is out there eagerly watching the weather, dreaming about packing and generally just being more excited than a grown up should be to wake up at 3 am and dress up in a costume to run a really long ways.

Not that I need another thing to worry about for the weekend, but the whole “government shutdown” thing and the affect on plane flights is worrying me. We are already not arriving until 8:30 Friday night, and departing super early Monday morning. As my Mother would say “don’t borrow trouble.” Anybody else worried?
Well I wasn't... but I am now. We are flying out Weds' afternoon. If things go all pear shaped we could drive and make it in time, but we'd likely miss the first part of the expo Thursday morning.

Looking at Accuweather it looks like it's going to be pretty warm during the races. Temps are about 10degrees warmer than normal. On the plus side it means waiting in the corrals will be pretty comfortable, but it could be pretty warm especially during the later part of the Half Marathon.

Any one doing all 3? I have no idea what I was thinking signing up for the whole weekend. :earseek:

I'm doing all three!! The running part isn't what scares me, it's the three really silly early mornings!! I hope I will be able to adjust from Pacific time to race time in the few days leading up the the big race day.

A) I so wanted to do Vanelope but I had a hard time finding teal tights that I liked then I thought I would get hot in a hooded shirt so I scraped the idea and went with my personal favorite snow white.

B) I can't imagine running in the bitter cold on icy sidewalks! Now I feel like a big wimp for not completing my run because of 65 degree rain and wind....yes, I live here in FL. So kudos to you for toughing that out!!

A) I'm wearing short sleeves, no hood, a skirt (with shorts underneath), and calf sleeves, so it's not a full costume. If I'm too hot for the 10K I'll reconsider the costume and wear a plain tank top and short shorts for the half marathon. Pretty much my entire wardrobe for two weeks will be running-type clothing anyway, so I'll have plenty of options.

B) Don't feel bad!! I grew up in northern Canada, running in deep cold temperatures that would make most people cry. That's what I am used to. However, I'm going to be a real mess in the Florida heat. I start overheating on runs when the temperature is a few degrees above freezing, and am really worried about the heat for race weekend. I hope it cools off more at night than what they predict. I may actually try to run on a treadmill in a room heated above normal to try and adapt slightly before we leave.

I'm doing all three!! The running part isn't what scares me, it's the three really silly early mornings!! I hope I will be able to adjust from Pacific time to race time in the few days leading up the the big race day.

A) I'm wearing short sleeves, no hood, a skirt (with shorts underneath), and calf sleeves, so it's not a full costume. If I'm too hot for the 10K I'll reconsider the costume and wear a plain tank top and short shorts for the half marathon. Pretty much my entire wardrobe for two weeks will be running-type clothing anyway, so I'll have plenty of options.

B) Don't feel bad!! I grew up in northern Canada, running in deep cold temperatures that would make most people cry. That's what I am used to. However, I'm going to be a real mess in the Florida heat. I start overheating on runs when the temperature is a few degrees above freezing, and am really worried about the heat for race weekend. I hope it cools off more at night than what they predict. I may actually try to run on a treadmill in a room heated above normal to try and adapt slightly before we leave.
I have been running indoors to get used to sweating on my runs. Weather here near Chicago has been a mix of rain, snow and ice for the past few weeks. I worry about the sudden shift to warmer temps and more humid air.

The snow in the greater Seattle area is destroying me. We are righteously shut down all over, and that means I can’t get to the Y for my runs or yoga. Plus my son can’t go to ballet, so he’s losing his mind as well.

Tomorrow we might be able to get out, if I can get out of my driveway and up to the main road. I’ve seen other people doing it, but they have better cars than my Civic and I assume know how to drive without skidding everywhere and panicking.

Good luck! I generally adapt just in time to head back home. I’m bad with jet lag.

However, I'm going to be a real mess in the Florida heat. I start overheating on runs when the temperature is a few degrees above freezing, and am really worried about the heat for race weekend.

Bring your own water and fuel. Wear a hat. Slow down. If you go slow enough they’ll set up the cold wet sponge station that they did last year. (Faster runners went by the spot before they set it up if I recall correctly)

Last edited:
Good luck! I generally adapt just in time to head back home. I’m bad with jet lag.

I actually have more trouble going to sleep early than I do getting up early.

Bring your own water and fuel. Wear a hat. Slow down. If you go slow enough they’ll set up the cold wet sponge station that they did last year. (Faster runnners went by the spot before they set it up if I recall correctly)

Yes yes and yes. SLOW DOWN. That's my number 1 tip. You're not in the Olympics or qualifying for Boston. There is no need to try and "win." Unless you are naturally (and comfortably) super fast!

BFF and I are dressing as Aurora (one pink, one blue) for the half. Have Ariel themed outfits for the 10K, which we've worn before.

To be honest, my training has really suffered this winter. This is the first time I've signed up for a race this time of year since moving to PA and I am no good at winter training. I should have stuck to the 10K I think. But lesson learned. I don't think I will ever train as well through the winter now that I live here instead of FL!

Also, I am really hoping for a merch preview soon since a week from now I'll be on a plane to MCO!

Snow day #1 and day 10 of this bronchitis thing. Going to the dr in a couple hours. Really glad I'm only doing the 5k. I'll just walk it if I still can't breath. Hopefully this weather is past us and we can all fly/travel safely!!

They play music around world showcase. During the marathon they had some very emotional ones playing on a loop.
Spectating the marathon in Epcot in 2018 and hearing the music gave me all the feels and I wasn’t even running! I went home and made a playlist with some of the songs because it was so motivating.

Looking at Accuweather it looks like it's going to be pretty warm during the races. Temps are about 10degrees warmer than normal. On the plus side it means waiting in the corrals will be pretty comfortable, but it could be pretty warm especially during the later part of the Half Marathon.
Trying not to get too worried about it yet but it will be what it is. The way things have been going lately, I just want to be there running, and I’ll take warmer than average over rain. I did the Star Wars half in 2017 and I’m pretty sure the start temp for that was around 70 and I survived.

BFF and I are dressing as Aurora (one pink, one blue) for the half. Have Ariel themed outfits for the 10K, which we've worn before.

To be honest, my training has really suffered this winter. This is the first time I've signed up for a race this time of year since moving to PA and I am no good at winter training. I should have stuck to the 10K I think. But lesson learned. I don't think I will ever train as well through the winter now that I live here instead of FL!

Also, I am really hoping for a merch preview soon since a week from now I'll be on a plane to MCO!
My training has been pretty nonexistent. At least I’ve done some non-running exercise over the past few weeks so hopefully I’ll be okay. I just think I’ll be walking a ton and enjoying the atmosphere/getting some pictures. I’ll be starting in corral E, with a typical average pace around 12 min/mile, so I’m not too concerned.

And yes, merchandise preview please!

Spectating the marathon in Epcot in 2018 and hearing the music gave me all the feels and I wasn’t even running! I went home and made a playlist with some of the songs because it was so motivating.!

I'm curious now what this soundtrack was! If you have any song recommendations based on the playlist you created, could you suggest them, please? I'm trying to fill out my playlist for the half. :)

*drums fingers on desk waiting for merchandise preview*

I'm curious now what this soundtrack was! If you have any song recommendations based on the playlist you created, could you suggest them, please? I'm trying to fill out my playlist for the half. :)

Yep, Go the Distance and Almost There like @keahgirl8 said. Go the Distance is my personal fave. <3

Also Seize the Day from Newsies and How Far I’ll Go. I’m drawing a blank right now,
but I’ll post more if I remember.

In 2015, it was Frozen themed and they played Let it Go in every language. THE WHOLE TIME. I am an adult who loves Frozen and Let it Go, but man... That was a lot.

That's better than the unending repeat of "Following the Leader" during the ENTIRE 2017 Tink 5K!!!

Having trouble staying motivated in the final stages of training. So much snow here. Terrible weather. So sick of the treadmill. I’m always glad to finish a run, but man, is it boring. Dying to get outside and run. But that is months away—except for the time in Florida next week. Hope I’ve trained enough for my 10k. Looking so forward to getting away with my fourteen year old daughter. We have a great weekend planned!

Last edited:
Snow day #1 and day 10 of this bronchitis thing. Going to the dr in a couple hours. Really glad I'm only doing the 5k. I'll just walk it if I still can't breath. Hopefully this weather is past us and we can all fly/travel safely!!
So sorry you're still sick. That sounds awful. Hope you feel better soon!

Along with the great suggestions already here, I'll add "Carrying the Banner" from Newsies (I just listen to the Broadway version, so I'm not sure if this song is from the movie. "When Will My Life Begin" from Tangled and "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" from Mulan are some of my other favorites.

Last edited:

I’ll add “Dig a Little Deeper” to the growing list of suggestions! A great motivating message when you feel like you can’t run anymore :music:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter