• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 Marathon Weekend Hotel Suggestions

DoubleDown7

Mouseketeer
Hello all. My wife and I will be participating in the 2017 Marathon weekend and we are currently discussing the best accommodations for our situation. I will be running the 1/2 on Saturday and she will be running the marathon on Sunday. We plan on leaving New Hampshire Thursday January 5th after school and staying through Monday. My wife and I will also be traveling with our son (11) and daughter (8).

We would like to rent DVC points and we are trying to decide between a monorail resort or an Epcot resort. What do you think is the best home base (hotel) for both spectating (we'll be cheering each other on) and for running? We do plan on using the monorail/bus to cheer each other on. We are less than 11 months out so I'd like to request points soon to try to secure a studio for those four nights. Also any idea as to if we'll even have access to those since the demand, I assume, is high? Any help is greatly appreciated. And good luck to those running this weekend.

With Epcot resorts, spectating during the marathon would be as easy as just walking outside (the course goes by the resorts for miles 24/25). The half would take more effort - wife and kiddos would have to take the race transportation to wherever they wanted to see you, or walk through International Gateway to catch the last mile of the half (assuming IG is open that early, I forget if it is). And you'd both take buses to the starting line.

With a monorail resort, you'd have the benefit of using the monorail to get to the starting line of the race. Both of the courses go by the monorail resorts early (within the first 8 miles).

How many times are you thinking they would see you on the half course, and how many times would you want to see your wife during the marathon? That might help with your decision.

Hello all. My wife and I will be participating in the 2017 Marathon weekend and we are currently discussing the best accommodations for our situation. I will be running the 1/2 on Saturday and she will be running the marathon on Sunday. We plan on leaving New Hampshire Thursday January 5th after school and staying through Monday. My wife and I will also be traveling with our son (11) and daughter (8).

We would like to rent DVC points and we are trying to decide between a monorail resort or an Epcot resort. What do you think is the best home base (hotel) for both spectating (we'll be cheering each other on) and for running? We do plan on using the monorail/bus to cheer each other on. We are less than 11 months out so I'd like to request points soon to try to secure a studio for those four nights. Also any idea as to if we'll even have access to those since the demand, I assume, is high? Any help is greatly appreciated. And good luck to those running this weekend.
I stayed at Beach club this past marathon weekend and loved it. We didn't stay in a DVC room but were in a lagoon view one. The rooms are newly refurbished. I know Yacht club is going to be under refurbishment later this year and Boardwalk was just recently refurbished as well. I can't comment on any MK resorts as I have never stayed at them.

I have no insight on DVC, Epcot vs. Monorail resorts, or spectating; hopefully the other far more knowledgeable posters on the board will be able to help you with those details. Just thought I'd chime in and wish you good luck with your training in the coming year. I've rarely heard a story of someone not having a great time at WDW Marathon Weekend, so the planning and preparation may be a bit daunting but the reward is certainly worth it.

As far as availability...Grand Floridian and Polynesian will be tough to get, since they are the newest DVC resorts. You'd need to rent from someone who owns at either place, and I think that's pretty hard to come by. You'll probably have an easier time with Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk or Beach Club.

My parents and brother have done both Boardwalk and Bay Lake Tower for marathon weekend. They preferred Bay Lake Tower due to the monorail. They found it easier to get to and from the start/finish area on the monorail. That said my parents currently have a two bedroom booked for our family next year, as that's where they own points. They hope to switch it to Bay Lake at the seven month mark.

Thank you everyone for the help. As far as my wife's marathon run is concerned I'd probably see her three times (maybe the TTC (mile 4?), towards the end and maybe somewhere in the middle). At what time do the monorails begin running on race days? Is it running at 2am or so or is just open for spectators later in the morning? Sorry for all the questions.

Barca33...thanks for the support. My wife ran the Princess Half in 2014 and loved it. I am a runner but not a racer. I've never participated in a race but I do run five times a week and have gone on a 13 mile run three times around town last summer. I think I will run a local half sometime in the spring though only to get a better start time for the Disney half. I cannot wait!

Monorails start running early enough for runners to use as transportation to the starting area...so between 3 and 4 AM. TTC is a popular spectating spot.

I stayed at BC for the 2014 Marathon and Poly for this year’s Marathon. As a runner I liked the consistency of having the Monorail for transportation. Admittedly the bus was fine from BC the morning of the run, but for whatever reason, in my mind the monorail allowed me to mentally relax a bit more.

At Poly, Captain Cook’s is 24hr so that was nice the morning of the run as I was able to take care of some nutrition type stuff. I’m not sure if there are any 24hr restaurants at any of the Epcot resorts.

From a cheering perspective, I think it was a wash as far as which was better for getting my wife and kids around. This past year they cheered me on in front of the Poly, but unfortunately the bus to AK didn’t start running until later so they missed me going through there. One other thing to consider is even though the Marathon passes right by the BC it’s at mile 25, so it will likely mean if you decide to watch your wife at that point, you’ll likely miss her at the finish line. I believe for the half it’s a similar scenario.

One cool thing I did like about BC was when the run was over walking back through Epcot to get back to the resort and having people congratulate me. The only downside of that was it’s a long post marathon walk back to the BC, but totally worth it.

Anyway, from purely a running perspective if I had to pick one, I’d say go with the monorail resorts because they are situated earlier along the half and full courses which means you guys can walk out and cheer and then reposition to a different spot on the course and still have time to meet each other at the finish line.

I would love to stay at the Poly, but it's difficult to find anyone with points. I have stayed at BC renting DVC points and loved it...in fact, we already have our reservations for Dopey 2017. The nice thing about the DVC places is that they come with a mini-fridge and you can order groceries to be delivered to your room. By doing this, I am assured of having the appropriate breakfast I need. I never found a problem with the bus transportation from the BC either. We did encounter some issues once at the Boardwalk Villas as the busses kept changing where they were picking people up from. All turned out OK, but it was a little frustrating at the time (and that was in 2013, so I'm sure all is solved now).

My suggestion is that if your #1 priority is getting to/from the races, then monorail is the way to go. I think that you will have a better viewpoint to cheer your wife at the marathon if staying at the Beach Club. You can't go wrong with either...best approach would be to ask for both and whatever you get first, take it!

Following. I'm hoping to do the 10k and it will be my first run Disney event. I'm leaning towards BLT on points for the weekend and switching to a different resort to save money on the rest of the week. We're planning to stay Thursday to the next Saturday.

Following. I'm hoping to do the 10k and it will be my first run Disney event. I'm leaning towards BLT on points for the weekend and switching to a different resort to save money on the rest of the week. We're planning to stay Thursday to the next Saturday.

BLT is a great place to stay, and from what my family has told me is awesome for race weekends. Though from what I heard I don't think the ran the monorail for the 5k and 10k this year, which is a bit of a let down.

There are so many pros and cons to Epcot area resorts vs Monorail resorts - tough to choose. We stayed at BWI for the 2014 PHM, Poly for the 2015 Marathon Weekend, and Poly Villas for the 2016 PHM (it wasn't tough to get a cash reservation at Poly Villas in a standard deluxe studio - they were available at a discount when we booked, and remained available at rack rate up until the last minute - so that may be a possibility.) We've participated in everything from the 5Ks to 10Ks to half marathons to full marathon to kids' races during these weekends, and here's our take:

Poly benefits:
1. Spectating the half and full at TTC and outside Poly - very easy with time for coffee in between those two spots. Then just monorail to the finish for the half, or venture out elsewhere for the full.
2. Captain Cooks - as a previous poster mentioned, it's great to have a 24-hour counter service location. And post-race breakfast burritos are great. And the expanded patio outside of CC's is wonderful - so peaceful.
3. I agree there is something comforting about taking the monorail to the races. Although last weekend, we were holding for traffic because they had five monorails running at once. But it was relaxing. At least last weekend, the monorail ONLY ran for the half marathon - not for the 5K or 10K.
4. Pools are great. The east (quiet) pool is almost finished and it looks spectacular. Lava pool renovations are wonderful. New hot tubs = yay!
5. Trader Sam's for celebrating.
6. Easy transportation for those spending lots of time at Epcot and MK.

Epcot area benefits:
1. Less expensive, depending on discounts available.
2. When you're on the bus, it doesn't take long to get to the start because it's so close.
3. Really easy to hop into Epcot for dinner pre-race and post-race. Also, great pre-race options around the Epcot area and within walking distance (Il Mulino, for example.) Makes it much easier to get a great dinner and go to sleep early.
4. Quiet pool at BWI is one of my favorite on property (very clean, clear hot tub and very relaxing pool) and SAB is a great feature pool.
5. Lobby is less crowded than monorail resorts. Poly lobby is always a zoo on race weekends.
6. Lots of opportunity to walk - to Epcot and to DHS - which I really appreciate pre- and post-race.
7. The runDisney bus isn't bad. It's warm and it's far closer to the finish line than the monorail (which requires a walk and a pass through Epcot bag check.) I like the walk if the weather is nice. But when it's cold, I don't love that walk.

As a runner, I don't really need much family spectator support for the half, but it's nice to see my family at TTC, outside of Poly and at Epcot for the finish. Poly makes half spectating very easy. The marathon is where I rely on the family spectator support more. At an Epcot area resort, family could spectate at the very end of the marathon, but at that point, I'm almost finished and super excited. So I don't need family at that spot as much. I LOVED seeing them at WWOS last year, so in the future, I'm telling them to just give up on all spectating except for WWOS and the finish - and I'm not sure whether it's easier to get there from Poly or Epcot area resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter