“Optional Dress Up” attire

rere101399

DISmom
In looking at past Navigators, it looks like the 4 night Bahamaian cruises typically have one night listed as “optional dress up” attire. I’d love to know more about what to expect to wear for this dress code. How do most people interpret this directive? For men, women and young children. Are we talking button up/chinos, no tie? Jacket? Jacket plus tie?

You will see the whole spectrum. From the people who exercise the option and don't dress up (shorts/tshirt; jeans/polo) to the ones that emphasize the dress up (tux/gowns) and everything in between. I think most people who choose to dress up do cocktail dress and jacket/tie. But just as many will just do something a little nicer than their daytime shorts/tshirts (more toward business casual) but nothing fancy. The option is there for you to dress however you are comfortable.

I find the folks who dress up generally do it to get some nice pictures. One thing I like about the shorter cruise is not having to pack any dress clothes. Over the years we see less folks dress up for formal night on the 7 night cruises too. Our last 7 night was February this year and out of our servers 3 tables, only my husband and I were semi-dressed up.....which was just a shirt & tie for hubby and a cocktail dress for me. With luggage limits to fly, it’s too much work to pack a lot of clothes.

I would love to hear from some of the more veteran cruisers on this topic. We have only been cruising with DCL for just 10 years and this is one of the items that seems to be “dumbing down”. Historically it seems that the dress for dinner was a little more consistent. You almost never saw someone at dinner in shorts, even on cruise casual evenings. Formal night was typically tux, suit, shirt and tie or jacket and collared shirt for men and dresses or evening gown for ladies.

Last month we saw shorts at dinner on semi-formal night on a 7day cruise. I’ll give the shorter cruises a little more slack but it seems like this is getting almost too relaxed. I am not saying everyone has to dress up but the stated “rules” should be the guide. Disney will never be too harsh on this since they want to get your $$$$ but it seems like if someone does not want to dress for the MDR have other dining options.

One thing I like about the shorter cruise is not having to pack any dress clothes. ...With luggage limits to fly, it’s too much work to pack a lot of clothes.

Wouldn’t that be opposite? On a longer cruise you should be packing more overall so less space for the extra outfit than the shorter cruise.

That is unless you follow the rule 4 days for one pair of undies - inside, outside, front then backwards... :rotfl2:

On our 5-night Magic cruise back in May we didn't think there was any sort of 'formal night' since DCL sent out an email saying such. We weren't really planning on dressing up much anyways but definitely didn't pack anything 'nice' other than for our Palo dinner. Then on Day 4 saw the Navigator said "optional dress up" and when we went to the atrium around 4:30pm were surprised with how many people were dressed up and thought we'd be out of place at dinner. Then we got to dinner (late seating) and it seemed like no one was dressed up. So I agree with the PP who said most people who do dress up do it for pictures, not that they don't stay dressed up for dinner but it feels different being in an atrium full of people taking pics vs. in the MDR with everyone else.

Honestly, you are wear whatever you want whatever the night and you won't feel out of place. I think they just have a no swimwear in the MDR rule (and maybe no tank-tops for men which I think really means just no white-ribbed tanks).

Some will dress up , some will be middle off the road [like we were] and some will have on regular every day clothes. Just do what you prefer. I liked the chance to dress up a little but we did not go over the top. As a matter of fact, I dint recall seeing anyone who was extremely dressed up.

We enjoy once a year dressing up, but its not much. I have the same LBD I've worn on every cruise and my DH has the same one nice shirt, slacks, and his big turquoise bolo tie he wears.

We're getting ready for a 4-night cruise too. We'll be dressing up(suit/tie, dresses) for the optional formal night since I want family pics this trip. It''ll also be the first trip to Palo for the kids. In the past, guys have worn polo shirt/chinos and girls have worn capris/casual dress.

Are the characters in their full-on formal wear even on the 4-day cruises?

We dress up every night for dinner but couldn't care less what other people do. Do what makes you happy; you'll be fine anywhere from casual to formal.

I forgot about optional dress-up night until I was walking my kids to oceaneer club and saw a family of 4 dressed up really nice, looking down on my familiy dressed in our jeans and tee shirts... :rolleyes2
Just do you. Let them worry about them (if that's a concern :confused3). I'll dress nicer next time because I want to though, they did look pretty. :laughing:

When we first cruised DCL in 2010, we bought my dad a tux (it was on sale for less than $100 - came with the jacket, shirt, vest, tie, and 2 pairs of pants). For DCL cruises, we no longer pack it. Even optional dress up night is so much more casual than it was 6-8 years ago.

if you want pictures, I'd suggest looking at co-ordinating outfits (like similar colours or similar styles). Don't worry about going out and spending money on something you'll wear only once (especially for kids). Stick to the basics like a simple pair of long pants and a polo shirt (think school uniform style).

In looking at past Navigators, it looks like the 4 night Bahamaian cruises typically have one night listed as “optional dress up” attire. I’d love to know more about what to expect to wear for this dress code. How do most people interpret this directive? For men, women and young children. Are we talking button up/chinos, no tie? Jacket? Jacket plus tie?

The operative word here is "optional". As others have said, you'll see a whole range of dress, from people dressing to the max (though I'm seeing this less as the years go by) to people not dressing up at all (shorts, t-shirts, etc.). Dressing up is completely optional. On our last Fantasy cruise in March, every evening, including the optional dress up night, my DH and DS10 wore dress shorts with polos and I wore a sundress. We were some of the more dressed up folks every night.

I would love to hear from some of the more veteran cruisers on this topic. We have only been cruising with DCL for just 10 years and this is one of the items that seems to be “dumbing down”. Historically it seems that the dress for dinner was a little more consistent. You almost never saw someone at dinner in shorts, even on cruise casual evenings. Formal night was typically tux, suit, shirt and tie or jacket and collared shirt for men and dresses or evening gown for ladies.

Last month we saw shorts at dinner on semi-formal night on a 7day cruise. I’ll give the shorter cruises a little more slack but it seems like this is getting almost too relaxed. I am not saying everyone has to dress up but the stated “rules” should be the guide. Disney will never be too harsh on this since they want to get your $$$$ but it seems like if someone does not want to dress for the MDR have other dining options.

Well, the actual, stated rule is no swimwear and no tank tops, so as long as a guest is adhering to the DCL rule, they will be seated in the MDR. The formal night "rule" is, it's optional. While I agree less and less people are dressing up, since it's optional, no one HAS to do it and shouldn't have to eat elsewhere if they choose not to dress up. The only restaurants with stricter dress codes on DCL are Palo and Remy. While some of the more luxurious, "mature" cruise lines, like Seven Seas, have strict dinner dress codes, DCL is not one of them.

I would love to hear from some of the more veteran cruisers on this topic. We have only been cruising with DCL for just 10 years and this is one of the items that seems to be “dumbing down”. Historically it seems that the dress for dinner was a little more consistent.

“Back in the day,” not only did you have a formal night, but jackets were required for men when you dined in Lumiere’s! We always tried to get Lumiere’s on formal night so that would kill two birds with one stone! I believe the last time I experienced this was our 2002 cruise.

Well, the actual, stated rule is no swimwear and no tank tops, so as long as a guest is adhering to the DCL rule, they will be seated in the MDR. The formal night "rule" is, it's optional. While I agree less and less people are dressing up, since it's optional, no one HAS to do it and shouldn't have to eat elsewhere if they choose not to dress up. The only restaurants with stricter dress codes on DCL are Palo and Remy. While some of the more luxurious, "mature" cruise lines, like Seven Seas, have strict dinner dress codes, DCL is not one of them.

Thanks, yes I agree that the rules are open and people wear what they want. What I was asking was the changes to dress code. Was it a loosening of the rules or has it changed over the years. Scott’s blog did verify at least some of the changes over time.

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...vises-cruise-casual-attire-to-include-shorts/

When I first cruised DCL back in the dark ages shorts were never allowed in the MDR. Formal Eve was full of folks in long gowns and tux. Palo did not allow jeans and men had to wear ties and jackets.
I actually loved it. It was my once a year opportunity to wear clothes that I would never wear at home, and I have to take two flights and pay for a hold bag to accommodate this.
However, DCL have now basically done away with any dress code whatsoever everywhere, so no holed jeans in Palo the last time I was there meant that some diners wore frayed holed dirty jeans with T’s and runners and weren’t turned away. Short shorts are worn in the MDR’s and some people just wore cruise casual like that on formal night.
So the answer to this question is wear whatever you want whenever you want to wherever you want. DCL don’t appear to mind.
I’m going to buck the trend by doing what I want too so I still bring out my long beaded, sequinned gowns for formal night, cocktail dresses for semi formal or dress up night, and dressy dresses for Palo. For me that’s part of my cruise experience just as much as cruise casual is for others.
Do what works for you.

When I first cruised DCL back in the dark ages shorts were never allowed in the MDR. Formal Eve was full of folks in long gowns and tux. Palo did not allow jeans and men had to wear ties and jackets.
I actually loved it. It was my once a year opportunity to wear clothes that I would never wear at home, and I have to take two flights and pay for a hold bag to accommodate this.
However, DCL have now basically done away with any dress code whatsoever everywhere, so no holed jeans in Palo the last time I was there meant that some diners wore frayed holed dirty jeans with T’s and runners and weren’t turned away. Short shorts are worn in the MDR’s and some people just wore cruise casual like that on formal night.
So the answer to this question is wear whatever you want whenever you want to wherever you want. DCL don’t appear to mind.
I’m going to buck the trend by doing what I want too so I still bring out my long beaded, sequinned gowns for formal night, cocktail dresses for semi formal or dress up night, and dressy dresses for Palo. For me that’s part of my cruise experience just as much as cruise casual is for others.
Do what works for you.
You still cannot wear open toed shoes to Palo if you are a man. My husband got turned away.

Do what works for you.
Same. Same. Same. Same. Same!

We enjoy dressing for dinner;it makes every night Date Night! I bring my tux (even got a white dinner jacket for our S. Caribbean cruise) and DW enjoys her gowns. Kids...not so much but DS 15 groans and puts on a jacket & tie for formal night while one DD 13 jumps into her dress while the other DD13 groans into hers. Other nights, the kids will wear collared shirt & trousers for DS and a nice outfit for DDs. It's part of th fun for us. I don't care what others wear as long as it's not...well, gross.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!