2008 DDP discussion, questions, rants and vents

Well... they won't be seeing very much of mine in the future. The allure is gone and with it went the trap of staying on property to achieve it. :sad1:

Disney is playing the odds. They know there are many, many folks who are like me when I go to Disney, I want to stay at Disney. Resort occupency at disney has been doing really well, I think they are willing to take the small hit from a few people who will move offsite.

I have read the comments about the 2008 contracts with the dining locations but why would they have more locations under the Disney Dining Plan then they do under the Disney Deluxe Plan? It's not the same contract?

And I'm sorry but why did they even bother to drop $1.00 off the price of the Disney Dining Plan. They really must think that we are pretty gullible. They take away the gratuity (18% of the bill) and the appetizer (up to $13.00 in some cases) and throw a bone to us of $1.00.

I wouldn't take pricing decisions so personally. They aren't dropping the price just for previous guests -- they're dropping the price for all guests.

They evidently feel that that is the best price, based on economic factors, for what they're offering.

Another unhappy former DDP lover...

It was too much food.....BUT....
Taking away the TIP AND APPETIZER...seems very aggressive...

With Disney raising their ticket prices and changing the DDP....

They must be making money hand over fist.....and probably
want to reduce crowds while taking the same money in.:confused3

I guess I will try only DDE card next time.
Kerri

They take away the gratuity (18% of the bill) and the appetizer (up to $13.00 in some cases) and throw a bone to us of $1.00.
Interesting point. Few, if any, desserts come even close to that price – it’s apparently much more cost-effective for Disney to remove the appetizer from the Basic Dining Plan.
Also, by removing the gratuity, Disney benefits in at least two ways: first, Disney removes the burden (cost) from itself; and second, instead of trying to “work the plan”, now that Guests will be responsible for the tip, they/we are likely to make our selections based on their effect on our wallets.

The reaction that I am seing from this board is EXACTLY what I believe Disney intended. I was at Disney the last week in May, and before that, I was there April '06. The difference in the dining experiences were night and day.

First of all, I can remember how easy it was to get ADRs in 2006. I remembered telling other consumers when they saw our food choices the "Magic" of the DDP. Many people "ooo'd" and "ahhh'd" and promised to go on the DDP the next time. I was simply amazed at how many people had no idea what the DDP was, and life was good.:thumbsup2

Fast forward to May 2007, and it was totally different. The DDP was being taken advantage of to a point where there was literally a line for folks who had ADRs. A long line. ANd for those who had no ADRs? There was simply no room at the inn. You were stuck eating a burger and fries for dinner at a counter service somewhere. And you had an average 15 minute wait time before you sat down even with an ADR.:sad2:

Oh, and in 2006, the service was GREAT! I was drinking Cokes, and I was racing with one server to see if I could finish my Coke before he came around with another one. He beat me every time! Our servers were right in our face, and we were just thrilled!:yay:

2007? Our server came by about three times total at mostly all of our TS meals. The service was just not as good as in 2006.:confused3

So, I think that Disney WANTS some people to make decisions to go offsite to eat. Of course, their best case scenario is for some patrons to pay inside the park without the DDP. But they know many will go offsite to a hotel, and frolic around International Blvd. to find a good place to eat. That's OK with Disney. They raised their rates for tickets, so they'll make their money...:smickey:

The reaction that I am seing from this board is EXACTLY what I believe Disney intended. I was at Disney the last week in May, and before that, I was there April '06. The difference in the dining experiences were night and day.

First of all, I can remember how easy it was to get ADRs in 2006. I remembered telling other consumers when they saw our food choices the "Magic" of the DDP. Many people "ooo'd" and "ahhh'd" and promised to go on the DDP the next time. I was simply amazed at how many people had no idea what the DDP was, and life was good.:thumbsup2

Fast forward to May 2007, and it was totally different. The DDP was being taken advantage of to a point where there was literally a line for folks who had ADRs. A long line. ANd for those who had no ADRs? There was simply no room at the inn. You were stuck eating a burger and fries for dinner at a counter service somewhere. And you had an average 15 minute wait time before you sat down even with an ADR.:sad2:

Oh, and in 2006, the service was GREAT! I was drinking Cokes, and I was racing with one server to see if I could finish my Coke before he came around with another one. He beat me every time! Our servers were right in our face, and we were just thrilled!:yay:

2007? Our server came by about three times total at mostly all of our TS meals. The service was just not as good as in 2006.:confused3

So, I think that Disney WANTS some people to make decisions to go offsite to eat. Of course, their best case scenario is for some patrons to pay inside the park without the DDP. But they know many will go offsite to a hotel, and frolic around International Blvd. to find a good place to eat. That's OK with Disney. They raised their rates for tickets, so they'll make their money...:smickey:

Couldn't have said it better myself. We have never done DDP because I felt it was too much food. Instead we go with DDE because we can get 20 percent off our entire bill at table service/buffet restaurants. I will be much happier that it will hopefully not be such a planning nightmare to get dining reservations and that those poor people who don't know they had to call 6 months in advance might actually get into a restaurant when they get to a park. Plus, I hope that service will get better and the wait times will decrease. I am actually more inclined to go back to WDW now and look forward to dining there in 2008.

I had really hoped this would be an option. They may still listen and offer substitutions informally, I guess time will tell on that. I have no idea where one would send a suggestion, but I think the fact that many people don't eat sweets is a very valid consideration. We'll have a couple of diabetics with us on our next trip, as well as some folks who do weight watchers and like to choose salads or soups as starters, and we had planned to do the DDP, but it will be worth nothing to those who can't/don't eat desserts. I can't imagine that they didn't consider this, with the overall trend toward healthier eating; the only thing left to think is that they must be actually wanting to drastically reduce the number of people who use the plan in 08.

I have friends with SEVERE food allergies. They have never had a problem getting "desert" at Disney. They tell Disney when they make the reservation and again when they check in.

I think that Jim on this board has made the point several times that part of this is INCREASING turnover and DECREASING sharing. If you get to pick either appetizer or Desert one of you will probably pick appetizer and one desert which means your "time to eat" did not decrease. And then a lot of the "sharing" threads were "order a big appetizer" driven.

And for the "Disney was making money hand over fist" on the old plan theory....

Old Plan OOP cost to you $38.99

Tax Paid to Goverment approx. $2.56

Cash left for Disney to feed you $36.43

Dinner at Le Cellier (using the "highest price options" since the DIS board goal seems to be "maximium" benefit) based on menu prices $47.97

Tip 18% $8.63. (Based on what I have read servers and staff are getting most of this.

So out of your $38.99 Disney has to part with CASH to servers and govermental authorities of $11. Leaving around $28 to feed you a CS meal, a TS meal and a snack.

Since there is the "$4" trend. Figure lots of folks were using that. Now grocery store markup is generally less then 10%, but since it's Disney I assumed they get a 25% markup. (Kind of generous on my part since they are buying "prepackaged" and "Prepriced") So you got the $4 box of donuts as your snack. Lets say Disney had to pay $3 for that. Disney now has $25 to feed you a TS and CS meal.

Even if LeCellier was to get credit for the ENTIRE remaining $25, the "discount" on your meal is 48%.

Basically out of the money you paid Disney, they probably cleared somewhere between $25 to $30 depending on WHERE your snack came from and how much you consumed at dinner (which bumps up the tip)

Out of that they have to (1) Pay staff and that include benefits etc. (2) buy food (3) and have a reserve for fixing up the joint.

Now, for those resturants NOT managed by Disney, I find it very hard to believe that they want to give you a 50% discount on cost so my bet is that Disney "paid" them to participate. Another cost. (And I also bet they were putting pressure on the program for more cash LOL!)

Sorry, as an accountant who has worked for a VERY large company dealing with food supplies, payroll etc. I can't make the math work. It only works as a "loss leader" like the "dollar spot" at Target. Get them in the door and hope they make it up someplace else. Considering the VOLUME of bookings this summer, I bet Disney doesn't NEED the loss leader!

WOW... really glad we got the DDE.

The value of the DDP has gone down about $20 - that should cover quite a few of those "shared burger" losses. :sad2:

Tourism is back and Disney doesn't have to bend over backwards to fill rooms anymore. Appy's gone, tips are gone, ticket prices have gone up, and we still don't know if they're going to charge premium prices for weekend nights as well. Chef Mickey's is now $23 for breakfast.

I think our trips will be shorter this upcoming year and we'll be visiting SeaWorld again (not yet disgusted enough to give US another try though! :rotfl: ).

How long until they start charging for DME ??

Yep! I agree! Yippee Yippee Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will drastically cut down on the amount of people using the DDP, and create a better dining experience for all of us!

The price increase is VERY aggressive I think, even for WDW, so that means that they felt there were a) too many people on the plan, and b) That they could afford to jack up the prices enough to get some quality and profit back in their food service.

I think that the overboard reaction of the DDPers (working the plan to the max, sharing one meal between two diners, etc.) ruined it for everyone, and frankly, all the tip sharing here helped speed the death of the formerly good deal (i.e. CHEAP) that the DDP used to be.

...I have read on these boards about people 'abusing' the DDP. If you have a family set limit , how could this be done? My family has NEVER been on this plan. Should I consider it next year...seems there is a lot of negativeness for 08?:confused3 :scared1:

Tourism is back and Disney doesn't have to bend over backwards to fill rooms anymore. Appy's gone, tips are gone, ticket prices have gone up, and we still don't know if they're going to charge premium prices for weekend nights as well. Chef Mickey's is now $23 for breakfast.

I think our trips will be shorter this upcoming year and we'll be visiting SeaWorld again (not yet disgusted enough to give US another try though! :rotfl: ).

How long until they start charging for DME ??

The "rumored" preimum prices for weekends have "partially occured" Go read the Codes and Rates board. (Weekend prices are up for SOME levels of hotels on SOME seasons, it's not across the board by any means!)

What about the disparity between the dining locations of the two plans? You pay more for the deluxe plan, get more but don’t have the options that you do on the cheaper plan. Is that a brochure mistake? I looked at both for 2008 and it's like night and day.

...I have read on these boards about people 'abusing' the DDP. If you have a family set limit , how could this be done? My family has NEVER been on this plan. Should I consider it next year...seems there is a lot of negativeness for 08?:confused3 :scared1:

Disney has clamped down on some of the biggest abuses as follows

1. You used to be able to pay for a child credit ($12?) and get ADULT meals at TS resturants so folks would pay cash for thier kids meals and use the "cheap" TS credit to eat more TS meals.

2. The first time they did free dining folks "invented" family members staying with them to get more credits. Now during free dining EVERYONE has to be present at check in.

The "abuses" that you see left are not IMHO true abuses. It's things like sharing all your meals so you can eat at twice as many resturants. Is is an abuse? Probably, but it's not like it's illegal or anything. :rotfl:

I think the other thing that has occured is this "maximum" value. People order food and things they don't really "want" beacause "you get the best value" if you order the steak instead of the chicken, or they get the desert and eat one bite, but "it's free" (Yeah and it's wasted!)

As said by a couple of people before, Disney is a large corporation who is, in the end, interested in profits. The tourism and travel market took a substantial hit in the post-9/11 era and Disney needed to put out some lures to get people to continue to travel on vacations. This can be seen through the numerous promotions they have given out in the past several years. Now since that market is beginning to grow again, Disney sees that the lures are no longer needed and is cutting back on its promotions. Not to mention, the degrading effect the DDP has resulted in, which I'm sure Disney is trying to alleviate with the new Dining Plan packages.

Disney has clamped down on some of the biggest abuses as follows

1. You used to be able to pay for a child credit ($12?) and get ADULT meals at TS resturants so folks would pay cash for thier kids meals and use the "cheap" TS credit to eat more TS meals.

2. The first time they did free dining folks "invented" family members staying with them to get more credits. Now during free dining EVERYONE has to be present at check in.

The "abuses" that you see left are not IMHO true abuses. It's things like sharing all your meals so you can eat at twice as many resturants. Is is an abuse? Probably, but it's not like it's illegal or anything. :rotfl:

I think the other thing that has occured is this "maximum" value. People order food and things they don't really "want" beacause "you get the best value" if you order the steak instead of the chicken, or they get the desert and eat one bite, but "it's free" (Yeah and it's wasted!)

Hmmm....I am TOO naive to even think of these 'clever' ways around the system. Can't believe what one can come up with! :eek: I'll leave it just there :rotfl:

The "rumored" preimum prices for weekends have "partially occured" Go read the Codes and Rates board. (Weekend prices are up for SOME levels of hotels on SOME seasons, it's not across the board by any means!)

Thanks for the info. I've been looking up prices online these past few days but didn't see any premium priced nights. That explains why.

Has anyone asked what happens if we have part of our trip in 2007 and the second part in 2008? We're going for NYE and I have the DDP added to our ressie...

Also, noticed Yak & Yeti not on 2008 plan (as speculated) but neither is San Angel???

Donald's Safari is, wonder when they'll start taking ADRs? :confused3

Has anyone asked what happens if we have part of our trip in 2007 and the second part in 2008? We're going for NYE and I have the DDP added to our ressie...

Also, noticed Yak & Yeti not on 2008 plan (as speculated) but neither is San Angel???

Most of the non-Disney managed resturants are not yet on the plan. This happened last year. I would wait a month before I paniced. (Yak & Yeti may not be on it. I don't think any of the other resturants this group manages are on it, but I expect the Epcot resturants will return to the fold.... I figure they are "putting the squeeze" on Disney LOL!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter