2017-18 NHL Playoffs—all welcome

Does Cleveland have an AHL minor league team?

I'm guessing you're too young to remember the short lived Cleveland Barons of the NHL. Formerly the California Golden Seals, they moved to Cleveland (Richfield Coliseum) for two years, 1976-78, then merged with the Minnesota North Stars.

Need a score card to figure out some teams they've moved so much.

Sharks won 8-1 tp go up 3-0 in the series, but the last 10 minutes were unfortunate. I wonder what Getzlaf said to the officials to get himself tossed.
Something not approved for the Dis.

Will be nice if the Ducks get swept..a little payback for when they swept us.

Need a score card to figure out some teams they've moved so much.

I suppose the NJ Devils are the champions of that. Kansas City Scouts>Colorado Rockies>New Jersey Devils.

Carolina Hurricanes. Started in Boston as the New England Whalers of the old World Hockey Association. Moved to Hartford, CT. Had to relocate to Springfield, MA for several years when the roof of the Hartford Civic Center collapsed. Returned to Hartford. Moved to Greensboro, NC for two seasons. Finally moved to Raleigh, NC.

And that old WHA was notorious for frequent franchise moves and relocations.

A scorecard is really needed for the NHL arenas. Some of them are on their third or fourth names since they opened.

A scorecard is really needed for the NHL arenas. Some of them are on their third or fourth names since they opened.

Naming rights. Sigh. San Jose’s is on their fourth name. It was really confusing when they were named the Compaq Center (the same name as Houston’s arena).

However, the Sharks played their first two seasons at the Cow Palace near San Francisco. NHL players were actually enjoying it because they heard it was like some of the old-school barns in the pre-expansion days of the NHL.

Naming rights. Sigh. San Jose’s is on their fourth name. It was really confusing when they were named the Compaq Center (the same name as Houston’s arena).

However, the Sharks played their first two seasons at the Cow Palace near San Francisco. NHL players were actually enjoying it because they heard it was like some of the old-school barns in the pre-expansion days of the NHL.

I went to the Shark's third or fourth home game at the Cow Palace in October 1991. It had a certain charm to it. Finally made it to a game in San Jose about 2007 but I can't recall what the arena was named at that point.

I credit the Sharks victory with their rally towels. If you can utilize Duck Hunt, you have my vote.

Rough night for the B's last night. The Leafs definitely brought their A-game and Anderson channeled his inner Tim Thomas with some of his saves last night. The genie is out of the bottle. Matthews has his 1st goal under his belt and it could be just the motivation he needed to start his highlight reel.

Game 4 is on Thur.

Let's go Bruins.

I went to the Shark's third or fourth home game at the Cow Palace in October 1991. It had a certain charm to it. Finally made it to a game in San Jose about 2007 but I can't recall what the arena was named at that point.

HP Pavilion in 2007. Some people just call it the "sap center" now instead of spelling out S-A-P.

I've only been to the Cow Palace once. Or at least once that I remember. It was for a Cal-Arizona college basketball game. Man that place felt old and that was 20 years ago. Some people were telling me that they went to the previous game there (Cal-UCLA) and they forgot to turn on the heat before the game.

My dad says that he went to the Cow Palace to see the Warriors in the 1975 NBA Championships. He said he just bought at ticket at the ticket window and the game didn't even come close to selling out. They couldn't play in Oakland because they'd scheduled the Ice Capades.

I credit the Sharks victory with their rally towels. If you can utilize Duck Hunt, you have my vote.

I wonder if someone could sneak in a roast duck like a Wings fan might sneak in an octopus. I remember seeing video a visiting fan took when he went to a football game at Oregon, asking if anyone wanted to sample a Chinese-style roast duck. I've actually eaten duck pregame during a Cal-Oregon basketball game. Even asked an Oregon fan if he wanted any. The answer was "I'm not a cannibal".

HP Pavilion in 2007. Some people just call it the "sap center" now instead of spelling out S-A-P.

I've only been to the Cow Palace once. Or at least once that I remember. It was for a Cal-Arizona college basketball game. Man that place felt old and that was 20 years ago. Some people were telling me that they went to the previous game there (Cal-UCLA) and they forgot to turn on the heat before the game.

My dad says that he went to the Cow Palace to see the Warriors in the 1975 NBA Championships. He said he just bought at ticket at the ticket window and the game didn't even come close to selling out. They couldn't play in Oakland because they'd scheduled the Ice Capades.

I never knew the Warriors had to play at Cow Palace because of the Ice Capades. Seems like a bad decision by the management of the Oakland Coliseum to schedule another week long event during playoff season. Then again perhaps they never expected the Warriors (or Golden Seals) to make the playoffs.

The Ringling Bros. circus was often scheduled into Madison Square Garden in New York during late April-early May. Whenever the Knicks or Rangers had a home playoff game, the circus was cancelled for that day/night. Maybe the Ice Capades contract prohibited such an arrangement.

Love seeing the Sharks up 3-0 in the series! Here's hoping they can pull off a sweep of the Ducks on Wednesday!

I never knew the Warriors had to play at Cow Palace because of the Ice Capades. Seems like a bad decision by the management of the Oakland Coliseum to schedule another week long event during playoff season. Then again perhaps they never expected the Warriors (or Golden Seals) to make the playoffs.

The Ringling Bros. circus was often scheduled into Madison Square Garden in New York during late April-early May. Whenever the Knicks or Rangers had a home playoff game, the circus was cancelled for that day/night. Maybe the Ice Capades contract prohibited such an arrangement.

OK - it was the Ice Follies. Apparently the Warriors were so convinced that they weren't going to make it to the NBA Finals that they didn't clear it from the schedule. If it had gone to 6 games they would have been back in Oakland. The Cow Palace was of course their home facility when they were the San Francisco Warriors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/...-home-court-advantage-to-the-ice-follies.html
https://blog.sfgate.com/thebigevent/2015/06/02/did-the-1975-warriors-get-bumped-by-the-ice-follies/

Screen-Shot-2015-06-01-at-4.00.49-PM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2015-05-31-at-7.46.54-AM.jpg

OK - it was the Ice Follies. Apparently the Warriors were so convinced that they weren't going to make it to the NBA Finals that they didn't clear it from the schedule. If it had gone to 6 games they would have been back in Oakland. The Cow Palace was of course their home facility when they were the San Francisco Warriors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/...-home-court-advantage-to-the-ice-follies.html
https://blog.sfgate.com/thebigevent/2015/06/02/did-the-1975-warriors-get-bumped-by-the-ice-follies/

Screen-Shot-2015-06-01-at-4.00.49-PM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2015-05-31-at-7.46.54-AM.jpg

Thanks for the links. I'm always interested in reading about such odd sports scheduling matters.

Special thanks for the Ice Follies ad. It confirmed what I was thinking, that 1972 Olympic bronze medalist Janet Lynn was the featured performer. At first I thought Dorothy Hamill, but she competed in the 1976 Olympics and wouldn't have been skating professionally before that.

I'm a Flyers fan but don't expect them to advance over the Penguins.

"My" ideal final: Toronto vs. Winnipeg......guaranteed first Canadian Stanley Cup victory since 1993.

I'm a Flyers fan but don't expect them to advance over the Penguins.

"My" ideal final: Toronto vs. Winnipeg......guaranteed first Canadian Stanley Cup victory since 1993.

Toronto needs to step it up for that to be a possibility.

So excited that it’s game day!!!

Thanks for the links. I'm always interested in reading about such odd sports scheduling matters.

Special thanks for the Ice Follies ad. It confirmed what I was thinking, that 1972 Olympic bronze medalist Janet Lynn was the featured performer. At first I thought Dorothy Hamill, but she competed in the 1976 Olympics and wouldn't have been skating professionally before that.

I heard that the AHL team in Cleveland has rescheduled before when the Cavaliers asked them for a better time slot for the postseason. However, they have the same ownership.

I guess the thing I was thinking was that they could have everything changed in 3 hours. But there would be no way they would schedule an NBA championship game for a weekday afternoon, nor move a weekday ice show to the afternoon.

I know of several times in years gone by that NHL or NBA teams had to reschedule a playoff game because of concerts or other one day events at their arenas, but I never heard of the bulk of a series being moved to another arena.

Back in the mid 1970's the Philadelphia Flyers had to play a day later than the NHL preferred because of a Tony Orlando and Dawn concert. I think the Chicago Blackhawks had to play a "home" playoff game in Nassau Coliseum on Long Island because Chicago Stadium was unavailable and the Islanders refused to changed dates.

I know of several times in years gone by that NHL or NBA teams had to reschedule a playoff game because of concerts or other one day events at their arenas, but I never heard of the bulk of a series being moved to another arena.

Back in the mid 1970's the Philadelphia Flyers had to play a day later than the NHL preferred because of a Tony Orlando and Dawn concert. I think the Chicago Blackhawks had to play a "home" playoff game in Nassau Coliseum on Long Island because Chicago Stadium was unavailable and the Islanders refused to changed dates.

Our AHL team (Manitoba Moose) is also in the playoffs so our barn will be a busy place for the next while. We don’t have another arena that could house a playoff crowd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter