2/15/2013 - 8 Night Western Cruise, Galveston, TX

What are you packing clothing-wise? I have no idea what to bring for February. I'm in AZ, so it's mostly hot all year. Should I bring some long sleeved (but light weight) tops and long bottoms? I know I'm bringing some sweaters for the girls and a jacket for myself (I hate to be cold!).

What are you packing clothing-wise? I have no idea what to bring for February. I'm in AZ, so it's mostly hot all year. Should I bring some long sleeved (but light weight) tops and long bottoms? I know I'm bringing some sweaters for the girls and a jacket for myself (I hate to be cold!).

We've cruised in February a few times before. It's typically warm (if you're from Arizona, hot if you're from up north! lol!), in the mid-70s to 80s. Sometimes you'll get "winter" storms that make the evenings/early mornings chilly. It was downright cold on CC one time we were there...like in the 60s (with the wind from the water, we were shivering) but it warmed up in the afternoon.

We're packing mostly shorts/t-shirts with a pair of jeans or two and one light sweatshirt for each of us for the pirate night party. Otherwise, flip flops and swimsuits!! :cool1:

I also have a question about clothes. I'm thinking we're going to change our anniversary dinner and do the Palo brunch instead. My husband HATES dinner at Palo and was only doing it for me. I checked out the brunch menu (after hearing all of you talk about it :love:) and it looks more to his liking. I'm not sure what to wear, though. It's brunch so I'm thinking not as formal as dinner but can we get away with jeans or do we need to go dressier? We're NOT dress-up people (ha, that came out funny!) so the lowest-level of dressing up we can get away with, we will! Anyone care to share what they've seen others wear to the brunch (and whether there was muttering or staring involved at said wearers)? Would prefer not to be the fodder for cruise gossipers!! :eek:

So excited for those of you doing Christmas surprises for their cruises... Wish I could be a fly on the wall to see your families' reactions!! :goodvibes

Re: Clothes -- It might be cool when we leave Galveston, you just never know here what the weather is going to be doing, but by the next day it has warmed up nicely. You know, I say that... but I'm also used to heading due South at that point. Since we'll be heading towards Florida, now I'm not sure... But, when we've done Western Caribbean itineraries in February before, it has still been quite warm.

And that being said, we were at CC one time when it was misty and cold and I about froze to death, lol. So... I guess we'll just have to watch the weather...

But generally, I bring shorts and tops, capris and nicer shirts for regular dinners, formal wear, and that's about it. I'm always hot, so I never bring a sweater or anything -- but I know a lot of people get cold in the dining rooms and theater.

As for Palo brunch, definitely no jeans. But most men just wear khakis and a polo shirt, something like that. Some will wear a sport coat. Women tend to wear sundresses, nicer capris, that sort of thing. Generally what you'd wear to non-formal dinner in the regular dining room would be perfect for Palo brunch.

I guess I'd better go wrap a present or twelve... or Christmas isn't going to be very festive, lol. Only 23 more minutes until the Texans game starts, so I'd better hurry!

GO TEXANS!!! :cheer2:

We will pack mostly short sleeves, shorts, capris, but will have some jeans and sweatshirts or light jackets too. It could be very warm the whole time but I've been to WDW in Dec when it's been downright freezing as in we had the kids in long sleeves, sweatshirts, jackets, and we bought them blankets in MK. So it's possible that you might need jeans for our WDW day, especially if you are going early and/or staying late. I always bring a cardigan sweater for dinner because I find it to be chilly sometimes in the MDRs.

They boys received Mickey fleeces and I received a DCL zip up hoodie yesterday from my parents. So we will be taking those.

Match your mate is a lot of fun to watch too!

My husband and I played in that one of our cruises. He gave a memorable answer that labeled us as "couple #2" for the rest of the cruise by all who were at the show that evening.

I'm so glad there are other people who just never went there and didn't know they had all these yummies! And I always would sit right outside Cove Cafe in the smoking area, and never went in... Oh well, at least we know now!! :goodvibes

This will be my sixth Disney cruise, and I didn't know either. Thanks!

My husband and I played in that one of our cruises. He gave a memorable answer that labeled us as "couple #2" for the rest of the cruise by all who were at the show that evening.

Okay, now you know dang well you can't say something like that without telling us the full story... LOL... :thumbsup2 C'mon, spill! Entertain those of us stuck at work today... :teeth:

That had to be so exciting, Kim! I can’t wait to hear how everyone else’s surprise goes for their kids.

Come on dgmommie (couple #2) – I am also waiting to hear the story. We had someone on our Disney cruise that was labeled “Hi Ho” from the very first night. It was beyond funny!

Merry Christmas to everyone! I have already heard the reindeer on my roof and Santa downstairs, so my DH and I are all ready for the sugar plums to be dancing in our heads. :cloud9:

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas...I am now ready to go into full swing cruise mode, ok after I hit the sales today. :cool1:

Kim, I love the youtube video!

Here's a link to our Christmas surprise - I couldn't figure out how to edit it down to just the end - so it's a little long! If you skip to about 5:30, it's them trying to figure it out, then going to the last clue where it's revealed...

Kids Christmas Surprise

It's funny because my son was the one I was worried might be disappointed (because we usually go overboard for Christmas, but didn't this year due to the cruise being their "big" gift - and it was my daughter who didn't have much of a reaction - and she's usually ALL about drama and reaction! LOL! I think she just really was still a little confused! They're both very excited now and have been asking all kinds of questions!

OK, I tested out one of my ideas for the FEE gift today. Are we sharing what we're making? I have a question about it - this idea is one I had for the kids, but I'm unsure about what to do exactly - I think kids about 10-12 and under would enjoy this, but not sure about older kids. Also, this is something that I was going to do for "the cabin" for the kids - does that make sense? As in, not for each individual child.

So my question is - should I do something entirely different for the older kids? And what about those cabins that have maybe an older and younger kids? Is it weird to have something different for different ages? Or should I re-think everything and figure out something something that would appeal to all ages?

I know that was long and rambly, but if anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it! I'm starting to stress about these gifts! I want everyone to enjoy what we give them!

Hi Beth,

My family just booked our 1st disney cruise out of Galveston on 2/15. We would love to join in on the FEE. Are you the correct contact person? We are hoping there is room in the group. There are 3 families (7 kids) total. Can you please send me the information.

Thank you!

Amy

Count is in too! We just finished the reservations this morning. :cheer2: We have all boys. 2 are close to the ages of DisMom73's kids as my older ones are 12 and 10 and my youngest is close to KPetty725's kids as he is 5.

To join in the onboard birthday celebrations, we have my husband's on the 17th on one of our sea days.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and metting all of you on the 15th of February. :grouphug:

Beth

Disregard my previous message. I'm a 1st time disney cruiser and a newbie to this board. I didn't realize I already received a response. Thanks FloridaFun!

Hi Beth,

My family just booked our 1st disney cruise out of Galveston on 2/15. We would love to join in on the FEE. Are you the correct contact person? We are hoping there is room in the group. There are 3 families (7 kids) total. Can you please send me the information.

Thank you!

Amy

Gina said:
Okay, now you know dang well you can't say something like that without telling us the full story... LOL... :thumbsup2 C'mon, spill! Entertain those of us stuck at work today... :teeth:

As part of the game, we were asked the most unusual place was where we'd done "stuff". He answered on the boss's couch at my former office.

No problem, Amy (threeofhearts). I would have normally sent you a PM, but you need to have 10 posts and I was worried that you may not be able to even get it and knew for sure you could not respond there. This board is quite busy with a great group. If you emailed me, it has not come through yet. I will be sure to respond so that you know it was received and send you the link in that response email. :thumbsup2

Beth

Hi Lori (glorib) – I am planning to keep my gifts a surprise for everyone until I give them. Cabin gifts for kids is totally normal. I personally think it would be really hard to come up with a gift that would fit all the different ages, so I am doing a little something different based on age as well. Plus, my girl and boy gifts are different as I had trouble finding something that I could make that fit for both. I am great about dreaming things up, but always shocked at how hard it actually is to put into practice.

I am sure everyone will love what you are doing for the FEE gifts. My mom and I have been working on ours together and laughing most of the time. When we get one messed up we laugh and say we will hand that out to someone not in the FEE and mark it from “Captain Stubing and your cruise director Julie.” :rotfl:

OK, I tested out one of my ideas for the FEE gift today. Are we sharing what we're making?

I want everyone to enjoy what we give them!

Hi Lori (glorib)
I am sure everyone will love what you are doing for the FEE gifts.

This!! I, for one, will appreciate the work and effort that goes in to putting out the FEE gifts. No matter what it is, we will just love getting a little something in our extender.

And a special appreciation to those who are in more than one FEE and especially Beth, who is in all 3. You may need a separate carry-on just for the gifts.

With that said, I can share a bit of what I'm doing. Each cabin in our group will be getting a personalized door knob hanger, with family name and DIS name. I've also made name magnets for each person in our group that they can attach to their door if they wish. I also got a big lot of trading pins of e-bay, and will be giving some to all kids on the list. I have a few other things that I will get together. We plan on dropping off all our gifts at once, rather than on multiple days.
I've also ordered a FE off ETSY, which should be here in the next 2 weeks.

I can't believe how fast the countdown ticker in my sig is going down. 7 weeks tomorrow!!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter