15 y.os at DHS alone

NUHuskies#1

My kids speak in COD code.. I don't know what it m
Hi there,
We have agreed to let our 15 y.o bring a friend with him for our trip in June. He is our youngest son and has been to WDW every year since he was an infant. He knows his way around the parks and resorts very well and is very responsible- a wonderful boy. His friend has never been and excited for his first trip. Do you think it’s ok to let them go to DHS for one day on their own? We are DVC members and will be staying on site. I’m sure this has been discussed before but I couldn’t locate a dedicated thread.
TIA

15? Definitely. I've done family trips with my sister's kids and they started going off on their own at that age or maybe a little younger. We always met up as a group for dinner then they went their own way again.

I'm assuming you know your kid and trust his behavior! :) I hope they have a great time!

Yes. Just tell the newbie to stick with the friend, and I assume they have cell phones to communicate. It will be fine. I loved the freedom on our last trip, letting the kids go into MK by themselves while we sat at Ohanas Lounge, or going to AK for EMH one morning while we stayed at the resort. They were 15.5 and 13 at the time.

Yes ..iam taking my kids 16,12,6, 4 by myself soon and I expect to leave the big ones at the park when the littles are done for the day.. :)
I think it will prob be their most “ magical “ time on vacation

15 ? of course! what a blast are they going to have. I don’t see much difference between any Disney park and let’s say a local Mall. At least one kid knows his way around and I’m assuming both are responsible well educated and won’t cause any trouble.

I would do this (obviously everyone knows their own children best and at 15 there are still varying levels of maturity/ responsibility). I do suggest having designated times/ places to check in. Maybe meet for lunch/ snack assuming you’re also going to the park, or if they have phones check in periodically.

Like you our son has been to DW since he was a baby. When he first asked to go a park on his own at almost 16 I cringed it wasn't because of safety but because of realizing that yikers he really is growing up!!!. Your son and friend will be fine. It definitely changed DH and mine visits a bit but it's all good!!

My 15 year old spent the summer taking the train down the shore and into NYC with her friends. The year before, they had season passes to Great Adventure and were just dropped off. I think most 12+ year olds would be fine at an amusement park for the day (I know WDW requires them to be 14).

Definitely!

There are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of 15 year old South American girls who tour WDW while their Parents are in another COUNTRY!:)

28358124802_af8d3bbc05_c.jpg

Definitely!

There are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of 15 year old South American girls who tour WDW while their Parents are in another COUNTRY!:)

28358124802_af8d3bbc05_c.jpg
Well there's incentive for a 15-y-o and his friend to go to the Parks alone.... LOL

OP: have him check in on his phone (if you have MemoryMaker you can see where they get pics taken ;) and have a lunch or snack with them.

Hi there,
We have agreed to let our 15 y.o bring a friend with him for our trip in June. He is our youngest son and has been to WDW every year since he was an infant. He knows his way around the parks and resorts very well and is very responsible- a wonderful boy. His friend has never been and excited for his first trip. Do you think it’s ok to let them go to DHS for one day on their own? We are DVC members and will be staying on site. I’m sure this has been discussed before but I couldn’t locate a dedicated thread.
TIA
Yep, our started at 14, and has had no issues!

The week i turned 13, my parents allowed me to take the monorail from the Poly to MK for the evening. I had a 4 year old sister, I'm sure she (and they) were exhausted, and off I went. I LOVED it, I rode PP a few times and a few other rides and headed back to the Poly. I'm assuming this was before Disney had an official "age" and it was long before the age of cell phones (very early 90s). It was one of my absolute favorite Disney memories. :)

The week i turned 13, my parents allowed me to take the monorail from the Poly to MK for the evening. I had a 4 year old sister, I'm sure she (and they) were exhausted, and off I went. I LOVED it, I rode PP a few times and a few other rides and headed back to the Poly. I'm assuming this was before Disney had an official "age" and it was long before the age of cell phones (very early 90s). It was one of my absolute favorite Disney memories. :)
My parents let me do the same at age 10 (late 70’s). So fun.

Well there's incentive for a 15-y-o and his friend to go to the Parks alone.... LOL

OP: have him check in on his phone (if you have MemoryMaker you can see where they get pics taken ;) and have a lunch or snack with them.

MemoryMaker is a great idea! My middle son, now 21 used our DVC for HS graduation with four friends. It was great seeing pictures of them on rides while they were down there. They were having a great time! They even had a picture taken of the five of them in front of the castle and had it framed for us as a present.

is age 14 restriction enforced? My son will be almost 14 and looks 18. And does it only apply to entering the parks? Can he take disney transportation to disney springs or whereever if he is under 14 pursuant to Disney's rules? Thinking there is a chance he might want to go before us in the morning or stay later. I have no problem with it but I am trying to figure out whether it is against disney rules and if those rules are enforced. I doubt he would break the rules no matter what but its good to know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter