15 Year Old Dressed as Tinkerbell Not Allowed in AK

It's silly that a 15 year old cried because she couldn't dress like Tinkerbell in a theme park.

It's silly that they called the news media.

The silliest thing however...is that ANY news media thought this was news fit to report.

Late Breaking Report

Live at 11!!!!!!!

Teen throws fit in 7-11 saying "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" sign is unconstitutional.

Add own crisis music.......

Agreed.

It's the kind of thing you'd see on The Onion, not from real news people.

The silliest thing however...is that ANY news media thought this was news fit to report.

Late Breaking Report

Live at 11!!!!!!!

Teen throws fit in 7-11 saying "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" sign is unconstitutional.

I completely agree that this isn't and shouldn't be news . . . but any story that paints Disney World in even a quasi negative light generates a lot of interest and "hits" on the news organizations' websites. Sadly, it isn't about what is "news" but about what sells.

And strangely, the Italians used Vangelis (who is Greek) for their "crisis music." I found it very satisfying, even if it wasn't a tuba concerto.

And strangely, the Italians used Vangelis (who is Greek) for their "crisis music." I found it very satisfying, even if it wasn't a tuba concerto.

Now that I think about it....there was a lot of slow motion running in Italy.;)

Personally, I feel sorry for her at 15 you are still classed as a child. What if she had the mental age for a five year old and wanted to be her favourite character is that wrong also? Disney encourage people to buy t shirts and hats and everything else so that we can indulge our love of our favourite characters no matter what age we are.

I do understand that they have rules and Disney did deal with it in an amazing way.

Personally, I feel sorry for her at 15 you are still classed as a child. What if she had the mental age for a five year old and wanted to be her favourite character is that wrong also? Disney encourage people to buy t shirts and hats and everything else so that we can indulge our love of our favourite characters no matter what age we are.

I do understand that they have rules and Disney did deal with it in an amazing way.
It would not be wrong for anyone who has the mental age of a five yo to want to dress up in the park. I knew such a person. He loved to dress up as Elvis and sing Elvis songs...not at WDW, but still. Not only is it not wrong, it can be a lot of fun for everyone. If dressing up inside the park is something they really want to do, I'd encourage the family to take them to MNSSHP.

But everyone has to follow the rules. A typical fifteen yo should not be crying because she has to take off her Tinkerbell costume. A fifteen yo with the mental age of five, I could see that.

To answer you signature question, just click on someone else's ticker.

Personally, I feel sorry for her at 15 you are still classed as a child. What if she had the mental age for a five year old and wanted to be her favourite character is that wrong also?

If she had the mental age of a 5 year old, she likely wouldn't have (nor would she be interested in having) a boyfriend.

While I agree this isn't a newsworthy story (human interest?) I do feel sorry for the girl. She obviously went to a LOT of trouble to do up that costume, and it was pretty awesome looking. To be anticipating it all this time, having a great morning at DHS, and then, suddenly be told she had to take it off or her day at the parks was over... That's sad. She's only 15. I agree ignorance of the rules is no excuse, and the CM was right to make her change, but I think she has every reason to cry.

Sayhello

While I agree this isn't a newsworthy story (human interest?) I do feel sorry for the girl. She obviously went to a LOT of trouble to do up that costume, and it was pretty awesome looking. To be anticipating it all this time, having a great morning at DHS, and then, suddenly be told she had to take it off or her day at the parks was over... That's sad. She's only 15. I agree ignorance of the rules is no excuse, and the CM was right to make her change, but I think she has every reason to cry.

Sayhello

My niece was 14 when went to Disney for MNSSHP and she dressed up as Wendy. She was a big hit and alot of CM's complimented her on her costume. After the party, we went to MK a couple nights later and she said "Hey, I could wear my Wendy costume again!" it wasn't a party night and I explained to her she wouldn't be allowed to wear it. She had no idea of the rules, but as the adult I did. Her parents should have checked this out ahead of time to make sure it was okay before letting her get all dressed up.

I love the fact that absolutely nobody cares about the boyfriend "trying" to look like Peter Pan. So obviously couldn't pull it off.

I don't get why she had to dress up. I mean isn't going to Disney parks special enough. Oh well to each their own. But the situation could have been worse. I mean they did offer her fastpasses and free clothes. They just didn't tell her to get the heck out.

It is Disney policy for a reason.

And where are her parents? She's 15 so she can't drive and probably doesn't have much of a job...who is supplying the make-up, clothes, disney tickets, transportation? I wouldn't let my 15 year old be on the news crying about this.

I'm not surprised the girl cried. My guess is that most 15 year old girls cry at just about everything. (I say this as a mom of two daughters.)

That being said, I support Disney's policy on this. I can totally see a 4 year old running up to the girl and wanting a picture. My guess is that attention was part of the appeal of dressing up. If she was the type of teenager that didn't want attention, she would not be dressing up as Tinkerbelle with a boyfriend as Peter Pan.
(On a side note: didn't the article say she was dressing up for her boyfriend? Did this mean it was the boyfriend's idea to dress up as Peter Pan?)

Disney goes through a lot of effort to screen, dress, etc their characters. Besides for children's safety, they also have an image to uphold and don't want amateur costumed people to be confused with their official ones. (I'm guessing). Some kid could be remembering their Disney vacation thinking Peter Pan looked a bit, um, less than clean cut.

Correction:
I just reread the article (sorry, difficult to go back and forth on my iPad).
It said she wanted to make her boyfriend's first visit special, so she dressed up.
Can you imagine what the boyfriend is thinking? (My first visit to Disney World, I dress up as Peter Pan for my girlfriend, and it's all over the news.).

Correction:
I just reread the article (sorry, difficult to go back and forth on my iPad).
It said she wanted to make her boyfriend's first visit special, so she dressed up.
Can you imagine what the boyfriend is thinking? (My first visit to Disney World, I dress up as Peter Pan for my girlfriend, and it's all over the news.).

Yeah, I was thinking that would be a hard one to live down at school. :rotfl:

OMG....I cannot believe how this story has spread! When I saw it, it was just on Click Orlando, but in my Disney Google news email this morning, it was everywhere. CNN, MSNBC, tons of newspapers and other sites. Ummmmmmmm, I think the "news" needs to re-familiarize themselves with the term. :rolleyes:

Hahaha - love this!

It's silly that a 15 year old cried because she couldn't dress like Tinkerbell in a theme park.

It's silly that they called the news media.

Late Breaking Report

Live at 11!!!!!!!

This is unbelievable......Now the girl's father is saying his daughter was treated like a murderer.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/t...ney-world-girl-treated-like-a-murderer-76224/

OMG - this is ridiculous. In the article, the father states that there was a LINE of people following them, some asking for pics with them.......... THIS is the problem, Disney doesn't want some random person (implying) that they ARE a character. All sorts of issues can come up because of this.

I think Disney not only did the right thing, but went above and beyond in my opinion. SHE broke the rules, it was NOT her first time, nor her parents first time at Disney - I sincerly believe they KNEW the rules and were out for something. AND based on the media coverage - and CONTINUED media coverage, I'm guessing I'm right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter