1st Time at Fort Wilderness

Alabama Minnie

DIS Veteran
1st time camping at Ft. W and had some questions:
Which site is best for a fifth-wheel/truck, (full hook-up/preferred/premium)?
Which sites (loops) are closest to the boat transport?
Are any of the sites lakeview?
Thanks!

Best site for a 5er is a premium, there are no lakeview sites, don't get BamaEd started on that again. Search the fort wilderness information pinned at the top and you will find a map that shows all the loops and their locations..

The biggest difference is the size of the concrete versus the amount of sand (such as it is).

Premium sites tend to be a bit larger but have no pad for a Tent and are virtually all concrete whereas the FULL sites have a smaller concrete pad but a larger sand pad.

Just be sure to NOTE your 5er size on your reservation (probably need to call for that) at some point. Also have them note the number of slides/awnings. That way when the do assign the site, they can get as close to good fitting site as possible.

Best site for a 5er is a premium, there are no lakeview sites, don't get BamaEd started on that again. Search the fort wilderness information pinned at the top and you will find a map that shows all the loops and their locations..

I resemble that remark.

Alabama Minnie, loop 600 which has Premium sites does have some that back up to the small pond in the middle of the Fort. The Bike Barn and the Campfire/Movie sing-along location are on the other side. It is scenic.

100-200-300 are Preferred loops, 400 & 700 are Premium and these are the closest to Bay Lake and the boat docks. 100 is the closest (stayed there last month). 100 sites can be kinda tight though if your 5er and truck are long. A good choice then are 400 or 700.

Bama Ed

PS - tell us how long the trailer and truck are and that will help us know what to tell you.

We like loop 400 but sometimes it is tight getting in with our rig if people are parked on road but alot easier than 300 loop. Enjoy we have never had a bad time at the fort and just booked today for this year Oct I was late and did not get Halloween

Last year when we were there thought that the 600 loop on the pond was very pretty, right by the pool also, many of the sites backed right up to the pond.

400 and 700 are your best bets based on your given information. Have stayed in 400 and liked it but beware, the squirrel mafia is in full power there and those little guys know how to have a fun time and eat very well... Usually at your expense.

It's walking distance to the restaurants and marina is best of all the premiums.

Thanks for the replies! We will have a 39 ft. 5th-wheel and a F-250 truck. Looks like most of you suggest loop 400 or 700? Would 200 loop be difficult to get our's into? What is really the difference between premium and preferred? We probably want be doing any grilling. We usually have dinner in the parks so I'm not sure we need upgraded picnic area.
Thanks again!

I was in the 100 loop last year and almost could not get into my site, I have a 30 ft bumper pull and a 3500 dually. The preferred sites are a bit tighter than the premium loops. The preferred also has a sand pad at the back, which is where you end up being parked on and if your entry door is in the back dragging sand in your rig. Where the premium is all concrete. When we booked this trip, for the extra 5 dollars a night we went with the premium again.

Thanks for the replies! We will have a 39 ft. 5th-wheel and a F-250 truck. Looks like most of you suggest loop 400 or 700? Would 200 loop be difficult to get our's into? What is really the difference between premium and preferred? We probably want be doing any grilling. We usually have dinner in the parks so I'm not sure we need upgraded picnic area.
Thanks again!

Preferred sites are of various lengths with the tent pad. Maybe 35-40 feet of concrete (varies) which has to include your rv/trailer back to the wheels and the tow vehicle. They are 12 feet wide paved. The road around 200 loop is not as tight to back into sites as the road in 100 loop is (I've stayed in both).

Premium sites are 18 feet wide paved with no tent pad. They are roughly a minimum of 55 feet long. Much easier to back into (entrance is flared) and BIG but they cost the most. The cost difference between Preferred and Premium have come down over the years. 400 Premium (stayed in it once) is no further from the boat/beach than 200 Preferred in my opinion. Heck, some people from the front area of 400 loop use the Comfort Station for 100/200.

There are minor differences in the picnic table and grill for Preferred and Premium (Preferred equal open plain grill, rectangular wood table and Premium is a covered grill with a square, recycled material table). Those are not worth a dime's difference in my book.

Bama Ed

PS - Alabama Minnie, so you're in Alabaster? I'm in Hoover. Howdy neighbor! :wave2:

The ones closest to the boats (100, 200 & 300) are pretty tight. The first time we went we were worried about location. Now we just get what we get. Much less stress and worry. I'm not sure that there is a bad site there.

There are minor differences in the picnic table and grill for Preferred and Premium (Preferred equal open plain grill, rectangular wood table and Premium is a covered grill with a square, recycled material table). Those are not worth a dime's difference in my book.

Totally agree with this. The first time we stayed at the Fort we booked Premium and they ended up putting us in "Preferred" instead. We ended up pulling in and setting up later in the day so it was dark. Next morning we awoke and were "Exploring" our new home for the next several days. We got a chance to look at where we were and noticed that our Picnic table was just a standard rectangular Picnic table that was well "Weathered" and the Grill seemed nothing special. As we walked around and saw the other sites with the Square Picnic tables (which looked better because they were plastic and handled the "Weather" better) that's when we realized we were not in the Premium site. They (used to) advertise the premium sites as having an "Upgraded" picnic Table and an "Upgraded" grill. As You point out Ed, it's not all that special.

While I prefer a less weathered Picnic table, I don't like the Square ones. Even though our family is not huge, you are hard pressed to sit 4 people at those tables (one on each side) whereas with your standard (albeit wood) tables you can usually get easily 6 at the table (3 on each side) and if you wanted to you could also put one on each end (with a separate chair).

Our consideration for the "Premium" sites has absolutely NOTHING to do with the "Upgraded Grill and Picnic Table" as they aren't anything special in our book.

Hi-just booked a premium site for Oct. 9-17. We have a 2017 Rockwood 233S hybrid. I know the bigger sites are probably meant for the larger RV's, but we wanted the little bit of extra room and hopefully some additional privacy. When I had called to inquire, I was told that the premium sites are closer to everything and more convenient. The information on the website doesn't really give the useful information given here (really wish I had seen this forum before I booked, but oh well!).

I was wondering if there are recommendations on which loops to request (if that's allowed?). It will also be our first time there. It'll be me, my husband, and four children, 8, 6, 3, and 11 months when we travel. We are only planning on going to two parks while there and possibly doing the Halloween Party at MK on a third day, but not confirmed on that yet. Most of our time will be at the campground. Any and all advice appreciated :)

Welcome to the camping boards! You can request a specific loop. People with young children really seem tp enjoy 1400 loop. It is close to all the activities. FYI, Some of the sites are close to the canal.

:welcome: Simone.

You can request a certain loop but in the end it's not a guarantee. They will try however.

Booking a Premium with a smaller camper happens all the time. Different strokes for different folks so don't worry about that. I won't say you will get "More Privacy" but they are nice. If you have ever camped anywhere else, then expect to have a new expectation for camping. The Fort is Awesome. (as are most of the folks on this Forum.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter