1900 Park Fare Name Origin?

MickeyMaz

Always Remember the Magic
Does anyone know if the 1900 Park Fare over at the Grand Floridian is named after something?

I heard the WDWRadio guys talking about it this week and I never heard where this came from. I had assumed something Mary Poppins or something, but am not sure.

Anyone?

Although I don't know, I'm really surprised no one does. It's amazing how many names at WDW mean something.
Like Scatt Cat's is after the jazz term "scat"
Slappy Joe's at OKW is after a place in the real Key West
Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge is after a tourist spot in Yellowstone Park
I could go on and on-there are so many!
But on that same line, who's Narcoose?

The name was probably just chosen to be evocative of the Victorian era, which ended around 1900. But you can't help wondering if it was named after something specific.

The hotel itself is themed to represent a hotel that I think is in California (can't remember the name, but I saw a picture once and it looked exactly like it). Knowing that, I can't help but wonder if the name is somehow related to the name of a resturaunt at that hotel, just as several names at Old Key West are related to the actual Key West.
MickeyMaz-did you finally "stump the band"?

I know Narcooosee is a road in Orlando, might even be the name for a neighborhood. And there is some civil war reenactment called "battle of Narcoosee" held every year. I would guess that Narcoosee was a person, but I can't seem to find that info, so maybe not?:confused3

Is 1900 part of the address of the GF?

I am sure there are several stories.
The one that I believe is:

1) GF was an homage to Henry Morrison Flagler, who was industrialist, railroader, etc.
2) He developed a lot of Florida, including the railroad to Key West.
3) He also built the Ponce De Leon Hotel in St Augustine in 1887-1889.
4) The hotel was credited for tourism increases for Florida and St Augustine.
5) Inside, both the hotel promenade and hotel eatery were called "Park Fare".
6) The "1900" was a reference to the period the GF was meant to portray.
7) Thus, "1900 Pare Fare".

NOTE: When the GF opened, the Italian restaurant was named "Flagler's" in respect of HMF. The name was changed to Citricos in 1997, some said due to copyright violations for the use of the Flagler Restaurant name, of which there were already several, including one on Key West. It should also be noted that the train exhibit in the lobby of OKW represents the first Flagler train on the Key West route.

The hotel itself is themed to represent a hotel that I think is in California (can't remember the name, but I saw a picture once and it looked exactly like it). Knowing that, I can't help but wonder if the name is somehow related to the name of a resturaunt at that hotel, just as several names at Old Key West are related to the actual Key West.
MickeyMaz-did you finally "stump the band"?

It's not supposed to be the Hotel Del specifically. The Del is similar to the wooden Victorian beach resorts that used to exist in Florida but are mostly gone. Since the Del is a well-kept example, the Grand Floridian's architecture heavily draws from it.

Although I don't know, I'm really surprised no one does. It's amazing how many names at WDW mean something.

I thought Narcoose was similar to King Neptune? thought he was some type king of the sea?

Does anyone know if the 1900 Park Fare over at the Grand Floridian is named after something?

I heard the WDWRadio guys talking about it this week and I never heard where this came from. I had assumed something Mary Poppins or something, but am not sure.

Anyone?

1900 Park Fare was the address where Mary Poppins lived/worked. I don't remember the family's name.

Scat Cat was one of the cats from the Disney movie "The Aristocats" and the bar in Key West is "Sloppy Joe's".

1) The bar at OKW is "Gurgling Suitcase".
2) The reason
. . . people used to smuggle booze from Cuba to Key West in their bags
. . . after a while, the Customs Agents didn't have to open the bags
. . . they shook the luggage and listened for the bottle "gurgles"
. . . thus, "The Gurgling Suitcase"

TRUE STORY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter