1st time snorkler

jkovick

<font color=FF9900>DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue
DH and I are both strong swimmers but have never snorkeled before. Can anyone recommend a snorkeling experience that would be good for us(Eastern sailing)? Also, anyone encounter sharks while snorkeling? Sharks make me a little nervous. Thanks for your help.

When you are in st. thomas go over to St. john and snorkle trunk bay it was great! (we did the 5star) as for sharks, they are a possibility as they are in the water but usually avoid snorklers, when we were snorkling off the keys one year DH turned the corner on a reef and literally bumped into a shark. The shark was unimpressed but DH I am sure added to the ph balance of the water that day ;). I have seen baracudas, rays, a variety of fish but only that one shark and I have snorkled over 100 times. As I said even if you encounter one the likelyhood of it caring about your existance is slim. Reefs(where you would be snorkling) are full of easy fish for them to eat so it would be doubtfull they would want to eat you :)

I couldn't recommend Captain Nauticas St. John snorlking excursion enough. It was my first time snorkling and it was wonderful! The people were sooo friendly and when I told them I was afraid of sharks they assured me there would be none and offered to go in the water with me. Once I got in and saw how beautiful it was sharks were the furthest thing from my mind, and I am deathly afraid of them. They later joked that I was the last one in the water and the last one to come back on the boat when it was time to leave. Their boat is fast too, which gives you 2 hours of snorkling time instead of 1 like most other excursions. You spend one hour at Christmas Cove in St. Thomas and one hour at Honeymoon Beach in St. John. You'll never see anything more beautiful than Honeymoon Beacyh. Which ever you choose, relax and enjoy!

We were first times on our Dec 1 Wonder cruise at Castaway Cay. Myself and DD13 loved it. DW and DD11 weren't as thrilled. Good point of CC is it caters to first timers in the Magical DCL way, but........if you like it as much as us it's the last stop on the cruise.

I was on the Magic in January and I went to St John snorkeling. I was disappointed. Maybe it was a bad day or something but we saw nothing! Maybe 2 or 3 fish in 2 hours, and they weren't even colorful! We did the Trunk Bay beach excursion, maybe you have to go on the one that takes you on the boat...that one was filled and we couldn't get in. I also went on CC, but no one told me to start over near the rental shack, so I didn't see much there either. But I bought my own equip, so I will try again in November! Good Luck...

for the best results stay close to the coral as the fish congregate there, just don't touch it as some coral is fire coral and will "burn" you.

was on the Eastern Dec. 2001. I'm not the best swimmer and was really nervous, but I got the hang of it in time. It was amazing! I can't wait to do it again.
We did the Champagne Catamaran in St. Thomas which sailed to Honeymoon Bay in St. John. Absolutely breath-taking! I loved the leisurly ride there and back, the great lunch, snacks and beverages plus there weren't that many people in Honeymoon Bay. It was wonderful!

Snorkling is very easy. I'm somewhat afraid of the water, even though I can swim. I didn't have any problems. I would advise not to wait until Castaway Cay, though. The water didn't seem as clear as at St. John.

But I am commited to trying it on our cruise. I want my two kids to try as well, even though they are not big swimmers. I think it will be a really fun time for all!

I plan to try it when we are at port in Naussau.

Gina

all it took was one time, and i was hooked! I have been on different cruises, and when i have booked excursions through the ships, i have yet to be disappointed! Go for it!

We have never snorkeled either, but I have heard the Coki beach in St. Thomas is a great place for beginners because you can snorkel in shallow water. Does anyone else know how the snorkeling is there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter