“On the Disney Cruise...FINAL THOUGHTS 02/13

Here's another little teaser:
http://www.magicalmountain.net/foru...ld-ducks-alaskan-adventure-with-disney-cruise

We are looking forward to the repo, which we booked on points. I keep saying I can't believe I booked a cold cruise, but it will be a fun adventure. Part of the reasoning for us was being able to get to LA and back home from Vancouver reasonably compared to getting the the East Coast. I am really looking forward to getting off in Vancouver and taking the train to Stanwood to see my DSIS. Just keep working on Jeff, he will come onboard! pirate:

Here's another little teaser:
http://www.magicalmountain.net/foru...ld-ducks-alaskan-adventure-with-disney-cruise

We are looking forward to the repo, which we booked on points. I keep saying I can't believe I booked a cold cruise, but it will be a fun adventure. Part of the reasoning for us was being able to get to LA and back home from Vancouver reasonably compared to getting the the East Coast. I am really looking forward to getting off in Vancouver and taking the train to Stanwood to see my DSIS. Just keep working on Jeff, he will come onboard! pirate:

He's actually onboard. The challenge was/is the family of 4 versus 6 issue. Disney cruises, or any actually, just aren't set up for a family larger than 4.

The cruise only works if it's 4 of us. Which makes me sad but...at the same time K wouldn't be able to go without a HUGE fight over soccer that we are not willing to have and T is not all that interested. Granted we assume that about T, he might like it, might be bored out of his mind, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. :rotfl:

According to their mom they aren't "interested" in family vacations anymore.

Which, to a large degree, I don't take personally. At 14.5 and 18 I wasn't either. It does mean, however, that neither of us are willing to kill ourselves financially or limit our vacation options to work around it.

Which does open the door up for...Alaska.

We shall see!

So how will that work, Vancouver to Stanwood and then back to the boat in Vancouver? Just curious. I didn't realize that was the train route which is a bit pathetic given that we did the train from Seattle to Vancouver just last Nov. We considered the train as an option to get us to the cruise but I think just going there straight from Whistler works even better!

Tammie-- i do hope that there wasn't a fish in that Mens room LOL crap vs carp....I crack myself up!

Thank you!:hug:

Hi Ellen! Happy New Year! Let's see - would we cruise RCCL again? Maybe, but our general feeling is that if we are paying for a cruise, we want it to be Disney.
There were some things we liked better - our cabin was nicer, and our balcony was bigger - although with a family, the split bathroom on Disney is really great.
The overall service and attitude on Disney was much better. On Disney, CMs are there at every turn to give you that magical experience, and make you feel like their only purpose for being there is to help you have a wonderful, relaxed time. I think the entertainment on Disney was way better, too!

On Liberty, while the service was overall pretty good, I just wasn't feeling the magic. I had the feeling that their purpose was to see how much money they could get us to spend. :confused3 Disney has many more free perks.
Part of it is how we choose to spend our time, I think. I think alot of the scheduled activities just didn't fit our style, and trying to coordinate with other people who weren't on the same page as us was part of it, too.

Your location sounds great! And I would definitely grab breakfast and bring it to your own balcony! And, the room service might be good, too. We just gave up after our one experience. The food was overall very disappointing, and we could really tell they were cutting back on ingredients, but some have said that about Disney. I guess we'll find out in April.:woohoo:

I tried really hard to love it for what it was and not compare to Disney. We kept saying if this were our first cruise, we would have been amazed, but we know it can be done better. And, we felt like it was a disadvantage sometimes to be English speaking.

Whoa - you asked! I hope you aren't disappointed. If you don't mind crowds, the theme nights in the promenade were really fun! I thought if I were a teen or liked to gamble or Jim liked to dance, we would have had more to do.
does that make sense?pirate:

Edited to add: There were lots of people on that ship who are repeat cruisers, and love RCCL as much as we love Disney, and they always sail on LOS! It all comes down to taste, I think. (no pun intended for the food!)

Hey Tammie- thanks so much for your candor! I am not disappointed, I am just...cautious....about the whole thing. Ironically, this vacation on RCCL will cost a LOT more than our Disney cruises have, and I actually had a moment this weekend when I wanted to cancel it- because there have been some pretty awful reviews lately...but I then found (just as you said) lots of people saying how wonderful it was. So I think it will be fine- I just wish it would be GREAT! Oddly, the thing that's bugging me the most is the lack of a pool option for food. :confused3 That I just don't get!

Oh- and the food quality on DCL was VERY GOOD this trip- we all thought so. :thumbsup2 I enjoyed it all- well, maybe not those crab claws, they seemed frozen- but everything else was :thumbsup2!

Hey Tammie- thanks so much for your candor! I am not disappointed, I am just...cautious....about the whole thing. Ironically, this vacation on RCCL will cost a LOT more than our Disney cruises have, and I actually had a moment this weekend when I wanted to cancel it- because there have been some pretty awful reviews lately...but I then found (just as you said) lots of people saying how wonderful it was. So I think it will be fine- I just wish it would be GREAT! Oddly, the thing that's bugging me the most is the lack of a pool option for food. :confused3 That I just don't get!

Oh- and the food quality on DCL was VERY GOOD this trip- we all thought so. :thumbsup2 I enjoyed it all- well, maybe not those crab claws, they seemed frozen- but everything else was :thumbsup2!

About the pool food - I KNOW! We kept commenting on that, too. Inconvenient, although the buffet was just outside the cafe, so I guess it wasn't real far, but you had to go through a revolving door with a tray, and across two slippery decks, dodging people at the bar, or kids running out of the splash zone to get to the adult pool to enjoy it, so we didn't.

All too soon it was time to head back through the village toward port
IMGP2126.jpg

Half-way across the island, we were taken to a souvenier shop and told this was the best place to buy, family run place, and "the best prices, better than at the dock." We went in and looked around, the prices were a little high for Mexico, and the people running it were unfriendly and unwilling to bargain, so we didn't buy anything. This was our time to fill out surveys and tip the guides, also.:thumbsup2
We enjoyed a little more sun-in-your-face, wind-in-your-hair time. There were children playing in some of the yards and parking lots, waving shyly at us, we waved back, feeling like we were of course, the first caravan of Barbie Cars to drive by them!:goodvibes

We parked our cars and headed over to the little shops and found lots of great deals! I feel like we were held captive earlier and lied to - so glad we didn't fall for it.
We were looking for gifts, but I again hadn't anticipated as many tips, so I didn't have as much cash on me as I would have liked. We were on a quest for bargains!
We purchased some T-shirts for Jim and a work friend, I bought some vanilla for myself and a friend. We stopped and bought some whistles for the grandkids and an ornament for Christmas. As we headed back to the ship, we met these fine gentlemen, singing and smiling. I put a tip in their bucket, since I stopped to take a picture!

IMGP2127.jpg

I was looking forward to a little relaxation by the pool - we had decided to join Bev and Jenny for their late dinner tonight.

IMGP2128-1.jpg

There were several quests I had today:
A quest for a margarita and relaxation,
A quest for a sunset pic
"The Quest"

First, we made our way up to Deck 11 and got some seats on the "porch swing" type seats near the pool, and obtained a margarita. I took one last pic of the coastline:

IMGP2129.jpg

I tried to enjoy some peace and quiet, but some Hispanic ladies came and sat down near us and proceeded to have loud conversations in Spanish across us to some other ladies who were seated on the other side. There were lots of seats around, but apparently they felt this was "their spot" After a few minutes, of this they accomplished their mission, and we headed up to the room for a nap.

My friend Teresa back home had asked me to bring her a sunset picture, so I took several from the balcony, trying to get the perfect one:

IMGP2130.jpg

IMGP2131.jpg

IMGP2132.jpg

IMGP2132.jpg

This one won the best sunset of my trip award and was printed and placed in a frame for her:

IMGP2135.jpg

The Carnival Courage sailing in to the sunset:

IMGP2136.jpg

She turned directly in to the sun and slowly disappeared - kind of like the Black Pearl in the last POC movie:goodvibes

One last pic:

IMGP2137.jpg

We got ready for dinner and went out on our quest for dinner. I'll leave you here, and finish regaling you with tales of the rest of our evening when I come back!

great sunset pics, and i dont understand how some people cant at least have a general idea on what they wanna do in a few years

my inlaws, always are shocked when we start planning our camping trips 8 months out ( you can book 6 months out)

they say they dont know what they will be doing then to plan that far ahead, my response is thats exactly why you make the plans so you have something to do, and if something else comes up, you say sorry already have plans.:sad2:

same way people dont understand how you need to start planning disney trips a few years old, best way to get what you want and have a succesful trip.:thumbsup2 your doing it right, and keep on the family for the disney plans, sounds like it will be a great trip.

great sunset pics, and i dont understand how some people cant at least have a general idea on what they wanna do in a few years

my inlaws, always are shocked when we start planning our camping trips 8 months out ( you can book 6 months out)

they say they dont know what they will be doing then to plan that far ahead, my response is thats exactly why you make the plans so you have something to do, and if something else comes up, you say sorry already have plans.:sad2:

same way people dont understand how you need to start planning disney trips a few years old, best way to get what you want and have a succesful trip.:thumbsup2 your doing it right, and keep on the family for the disney plans, sounds like it will be a great trip.

Thanks for the encouragement Dan!:hug: Some people don't understand, but if you don't plan, it doesn't happen. How many people wait for "someday" and then someday never comes? I'm glad you get it and you will be providing your children with some great family memories!

Thanks for the encouragement Dan!:hug: Some people don't understand, but if you don't plan, it doesn't happen. How many people wait for "someday" and then someday never comes? I'm glad you get it and you will be providing your children with some great family memories!
:thumbsup2 thanks

ahh another trippy im behind in thanks to the darn holidays!

LOVE the barbie cars how fun. almost looks like the old skooby doo car too aside from the van they had.

Loving that you went into the lil amigO's room and not amigA's LOL hey weve all been there done that at least 3 times.. or maybe thats just me LOL

sunset pics look awesome you could almost make it into a flip book as you watch it set.

so excited for your upcoming vacations also, the west coast repo sounds so awesome please tell me another trip report will come of it!

I think the whole family to WDW is an awesome thing too. If they dont go Ill go with ya LOL

Oh and Jen tell Ron he's on my not nice list, for taking you away from visiting me in Cali. Fine I guess we will all just have to meet back up on a cruise. DARN.. ohh thats what we should call it a Dis Friends cruise! it can be better then a podcast on the Fantasy.

ok im ready for the rest now that im all caught up.. Ill try and be a better reader I swear!

ahh another trippy im behind in thanks to the darn holidays!

LOVE the barbie cars how fun. almost looks like the old skooby doo car too aside from the van they had.

Loving that you went into the lil amigO's room and not amigA's LOL hey weve all been there done that at least 3 times.. or maybe thats just me LOL

sunset pics look awesome you could almost make it into a flip book as you watch it set.

so excited for your upcoming vacations also, the west coast repo sounds so awesome please tell me another trip report will come of it!

I think the whole family to WDW is an awesome thing too. If they dont go Ill go with ya LOL

Oh and Jen tell Ron he's on my not nice list, for taking you away from visiting me in Cali. Fine I guess we will all just have to meet back up on a cruise. DARN.. ohh thats what we should call it a Dis Friends cruise! it can be better then a podcast on the Fantasy.

ok im ready for the rest now that im all caught up.. Ill try and be a better reader I swear!

No worries, I'm glad you made it back!
I would love to have one of those barbie cars about now to save gas! Might be a little cold up here though.:goodvibes
Thanks for the comments on the sunsets - I'm usually not too good with the camera.
I'll tell my kids we will give their room away if they don't make a decision!:thumbsup2
Thanks for your support! I'll finish up this Quest day tomorrow!

Hola, Hombre.... errrr, I mean, mujere!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think you're right, you and I would make a great traveling pair- after that story on my thread tonight. SHeesh!!! :rotfl2:

I really love me a mariachi band! I am one of those doofus who actually stop and watch Mariachi Cobre at the Mexico Pavilion at EPCOT and watch a whole set. I even downloaded a few of their songs, and play the while running. What a dork. But I do love it.

Mmmm... smuggled rum. Very nice!!

Hola, Hombre.... errrr, I mean, mujere!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think you're right, you and I would make a great traveling pair- after that story on my thread tonight. SHeesh!!! :rotfl2:

I really love me a mariachi band! I am one of those doofus who actually stop and watch Mariachi Cobre at the Mexico Pavilion at EPCOT and watch a whole set. I even downloaded a few of their songs, and play the while running. What a dork. But I do love it.

Mmmm... smuggled rum. Very nice!!

Hola Senora! :) I like Mariachi, but I get uncomfortable when I stop to listen, or when they are at the table because they all make eye contact with you, and it just feels like you don't know what to do - I guess get up and dance?

Gorgeous sunset pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny on the little boys room. The urinals always give it away when I do that. :rotfl2:

I live to plan. LOL. Seriously though, if I don't have something to look forward to, be it 2 months, 4 months, 8 or 11 or longer and plan around it's a problem. I need that next fun thing to get me through today. Even better if it's 2 or more next fun things to plan. Heck I have us planned out in my head for the next 2-3 years, Jeff just doesn't know it yet.

Hence the new ticker.

:rotfl:

Gorgeous sunset pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny on the little boys room. The urinals always give it away when I do that. :rotfl2:

I live to plan. LOL. Seriously though, if I don't have something to look forward to, be it 2 months, 4 months, 8 or 11 or longer and plan around it's a problem. I need that next fun thing to get me through today. Even better if it's 2 or more next fun things to plan. Heck I have us planned out in my head for the next 2-3 years, Jeff just doesn't know it yet.

Hence the new ticker.

:rotfl:

Yeah, my confusion over seeing urinals usually does it for me, but there were none in there :confused3 Actually, the first thing is usually the smell!:eek: Mothers, teach your boys to aim! Just sayin! :rolleyes1

Congrats on your ticker - I noticed it right away! I feel a little like an enabler! :rotfl2:

The rest of the story is coming up, but first we had our late dinner. Since we didn't really get back from our excursion until 4:30 and wanted some relaxation, we decided to have late seating dinner with Bev's crew. We had a great time, and our service was wonderful! The head waiter whom we had only met briefly on the first night, seemed to be a personal friend of Jack's! :thumbsup2 We got lots of special attention! It was fun to be at that table, because the table next to us had the company president, Rita Davenport, and a few of the other "big names" in our company. It was fun to see Rita stop and sing Happy Birthday to a little boy behind us.

pirate:pirate:About half-way through dinner, we heard a pirate voice come out over the speaker - everyone was looking all around, while some kind of pirate rhyme was spoken - then a whole bunch of little voices joined him! We looked up to see a Pirate Parade of little 5-8 yr olds! They walked them through the 3rd floor DR, around the mezzanine, and around and through the 2nd floor DR, and then stopped on the Titanic Stairs of our floor - all lined up on the stairway. The leader was a CM with a great pirate costume on, and all the little ones had little hats or bandanas on with little plastic swords. So cute!!! I was mad that I didn't bring my camera to dinner! :mad:pirate:pirate:

On the Disney cruise, there is a designated pirate night with guests and CMs all dressed up, and a Pirates IN the Caribbean party on Deck 9 with characters and dancing and a buffet and FIREWORKS!!!

We discovered later that we had missed a pirate parade on the Promenade - here are some banners still up:
IMGP2141.jpg

With dinner over, we were excited because our favorite Karoeke singers had been asked to perform in tonight's "80's Dance Party!" We convinced Bev (who can sing, too) and Jenny and crew that they just HAD to come and see how good our "friends" were. So we went to the ice arena and got seats for this show we were so excited for.

The show was fun, but we were so disappointed. They didn't let our performers sing, there was recorded music that the entertainment staff danced to in costume, and our karoeke friends came out and danced with the crew for certain numbers. Not what we were hoping for.

NEXT UP = THE Quest

Liberty has a very famous Adults only game called "The Quest." I had read that it was really fun and a "don't miss." So I of course filled everyone in and we all stayed waiting for this to happen. The CD came out and did some audience warm up and chose some team captains. Then he proceeded to ask them for things, and the audience seated in their section was to help them get these things and the first team to accomplish each "Quest" got a score. The team with the highest score at the end would win.

There was alot of craziness and hilarity, and alot of it was fun!
I'll see if I can remember a little of it:
1. Bring me some men's pants - so the men proceeded to take off their pants and run up with them - the CD proceeded to tell them they could have just come up there IN their pants.
2. There were a couple of "scavenger-type" things like that - "sparkly purse" "lip gloss" Teams of two guys doing "pony races" - a little strange. :confused3 but it made everyone laugh at their predicament.
3. Now here we were a little disappointed with the CD - Most thought this was funny, but our group, while we don't consider ourselves really prudes, we also have some religious views about conducting ourselves with some dignity, and to be true to our faith in our actions. So some of the things that happened next made us very uncomfortable.
The CD got a man and a woman who were not a couple out on the floor from each team, and called out positions they had to perform - "Hot Dog" "Doggie Hug" - I don't know - most of the audience thought it was funny!
4. Next, they called out the "biggest biker dude looking guy" from each section - Jim was sliding way down in his seat at this point - ;)

So we had a certain amount of time to get this guy dressed up for a beauty contest! We all donated items - A scarf, shoes, a purse, a necklace, lipstick, a skirt, a bra. Now these things came off audience members - at one point, we looked down in the front row, and there is a tiny little 18 or 19 yr old girl sitting in the front row in just her bra on top (which really probably covered more than her bikini top at the pool) She had donated her little tiny blouse for this 300 lb. man to wear - what? :confused: Obviously she just wanted an excuse to undress. Jim's comment, "What if that was your daughter?" And where did the bra he was wearing come from? Maybe someone brought it in their bag - Yeah, that's it. Someone brought it in their bag. We did laugh alot at how he looked, and then the fashion show ensued, and they chose a pageant winner by applause - our team didn't win. :sad2:

We were a little disgusted with some of the things audience members chose to do, and the CD put people up to a few things. But, as I said, this gets good reviews and it seems like alot of people like it. Jim was grumpy and said he wished we had walked out.

I know Disney has something like this, but I haven't seen it. Is it a little milder or wilder?? Anyone? :confused3

By this time it was about 11:30 and we had had a busy day, so it was time to put grumpy to bed! ;)
NEXT: Last Toe Time

[/SIZE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter