12 ways of getting in & out of a timeshare presentation within the 90 - 120 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a sweet but slightly dim coworker who was bragging about how he was going to do a time share sales pitch ONLY for the free trip to Vegas. Sweet/dim was a bad combo, next thing I know he's telling me how he will one day pass on his newly-purchased timeshare to his niece.

Holy cow! A nine year old zombie thread!
:rotfl2: That was my exact thought!

Interesting how things have changed in a decade and with the entire bank crisis and downturn in the US. TS salesmen haven't changed much, but the offerings have; although I disagree with FL having the worst. I think they've been to best of all my experiences; but in FL that's been limited to Starwood.

Most of these tips were pretty radical. If I agree to 90 minutes, and I have done my time and am no longer enjoying it, I get up and leave "thank you our time is now up". It's not like they can hold you hostage (in the US). Sometimes I stay longer if I am interested in what they are saying, or am enjoying the conversation, but most of the time that's just wasting the salesman's time.

:rotfl2: That was my exact thought!

Interesting how things have changed in a decade and with the entire bank crisis and downturn in the US. TS salesmen haven't changed much, but the offerings have; although I disagree with FL having the worst. I think they've been to best of all my experiences; but in FL that's been limited to Starwood.

Most of these tips were pretty radical. If I agree to 90 minutes, and I have done my time and am no longer enjoying it, I get up and leave "thank you our time is now up". It's not like they can hold you hostage (in the US). Sometimes I stay longer if I am interested in what they are saying, or am enjoying the conversation, but most of the time that's just wasting the salesman's time.
The worst experience I had was in Hawaii at the Hilton Waikoloa Village. We did the tour for $200 in hotel credit and a bunch of HHonors points. We were very clear that we were not buying since my DH had a ton of HHonors points and we owned at DVC. At the end of the 90 minutes, the salesperson literally pointed to a photo of her son and told us that we were taking food out of his mouth by not buying :charac2:. She then made us wait for another 30 minutes alone while she wandered away (probably passive aggressively getting back at us). We finally tracked down the manager to get out of there since we had to pick up our DD from the childcare by a certain time. I was furious that we were treated so poorly but I held my tongue at the time or I would have blown my top. I wanted to go back and report her but once I was out of there I didn't want to go back. The Westgate salespeople were pikers compared to that woman.

Last year, my husband and I did a Westgate tour in Myrtle Beach for $100 in cash and some other small gifts. We only live 2.5 hrs from there and go often. We didn't think it was a bad idea. We've gone on tours before and knew what to expect, We own in Hilton Head. Anyway, this turned out to the longest, most high pressure tour we'd ever experienced. Nothing we said could get us out and we were going on 3 hrs. We had to check out of our resort but the timeshare salesperson didn't care. Well, I am pre-diabetic and didn't really eat their breakfast because it was full of sugar. I had coffee and a dry english muffin, if I remember correctly. While we were at the table with at least the 3rd rep trying to get us to buy, I told my husand I wasn't feeling good and probably needed to eat and this was true. The timeshare person asked my husband if I was ok. He told him I had problems with my blood sugar and ....... My husband never finished his sentence. We were out of there in 2 seconds. So now my hubby said this is what we need to say each and every time.

to me - it's not worth it to put up with that pressure. I'd rather just pay for a cheap off-site hotel and be done with it.

to me - it's not worth it to put up with that pressure. I'd rather just pay for a cheap off-site hotel and be done with it.

Agreed, but while I hate timeshare sales people, I love having a full kitchen and some space, and you don't have to deal with salespeople to be able to stay in a nice 2 BR condo for under $100/night. We bought our timeshare from owners who listed it on the Internet, so no salespeople involved. :) It's also possible to stay in them without dealing with a sales pitch, however I have been to two of those -- the first time we stayed in a TS, when hubby signed me up even though I had said In No Uncertain Terms that I wouldn't (but I caved and went because he really wanted to), and then the second time when we were staying in Wyndham Nashville and someone called and said they'd "just be by to drop some information off" and he absentmindedly said YES! :mad: He insisted they wouldn't come in, but of course he opens the door and the saleslady walked right in and made herself at home while he's telling her we're "just heading out." :rolleyes:

But unless you marry a Timeshare Benedict Arnold like my hubby, it's pretty easy to stay in a TS without having to deal with a sales pitch; some places it's not even an issue, other places you just need to check ahead of time how to head off the guys who sign you up. We've been staying in Timeshares for years, and every time but those two for us, it's quick chat when you pick up your parking pass, take the phone off the hook when you get to the room, done. If you should be taking a trip where space is important to you, don't cross timeshares off your list for the sake of the salespeople. Don't agree to see them, either, of course, but if you're just staying in the condo as a rental or through RCI, salespeople are not that hard to avoid if you want to. My only problem is, hubby doesn't feel strongly about avoiding them. :p

Going to our first presentation the first week of June.............will report back when we are done with it!
Just don't buy anything. Remember a couple of things:
1) If the salesman's lips are moving, (s)he's lying.
2) Whatever they offer can be purchased for pennies to the dollar resale. Okay, DVC is probably quarters on the dollar.
3) The deal that they say is only available today? They have been offering for the past 6 months, and will be offering for the next 6 months.

I have met some personable salespeople, and a few duds. I don't do the presentations often, but if it's worth my while, I will. For example next month I have 3 nights at an Orlando timeshare we own at for the "owners update" (TS presentation) which allows me to extend our vacation for only $50/nt. That's worth 90 minutes of my time, and I'll have some fun with the salesperson before I say no. I just hope they are an interesting person to talk to.

YMMV This may not work in foreign countries... After a few minutes tell the salesman how great the deal sounds. Ask why doesn't everyone buy. Quickly ask if you can use your credit card for a deposit. You'll be out in well under an hour. You've already located the nearest post office and will be mailing your recession letter a few minutes after you leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter