2 Weeks in Cali Itinerary Help Needed

shaycamp21

DIS Veteran
We will be in California for 2 weeks in August (4-18). It will be myself, DH and our youngest daughter who will be almost 11 when we go. My grandfather lived in California so I spent many of my childhood summers in Southern California visiting and exploring all the attractions. Also, my best friend and her husband lives in San Pedro so DH and I have taken several trips over the years as well, though the last time was in 2016. All this to say this won't be our last trip to California so if we don't get to do or see something we can leave it for another trip. It is the first time however, we are bringing our youngest daughter (our older girls are in their 20's and no longer want to travel with us lol). I am looking for some family friendly ideas for this trip.

So this is what I have planned so far:
08/04 Thurs- am Fly into OAK pick up rental drive to Groveland, we rented a cottage in Pine Mountain Lake to be our base for Yosemite (reviews for the cottage are great but have been reading reviews about how the community itself is not that welcoming to renters so kind of bummed about that).
08/05 Fri - Yosemite (*I've booked the ticketed entry but that's it -- still need to plan what to do & where to go in the park)
08/06 Sat - Yosemite
08/07 Sun- drive to San Jose where we've booked a vacation rental there is pool there so looking to just chill and relax once we check in
*08/08 Mon- Napa or Sonoma looking for family friendly winery ideas (leaning towards Francis Ford Coppola winery or if we can't get a pool time there maybe another winery and some swimming on the Russian River?)
*08/09 Tues- San Francisco -- ( I've been before but not DH or DD--I was thinking of doing one of those hop on hop off bus tours-- we did that in Paris and it was a great way to see all the iconic landmarks )
*08/10 Wed- Monterey (maybe do Aquarium?), Carmel 17 Mile drive (if time) and if it's not too ambitious maybe visiting the Santa Cruz Pier in the late afternoon evening
* doesn't have to be in this order if there are better days for each location
08/11 Thurs- check out drive to Anaheim (ideas for some scenic stops along the way) check in to the Element Anaheim dinner in DTD or City Walk
08/12 - Disneyland Park
08/13- plan on a character breakfast (Goofy's Kitchen or Storytellers) then LA attractions (daughter wants to see Hollywood), Venice Beach
08/14- DCA
08/15- Newport or Laguna Beach
08/16- Disneyland
08/17- maybe some shopping just relaxing at the hotel pool it's DH b-day planning on a dinner at Napa Rose
08/18- return rental (we arranged to drop off our rental at Long Beach Airport) fly home

Does this plan seem doable? Any must do activities/ attractions / great dining we should include? Any advice, suggestions or input would be helpful. Thanks so much.:)

That's very ambitious and there's no reason why you couldn't do all of that if you have the energy and don't mind being on the run most of the time. I have a couple ideas that you may want to look into. My preferences might not be in line with yours, but here a few things you may want to look into.

08/07 Sun- drive to San Jose where we've booked a vacation rental there is pool there so looking to just chill and relax once we check in
San Jose isn't a great area. I don't think you would enjoy hanging out there for a day. There are a couple things you can do/drive to that may make the stop a little better. Henry Cowell Redwoods is a lovely place to walk around and it has a train station that you can book a train ride either up the mountain or down to the pier at Santa Cruz.

Another option is the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose that you take a tour of and you can visit the gardens/grounds as well.

I haven't been to the Mystery Spot, but it's an odd type place that many people go to on road trips. I have some vertigo issues, so it's not an ideal place for me, but the videos look really cool.
*08/08 Mon- Napa or Sonoma looking for family friendly winery ideas (leaning towards Francis Ford Coppola winery or if we can't get a pool time there maybe another winery and some swimming on the Russian River?)
I haven't been to the winery that you mentioned. I've been to several in Napa and Sonoma and I think they would all be super boring for kids. Napa is very hyped and expensive. Sonoma still has free and low cost tastings. Buena Vista Winery in Sonoma was probably my favorite and only because it's a historic location. Overall, I think for the kids, your looking at a long car ride with a boring destination.

Russian River can be fun, but I can't think of any wineries that are close by. How important is going to a winery to you?
*08/10 Wed- Monterey (maybe do Aquarium?), Carmel 17 Mile drive (if time) and if it's not too ambitious maybe visiting the Santa Cruz Pier in the late afternoon evening
To me, the aquarium is overhyped and I prefer the one in Long Beach (Aquarium of the Pacific). I've been to the one in Monterey twice and felt like it was overpriced and a bit of a let down.

The 17 Mile Drive is great if you plan to stop and get out of the car. Bring binoculars and you'll see sea otters and other stuff. There's a place to get some food towards the end of the drive, but I recommend bringing your own food instead or even just a few snacks.

In Carmel, you might want to get lunch or dinner at Hog's Breath Inn which has outdoor seating in a tucked away little area. It also has an indoor pub, but I don't know if there's an age restriction inside. It's Clint Eastwood's place and the food/drinks are really good and the atmosphere is very nice.

If you want to see the Santa Cruz pier, you can do that on your San Jose day if you go to the Henry Cowell Redwoods and take the train to the pier. That's a long packed in day, though. I have to disclose that we didn't like the Santa Cruz pier at all when we went a few years ago.
08/15- Newport or Laguna Beach
Both of these have really nice beaches. I just love Crystal Cove State Beach which is in Laguna Beach, but practically in Newport. It's very long and spread out and there are multiple things you can do there. There are tide pools, a historic museum type area on the beach, hiking trails, beach equipment rental and a couple restaurants. Beachcomber is right on the sand and very pricey. On the top of the cliff is a Shake Shack that has burgers and shakes and killer ocean views.

That's very ambitious and there's no reason why you couldn't do all of that if you have the energy and don't mind being on the run most of the time. I have a couple ideas that you may want to look into. My preferences might not be in line with yours, but here a things you may want to look into.
I know it's a lot but we like to explore and sightsee on vacation we are not really the type to just sit around and relax at a pool or beach on vacation, I mean it's nice for a day or two but gets boring. After all the WDW trips over the years we are used to being on the go.
San Jose isn't a great area. I don't think you would enjoy hanging out there for a day. There are a couple things you can do/drive to that may make the stop a little better. Henry Cowell Redwoods is a lovely place to walk around and it has a train station that you can book a train ride either up the mountain or down to the pier at Santa Cruz.
Fortunately, we are not staying in the heart of San Jose we are a little outside in Mountain View. The rental is up on the mountain with great views and hiking trails. There is a really nice pool so figured after driving in from Yosemite we could just hang out there for our first day. We are there for 4 nights and picked the location because it wasn't too far from either Napa, SF or the coastal towns and much friendlier on the budget (there were many places especially around Monterey / Carmel that were charging $800 a night). I will look into the train you mentioned though, I am sure our daughter would enjoy that.
I haven't been to the winery that you mentioned. I've been to several in Napa and Sonoma and I think they would all be super boring for kids. Napa is very hyped and expensive. Sonoma still has free and low cost tastings. Buena Vista Winery in Sonoma was probably my favorite and only because it's a historic location. Overall, I think for the kids, your looking at a long car ride with a boring destination.
The Francis Ford Coppola Winery is one that is family friendly with a huge pool, movie museum and activities for the kiddos including juice tastings. The only thing is to use the pool you have to rent a cabana which apparently go fast (bookings haven't opened yet) so if we don't get one we may have to figure something else out. I think you're right though a regular winery would be boring for kids. We've done tastings before in Solvang and Los Olivios but never Napa or Sonoma, but we could just save those tastings for another trip.
To me, the aquarium is overhyped and I prefer the one in Long Beach (Aquarium of the Pacific). I've been to the one in Monterey twice and felt like it was overpriced and a bit of a let down.
Good to know about the Monterey aquarium I was wondering if it was worth all the hype. The one in Long Beach does seem to be priced better too. We have a Ripley's Aquarium not far from us in Toronto that we've been to which is also over hyped and not worth the
If you want to see the Santa Cruz pier, you can do that on your San Jose day if you go to the Henry Cowell Redwoods and take the train to the pier. That's a long packed in day, though. I have to disclose that we didn't like the Santa Cruz pier at all when we went a few years ago.
I have only been to the pier once, when I was 13 which was MANY, MANY years ago lol. I think it's more the nostagia factor for me, I loved it then, though I am sure it's changed a lot since the 80's lol.
Both of these have really nice beaches. I just love Crystal Cove State Beach which is in Laguna Beach, but practically in Newport. It's very long and spread out and there are multiple things you can do there. There are tide pools, a historic museum type area on the beach, hiking trails, beach equipment rental and a couple restaurants. Beachcomber is right on the sand and very pricey. On the top of the cliff is a Shake Shack that has burgers and shakes and killer ocean views.
I have heard good things about about Crystal Cove State Beach but have never been. It sounds like there is more to do there than just sit on the beach which is right up our alley. Our last vacation before the pandemic was Hawaii and we enjoyed snorkling in the tide pools on the North Shore in Oahu. Are the tide pools in Crystal Cove deep enough for snorkelling? Shake Shack yum, our older girls will be so jealous--they love Shake Shack and there are none where we live in Canada.

Thanks again for all your help and tips.

I have only been to the pier once, when I was 13 which was MANY, MANY years ago lol. I think it's more the nostagia factor for me, I loved it then, though I am sure it's changed a lot since the 80's lol.
The problem is that it hasn't changed since the 80's for the most part. Since you were there a long time ago, you'll probably love it. It's basically carnival type rides and food, neither of which I like. However, if I had fond memories of going there, it would probably be fun to see it again.
Are the tide pools in Crystal Cove deep enough for snorkelling?
No. They are very shallow and you don't go into them. You walk on the rocks and look into them.
Just so you won't be shocked, the water is very cold compared to Hawaii, but August is the warmest it gets.

If you have a fear of heights, don’t exit Yosemite on 120. I held on to the OMG bar the whole way. Google new priest road.
and also, if something opens up in Yosemite valley for your Yosemite time, it is worth staying there. Rather than fight the traffic in and out of the park .

If you have any techies in your crew, you could visit the Mountain View Google headquarters building and the gift shop, and see the Android playground you can climb on. The Intel headquarters also has a cool museum. In the opposite direction, head to the Apple visitor center in Cupertino with a view of the "spaceship" headquarters.

If you have a fear of heights, don’t exit Yosemite on 120. I held on to the OMG bar the whole way. Google new priest road.
and also, if something opens up in Yosemite valley for your Yosemite time, it is worth staying there. Rather than fight the traffic in and out of the park .
Thanks for that tip. I don't really have a fear of heights but that does sound scary. I did check out vacation rentals in Yosemite Valley but everything I saw was $800 -$1300+ and when you add the exchange to Canadian dollars it's way out of our price range.
If you have any techies in your crew, you could visit the Mountain View Google headquarters building and the gift shop, and see the Android playground you can climb on. The Intel headquarters also has a cool museum. In the opposite direction, head to the Apple visitor center in Cupertino with a view of the "spaceship" headquarters.
My hubby and DD would love that. Something I never thought of thanks.

I also highly recommend Crystal Cove or Laguna Beach, two of our kids' favorite beaches. And the Crystal Cove Shake Shack is a tradition - way better shakes than the chain Shake Shack and with a much better view. https://crystalcoveshakeshack.com/

Also recommend Coppola, we haven't been to the pool but the winery is beautiful. We also love Sonoma and stay at the Inn at Sonoma, where they have bikes you can borrow to ride around town.

Hi - we're planning a similar trip so I'll put my itinerary below in case anything in it is helpful. We desperately want to do Yosemite but decided it will need to wait for another trip. We just couldn't fit it in.

• Fly into SF
  • Stay 3 nights in San Francisco.
    • Golden Gate Park, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Painted Ladies, Chinatown, Redwoods, etc.
  • Drive to Monterey and stay overnight
    • Big Sur, 17 Mile drive, stop in towns along the way
  • Drive to Santa Barbara and stay overnight
  • Drive to Laguna and stay 3 nights (it's our favorite place!) and drop off rental car
    • Possibly do an LA tour on our way through, stop in Santa Monica, possibly drive through Malibu
  • Uber to Disneyland for 3 nights

We loved driving the coast through Malibu last trip that we plan on doing it again in June!

Sounds like a great trip :)

Hi - we're planning a similar trip so I'll put my itinerary below in case anything in it is helpful. We desperately want to do Yosemite but decided it will need to wait for another trip. We just couldn't fit it in.

• Fly into SF
    • Golden Gate Park, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Painted Ladies, Chinatown, Redwoods, etc.
  • Drive to Santa Barbara and stay overnight
  • Drive to Laguna and stay 3 nights (it's our favorite place!) and drop off rental car
    • Possibly do an LA tour on our way through, stop in Santa Monica, possibly drive through Malibu
  • Uber to Disneyland for 3 nights
Redwoods...what is your vision of that visit?

The 17 Mile Drive is great if you plan to stop and get out of the car. Bring binoculars and you'll see sea otters and other stuff. There's a place to get some food towards the end of the drive, but I recommend bringing your own food instead or even just a few snacks.

In Carmel, you might want to get lunch or dinner at Hog's Breath Inn which has outdoor seating in a tucked away little area. It also has an indoor pub, but I don't know if there's an age restriction inside. It's Clint Eastwood's place and the food/drinks are really good and the atmosphere is very nice.

I’ll disagree on the Monterey Bay Aquarium, I love visiting & enjoy seeing species you can’t see anywhere else, it’s site overlooking the bay is wonderful. I typically park in the free street parking area & stroll along the rec trail to the aquarium pausing to check out the Harbor seals that haul out on Hopkins beach.
Regarding Pebble Beach & the 17 mile drive, there’s actually 16 different places to grab something to eat https://www.pebblebeach.com/dining/#tab-1 in Pebble Beach. My favorite is to stop by Spanish Bay for drinks/apps while I sit by one of the fire pits & watch the bag piper at sunset. https://www.pebblebeach.com/insidep...-bay-an-unforgettable-pebble-beach-tradition/
There are so many nice places to dine in the Monterey/Carmel area, in downtown Carmel if I want an outdoor terrace I prefer Forge in the Forest, but there are many options. If you want to drive out into Carmel Valley there are some lovely wine tasting venues & nice restaurants as well. Of Eastwood’s restaurants I prefer the Mission Ranch on the outskirts of Carmel for dinner because I like the view over pastures out to the ocean - but it can be a wait for a table & there are so many choices.
I know it's a lot but we like to explore and sightsee on vacation we are not really the type to just sit around and relax at a pool or beach on vacation, I mean it's nice for a day or two but gets boring. After all the WDW trips over the years we are used to being on the go.

Fortunately, we are not staying in the heart of San Jose we are a little outside in Mountain View. The rental is up on the mountain with great views and hiking trails. There is a really nice pool so figured after driving in from Yosemite we could just hang out there for our first day. We are there for 4 nights and picked the location because it wasn't too far from either Napa, SF or the coastal towns and much friendlier on the budget (there were many places especially around Monterey / Carmel that were charging $800 a night). I will look into the train you mentioned though, I am sure our daughter would enjoy that.
Part of the reason that ‘places’ around Monterey/Carmel charge so much is because short term rentals like you are doing in Pine Mountain lake & Mountain View are against the law in many Monterey communities & even where allowed - like in Pacific Grove - are limited via a lottery. Also the Monterey area attracts a lot of visitors, San Jose area not so much. You’ll be doing a lot of driving both to/from Yosemite & when you are in Mountain View to/from more interesting areas - especially on your Napa /Sonoma day. I’d be tempted to save Napa/Sonoma & the 2-3 hours on the road each way for an adults only trip & instead drive the more scenic Hwy 17 under 1 hour drive each way to Roaring Camp & take the historic steam train to & from the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. The Boardwalk is…interesting…classic, free to walk around, the beach is nice & the Wharf is w/in strolling distance.

Hi - we're planning a similar trip so I'll put my itinerary below in case anything in it is helpful.…
  • Drive to Santa Barbara and stay overnight …
If you arrive early enough in Monterey you might do the 17 mile drive on the day you arrive - maybe having a drink/snacks in time for the Bag Piper.
If you leave Monterey early to head south & have time for some hiking you might consider a visit to Point Lobos - https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=571 it’s a few minutes south of Carmel.

Possibly visiting Muir Woods. Or possibly stopping at Henry Cowell Redwoods Park on our way out of SF.
FYI if time is limited, you’ll be driving through redwoods in Big Sur, plan a stop at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park https://www.visitcalifornia.com/en/attraction/pfeiffer-big-sur-state-park, there’s day use which you pay for (note if you paid to park at Point Lobos you can use that receipt for entry to Pfeiffer) or you can stop to visit the Lodge for free.
Although there are several pretty places for a meal in the Big Sur area, my favorite stop along the Big Sur coast is brunch at Cafe Kevah, the views from the outdoor terrace are jaw dropping - especially on clear days. https://www.nepenthe.com/

If you arrive early enough in Monterey you might do the 17 mile drive on the day you arrive - maybe having a drink/snacks in time for the Bag Piper.
If you leave Monterey early to head south & have time for some hiking you might consider a visit to Point Lobos - https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=571 it’s a few minutes south of Carmel.

FYI if time is limited, you’ll be driving through redwoods in Big Sur, plan a stop at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park https://www.visitcalifornia.com/en/attraction/pfeiffer-big-sur-state-park, there’s day use which you pay for (note if you paid to park at Point Lobos you can use that receipt for entry to Pfeiffer) or you can stop to visit the Lodge for free.
Although there are several pretty places for a meal in the Big Sur area, my favorite stop along the Big Sur coast is brunch at Cafe Kevah, the views from the outdoor terrace are jaw dropping - especially on clear days. https://www.nepenthe.com/
That's great! Thank you so much!

• Fly into SF
    • Golden Gate Park, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Painted Ladies, Chinatown, Redwoods, etc
Since you are on the Disboards, I assume you are a Disney fan, so I would say make sure that "etc" includes the Walt Disney Family Museum in SF if you haven't been there before. It is amazing!
I’ll disagree on the Monterey Bay Aquarium, I love visiting & enjoy seeing species you can’t see anywhere else, it’s site overlooking the bay is wonderful.

to & from the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. The Boardwalk is…interesting…classic, free to walk around, the beach is nice & the Wharf is w/in strolling distance.
I'm with you on the Aquarium-- I could sit and watch the otters in there all day. We really enjoyed it. For me the otters and being out watching the bay is enough to make it worthwhile.

Your description of "interesting" made me laugh out loud. I agree with you there too- it was definitely...interesting. We really liked the Santa Cruz wharf. We loved Makai Island Kitchen so much we ate there twice. We sat at a table as DD was with us, but you can't beat a rotating bar that gives everyone an ocean view.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter