100 pt Direct Blue Card Minimum September 17,2019

Being a resale owner, I do have a bit of FOMO and was slightly considering buying 75 direct down the line. 100 points is definitely not worth it for us though. We have more than enough points already and really don’t need any more. It would just be for the benefits, but $16,000+ is just way too much to pay for incidental extras.

I would be interested in paying a fee to upgrade my resale points to direct depending on the price...maybe that’s the direction they’re going in next?

I would got 3 x 50 points if possible. Even if it same UY / resort. Since it's direct, it's just more closing costs only, but the 50 points contract seems to sell fast and for a premium comes resale time.

I do agree with you. And I always split my direct purchases. But one thing to mention is that the direct closing costs keep going up and up (what doesn't). The last two 50 point contracts I bought had closing costs of ~$560 each (that is no financing, closing costs are more with financing, too), so it adds >$500 ($10/point, so one needs to make sure the market premium on 50 points is >$10/point).

I do agree with you. And I always split my direct purchases. But one thing to mention is that the direct closing costs keep going up and up (what doesn't). The last two 50 point contracts I bought had closing costs of ~$560 each (that is no financing, closing costs are more with financing, too), so it adds >$500 ($10/point, so one needs to make sure the market premium on 50 points is >$10/point).

You also need to assign a value (this is dependent on the individual) for the optionality to sell some but not ALL of your points. If you buy 50x2, you have the option of selling 50 or all 100, whereas if you buy 100x1 you lose that option. I would personally find a decent amount of value in that, so if the premium on 50 vs. 100 points resale is even in the ballpark, someone may find it worth paying the extra $500-600 upfront - the premium need not be >$10.

Is it worth trying to squeeze a 75 point direct in? Or do you think they’ll do a straight bump with no grandfathering?

So my guide called and let me know they just got out of a meeting where they were told that the new minimum for a Blue Card will be 100 starting on 9/17. Previous contracts will be grandfathered in under the 75 or 25 point requirements. Also, the minimum for a new master contract will be 100 points.

3) Buy 75 direct now, but with a different use year than our resale points (probably a September use year). Opinion on the boards seems split on whether this is a manageable situation or a giant headache.
Not for nothing, but Disney can give you whatever use year you want.

Edit:
Oh yeah, original post was you are buying direct first - sorry. Yeah, sure, comb through the resale contracts and see what UY is most prevalent for which resort you want to buy at, pick that UY, roll the dice that you'll be able to lock down a resale with the same UY later.

Not for nothing, but Disney can give you whatever use year you want.

My understanding from talking to my guide today is that this is true *within the current calendar year*.

For example, say I want 75 points at SSR. Today is September 9. If I want any use year between February and September, I would be buying direct and getting 2019 points. If I want a use year of October or December, because we're not in those months yet, Disney would need to allocate me 2018 points. For every resort except for RIV, Aulani, and CCV, right now, 2018 points are waitlisted.

My guide said that after 10/1, it would be easier to buy direct for October use year (and same after 12/1 for December use year), but of course that's after the 9/17 deadline so doesn't do me any good.

You also need to assign a value (this is dependent on the individual) for the optionality to sell some but not ALL of your points. If you buy 50x2, you have the option of selling 50 or all 100, whereas if you buy 100x1 you lose that option. I would personally find a decent amount of value in that, so if the premium on 50 vs. 100 points resale is even in the ballpark, someone may find it worth paying the extra $500-600 upfront - the premium need not be >$10.
I was thinking of maybe going 75 + 50 + 25, depending on closing costs. Can't imagine ever dropping below 75 points, so having the option to sell either 25 , 50 or 75 points is nice

Did anyone's guide confirm whether they are raising the minimum purchase for Riviera to 100 points for new members? If so, I find that interesting.

Given the high point charts I think it's appropriate (75 was OK for CCV) but you'd think raising the minimum buy-in by 33% could hurt sales.

Edit:
Oh yeah, original post was you are buying direct first - sorry. Yeah, sure, comb through the resale contracts and see what UY is most prevalent for which resort you want to buy at, pick that UY, roll the dice that you'll be able to lock down a resale with the same UY later.

So technically I'm buying sort of simultaneously.

80 points BCV resale, Oct UY. Already passed ROFR, should close this week.
100 points SSR resale, Oct UY, still waiting on ROFR, coinflip whether Disney will take it or not.

The original plan was to wait until we close those 2 resales, then add another 75 direct SSR. But now, given the waitlist situation for October UY direct points, this plan no longer works. :(

I was thinking of maybe going 75 + 50 + 25, depending on closing costs. Can't imagine ever dropping below 75 points, so having the option to sell either 25 , 50 or 75 points is nice
That was my same logic. I made my master contract 75 points so I could always have direct points with full rights to "membership." Any resale purchases or if I decide to sell the smaller contract afterward won't matter. I figure I will keep the 75 point master contract as long as I want to be a DVC member. My closing cost was $224.05 more to split. It didn't seem like much to make myself feel better if I wanted to dump the smaller contract before the 75 point one.

You know the other thing about the timing of this? It's the end of Disney's fiscal year. If their sales are lower than budget they might be looking for this to produce a quick uptick in purchases to finish out their year.

So my guide called and let me know they just got out of a meeting where they were told that the new minimum for a Blue Card will be 100 starting on 9/17. Previous contracts will be grandfathered in under the 75 or 25 point requirements. Also, the minimum for a new master contract will be 100 points.
I would think if they did not grandfather the 25 and 75 point ad on contracts they would have to strip incidentals from every resale contract as well. That would be bad.

So technically I'm buying sort of simultaneously.

80 points BCV resale, Oct UY. Already passed ROFR, should close this week.
100 points SSR resale, Oct UY, still waiting on ROFR, coinflip whether Disney will take it or not.

The original plan was to wait until we close those 2 resales, then add another 75 direct SSR. But now, given the waitlist situation for October UY direct points, this plan no longer works. :(
Just some unsolicited advice from someone who was in similar shoes when they raised the threshold to 75 points. The day after my first resale purchased closed they announced the the change. I had originally planned to add on 50 points to get the benefits (i know it was only 25 at the time but I never could find a 275 point contract on the resale market so my plan was to do 250 resale and 50 direct). Since my contract just closed it was unlikely to be in Disney’s system in time for the change so that I could add on at the lower point requirement. I called that day to purchase a 50 point contract with the same UY and the guide told me they didn’t have my UY and it was very unlikely that points would come thru before the change. So I got a different UY and got my points that day. The only problem is if you intend to use the contract with your resale contract and not independently it really is a pain. Everyone says it, but until you actually have to use the 2 different UYs together you don’t appreciate the headache it will be. It is so much more seamless and easy to have all the points you plan to use together in 1 UY. If you plan to use the contracts separately, then the UY doesn’t really matter too much.

I have a blue card because I went ahead and got points in a different UY. But, I also now have another contract that is pending to put more points in that UY so I don’t have to worry about combining points for one trip from 2 different UYs. So that blue card saves me money with each purchase of an AP and souvenir, but the 2 different UYs ended up costing me more money. YMMV.

Edited: there were way to many replies in there to people I was not trying to reply to. 🤷🏻‍♀️

So let’s say I buy a 75 point 2042 contract. Would I lose my blue card at 2042 despite my resales going to 2066? I would assume so but I guess there’s a slim chance it’s tied to the member number

So let’s say I buy a 75 point 2042 contract. Would I lose my blue card at 2042 despite my resales going to 2066? I would assume so but I guess there’s a slim chance it’s tied to the member number
Your direct rights are tied to a contract. Therefore once that contract ceases to exist (resort expires in your case) you lose all benefits that the contract gave you.

Did anyone's guide confirm whether they are raising the minimum purchase for Riviera to 100 points for new members? If so, I find that interesting.

Given the high point charts I think it's appropriate (75 was OK for CCV) but you'd think raising the minimum buy-in by 33% could hurt sales.
Yes, 100 minimum for new members at Riviera and minimum add on of 50 points.

If Disney really wanted to incentivize direct sales for resale members it would make more sense to move towards a tiered membership structure for existing members rather than direct vs resale memberships.

For example, if you buy 25 points, you get access to online member benefits, like early access to runDisney registration. At 50 points you can book member exclusive tours/tastings like the Soarin’ tour. At 100 you get lounges, and Member Magic.

It’ll never happen, but if I’d consider paying the direct premium for a small add-on if it meant I was getting something out of the deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter