20 weeks pregnant???

mrsminniemouse

DIS Veteran
Hi! I recently found out I am expecting my second baby. Haven't told anyone but DH yet as I am a bit superstitious of going 'public' until the first scan.

I was hoping some of you could offer advice or share experience regarding travelling to WDW while pregnant.

We are thinking of travelling late Feb/early March. We have passes to Seaworld and Universal plus Disney PAPS. We own DVC so accomodation would not cost us. DD turns 3 next May so this would her last trip without paying entry to the parks. We are thinking of using First Choice as their Premium Cabin is reasonably priced and we would have more space.

Last pregnancy I was fine and well. At 20 weeks I was fatter than usual but fine! We won't need to go mad in the parks as we have seen it all many times, so we could take it quite slow. Plus I could buy great maternity clothes there!!!!

Should we just book and go? Am I mad to book before I have even had a scan?

Anyone travelled to WDW at a similar stage of pregnancy? Shall I just book and hope for the best? Or not go this year? With baby due in July I need to travel early in the year or not at all really. We were tempted to wait until December but with a 3 year old and a 4 month old baby it seems like hard work. We took DD at 6 months but as it was just her it was fine. Not sure about going with two little people until the baby is a bit older...

Any comments or advice? Go on, talk me into it!

Mandy ::MinnieMo

Hi Mandy :)

I went this year when I was 9 weeks pregnant, just took it easy, lots of rest. Luckily travelling to WDW made my morning sickness disappear :)

I vote to go :bounce:

PS. CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

I travelled to wdw at 16 weeks and found I got tired very quick but I took it nice and easy and really enjoyed myself.

Congratulations :)

mrsminniemouse said:
Go on, talk me into it!

Happy to!!! :) I'm sure it will work out fine. You obviously don't mind going to WDW and taking it easy, and you have that lovely DVC accomodation to stay in! ;) At 20 weeks you shouldn't feel uncomfortable walking round the parks and, as you say, that will be a lot easier than trying to look after a 4 month old and all their needs, as well as your DD.

I nearly forgot - Congratulations!! :goodvibes

i went to WDW when i was pregnant with DS....we wanted to take DD there one last time on her own (she was 2 years old)....we had a great time and i was fine...
then we went to WDW again right after DS was born (when he was 6 weeks old...)

the first time i was pregnant (with DD), i traveled around the world from the time i was 4.5 months pregnant to when i was 8 months pregnant (i got back home at 8 months)..
we were at Tokyo Disneyland towards the end of the far eastern leg of the trip....when i was about 7 months pregnant....we had a great time....

We went to Disney in LA when I was around 20 weeks pregnant (many moons ago.... :rolleyes: ) and had a great time.
I couldn't go on the 'big rides' but what the heck? We were at Disney ;)

GO FOR IT :earboy2:

Have we managed to talk you into it yet? :goodvibes

one very very very important thing...you must make sure that your travel medical insurance will cover you in the United States if something god forbid goes wrong with the pregnancy.....they might possibly consider it a pre-existing condition and as such not cover it...
check the travel medical policy carefully...

I travelled when I was around 20 weeks pregnant with my first daughter. I seem to remember the only problem was one very hot June day when I felt quite faint whilst queuing for a ride. Shouldn't think it would be too hot in Feb/March - I would say go for it just make sure you drink lots of water and take some breaks so you don't get too tired.

Have a great time whatever you decide.

Tammy

I'd wait for your first scan.. just in case.

Then decide.

My vote is also to go. The weather at that time of year will be comfortable and as long as you keep mobile on the plane and your midwife is happy then why not.
Thank you for sharing such fantastic news with us.
Sending you lots of :wizard:
CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN - Clare ::MinnieMo

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'd run it past your midwife but providing you're sensible, I would imagine you'd be fine.

I'm in exactely the same position as you. I'll be 23 weeks when we travel in January, and we too decided it would be easier to take our daughter (14 months) for a trip on her own before baby comes along. We decided it would be easier than travelling afterwards!
We decided to fly direct with Virgin and have been advised by others on this site that it may be an idea to upgrade to premium economy on return journey which seems a good idea.
I too had the same reservations as you, however having spoken to my midwife and insurance company, I feel very reassured and am now really excited about the trip.
Great point about the maternity wear....hadn't thought of that!!! My husband will be thrilled!!!!!!
One final point, however tempting after a day at the parks, remember to stay out of the hot tubs!

Congratulations :)

Last year we booked to go to Florida for Oct 2004, then after we had booked I found out I was pg with #3!!! and baby was due in Oct!!!! cos we were going with friends we did not want to canx, so we change the flights and went in the June, so I was about 5 mts pg - it was hard work, cos I had 2 other kids as well...but I just took things easy, lots of rest and lots of water!!! no fast rides..but I went on a few slow ones with the kids and we had a fab time...also we had a villa so was nice to use the pool when we got back from the park and the kids were in bed.... so go and enjoy but just take it easy and like the others have said check your insurance..and also were flight socks...

We went back this year (in May) with new addition and had a fab time and I made sure I went on all the fast rides!!!!!

All the best,
Nathalie
xx :sunny:

Thanks everyone for the congratulations and advice.

We have now booked a Star Class Premier flight with First Choice for 25 Feb for 2 weeks. I have read great reviews of their new flights so we are eager to try it out. It is much cheaper than our usual Virgin flights plus we have the upgraded seats and a 7 seater mini van for a reasonable supplement.

Our park passes expire in May and DD turns 3 then so we are pleased to fit this trip in before then. Have already booked Princess Storybook Breakfast and Cinderella's Gala feast for dinner. Might as well book a few buffets so DD can eat free for the last time! Should be cheap trip all round!

I am going to try and book Saratoga Springs tonight! Need to start thinking about more ADRs too!

Anyone been late Feb/early March before? Will it be very cold?

Thanks again,
Mandy ::MinnieMo

mrsminniemouse said:
Anyone been late Feb/early March before? Will it be very cold?

Hi Mandy,

You may get a better response starting a new thread on this - I know of quite a few people that have been at this time so I'm sure someone will be able to help :goodvibes

Karen

OH GO GO GO! I would never pass up a time to wobble around disney world even if it meant we didnt' do everything. That will probably be a nice change. OH AND CONGRATS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!

Hi Mandy - I don't have kids of my own - not yet anyway, but just wanted to say Congratulations. Go with the decision that's right for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter