2-8-07 or How the DIS created a DCL Expert/Addict:Chap 23 Up! TR Done!

great trip report, and PRE trip report, Ashman! I read it all last night and loved every second of it! I am kind of glad I didn't find this one until now because all the anticipation would have killed me! I am not known for my patience!

Maybe I should start my trip report now. After all, my cruise is only 14 months and 1 week away! :rotfl:

THAT would be cool, just be sure to pace yourself, if you run out of material folks may turn on you! :happytv:

Your family looks sooo nice in the pics!!! Glad to hear you had a great time!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks, we did, we are still going through detox!

I love your report, your girls are very cute. Thanks so much for the great info on the Stringray excursion, we have it book for our cruise in April and was a little worried because not too many people talk about it, now I really can't wait to do it.

Ashman,
Thank you for a great report, especially for the CC stingway photos. I booked that excursion for our April trip but really haven't found much about it until your report :thumbsup2

Sue

It sounds like that part was helpful for many, I'm glad to help, have a great trip in April!

Are the girls still doing their princess: walk at home????

Crowns are in order for this years Bday you know!!!

I haven't noticed but we don't do stair regualry here, I'll keep an eye out!

Chapter 23: Now’s the Time to Say Goodbye

Disembarkation Day, it is amazing how heavy everything seems on this morning. The girls “sleep in” at least for them. I get up and take a shower and change into the going home clothes. I walk over to the porthole to glance out, Yup we’re back at PC, the good Captain didn’t decide to pull out and give us a freebie! :mad: How is it that the view out your stateroom can be so special and magical when you get on board and so depressing and industrial on your last morning? :headache:

Sweet Child looks up from the bed and asks, “Do we have to get off the ship today Dad?” :lmao: Yes darling we do. We had originally planned to take our time getting up and eating at Beach Blanket one more time but the whole crew is up, showered and dressed by 6:50! Our dining time in Tritons was 7:00 so we decide to go there instead to see Laura and Whitt one more time.

Breakfast is good yet bittersweet. Witt is still flashing a great smile and doing tricks for the kids. Mini Me is lingering over her breakfast. I tell her, “Dragging out breakfast won’t get us to stay onboard another day, we have to go, besides Whitt needs to get ready to serve another group.” Whit hears this and tells us to take our time. Contrary to what I have heard on other reports, our servers were just as attentive on this last day and I didn’t feel rushed at all. I ask Laura about her schedule for the day. After she finishes the 2nd seating breakfast, she gets 1 hour off before she has to go up to Deck 9 to prepare for the welcome aboard buffet! :eek: :scared1:

We finish breakfast and make our way up to Shutter’s for the last selection. My wife got one of the package deals. (A great idea IMHO) We make our final selection and make our way back to the atrium. I turn in our comment card and a shot of the one banner no DCL guest ever really wants to see:

GoodbyeBanner.jpg

I turn around and get a shot of the girls sad to leave:

SadMM.jpg

SadSCandMom.jpg

Take a guess which one was posed and which was for real! :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

It’s now about 7:50 and we decide to make our way off the ship. Our driver is set to meet us at 8:30 and we don’t want to hold him up. We wave goodbye to the Captain and to the beautiful Wonder and head off the ship. We head down the corridor where instead of going through the Mickey Ears again they head us down to Border Control! We get off the escalator in baggage claim and Sweet Child asks my wife, “Mom why isn’t it pretty anymore?” T:goodvibes hat’s right even a 7 year can tell when Disney leaves off and US Department of Homeland Security takes over! We find two bags right away and the third with the help of a DCL rep. We eschew the porter as we only have two backpacks and three roller bags, and each kid wants to take one. The Border Guard is very efficient and friendly and just like that we are out and boy did it seem cold! It was only about 58° but it was pretty chilly to us! I turn on my phone and see I missed a call, I redial it and it’s our driver. He waves at us from across the street and in no time flat we are loaded and on our way back to MCO.

Disney advises you not to book your flight before 12:30. With this guideline in mind I pass up on the 11:15 non stop flight back home and instead book the 3:10 non-stop. I only mention this because we are booked with boarding passes and bags checked in at 9:30! :confused3 :confused: :scared1: Getting off the ship was amazingly easy! The ticket agent asked us if we were on the 11:15 flight and I said nope the 3:10 but we are more than happy to take the earlier flight. She just laughs and laughs! So no we get to spend 5 hours in the MCO airport.

Now I have to admit if you are going to be stuck in an airport for an extended period of time, MCO is the way to go. They have lots of shops, a food court with a nice sized fish tank. We tool around for a while and then head up to Chili’s for lunch a little after 11 partly because we are bored and partly because Mini Me didn’t eat a good breakfast and is starting to show it!

Lunch is pretty good but have to remind ourselves of two very important facts 1) getting two of everything isn’t a good idea because 2) we have to remember to pay before we leave the restaurant! :idea: :rolleyes: We walk some more, practice for the spelling test that Sweet Child has to make up. Chat with a local grandma getting ready to see her grandkids. The kids talk to their grandparents (both sets). Finally around 1:45 we decide to go through security and head to our gate for a change of scenery and to make sure we don’t get stuck in a bad line. That passes without a hitch and we make it to the gate. While Sweet Child is reading to me, Mini Me falls asleep about 15 minutes before they allow us to board! We get on the plane with one sleepy kid:

FlightHome.jpg

She wakes up about 2/3 through the flight and Sweet Child falls asleep about halfway through! We land at home and I carry Sweet Child off. She wakes up in the terminal. The girls head to baggage claim and I head off to get the car. I pull up to the loading zone just as the girls are coming out with the luggage, are we good or what. And just like that we are back home, 3 hours earlier than if we had drove (with a five hour wait at the airport!)

So thus ends my humble little story. Thanks to all who read, for those who encouraged me with your kind words, and a special Thank You to this community who helped me have the time of my life on this trip with your advice, tips and counsel. :hug: :cloud9: :love: :grouphug: I’ll put together some final thoughts but until then, farewell!

Excellent Report. Thanks for the laughs. :lmao:

BTW I wondered why no one ever mentioned the Soft Serve Cookie Dough Ice Cream too!:goodvibes

:goodvibes BRAVO! BRAVO! :flower3:

Thanks for that TR. I loved reading it as a pre-trip and now as a conclusion. That last day leaving the ship has to be one of the saddest moments. :sad:

What a fantastic TR. I, being the savy DIS'er (lol) waited to read it until I knew it was nearly finished. I would have driven you NUTS!! asking you for each new installment. Thank you for sharing your precious memories. We are sailing with our DD for the first time in October 2007. I can't wait. I truly enjoyed your writting style and am excited to write my own TR.

Have a Blessed day.............

excellent TR i enjoyed it:) getting off the ship is always the worst i hate that part of the trip:sad1:

Thanks Ash!!!

I enjoyed every bit of your trip!!!

Glad everyone had a good time...

So when are you going again????

You know...you now have to do WDW with the princess: princess: princess: 's....

Looking forward to you next adventure!!!

It has been fun sharing your journey with you. I am sorry it is over :sad2:

I can't wait to hear when you have your next cruise planned.

I thoroughly enjoyed your TR. God Bless you and your beautiful family.

Again, what a good job you did with this trip report. I loved reading it and can't wait to have my own experience (in only a few weeks!).

I need to make my transportation reservations and noticed that you used a car service. Who did you use and would you recommend them?

Over? It can't be over yet. :sad1:

:lmao: Anyway, thanks for such a great trip report. I have really enjoyed it!

Subscribing so I can finish reading at home.

Ashman, you have a beautiful family. Great trip report. I cannot wait until 1 April.

Excellent Report. Thanks for the laughs. :lmao:

BTW I wondered why no one ever mentioned the Soft Serve Cookie Dough Ice Cream too!:goodvibes

That was on of the bestest suprises for me on this trip!

:goodvibes BRAVO! BRAVO! :flower3:

Thanks for that TR. I loved reading it as a pre-trip and now as a conclusion. That last day leaving the ship has to be one of the saddest moments. :sad:

Thanks for your faithful readership and techno help!

It has been fun sharing your journey with you. I am sorry it is over :sad2:

I can't wait to hear when you have your next cruise planned.

I thoroughly enjoyed your TR. God Bless you and your beautiful family.

I would LOVE to do the 5 day Labor Day weekend 2008 but I’m not sure about the kids missing that much school. Sweet Child will be in 3rd grade that year and her school starts the kids in Latin that year (Semper Ubi Tua Sub Ubi!) I’m really on the fence, my hear say go my head says wait. We most likely will do a 7 day summer 2009.

Again, what a good job you did with this trip report. I loved reading it and can't wait to have my own experience (in only a few weeks!).

I need to make my transportation reservations and noticed that you used a car service. Who did you use and would you recommend them?

We used MH Transportation (Thanks Mammasita!) http://www.transportation2disney.com/ they were $230 for round trip from MCO to the Port. Very clean Surbuban. Was waiting for us on both legs, great communication, called us the day before to confirm. I would definitely recommend them!

BTW you do know you will have to change your name once you get back from your trip! Enjoy!

Over? It can't be over yet. :sad1:

:lmao: Anyway, thanks for such a great trip report. I have really enjoyed it!

“Over? It’s not Over! Was Over when the kids got there picture taken with Dora, the Explorer?”

“Dude, it was a DISNEY Cruise

“Shhhhhhhh don’t bother him he’s on a roll.”

“It wasn’t over then, and its not over now! Who’s with me! REBOOK! REBOOK! REBOOK! REBOOK! REBOOK! REBOOK!”

Sorry about that, I musta blacked out for a second what was I saying?

Some Final Thoughts

1) I liked the split bath. It is a bit smaller (only slightly bigger than an airplane bathroom) but very nice to have a separate room with kids and grownups trying to get together at the same time.
2) Although we had no problems getting down, the next time I cruise I will probably fly down the day before. That first day was just too tiring and hectic especially with little ones.
3) I am glad they have padding around the support posts on deck 9. Our kids had several “George of the Jungle” moments, “Watch out for that……!) right before they ran into it.
4) Know your kids know you, realize that they are having a blast but be sure you give them down time during the day or nobody is happy!
5) Pirate Party and Till We Meet Again Party are not miss events.
6) Book your excursions as soon as you can many of the popular ones sell out quickly (including the dolphin one we did)
7) You can’t do it all, and that’s okay
8) Your kids don’t have to go to the clubs to have a great time, and that’s okay!
9) Your attitude affects everything and your kids pick up on it. I saw a wide spectrum of examples showing this.
10) You can probably get by with a flight as early as 11:00 IF you have your own transportation and don’t have to return a car.
11) Bring your own glow stuff for the pirate party much cheaper than buying it on board.
12) Do a wake up call (it’s Mickey!)
13) Snag some food from the breakfast buffet to take with you.
14) You need cash for the Post Office on Castaway Cay
15) If you want a disposable underwater camera bring one from home
16) Zip lock bags are your friend
17) We brought chocolates and a home made card to give our Stateroom attendant at the start of the cruise
18) Do Online check in and have your forms ready before you get there, saves tons of time.
19) Above all else, have fun out there!

Chapter 19: Prancing Princesses, Golden Mickey’s, Pooped Pirates, and Bouncing Buccaneer’s

The ears you know about, my DW made the Mickey Tye-dye shirts. We got the idea and a link to do it from the Dis! Mickey was very impressed with the shirt! Again the Dis making a rookie family look like pros! :thumbsup2 :grouphug:

Please-oh-please more info on where to find the "how-to" for the tie-dye mickey shirts?
I would so LOVE to do this for my 4 y.o. DD!!!

p.s. This is such an amazingly cool read!! It's getting me even more excited for our 3-day at the end of March! :)

;) Loved your trip report. We are taking the transatlantic 14 day cruise in May. I am in hyper planning mode and need to ask a question based on somthing from your report. When you arrived at the ship, you said you were in boarding group 3, but that no one had checked in from group one. How do you get your boarding group number? Is it based on room number or when you get to the terminal?

Thanks!:cloud9:

;) Loved your trip report. We are taking the transatlantic 14 day cruise in May. I am in hyper planning mode and need to ask a question based on somthing from your report. When you arrived at the ship, you said you were in boarding group 3, but that no one had checked in from group one. How do you get your boarding group number? Is it based on room number or when you get to the terminal?

Thanks!:cloud9:

Based on when you get to the terminal. Group 1 is for Concierege level rooms (Cats1-3) At my cruise they called Groups 1 and 2 together. You get your number once you go through security. They give out all the 2, then the 3 and so on

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter