1st visit. Just 1 word.

Thank you for giving us more information besides your initial one word. To me, it seems like it might have been more kind and considerate to have not posted in the DL forum and to speak to your disappointment in the DW forum and share there about how much you prefer it. IMHO.

I dont think it is unkind or inconsiderate to post this in the DL forum. I didn't feel like they were bashing DL, merely expressing their opinion about their experience. I dont think that invalidates your love for DL either. People should see that there are differing opinions about all the disney parks. Someone researching for a trip to DL would most likely come to the DL forums not the DW forums so in that regard this is the perfect place to post this.

I feel ya! When I first switched from 10 years of WDW to taking my family to DL yearly, I was disappointed as well. BUT....Not to the point I'd never come back, though. Of course, it looks like you're from that side of the States, so I can see why you wouldn't spend the cash to travel across the continent when you're perfectly content with WDW.

I'm with you though on the size, age, and it not being quite as immersive as WDW. It took several trips for me to warm up to DL like I did WDW. And honestly, I'm still a bigger fan of WDW for the immersive "bubble" feeling and the fact each park does nightly spectaculars that rarely get cancelled. But DL does have a good vibe to it. Definitely worth going again....if you're on this side of the States.

As someone who grew up east of the Mississippi and then moved west, I definitely feel like a WDW girl living in DL territory. It's FASCINATING to me to hear how strongly some Disney fans feel about one park over another. I remember going to WDW with a boyfriend who had grown up on DL and actually FIGHTING on the trip because he kept complaining that WDW was too big, too spread out, unoriginal, etc. while I vastly prefer the immersion and scale of WDW. (You can probably find my super grouchy trip report on these boards about 18 years ago. LOL!)

Over time, I've started to think of the parks the way I think of movies... what am I in the mood for?
  • A full-scale vacation that feels like a total escape from reality?
  • Enough to do to fill a week or more?
  • Extensive resort options?
  • Animals?? (AK is my favorite park)
Then I'm headed to WDW!

• A quick and affordable getaway?
  • Less walking/traveling, more "doing"?
  • More manageable (and less overwhelming) for my toddlers?
  • Easier planning?
I'm on my way to DL!

All of that said, I 100% agree with the OP that the crowds at DL always feel awful to me due to the smaller walkways. Nothing to be done about it, and the reason for it makes sense, as PPs pointed out, but it's still a definite ding against DL for me.

Thank you for your post...and for elaborating! We’re DW veterans who are planning on heading west to DL next summer. I’m already hesitant about SW opening over the summer & we’re planning mid-July for my birthday. I think being more prepared ahead of time for some of these differences will help us enjoy this first trip!

However, I would still like to go back and try it again with the 6+ months planning insanity that is apparently required for a WDW trip.

Just a side note, I always find it funny when people are so taken aback by the size of DL. It was, after all, built in the 1950s, back when no one had any clue what enormous crowds would be drawn to Disney.

And saying it’s outdated makes me laugh too. I absolutely LOVE all the original rides and features at DL. It’s a piece of history! And pretty impressive that it has all stood the test of time and still draws so many visitors that Disney is constantly reevaluating how to handle them all.

I wonder if people who complain the walkways are narrow and everything is too small and old would think of Europe, ha ha. So outdated!

I've never been to WDW, but I agree with everything @SOCALMouseMommy said. The planning for WDW overwhelms me. To each their own. Difference of opinion is what makes the world go around...:goodvibes

Eh, you like what you like. Honestly the first day I was at Magic Kingdom I was put off. I warmed up to it during our 10 days in the parks. But I was disappointed, I was worried that I spent a ton of money to go somewhere that was not as good. I fell in love with Hollywood Studios and Epcot, but Magic Kingdom did not have the magic that Disneyland had.

Magic Kingdom can't hold a candle to Disneyland. I was a little disappointed in Magic Kingdom, but I probably wouldn't have been if I hadn't been to Disneyland multiple times first. There were things I really liked about MK, but when you compare the two, there is no contest, at least for me.

I think the OP's complaints are legit, at least. It's just a matter of preference and they prefer WDW.

I unexpectedly fell in love with Hollywood Studios on our WDW trip this year, so you never know what will impress you before you try it out!

Just one comment on being outdated. When I heard they were re-doing the Matterhorn que I was a little sad. I grew up with that que! Sure it is outdated, the line is too narrow for wheelchairs, and the new FP line is a mess sometimes, but I like it anyway! Such good memories.

I dont think it is unkind or inconsiderate to post this in the DL forum. I didn't feel like they were bashing DL, merely expressing their opinion about their experience. I dont think that invalidates your love for DL either. People should see that there are differing opinions about all the disney parks. Someone researching for a trip to DL would most likely come to the DL forums not the DW forums so in that regard this is the perfect place to post this.

I agree with what you are saying and appreciate the input other's gave (once the op elaborated) and see how the open discussion is helpful to all. What I was mostly referring to was how he phrased his original one word post which I experienced as an unkind jab rather than an expression of his experience.

I would agree with you there!! We usually go to WDW and are also going to DL next summer.
I'm definitely trying to get prepared for the 'difference' and try to appreciate the good things I've read too :) and also be semi-prepared if SW opens during our visit.

Thank you for your post...and for elaborating! We’re DW veterans who are planning on heading west to DL next summer. I’m already hesitant about SW opening over the summer & we’re planning mid-July for my birthday. I think being more prepared ahead of time for some of these differences will help us enjoy this first trip!

The bottom line 'take away' from my WDW trip was that 'It's the same, just different'. But we had a wonderful time and I wouldn't say I was ever 'disappointed', just surprised at times. We're going back to WDW next year.

So much of it is in what you're used to. I can definitely see how the smaller walkways and spaces could make a WDW regular feel claustrophobic. The wider spaces at WDW are nice, but more walking! Having 4 parks is great but the 'commute' to the other WDW parks vs the closeness of DCA was, for me, a 'negative' as far as hopping and we're not getting hoppers for our trip next year as we only hopped once to see a fireworks show. There are spaces at WDW that didn't seem as immersive as at DL, and vice versa. I don't mind the hyper-planning for a WDW trip but the 'go with the flow' of DL is easier to deal with. As far as the rides, some of the DL versions are better, some of the DL versions are better. It's a matter of personal feeling. And speaking of feeling, WDW did not give me that same 'homecoming' magic feeling as I get at DL. I put that down to having gone to DL repeatedly since I was a baby and I'd guess a WDW regular would feel the same (in reverse).

I'm sorry you were disappointed, but it's horses for courses, isn't it?

Grew up going to WDW, made a trip to DL a few years ago. If it weren't for the new Florida attractions, I'd never go back.

Love everything about Disneyland. But I also don't care about the bubble or any of that.

Going to DLR in three weeks, also only ever been to WDW. So I'll see how it effects me in comparison to OP.
I think Frozen2014's positives mirror much of what I'm anticipating (except for no WOC...…). I'm big on nostalgia, walking in Walt's footsteps, picturing the history of the park. I did the same thing walking through Graceland, seeing Elvis in the Jungle Room, making PB and nanna sammiches.
Got a feeling some of the negatives from OP will be expressed by my better half though, especially the crowd perspective.

SHHHH!! PLEASE tell everyone it basically sucks. It’s too expensive as it is!
YES, it is crowded now, we don't need more people coming to DL!!!

And saying it’s outdated makes me laugh too. I absolutely LOVE all the original rides and features at DL. It’s a piece of history! And pretty impressive that it has all stood the test of time and still draws so many visitors that Disney is constantly reevaluating how to handle them all.

I wonder if people who complain the walkways are narrow and everything is too small and old would think of Europe, ha ha. So outdated!
I've brought my kids up going to DL. We love DL. We try to visit every 6 weeks to 2 months.

We went to WDW this year. I enjoyed our trip, but I consider the 2 parks apples and oranges. When I leave Disneyland, I am looking forward to my next trip. WDW, we had fun, but the work involved overwhelmed me. We initially said this was a one and done for us, but after some recovery, we have decided we may head back in 5 or so years. I really enjoyed AK. It was my favorite park. And Epcot was fun for food. I didn't enjoy the 30-60 min waits for buses. We were better when we moved from AKL to the Contemporary and were able to use monorail some.

As for Fantasmic!, while WDW has the seating, the DL show is so much better overall. While the park footprint is so much smaller, there is so much more to do for me. I even prefer the food options, but Epcot is great.

We’re WDW vets, but went to DLR this summer for the first time since I was 6. I didn’t really want to do it, but I have young boys and wanted them to see Carsland before they aged out. I’m the planner in our family, and I felt mildly ill the whole way to California - we only do Disney about every 2 years, and I was so afraid we would all be disappointed with my choice.

Well. I agree with the pp who said they may never go back to the World. We will, because I love Epcot and AK. But I fell in love with Disneyland in a way I never expected and can’t wait to go back. It was quaint and charming, and Walt’s spirit is around every corner.

I love them both but DL has my heart. I love the smallness of it. How easy it is to navigate. I get it is crowded (and has gotten much worse in the last few years) but nothing beats walking to your hotel when ever you want, getting off one ride and being able to line up on the next one, not having to plan all your rides and dinning in advance, and seeing everywhere Walt was. You feel it. I grew up on the east coast and visited WDW twice as a child, but my first trip with my children was to DL and I was done for. I can't walk into that park without getting goosebumps. I can see why some prefer WDW and I want to thank OP for leaving your reasons. It is helpful so we can prepare when we visit with east coast friends. It is good to know that not everyone will love it as much as I do. Op, I hope you have a fun trip to WDW planned soon! Thanks for your review.

As a WDW local, Disneyland blows MK out of the water.

I still prefer WDW over DLR thanks to Epcot and the immersiveness of our resorts, but Disneyland has a certain charm that makes it very sepcial and it doesn't hurt that the attractions are consistently better on the west coast. I can see how the size can be overwhelming (just as the massive property at WDW can be overwhelming) leaving you stuck in crazy crowds, but I don't understand how you think it felt dated and worn. I'm not sure I've ever talked to someone who has thought WDW has better upkeep than DLR. Assuming you just went recently, maybe all of the construction walls/fences made it appear in worse shape?

Thank you for giving us more information besides your initial one word. To me, it seems like it might have been more kind and considerate to have not posted in the DL forum and to speak to your disappointment in the DW forum and share there about how much you prefer it. IMHO.

I appreciate this being posted in the Disneyland forum. I have only been to WDW for the past 20 years and are now looking to go in November of 2019. I want to know from another WDW travelers perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter