2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Thank you!

Registration opens July 12, 2016...1-2 weeks earlier for DVC members and AP holders.

run-disney-calendar-2016-17.jpg

Perfect, thank you! So in the past, has registration filled up before it becomes open to the public, or do you think I will be safe being on the computer at 12pm on the day registration opens?

Perfect, thank you! So in the past, has registration filled up before it becomes open to the public, or do you think I will be safe being on the computer at 12pm on the day registration opens?

Also, have an Active account set up and ready to go BEFORE registration! They have a limited number of spots they sell for DVC members, then once that is full, they have to register with everyone else. If you are registering multiple people it can take a while to get everyone's info in, as you have to register everyone individually... last year there were tales of parties not being able to get everyone in before the registration was filled up. I literally sat with 2 computers registering my husband and I at the same time. The 10K and GSC are the more popular events of the weekend, and tend to sell out first. Though PHM sold out the first day, it was within a couple of hours, not like immediately.

The kids races for this one do sell out quickly, my DD was on the fence and it sold out before she made up her mind.

Also, have an Active account set up and ready to go BEFORE registration! They have a limited number of spots they sell for DVC members, then once that is full, they have to register with everyone else. If you are registering multiple people it can take a while to get everyone's info in, as you have to register everyone individually... last year there were tales of parties not being able to get everyone in before the registration was filled up. I literally sat with 2 computers registering my husband and I at the same time. The 10K and GSC are the more popular events of the weekend, and tend to sell out first. Though PHM sold out the first day, it was within a couple of hours, not like immediately.

The kids races for this one do sell out quickly, my DD was on the fence and it sold out before she made up her mind.

Woot! This is great advice! I'll get our accounts set up ahead of time for sure, and the two computers thing is so smart :thumbsup2 it will just be myself and my husband running, so that works out!! Thank you so much!

I already have my Active account set up for my son, but I'll go ahead and set one up for me too. I think I'll get myself registered for the GSC first, then get him registered for the kids race. My husband will be on baby duty so no running for him!

They set aside a certain amount of slots for the AP/DVC early registration...I have heard it's something like 10% of the total number of bibs that they sell. So you'll see registration "fill" on the early day, but it's only for the early slots. There will still be lots left when regular registration opens on July 12.

Having said that, I would do what @pigletcanrun said and set up your Active.com account ahead of time, and yes - you'll want to be ready right at noon. But if you have an AP or are DVC, definitely give the early registration a shot.

I'm hopeful for this race that unlike what happened with Wine and Dine, if people don't get in through general registration, bibs through travel agents will be a little easier to come by. Even travel agents were sold out for Wine and Dine within the day after the race sold out. It sounds like Acclaim was given a few more bibs during Marathon Weekend, so they still have some.

They set aside a certain amount of slots for the AP/DVC early registration...I have heard it's something like 10% of the total number of bibs that they sell. So you'll see registration "fill" on the early day, but it's only for the early slots. There will still be lots left when regular registration opens on July 12.

Having said that, I would do what @pigletcanrun said and set up your Active.com account ahead of time, and yes - you'll want to be ready right at noon. But if you have an AP or are DVC, definitely give the early registration a shot.

I just set up my Active account!

I'm thinking I want to do the Glass Slipper Challenge. :)

Well...I just deferred my 2016 GSC entry due to injury. So I guess I'm somewhat officially in for 2017. I'll probably sign up for the 5K too.

Last edited:
Woohoo! Glad I could find this thread I've been wanting to do the Glass Slipper Challenge since I found out about it a few years ago and I'm really hoping to make 2017 the year! We've started planning for it and my husband and I would be participating...I think he's more nervous than I am! Neither of us have had a lot of running experience, we started trying to do some after I had weight loss surgery, but I had to go through some medical treatment a while after so we didn't continue. I figure we have a little over a year to go though, so we can make it happen (as long as our budget agrees ).

We're DVC members so I'm hoping we can register with the pre-reg on July 5th! Now a question: does anyone have any recommended training plans or tips for the GSC? I've seen the Jeff Galloway and another (can't recall the name) but I wasn't sure what would be best, coming from a total novice standpoint!

I'm hoping to do it again next year but not sure since it won't fall on my son's winter break! 2016 worked out perfect because he is out of school and we can drop him at grandma's and have a great weekend alone. Next year it falls over my 20th anniversary! I will either have to pull the boy out of school or arrange for the grandparents to come here and take care of getting him to school and doing homework.

We're DVC members so I'm hoping we can register with the pre-reg on July 5th! Now a question: does anyone have any recommended training plans or tips for the GSC? I've seen the Jeff Galloway and another (can't recall the name) but I wasn't sure what would be best, coming from a total novice standpoint!
A couple of thoughts...

1. If you're just starting out, I highly recommend the Couch-to-5K training plan. It has you do run/walk intervals over 8 weeks (I think)...3 runs per week.

2. Once you get through C25K, look for a race in your area that is at least a 10K (6.2 miles). This will help you get some race experience and will give you a time to submit to Disney for your corral placement.

3. People won't agree with me on this, but I'd also recommend doing a half marathon - NOT as part of a challenge - before GSC. might take some of the pressure off going into the challenge already knowing you can do a half.

4. Training plans...obviously Jeff Galloway, like you said. Personally I like to use Hal Higdon training plans, so that's what I will use. Also look into some kind of cross training (strength training, yoga, etc.) to compliment your running.

And before you do any of this...go to a running store and get fitted for running shoes. :)

I also want to add that different training plans work for different people - the best training plan FOR YOU is the one that works with your schedule and that you will stick with. :)

ETA: And as @FFigawi pointed out, the one that your body can handle.

Last edited:
3. People won't agree with me on this, but I'd also recommend doing a half marathon - NOT as part of a challenge - before GSC. might take some of the pressure off going into the challenge already knowing you can do a half.

100 percent this! First Half Marathons are intimidating enough - but with the amount of people at an RD half, it can be downright overwhelming. No sense to stress yourself out about both the distance AND the overall race day experience.

I also want to add that different training plans work for different people - the best training plan FOR YOU is the one that works with your schedule and that you will stick with. :)

So true. I started with Couch-to-5K back when I started running at the end of 2014. For Dopey, I used a hybrid program based on Hal Higdon that I enjoyed. For marathon training for next year, I'm going back to the Higdon plan but will stick with it to the letter instead of altering it. I really enjoy his methodology, and after I read his Marathon book I truly bought in to the plans and what he advises.

Galloway is a great plan for a first timer, because it really helps break down the mileage into shorter chunks and makes the distance seem more "doable", but like with every other plan make sure that you're training your WHOLE body (cross-training, stretching, etc.) and not just building up your legs. Your body will thank you!

And the one that your body can handle. Getting talked into a different plan can have unfortunate consequences, as @Ariel484 knows too well. Learn from her experience and go with what works for you.

And the one that your body can handle. Getting talked into a different plan can have unfortunate consequences, as @Ariel484 knows too well. Learn from her experience and go with what works for you.
:headache: yeah, that too.

Although I should say that I told my doc in great detail about the training plan switch and he didn't seem to think that it caused my injury...but at the same time he didn't seem to love the idea of my using a training plan like that (he's a runner too). So whenever I think I can start up again I will be going back to Higdon/lifting/yoga. It's been a hard lesson to learn and I feel a little stupid over how it has all played out. Oh well.

:headache: yeah, that too.

Although I should say that I told my doc in great detail about the training plan switch and he didn't seem to think that it caused my injury...but at the same time he didn't seem to love the idea of my using a training plan like that (he's a runner too). So whenever I think I can start up again I will be going back to Higdon/lifting/yoga. It's been a hard lesson to learn and I feel a little stupid over how it has all played out. Oh well.

Seriously - there's no reason to feel stupid. You were ready to take your training to the next level and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

I just remember what you told me when I got hurt and was super sad in July - setbacks happen. You just have to get yourself healthy again, revisit and revise your training plan to work for you and meet your goals! Deferral sucks, but it's just one small roadblock in a long, happy, healthy life.

Yeah, what @Keels said. Don't feel stupid or beat yourself up. You gave it a shot, tried something that didn't work, and now you're resetting your plan and your goals. Nothing wrong with that.

Can't wait for this event next year! I haven't done a challenge in a few years, let alone a half marathon in a few years so it will be nice to get back into the rhythm of things. I've done a few PHM in the past and each one has been memorable, for good and bad reasons so it'll be interesting to see what happens next year!

And on training plans...for example if you find an eight week plan, start it ten weeks out. I always like to add a two week cushion to any plan as life and the holidays WILL get in the way and maybe a cold or a sick child. You can always adjust near the race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter