• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2005 celebration rumors

toefungus

Mouseketeer
wdwmagic.com is reporting that Alien Encounter, and the MK "classics" will be getting a revamp for 2005. That is the same rumor for Disneyland that the classic attrations will be re-done for the 50 years celebration in 2005. Now there was a rumor that there will be a world wide celebration of theme parks for Disneyland's 50th anniversary including wdw. So is this a sign that it's going to happen? :confused:

Okay all you lawyers out there – the following are nothing but rumors. Believe in them as you will….

Instead of a 50th Anniversary for Disneyland, the current plan is for a worldwide “50 Years of Disney Vacation Magic” (working title) celebration with its focus at Walt Disney World. This “event” will be mostly marketing with little actual done in terms of new attractions or permanent changes.

At Disneyland, the rumored “re-imagination” of several E-ticket rides has been killed. In its place, the rides will be repainted and cleaned similar to the process that ‘Pirates’, the ‘Haunted Mansion’ and ‘Small World’ have gone through. Many people consider this move simply restoring the rides to their former state and repairing the massive damage caused by a decade of under funded maintenance. The Carousel was in such sorry shape that the entire structure was scrapped and it’s being completing rebuilt. Other rumors claim the track at ‘Space Mountain’ requires so many repairs that it many be cost effective to replace large sections of it. As budget permits, some new effects may be added to attractions such as when WDI added in some discarded ‘World of Motion’ figures into Disneyland’s ‘Pirates’ a couple years ago. The “new” at Disneyland will actually be a WDW’s current MK parade. So instead of celebrating 100th Years of Walt, those same exact snow globes will be celebrating 50 Years of Disney Theme Parks.

Other work at Disneyland will continue, but at the direction of the new office of safety. The fort on Tom Sawyer’s Island is rumored scheduled for demolition after the first of the year if not sooner. A decade without maintenance has left the wood rotted and serious "safety hazards" like stairs, dirt and caves have been deemed an unacceptable risk after two generations of childern have somehow survived. The ‘Matterhorn’ has already started some massive surgery to increase the clearance between ride vehicles and the rock work (another sudden discover after forty years) and much of the rock work on Tom Sawyer’s Island will also be eliminated (rumor is that nothing will move and there will be nothing left to climb on). There’s another rumor that the dirt paths on the island will be replaced with the rubberized padding found on playgrounds. It’s possible some sort of attraction may be approved for empty space where the fort had been, but nothing is certain. Oh, and air gates are supposed to be installed on every attraction with a moving vehicle.

There are fewer rumors about what will happen at the WDW “celebration”. It’s likely that any improved effects for the Disneyland attractions will be retrofitted at WDW (such as the mirror effect from the clone of ‘Tower of Terror’ currently under construction at California Adventure). It’s also possible that effects developed for DisneySea may make their way stateside, such as the “fireball” effect from ‘Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull’. Personally, I would really like to have the amazing musically score from the Paris version of the ‘Haunted Mansion’ installed. The Company feels that marketing events such as the 25th Anniversary and the Millennium Celebration work “best” for WDW. They require almost nothing in terms of capital outlay and they seem to increase attendance. The rumors are that the 50 Years event will follow exactly the same plan.

So WDW will likely see a few replacement parades, several static exhibits and a lot of hype. There will be plenty of merchandise too.

It needs to noted, however, that everyone expects a huge management change very shortly. Many people hope that the current marketing plans will die along with the current régime. There are a lot of very interesting ideas tucked inside drawers all over Glendale and Anaheim waiting for the day when it’s safe to dream again.

So right now, no one is really sure what will we’ll see on July 17, 2005.

Sad that the event wont be celebrated with anything special like some tyep of "e" type attraction, instead they will finally do some long needed maintence. Doesnt sound like it is giving people a special reason to come and fork over there money.
AV-Any idea how long Matterhorn will be down at DL???

I would be happy if another marketing event of the quality of the Millenium Celebration came in. I could live with that.

In fact next year they could have done a marketing event tying in with the opening of Mission Space along with suitable demos in Innoventions. Lets face....space is as much about explosions & light as travel...Disney could do a lot with space as a theme. Plus what a wonderful distraction from the news.

AV -- If what you say is true, that's very disappointing.

If DL was my "home" park, I think I'd be particularly upset. I mean, 50 years is a big deal IMHO.

I also think people are getting a bit tired of all these celebrations at WDW. It no longer seems like anything special when they have one every year.

Lisa:smooth:

50 years IS a BIG deal and demands a big, real celebration- and not just a lot of marketing hype like the current celebration.

If Disney cheapens this by making the focus WDW instead of Disneyland, here is one Disney fan (and DVC owner) who will not go to any Disney park during the extent of the celebration.

When you put on a pr campaign every 1 1/2 yrs and dont base it on something substantial it gets watered down and the current one's failure is a example of it.

Originally posted by wdw4us2
If DL was my "home" park, I think I'd be particularly upset. I mean, 50 years is a big deal IMHO.
Disneyland is my "home" park and when I first heard these rumors (several months) ago, it made me very upset. I mean COME ON!!! first they celebrate Walts 100th "birthday" at WDW. Now they want to take DISNEYLANDS birthday and celebrate it at WDW too??? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

I just have to say that I totally agree with Bob O and wdw4us2 when they say that they're/we're getting tired of Disney coming up with something to celebrate every year. It does take away from the true celebrations. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking this way!

Disney doesnt care about DL as much because they can make more money at DL!!! They have more hotel rooms to fill as wdw son they neglect DL, escpecially after the DCA debacle.

Darn it... what about making Disneyland the focal point of the 50 year celebration and make it so spectacular that people will want and come experience the DLR, in addition to WDW, despite DCA's underperformance.

Cynthia Harris must be beside herself, if this is true.

It makes me think this is some kind of punishment for DCA's underperformance.

Originally posted by TheLionKing
Darn it... what about making Disneyland the focal point of the 50 year celebration and make it so spectacular that people will want and come experience the DLR
This is what I wonder too...if they want to entice people to visit DLR this could be the way to do it.

Darn it... what about making Disneyland the focal point of the 50 year celebration and make it so spectacular that people will want and come experience the DLR, in addition to WDW, despite DCA's underperformance.

That's what they're going to do. There has been nothing major announced for Disneyland's 50th yet. Everthing that floating around are RUMORS. I know that the will make DL's 50th an amazing celebration which will not ot be missed.

Well yes, these are all rumors about plans – everything is subject to change.

But ask yourself – the “celebration” of Walt Disney’s 100th Birthday had no events at Disneyland, resulted in the removal of half of the exhibits about Walt Disney from Disneyland (with no plans to ever return them), the only new attraction that even mentions Walt Disney is a spare tape of a movie made for WDW and stuffed (very last minute) in a park that Walt Disney had nothing to do with. Disneyland recived no new parades, no new pin tradigin strands, no giant "Icons for Idiots" hat, nothing.

And Disneyland was Walt’s favorite project and the only park that he actually saw.

So what’s so unbelievable that The Company would choose to celebrate 50 Years of Parks instead of 50 Years of Disneyland – and focus the celebration on the place that generates the most money? I’m afraid, Mr. Fungus, that you’re under that mistaken impression that the current management actually cares about things like history. They don’t; they care about plush sales.

Personally, I hope things turn out different and that before too long The Company is guided people with talent, skill, dedication and pride again. Until then, the “celebration” of Disneyland’s 50th Anniversary is going to be little more than just another opportunity to buy overpriced pins.

Oh, and in that other park, the film about the history of California gives more screen time to Sonny Bono than it gives to Walt Disney.

Recent history points to AV's comments becoming reality, unless of course, a regime change occurs.

(However, wasn't it originally stated that Walt's stuff would be returned to DL, only that's since been reversed?)

On another note, Mickey's 75th is next year. Is that going to be completely ignored? Maybe it'll just be a "Mickey through the Ages" line of plush? (which has already been done by the way...I purchased a Steamboat Willie Mickey plush in 2000).

You would think that DL would get a major push with the upcoming 50th anniversy, being that it was Walts park and his original idea and market it that way, but it seems disney is more concerned with forgetting his legacy that promoting it!!
But imho since wdw has more hotel rooms they will always get the best while DL plays second fiddle which is wrong and doesnt help incrase the amount of people who should visit DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter