2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

Are Florida resident discounts the same as RO discounts? We are going 11/12-16 and FD isn't during that time but I currently have a reservation booked with a Florida resident discount but wondered when the discounts come out in July if the RO discount would be the same or better? Just want to make sure I get the best deal.

Hey guys, so I need opinions. 3 adults, staying at Yacht Club in Sept for 3 nights. We had everything booked, flights included so were hoping for a RO discount. That is not showing up available for our stay so we were trying to just wait it out and hope something opens.

However, after crunching some numbers we looked into staying another night for Free Dining. It is available for us on our dates. The price compared to what we are paying now is great. The problem is we have to pay fees to change our flight home but let me know what you guys think about this-

The difference ends up being about $300 more per person for another night and Free Dining (including our flights and changes.) We are going to use snack credits at F&W which is great. My concern is that I am a vegetarian and my sister is not the most adventurous eater so I know our food cost is generally not that high. I do like the inclusion of alcohol though, plus our other traveler probably will pick higher priced items if she can. Considering we will probably end up paying OOP for small breakfast items at some point as well as drinks to walk around with in Epcot, is this worth it? The convenience is very tempting, plus we really wouldn't add another night without this perk.

I feel like it could be worth it, but I honestly don't know anymore. All these numbers I've been looking at are making me crazy!
There is a lot of excitement around free dining and it is easy to get caught up in it. ;) There are a lot of extra costs to adding another night. There will be an additional ticket purchase required for one thing. And if you bought your tickets before the price went up then you will have to pay the current price, which is higher. There may be extra purchases you'll have to make. Do you have to pay for parking at the airport or other cost for traveling? You could look to book at a different resort that is eligible for a discount. A 25% discount on a deluxe room is at least $100 per day.

Last edited:
Seems like there is still a ton of availability for my dates (in December) for Coronado Springs, while other resorts are slim pickings. Does anyone know why Coronado would have more availability than other resorts? Is it because the resort is so large or are people avoiding it due to the construction? I'm wondering because we actually wanted to stay there for our upcoming trip based on the glowing review the Dis gave them in their 7 Resorts in 7 Days videos. The fact that there is still plenty of Free Dining rooms available there makes me step back and wonder if we chose a good resort?

Does anyone have any theories on this?

We loved CSR. It's a fantastic resort, but it is big. I'd recommend requesting a room near El Centro. We stayed in 8B without any extra costs, and it was a good location to get to the pool and restaurants.

However, they're going to start some construction later this year (December, maybe?). They're building a boardwalk and restaurant on the lagoon, and there's a new tower going up near the convention center.

Keep checking it! Last night, some rooms at Pop opened up for me that I couldn't find before and thought it would never be available. There are always people cancelling and rooms going back to the inventory. I would be upset to be stuck in All Stars, but I would take it rather than nothing.

I am making myself crazy checking all through the day and night to get what I need. LOL

Kind of off topic question. So we got free qsdp for our trip in sept and I havent used a dining plan since they started doing mydisney experience. Ny question is does it show your dining credits on the app so you can keep track of them?

If anyone is still looking for December dates for FD, I was on the DIsney world website stalking the availability of rooms for FD. Our dates are December 11-16, yesterday nothing was available, today there was availability at every resort category starting December 7. Looks like there has been some rooms released from hold, canceled or new openings.

Kind of off topic question. So we got free qsdp for our trip in sept and I havent used a dining plan since they started doing mydisney experience. Ny question is does it show your dining credits on the app so you can keep track of them?
I believe it now does show credits. You need to have the latest updated version of the app. I haven't used it for dining program yet, but it was super handy the last time I went because it show you all the charges made by magic band to your room (I was paying for meals) so I could know how much total I'd spent and I could go pay it off with my giftcards!

I believe it now does show credits. You need to have the latest updated version of the app. I haven't used it for dining program yet, but it was super handy the last time I went because it show you all the charges made by magic band to your room (I was paying for meals) so I could know how much total I'd spent and I could go pay it off with my giftcards!

Oh wow awesome!!! I love that it shows even your purchases with the magic band. When we went last march 2017 it didnt show any of that. Thanks so much for the info!!

Still stalking for the end of nov through dec 3,4 or 5. I think pop warner week is messing it up! Glad I got sports Tuesday morning. 2 days of checking and No values have been available.

something they added during our Jan visit was the ability to pre-order and use DP credits. It was great!! We saved a lot of time as we sat by the water and decided what we wanted at Pecos Bills, clicked ‘we are here’ and within a few minutes received notification that our order was ready. Walked in to the restaurant to see crazy lines of people at every register but skipped them all and just walked up and picked up our order! We’ll use that again for sure!!

It does??? The app shows dining credits and purchases? That is so awesome!

something they added during our Jan visit was the ability to pre-order and use DP credits. It was great!! We saved a lot of time as we sat by the water and decided what we wanted at Pecos Bills, clicked ‘we are here’ and within a few minutes received notification that our order was ready. Walked in to the restaurant to see crazy lines of people at every register but skipped them all and just walked up and picked up our order! We’ll use that again for sure!!
Wow, incredibly cool!

I will for sure!!

I am planning on upgrading our tickets to APs also. I have done this in the past with zero problems.

They could only offer FD as a BB offer if they wish but what I'm saying is that for the past number of years Disney has offered a FD BB for guests at their resorts mid-Aug through September for the following year. IF they offer a FD BB this year, it bodes much better for them also offering a General Public FD offer next spring. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying it MAY happen.

In turn, if the new BB that comes out in August is something other than FD then personally I wouldn't hold out much hope for a FD offer next year.

Again, just anticipating what might happen, not what will happen.

You're not quite understanding how booking 2 rooms works. When you book 2 rooms you must book 1 adult in each room and the children are booked in the rooms with them. Each room must be booked with an adult in it.

If you choose for both adults to sleep in 1 room and only minor children in the other, that is the parent's choice as you are not sleeping in the room you booked to sleep in therefore it's your choice not something Disney forced you to do.
I see what you mean. If they don't even offer FD BB this fall then it is all gone! I hope not!

Well I already had successfully updated an existing reservation for early September to add Free Dining (QS upgraded to DDP). 10 nights, 9-day hopper, and MNSSHP. Staying at Pop Century. Trip with daughter. Packed full with days in the parks. Fast paced with lots of planned ADRs.

I just booked another trip for the week after Thanksgiving (but before Pop Warner). Wanted to surprise the wife with a more relaxed (slower paced) trip to enjoy all the Christmas decorations, activities, and magic. Will plan some of her favorite ADRs. Just QS booked for now. Probably upgrade later? I couldn't get Pop Century (tried for last 2 days). Ended up at ASMusic. 6 nights, 6-day hopper, and MVMCP.

Would I be better off getting an annual pass for me? How would that affect my 2 trips with 'Free Dining'? Or should I just go with what I got? Will keep trying for Pop Century for second trip.

I just booked another trip for the week after Thanksgiving (but before Pop Warner). Wanted to surprise the wife with a more relaxed (slower paced) trip to enjoy all the Christmas decorations, activities, and magic. Will plan some of her favorite ADRs. Just QS booked for now. Probably upgrade later? I couldn't get Pop Century (tried for last 2 days). Ended up at ASMusic. 6 nights, 6-day hopper, and MVMCP.

Would I be better off getting an annual pass for me? How would that affect my 2 trips with 'Free Dining'? Or should I just go with what I got? Will keep trying for Pop Century for second trip.

You would be able to use the park hopper tickets from the 1st trip to apply to the cost of the Annual Pass. If you want to keep the free dining trip in November than you would be buying a second set of park hopper tickets which you would have to use before they expire, but you could use them if you wanted to renew your AP's next summer. I could crunch the numbers if you want to see the cost for both choices.

Here are some numbers:

Annual pass - $904.10
9 day park hopper - $543.15
6 day park hopper - $511.20
total tickets for two free dining trips - $1,054.35
Annual pass cost $150.25 less than tickets - and they have additional benefits, such as free memory maker and resort, restaurant and merchandise discounts of 10%

The value of the qs dining plan for six days, one person is $314.97. So if you subtract what you would have saved by buying the AP, then your "free dining" is worth $164.72 per person or $329.44 for the two of you for your November trip. Additional discounts from the Annual Pass over the course of the two trips could easily make up for the price difference. For example, dinner at Ohana for 4 adults would be approximately $180. But if you had an AP then the cost would be $162. A resort discount of 10% for a value resort would add to the benefits.

If you think you will be going to WDW a third time, before your annual pass would expire, then I would definitely buy the AP. They are very addictive and it becomes very easy to return to Disney again and agin. ;)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter