1st Family Trip with a Pre-K'er, a 2 year old and a puking baby!

Great updates! I am so glad you found packing the clothes in ziploc bags helpful! Giving the task of dressing the kids to DH was my goal as well, lol.

I would have loved to have watched a park openning but we missed them our entire trip. When we were at the MK we either had a VERY early ADR and got in early, went late or went on a EMH morning. We didn't make it to the other parks opennings either! You got quite a bit done your first morning! I'm sorry that Sam had a bad first experience with GBS, but I am glad it all worked out in the end. We plan on letting DS decide if he wants to ride Space Mountain on our next trip, but I am worried that since he will be sitting by himself it might be too much.

Isn't the line queue for the Barnstormer so LONG!?! It feels like you walk for miles to get there!

Definitely try to make a MK park opening on your next trip. So fun!

As for getting a lot done on our first morning, I felt like commando-momma!

Sam did end up trying Space Mtn as well (more on that coming soon!), and after the first ride he loved it and rode it many times on our trip. I explained to him that he would have to sit in front of me and I held his hand from behind. Not very comfortable for me, but it made him happy.

And yes, what is up with the Barnstormer queue? Are there ever that many people in line? It took forever to walk the kids through there!

This so helpful! We too have a Sam (5) Eden (2) and Jessie (9 mths at trip time) and this is tremendously informative on rides and kids that age.
I also do the zip lock bag trick and after the kids get dressed we let them have that zip lock bag so they can fill it through out the day for their "memory box".
We decorate the bags the week before the hype up the anticipation.
I take the baby's bag and use it as a diaper filler for emergency changes. I am going to google this ride max!

This so helpful! We too have a Sam (5) Eden (2) and Jessie (9 mths at trip time) and this is tremendously informative on rides and kids that age.
I also do the zip lock bag trick and after the kids get dressed we let them have that zip lock bag so they can fill it through out the day for their "memory box".
We decorate the bags the week before the hype up the anticipation.
I take the baby's bag and use it as a diaper filler for emergency changes. I am going to google this ride max!

:welcome:

When was your trip, or when is it?

Great idea about the "memory box"!

RideMax was great. Even though we weren't there at a super busy time, it was nice to have a schedule and know where we were heading with how long it would take to walk there and how long each ride would take. I think RideMax would be essential during the peak season. We ended up being able to fit in even more than it told us we would, which was wonderful.

Matthew's 1st Haircut!

We arrived at the Barber Shop around 12:40. There were two barber's working, each with someone in their chair, and one other person in line. We didn't figure the wait would get much shorter than this so herded the kids to the small section of wall benches. I was surprised at how small it was in there! We only waited about 5 minutes (but by the time we were done there was a line out the door). Matthew turned 18 months on the trip, and while he hardly had any hair to begin with, we really wanted to have his 1st haircut there and thought it would be such a special memory. Here is his "before" photo:

IMG_6695.jpg

Our barber told me to set Matthew in the chair, on top of a cushioned block. I doubted he would sit on his own and had planned to hold him on my lap, but she wanted me to try it. Rick was on picture duty! As soon as I tried to place him on the block he started fussing, but she immediately started sticking Mickey Mouse stickers all over his clothes and this interested him. Sam was standing right there watching so she stuck some stickers on him as well.

IMG_6696.jpg

And then, of course, Madeleine wanted some so our barber bent down to stick some on her too:

IMG_6697.jpg

She started the haircut by shaving the back. Matthew was not too sure about that as you can see by the expression on his face:

IMG_6698-1.jpg

IMG_6699.jpg

He really didn't like it when she started with the water and the scissors, but he was surprisingly more still than I thought he would be.

IMG_6700.jpg

IMG_6702.jpg

He started to get fussy and wiggly here, so she brought out some toys to distract him:

IMG_6703.jpg

IMG_6704.jpg

IMG_6705.jpg

She was great with Sam and Madeleine and gave them toys to play with as well. When he was all done he got a pair of Mickey ears that said "First Haircut" on the back, a certificate, and a lock of hair mixed with "pixie dust" wrapped up in a napkin with a Mickey Mouse sticker.

IMG_6709.jpg

She then surprised us and told Sam to come over to her for some "Pirate Dust" and Madeleine for some "Pixie Dust":

IMG_6707.jpg

IMG_6708.jpg

What a great experience! When we left the barber shop and got back outside, the "Street Party" parade was coming back through so we watched it again, this time with the new "do's"!

IMG_6710.jpg

IMG_6711.jpg

After this we made a brief stop at The Confectionary. We had given Sam and Madeleine a piggy bank to save money for Disney about 6 months before our trip. We figured this would cover little extras like candy, balloons, ice cream, snacks and Mickey Ears. They were very diligent about putting any change they found (on the street, lying around the house, etc,) or money they were given in the piggy bank and when we tallied it all up just before we left they had saved $120! They each picked out a candy treat and after checking out were asked by two cast members if they wanted to play a game. They said yes and played a tossing game. When they were done the cast members gave each of them a little certificate commemorating the "Taffy Toss" (Matthew's was made out to "Prince Baby Matthew") and another treat from the store (a chocolate and sprinkle coated marshmallow on a stick). More Disney magic on our first day in the Magic Kingdom!

We then headed "home" for naps and a swim. I'll finish up our day in another post since this one is so picture heavy already.

Coming up next: Our evening in the Magic Kingdom

Glad to see you figured out the links! I'm loving your TR so far, it seems like you guys had a lot of fun! You left from our airport! :goodvibes

Yikes about the barnstormer. I've never been on it, but I'm sure we'll ride it plenty with DS this year. The rougher the better, for him.

Those first haircut pictures are so cute! DS still hasn't gotten his first haircut, and we've talked about doing it at disney. Not sure if they'll believe us when we tell them it's his first and he'll be like, four. I mean, it's long, but it's not that long. The boy didn't grow any hair until he was about 2.5!

I've been debating about going back to the hotel for naps. Did you do it every day? We did when DS was 1.5, but I feel like I'd rather go back to the hotel to swim and let them nap in the park if they will.

Anyway, can't wait to read more!

Glad to see you figured out the links! I'm loving your TR so far, it seems like you guys had a lot of fun! You left from our airport! :goodvibes

Yikes about the barnstormer. I've never been on it, but I'm sure we'll ride it plenty with DS this year. The rougher the better, for him.

Those first haircut pictures are so cute! DS still hasn't gotten his first haircut, and we've talked about doing it at disney. Not sure if they'll believe us when we tell them it's his first and he'll be like, four. I mean, it's long, but it's not that long. The boy didn't grow any hair until he was about 2.5!

I've been debating about going back to the hotel for naps. Did you do it every day? We did when DS was 1.5, but I feel like I'd rather go back to the hotel to swim and let them nap in the park if they will.

Anyway, can't wait to read more!

Yes, thank you for the tutorial! :) And your airport?! Where do you live? We're an hour south of Buffalo.

The Barnstormer really is fun. Madeleine ended up asking to ride it again the second to last day of our trip and went on it several times with me while Sam confidently rode alone. I think it was just a shock to them initially! It's much bigger than the typical amusement park kiddie coaster.

You should definitely do the first haircut for your DS if you have time! Our barber was great and it was such a fun experience! Matthew has been our only hair-challenged child. The other two had a lot of hair right away.

We didn't return to our rental house every day for naps, more like every other day. We went back the first day because the flight had been during naptime the day before but none of the kids slept (Matthew for about an hour) and we felt they'd need the break. The next two days we didn't go back for naps and then it was about every other day. We tried to do earlier bedtimes if they didn't nap. Matthew napped in the stroller on the days we stayed in the park, but it was never long enough for him. I felt like he could have used a long naptime at the house every day, but the other two didn't really need it. Sam only napped once during the trip and the other times would swim with us while the others slept (the rental house had a private pool which made this possible). When we did return to the house in the afternoon I felt like that was a nice break for all of us, but when we didn't I liked staying in the park and the fact that we didn't have all the reloading/re-entering hassles! The cons of leaving were most significant at the MK because of the extra step of the TTC. If the kids weren't so young I don't think I'd take the afternoon break unless we were there when the parks were open late at night. They did LOVE swimming though!

Lol I didn't realize I didn't have my location listed. We live in Amherst, right outside of buffalo. Probably 10-15 minutes to the airport.

"hair-challenged" :lmao: Both of mine seem to fit this bill. DD has more hair than DS did, but she's still really bald. You only notice her hair because it's red. I think they did a great job with your DS's hair. Did you just get to explain how you wanted it done? DS wouldn't tolerate more than a trim, I'm sure. He gives me long lectures about how much he loves his curly hair :rolleyes: (he has ringlets, it's beautiful!) and how his curly hair makes him who he is. He MAY have an identity crisis when we cut it, even just an inch or two! I told him, "sometimes people think you're a girl when you have long hair because they expect girls to have long hair." And he told me, "That's okay Mommy, it doesn't bother me." :hippie: I guess if you're going to be a little hippie, you better be a self-confident one!

Well, if you can survive not going back for a nap every day with 3 little ones, I can definitely handle it with two. ;)

Can't wait for more!

Lol I didn't realize I didn't have my location listed. We live in Amherst, right outside of buffalo. Probably 10-15 minutes to the airport.

"hair-challenged" :lmao: Both of mine seem to fit this bill. DD has more hair than DS did, but she's still really bald. You only notice her hair because it's red. I think they did a great job with your DS's hair. Did you just get to explain how you wanted it done? DS wouldn't tolerate more than a trim, I'm sure. He gives me long lectures about how much he loves his curly hair :rolleyes: (he has ringlets, it's beautiful!) and how his curly hair makes him who he is. He MAY have an identity crisis when we cut it, even just an inch or two! I told him, "sometimes people think you're a girl when you have long hair because they expect girls to have long hair." And he told me, "That's okay Mommy, it doesn't bother me." :hippie: I guess if you're going to be a little hippie, you better be a self-confident one!

Well, if you can survive not going back for a nap every day with 3 little ones, I can definitely handle it with two. ;)

Can't wait for more!

We live in Gowanda. My husband works in Amherst (at Northrup Grumman)!

Our barber did ask how I wanted Matthew's hair cut, but I didn't really know what to say since there wasn't that much to work with anyway. Then she said, "Boy cut?" and I nodded yes since I didn't really have any other ideas! Are you sure you want DS's hair trimmed? It sounds so beautiful!! Maybe he should just have the colored gel and "Pirate Dust".

Hoping to have time to get another update out tomorrow!

Oh, and I forgot to ask, how did you feel about having two strollers? I know with 3 kids it was probably unavoidable, but we're really torn between buying a double or using two singles (since we have like, four single strollers it pains me to shell out a couple hundred dollars for a new stroller. And then I'm terrified it will be stollen). Actually, we're thinking about trying to figure out how to attach two of our strollers into one double "frankenstroller" :lmao: but I doubt it will work. I know you had the car, so you didn't have to worry about busses or anything, but for in the park how did you think it was?

I really appreciate all the advice! :goodvibes

Yeah, northrup grumman is 5 minutes from my house! That's quite a commute your DH has every day! (Strangely, my brother works for Northrup Grumman, just in LA haha).

The "boy cut" turned out nicely, so she knew what she was doing!

And, for his hair, well, I figure I can't let this can't grow forever, right? :confused3

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/crlachepinochet/blog/100_5949.jpg

Oh my gosh, his hair is gorgeous!!! I bet you could just tell them you want a little trim and then you'd get a curl mixed with the confetti to take with you. Then he could have the "Pirate Dust" at the end! I've read you can get colored gel too, if that interests you. We thought about doing that for our older two, but then when she just did the confetti on their head with hairspray for free we figured that was good enough! Does your son want a trim?

My DH does have a big commute - 2 hours roundtrip. We love where we live though and he's willing to do it. We're on family land in my great-great grandparents farmhouse and are across from the Zoar Valley State Land.

Oh, and I forgot to ask, how did you feel about having two strollers? I know with 3 kids it was probably unavoidable, but we're really torn between buying a double or using two singles (since we have like, four single strollers it pains me to shell out a couple hundred dollars for a new stroller. And then I'm terrified it will be stollen). Actually, we're thinking about trying to figure out how to attach two of our strollers into one double "frankenstroller" :lmao: but I doubt it will work. I know you had the car, so you didn't have to worry about busses or anything, but for in the park how did you think it was?

I really appreciate all the advice! :goodvibes

For us, having the two strollers was great and if we were to go again tomorrow that's what I'd do. Here's where it was a real pain: getting on the trams from the parking lot to the park entrance (which you wouldn't need to do because you'd have the bus, but I think you'll still have to fold them up on the bus) and travelling on the Magic Kingdom Rail Road with them (which we just wouldn't do again). Those were a pain because we had to fold them up for both, and since we had several things in each stroller folding them up meant taking all the stuff out and then having that stuff, the two strollers, and the three kids to deal with. (Our stuff consisted of one lunch pack with snacks, juice boxes, etc., and one backpack with extra clothes, diapers, etc. There was also misc. loose stuff like their Mickey Ears hats when they tired of wearing them, the Kidcot Masks at Epcot, and sweatshirts that would get shed as the day warmed up, etc.) It was such a hassle for the tram that after the first time we just walked from the parking lots to the park entrances, even when it was a 10 minute walk. It was just easier to load the kids and all the stuff into the strollers directly from the car and go from there rather than having the added step of the tram. Once we got our system down it worked great. We did a LOT of walking on this trip. I lost 3pounds! And I've never lost weight on a vacation before. :thumbsup2

Will your kids nap comfortably in an umbrella stroller? The reason we brought the two "fancier" strollers instead of umbrella's was partly due to that. Matthew will only nap in the stroller with the back that adjusts to the lying down position and since we had days planned where we would not return for naps I knew he'd need that one. We packed two of his blankets on those days as well - his sleeping blanket to cover him up with and a bigger blanket to cover the stroller with so he'd have privacy and fall asleep. It worked great. As for the jogger, it was a super expensive gift one that I did not want to have stollen, but it was the only way I knew to get our other kids around comfortably. They're used to sitting like they did in the picture (Madeleine in the seat and Sam in the footrest) so even though it's not a double we use it like one all the time. Sam really needed to have a place to sit too - there was so much walking! Wait, did I say that already? :rotfl:

We never had any problem with stuff getting taken, but the CM's did move the strollers several times. We did see one couple talking to the park police at the Mexico pavillion one evening and apparantly their stroller was missing. It was just a chance we took and we were fortunate to not have any problems.

Sorry to be so long winded on this, but I think it's important to take what you think the kids will be most comfortable in and what will work best for you and your husband as far as transporting, folding up, etc. Think about how you travel for day trips now and go from there. Good luck!

On the stroller bit there are links that you can buy to attach two strollers together side by side. We have to bring ours that lays down as we will have a nine month old who I am sure will only sleep in the reclined position. We are thinking of renting though just so we do not have the hassle of dragging it through the airport etc and if it gets stolen then it is not our problem.
We are going May 11-18th. We have our nanny coming also but she will be with family for most of the time. We are mainly going to use her for a few hours in the evening a couple nights and possibly during a resort nap time for the younger ones while we ride bigger rides that we did not want to baby swap on.

Thanks for all the stroller input! Long winded is not a problem, I need all the advice I can get on this!

I did know about the things that link the strollers together, but I read that you need two of the same umbrella strollers. And we don't have them.

DS will nap in any stroller, DD, well, she's never napped anywhere but in a sling tied to me LOL, but I suspect some day she will nap in the stroller too. She's the most easy going child in the world.

It's really smart what you do with your jogger, and I might get my kids to try that on ours! Folding that up for the busses wouldn't work though.

Thanks for the "discussion", you've given me lots to think about! Now I must think and plan (which I may think is a pain but secretly I love it as well! Planning is half the fun!)

ETA: I forgot! If I were you, I wouldn't move either. An old farmhouse near zoar valley? That sounds beautiful, it's my dream! Worth every minute of that commute to come home to that! We live in the house I grew up in, but only because my dad died and my mom needed help with the house and my grandmother (who lives here too, she has Alzheimers and dementia and can't walk alone, on top of other issues). I'd take a farmhouse any day! (Haha. No, I really do enjoy living here. I know my mother would be so lonely living alone, and go crazy taking care of my grandma. It's a challenge sometimes, having a 4-generation home, but worth it, in this case. If my dad was still alive, I'd still be dreaming for the farmhouse though! :goodvibes)

And no, he hates the idea of a haircut. But by september, it's going to be pretty long. So if we're going to torture him with a trim, might as well do it at disney...:rolleyes1

I'm loving your TR thus far. ;) And your children are so adorable.

We're leaving on our vacation 2 weeks from today and your TR is helping me get in the mood. We just found out yesterday that my husband is taking a huge paycut and it's making it difficult to get excited because we need to be frugal. I'm SOOO ready for the Disney Magic because it's been a difficult year, and I know no matter what I can leave all my troubles behind once I walk through those gates.

We're going to get my DD's 1st haircut while we're there as well. She was bald up until she was 2 1/2. She turns 4 on March 25th. I've been waiting for a long, long time to fill out the "first haircut" page in her baby book. Thanks for sharing your experience and photos. :goodvibes

My DS just turned 2 months old on Monday and I'm thinking it's going to be a LONG time until he gets his first haircut too. For some reason I make some pretty bald babies.

jayden023.jpg

I'm looking forward to reading and seeing more. :thumbsup2

My DD will be three June 3rd and she is just now getting bangs. DH wants to trim her hair but I want to wait until Disney to do it with her which will be in May. Even then she will barely have enough hair! DD #2 actually was born with a full head of hair and even at six months she still has it!

DS will nap in any stroller, DD, well, she's never napped anywhere but in a sling tied to me LOL, but I suspect some day she will nap in the stroller too. She's the most easy going child in the world.

Thanks for the "discussion", you've given me lots to think about! Now I must think and plan (which I may think is a pain but secretly I love it as well! Planning is half the fun!)

ETA: I forgot! If I were you, I wouldn't move either. An old farmhouse near zoar valley? That sounds beautiful, it's my dream! Worth every minute of that commute to come home to that! We live in the house I grew up in, but only because my dad died and my mom needed help with the house and my grandmother (who lives here too, she has Alzheimers and dementia and can't walk alone, on top of other issues). I'd take a farmhouse any day! (Haha. No, I really do enjoy living here. I know my mother would be so lonely living alone, and go crazy taking care of my grandma. It's a challenge sometimes, having a 4-generation home, but worth it, in this case. If my dad was still alive, I'd still be dreaming for the farmhouse though! :goodvibes)

And no, he hates the idea of a haircut. But by september, it's going to be pretty long. So if we're going to torture him with a trim, might as well do it at disney...:rolleyes1

That's the best when babies will still nap in the sling! I wore Matthew at the airports to keep him nice and safe with me. :) He won't nap that way any longer though - I think he's just too big now to be comfortable.

Planning is half the fun! I'll admit, I got a bit obsessive about it though! :rolleyes1

I hope you get your farmhouse someday!

And yes, I agree that if your DD has to have a haircut anyway it might as well be at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter